• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel reports a drop in revenue of 32% YoY

winjer

Gold Member

Intel finished 2022 on wobbly legs but is steadfast in its belief that greener pastures are looming. Intel reported revenue of $14.0 billion for the fourth quarter ending December 31, 2022, which is down 32 percent compared to the same period a year earlier. Gross margin slid to 39.2 percent from 53.6 percent a year earlier, and net income (loss) was $644 million. Earnings per share (loss) for the quarter checked in at $0.16.

Notably, Intel remained profitable for the full year with $63.1 billion in total revenue and net income of $8.01 billion. For comparison, Intel generated $79 billion in revenue and $19.9 billion in net income in 2021.

Intel boss Pat Gelsinger said despite the economic and market headwinds, they continued to make good progress on their strategic transformation in the fourth quarter which included advancing their product roadmap and improving operational structure and processes to further drive efficiencies.

In 2023, Gelsinger said, they will continue to work through short-term challenges. Intel CEO David Zinsner added that steps taken to right-size the organization and rationalize investments underpin cost-reduction targets of $3 billion in 2023 and puts them on the road to achieving $8 billion to $10 billion in savings by the end of 2025.

None of this is terribly surprising as Intel's results reflect what has taken place across the wider PC market in recent months.

Market analyst IDC recently said shipments of traditional PCs were down 28.1 percent over the holidays compared to the same period in 2021. Shipments of hard drives were nearly split in half last year and even peripheral maker Logitech saw sales slide around 23 percent during the holiday quarter.

Strong competition from market rival AMD has not helped Intel's efforts either, nor has Apple's trek into in-house hardware. Apple started the transition to its own processor design in late 2020 and at this point, nearly every new Mac is offered with Apple silicon inside.

Share value in Intel is down more than seven percent as of this writing.

The global PC market continues on free fall. Intel is not the only one with falling revenue, as NVidia and AMD are expected to present similar results for the fiscal year.
With no pressure from mining, or covid restrictions, who knows when the PC market will stop it's decline. It also doesn't help that several tech companies continue to push prices up, especially with GPUs.

flying_sq

That sucks, but I'm still holding my stock position. I'm liking an Intel investment right now, I think it's going to be like AMD in the 2000s to today.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I kinda have the itch to upgrade but my 10700k still does everything I need it to. No reason to upgrade for me at the moment.

Neo_game

Intel has good products IMO, looking forward to their next GPU, A770 has potential, better than 6700XT in RT and matches 3060ti, it also scales well with high resolution. Drivers are also improving so they can do well in mid and lowe end market I think. Sadly both Intel and AMD combined are still probably no where near Nvidia I fear but it will be intresting to know their numbers.

Dorago

There are a million hardware options that all suck. Windows 10/11 sucks. Games have terrible performance on PC regardless of CPU/GPU/RAM overhead. VR fizzled because you need a "think" interface to make it immersive. At lest emulation is strong now and sale prices are really good on catalog titles. But really, why would anyone bother building a new system for AAA games right now?

diffusionx

Gold Member
The big problem for Intel is the growth and expansion of x86 from mobile to, well, everything. Apple’s chips prove the viability and advantages of ARM on laptops so expect to see more of it going forward. You have ARM in HPC and servers now too. It’s a huge, existential problem for them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolutely in line with what I was expressing earlier in the week.

20 to 30 percent down YoY seems to be the norm amongst pc tech.

Consoles seem to be bucking the trend vs pandemic peak 2021.

It's been pretty interesting watching once mighty Intel decaying the past decade.

Once someone other than Apple figures out ARM on desktop the end of x86 will be complete and Intel will truly be finished. Until then they just kind of shamble along like the zombie they are today.

Time to lift those China restrictions. It's hurting the chip industry (And my stock) :messenger_kissing_smiling:
Intel has zero near term upside and dire long term prospects. I wouldn't be holding INTC when I could be into AMD, NVDA, TSM, ASML, God there's so many semiconductor plays out there superior to Intel these days.

Intel has zero near term upside and dire long term prospects. I wouldn't be holding INTC when I could be into AMD, NVDA, TSM, ASML, God there's so many semiconductor plays out there superior to Intel these days.
Time to move from chips to batteries. I'm looking at more BYD. Missed the big first year push from 2021. :( That was the same year Intel dropped.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Start delivering better value at better prices.

All of the miner business was a house of cards that’s collapsed. Back to reality.
What about more power usage at higher prices?!
How does 400watt strikes you?! everything is possible !

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Right? Fuck efficiency. Let’s go with a massive power sucking slab for a mortgage payment. Better get a $200 power supply!
Here, I’ll introduce it in my leather jacket for you all to swoon at.

Last edited:
Time to move from chips to batteries. I'm looking at more BYD. Missed the big first year push from 2021. :( That was the same year Intel dropped.
I mean in terms of EV plays there's this one company out there you might have heard of. This dude named Elon Musk, he's pretty obscure, he has this little EV company I heard people like these days.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That's another good point. Their current cpu's use so much power and heat. I'd legitimately consider the AMD 7800X3D over the 13700K and 13900K because it will most likely run cooler and work fine with my air cooler.

