• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel, Still King In Gaming.

Leonidas

I am unable to start threads in an even handed way. I tried to incite a platform war by being edgy. I even spammed my own thread to fan the flames. I have no been removed so the adults can talk.
The king of the hill for gaming performance is still the Core i9-9900K
Intel still holds the absolute performance crown in gaming
When it comes to gaming performance, the 9700K and 9900K remain the best performing CPUs on the market.
Intel's high clockspeeds and supporting elements such as the core ringbus still give them the best performance in the kind of lightly-threaded and tightly-threaded scenarios that games often follow.
Our recommendation for a gaming PC is Intel.

Not bad for a 2015 microarchitecture still on 14nm.

Last edited:

kegkilla

Banned
When is Ice Lake supposed to release for Desktop? I'm reading 2021 but that seems way too far away.

Leonidas

When is Ice Lake supposed to release for Desktop? I'm reading 2021 but that seems way too far away.

Who knows, but Zen 3 vs Ice Lake should be interesting whenever that battle takes place. Then Skylake will finally fall after 5+ years of being the fastest architecture for gaming.

Leonidas

Dude, are you ok? You seem to be trying really hard to make Intel noticed while AMD is coming back from the ashes... it's ok to have your favorite company out of focus for a while. Everything will be ok.

I'm fine, just thought I'd point out something that I've said all along but got a bit of flack for...

llien

3900x is slightly more expensive than 9900K/9900KF. 9900K is faster in gaming at a lower price.
3700x, on the other hand, is $329, price diff to 9900k allows you to go from 5700 (that thoroughly kicks 2060's butt, at $349) to 5700XT anniversary edition (should be at around 2070 super levels)

Last edited:

Leonidas

3700x, on the other hand, is $329, diff to 9900k allows you to go from 5700 to 5700XT anniversary edition.

And 9700KF is $380. Faster than 3900X (which AMD described as gaming CPU) with over $100 saving.
Your argument is weak.

Yeah, 2% faster while losing 10% or more on pretty much all the rest. Makes sense.

This is a gaming forum so I thought I'd make a thread about the thing that is most relevant to the forum.

Last edited:
I hate Intel and I hope AMD buries them, but Intel processors are still the best deal for gaming for the most part.
I would imagine like 95% of gamers wouldnt notice the difference between AMD and Intel the last few years. Intel switching up chipsets so iften now kind of elimates any value they had as well.

Havent really been an Intel fan since since the i3 lost relevance. $200 Ryzen has been plenty for me.

Leonidas

there's almost no difference in the gaming benchmarks...AMD has officially caught up to Intel!

3900X at $500 trades blows with 7700K in gaming, so yeah I guess they did catch a 30 month old Intel CPU.
A bit slower than the cheaper 9700KF though.

Ivellios

After watching the Linus Tech tips latest video i don't know how anyone could be trying to praise intel and their cpu's. over Amd new offering.

Yeah, I9 9900K may win by ~2% in raw performance, so congratulations on the victory of being the gaming CPU king.

But in Price/Performance, nothing Intel have comes close to Ryzen 3700X.

kegkilla

Banned
Yeah, I9 9900K may win by ~2% in raw performance, so congratulations on the victory of being the gaming CPU king.

But in Price/Performance, nothing Intel have comes close to Ryzen 3700X.
Unless the rumored price cuts come to realization.

FireFly

For gaming performance it's a terrible value. 9700KF is faster and $120 cheaper.

3900x is the worst value Ryzen CPU in terms of gaming performance right now.
Being a single percentage point faster doesn't make the i9 9900k good value for money either. If all you care about is gaming performance, why would you pay that extra $100 for 1% more performance at 1080p?

The 3900X is intended for people that game and also need great multithreaded performance, but the i9 9900k has no such redeeming qualities. If you only care about gaming, buy an i7 9700k or 3700X. If you care about gaming and multithreaded performance, buy a 3900X.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I just do t see them as competitors. It’s like Amazon Fire Tablet vs iPad. There’s a market for AMD in the budget category and for Intel in the professional and enthusiast space.

DW74

A market ruled by Nvidia and Intel would look a lot different than it does today. Hello $5k computers! (again)

AMD is necessary, and rooting for them to do poorly is lame, at best. I am glad to see them back making relevant products again. I miss the 90s when there were multiple relevant makers of cpu's and gpu's. It made things more interesting.

SonGoku

Manufacturing CPUs in 2019 using 2015 architecture with more holes than Swiss cheese its nothing to brag about.
Either they are very incompetent to the point a company with one tenth the resources caught up to them or they just don't give a fuck anymore and will continue milking customers

Thank god for amd, otherwise we'll still be stuck with $400 quad cores and $600 hexacores.
Imagine celebrating intels sheer incompetence and greediness, at least nvidia despite their markups still develops top of the line architectures in absence of competition.
If you're spending $380 or more on a CPU Intel is simply faster in gaming.
Imagine spending $400 on a CPU to game at 720p

Last edited:
If you're spending $380 or more on a CPU Intel is simply faster in gaming.
AMD is better value on the lower end, but Intel also competes decently down there too in terms of gaming.
And that extra money put towards marginally faster performance isn't worth it. I can use that money to go up a tier in the GPU department, for example. That also affects overall gaming performance.

The 3700X has the best value and very good gaming performance that is competitive against the 9700K.

Top Bottom