Last edited:
Rough quarter for gaming in general it seems like. Curious to see Nintendo and Sony.

This has virtually nothing to do with gaming and far more to do with the complete tanking of Intel cores for the desktop and server sectors.

That said. Intel's decades-long complacency led them here. A 32% drop in their revenue is a big fat fucking...

Frustrated World Cup GIF

...but it;'s one they duly deserve.

Last edited:
Can't afford that. :( Maybe if he tweets some more it will come down to my range.
Bro he blew it up -75% by January 6th, if that wasn't low enough for you I don't know what to tell you. It's now back up 60% as of today from the low set on the 6th. What a wild ride it's been since October when the Twitter acquisition closed.

winjer

Gold Member
A bit more detail

Intel has reported its rather negative fourth-quarter and full-year 2022 financial results. The company's revenue for the fourth quarter was $20.2 billion, with a net income of $5.2 billion. For the full year, the company's revenue was $78.9 billion, with a net income of $19.8 billion.

The company also announced that its board of directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.365 per share on the company's common stock. This dividend will be payable on March 1, 2023, to shareholders of record as of February 7, 2023. This dividend payout is a sign of the company's financial stability and commitment to returning value to its shareholders.

"Despite the economic and market headwinds, we continued to make good progress on our strategic transformation in Q4, including advancing our product roadmap and improving our operational structure and processes to drive efficiencies while delivering at the low-end of our guided range," said Pat Gelsinger, Intel CEO. "In 2023, we will continue to navigate the short-term challenges while striving to meet our long-term commitments, including delivering leadership products anchored on open and secure platforms, powered by at-scale manufacturing and supercharged by our incredible team."

"In the fourth quarter, we took steps to right-size the organization and rationalize our investments, prioritizing the areas where we can deliver the highest value for the long term," said David Zinsner, Intel CFO. "These actions underpin our cost-reduction targets of $3 billion in 2023, and set the stage to achieve $8 billion to $10 billion by the end of 2025."

Business Unit Summary
Intel previously announced several organizational changes to accelerate its execution and innovation by allowing it to capture growth in both large traditional markets and high-growth emerging markets. This includes the reorganization of Intel's business units to capture this growth and provide increased transparency, focus and accountability. As a result, the company modified its segment reporting in the first quarter of 2022 to align to the previously announced business reorganization. All prior-period segment data has been retrospectively adjusted to reflect the way the company internally manages and monitors operating segment performance starting in fiscal year 2022.

Business Highlights

• Intel continues to make progress with its goal of achieving five nodes in four years and is on track to regain transistor performance and power performance leadership by 2025. Intel 7 is now in high-volume manufacturing for both client and server. Intel 4 is manufacturing-ready, with the Meteor Lake ramp expected in the second half of 2023. Intel 3 continues to progress and is on track. On Intel 20A and Intel 18A, Intel's first internal test chips, and those of a major potential foundry customer, have taped out with products undergoing fabrication.
  • In the fourth quarter of 2022, CCG's 13th Gen Intel Core desktop processor family became available, starting with desktop "K" processors and the Intel Z790 chipset. Additionally, in December 2022, in partnership with ASUS, Intel officially set a new world record for overclocking, pushing the 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K past the 9 gigahertz barrier for the first time ever.
  • In January 2023, DCAI launched its 4th Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors (formerly code-named Sapphire Rapids) with the support of customers and partners such as Dell Technologies, Google Cloud, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Lenovo, Microsoft Azure, NVIDIA and many others, and is ramping production to meet a strong backlog of demand.
  • NEX achieved a second consecutive year of double-digit revenue growth, hitting key product milestones with Intel IPU E2000 (Mount Evans), Raptor Lake P&S, Alder Lake N and Sapphire Rapids.
  • AXG delivered record revenue for both the fourth quarter and full year. In January 2023, AXG launched the Intel Xeon CPU Max Series (formerly code-named Sapphire Rapids HBM) and the Intel Data Center GPU Max Series (formerly code-named Ponte Vecchio). Intel also announced that with AXG's flagship products now in production, the company is evolving AXG's structure to accelerate and scale its impact and drive go-to-market strategies with a unified voice to customers. Accordingly, the consumer graphics teams will join CCG, and the accelerated computing teams will join DCAI.
  • IFS achieved record revenue for both the fourth quarter and full year, with active design engagements with seven of the 10 largest foundry customers. It also added a leading cloud, edge and data center solutions provider as a customer to Intel 3.
  • Intel completed the IPO of Mobileye, which achieved record revenue for both the fourth quarter and full year of 2022. Mobileye continued to execute well in its core advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) business, as it launched systems into 233 distinct vehicle models in 2022.
Business Outlook
Intel's guidance for the first quarter of 2023 includes both GAAP and non-GAAP estimates. Reconciliations between GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures are included below.

And now even Intel's CEO admits they lost the fabrication advantage to TSMC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's another good point. Their current cpu's use so much power and heat. I'd legitimately consider the AMD 7800X3D over the 13700K and 13900K because it will most likely run cooler and work fine with my air cooler.
I use dark rock pro 4 cooler on 3700x and it's already giving it a run for it's money.
Can't imagine cooling these 300w cpus with it

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The big 3 are all in for some rough times, especially NVIDIA, they thought now was the best time for their massive price increases 💩

NVIDIA are trying to push their profit margins over 70% 🤣

phant0m

It's been pretty interesting watching once mighty Intel decaying the past decade.

Once someone other than Apple figures out ARM on desktop the end of x86 will be complete and Intel will truly be finished. Until then they just kind of shamble along like the zombie they are today.
I’m kinda shocked nVidia hasn’t come to market with a Tegra-like processor for PC. ARM CPU Cores w/ integrated GPU at like GTX1080 level. Bet it would sell hotcakes in a 13 or 14” ultrabook format.

I suppose the big problem is Windows on ARM is real young still and everything shipped for “PC” is still compiled for x86

That sucks, but I'm still holding my stock position. I'm liking an Intel investment right now, I think it's going to be like AMD in the 2000s to today.

You listen to your own advice but I can't see that. Next quarter is going to be rough as well. Market will continue to drop across the board.

Long term outlook is worrying for Intel with AMD eating their lucrative server business and increased competition from other companies. All of which are new threats that Intel did not have to seriously deal with 5 years ago.

The market has shrunk and thus intel with it. Whether they have lost market share is yet to be said.

According to Gartner, Q4 worldwide PC shipments declined a stunning 28.5%

They have lost server market share which is grave news for their shareholders. They used to enjoy 95% of that market.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
If NVIDIA is overpricing their GPUs, it boggles my mind that AMD and/or Intel haven't made a play to undercut them. If NVIDIA is making (and I'm making this up) 50% profit margin on their cards, one of these smaller companies could gain market share by putting MSRP on a like GPU closer to manufacturing cost.

Feel like the PC market is hungry for this.

So, someone who knows more about this, why haven't they?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If NVIDIA is overpricing their GPUs, it boggles my mind that AMD and/or Intel haven't made a play to undercut them. If NVIDIA is making (and I'm making this up) 50% profit margin on their cards, one of these smaller companies could gain market share by putting MSRP on a like GPU closer to manufacturing cost.

Feel like the PC market is hungry for this.

So, someone who knows more about this, why haven't they?
Businesses like making money?

It's all well and fine for us to sit here saying AMD/Intel should undercut Nvidia/AMD but they are out to make $ and if they think they can get away with ripping off you and me they will do it. The bubble has well and truly burst since the mining/COVID days. Nvidia are trying to milk everyone dry and of course so too are AMD/Intel. They are paying for it now.

To you and me it would make sense to try undercut the competition but that's not how these people think. They want to build upon profits no matter how unrealistic they are. They don't care about the people buying their products and only keeping their shareholders happy. Now these companies are finding out after fucking around we'll see them try to suck back up to customers.

darrylgorn

I'm all for lower prices but let's not be naive about the real cause here.

People just don't care to have high end hardware like they used to.

hlm666

They did 72 billion revenue with 21 billion net income in 2019 for some pre pandemic numbers. So these bad numbers are not just a correction on pandemic demand.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Businesses like making money?

It's all well and fine for us to sit here saying AMD/Intel should undercut Nvidia/AMD but they are out to make $ and if they think they can get away with ripping off you and me they will do it. The bubble has well and truly burst since the mining/COVID days. Nvidia are trying to milk everyone dry and of course so too are AMD/Intel. They are paying for it now.

To you and me it would make sense to try undercut the competition but that's not how these people think. They want to build upon profits no matter how unrealistic they are. They don't care about the people buying their products and only keeping their shareholders happy. Now these companies are finding out after fucking around we'll see them try to suck back up to customers.
Why do they think they can get away with it? If I'm a shareholder for AMD/Intel, and I've seen them go heads up to NVIDIA and lose, I want to see a new strategy ASAP. I want more market share and brand loyalty to help in the long-term. I don't see how selling more units at a lower price wouldn't give them a better return than going head-to-head with NVIDIA at the same price range and losing. Is it pride? Do they really think they have cards that can directly compete with NVIDIA, with less performance per dollar and make any sort of headway?

Hope you're right about the bolded.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Great news as their products are consistently too expensive. Barely matching AMD is not a good argument, drop those fucking prices.

Drew1440

I'm suprised nvidia hasn't released a desktop class CPU using their ARM Denver/Carmel cores, with intel entering the dedicated graphics market you would think this would be top priority.
Worst case they get bought out by Nvidia
Woudnt they lose the x86 license?

ARM has yet to be proven to scale up to the same power envelopes as its x86 competitors.

It's not like AMD's wins over Intel have all been universal.

Top Bottom