• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel fails to launch Arc desktop GPUs on time

winjer

Gold Member

The company has set a goal to launch Limited Edition GPUs this summer, but summer is over and there are no graphics cards.

A very long Arc marketing campaign with nearly every detail now uncovered has not provided the most basic one, when will Arc GPUs actually launch for desktop PCs. One could argue that Arc GPUs did launch for desktop and that is true, except in a form of low-end A3 graphics card.

But the Arc A380 is neither high-end, nor available everywhere yet. Companies such as ASRock have only just started offering this model in Europe. The A3 series is not what gamers want, though. Intel has been teasing its mid-range A5 and A7 graphics coming later this summer, but the company has failed to fulfil this promise.

The summer is now officially over and there are no Arc Limited Edition GPUs.
To make matters worse, Intel has not revealed the launch date of the new GPUs. In fact, we don’t even know how much are they going to cost. There is also a problem of competition, who are not waiting for Intel, but pushing their next-gen GPUs forward. NVIDIA has just revealed Ada Lovelace GeForce RTX 40 series, now slated for October 12th launch (RTX 4090), while AMD is now officially planning to introduce RDNA3 GPUs on November 3rd.

The good news is that neither NVIDIA nor AMD are particularly interested in mid-range GPU market, so where the A770/A750 GPUs are now targeted for. So there is still a chance for Intel to fill the market with some affordable GPUs.

Intel has an Innovation event coming on September 27th where the company is said to unveil desktop 13th Gen Core “Raptor Lake-S” CPUs. It would be perfect timing to launch Arc A7 GPUs as well. At least this way, Intel will fulfil its earlier promise to launch ‘desktop GPUs in Q3’, the GPUs everyone has been waiting for.

Raja delivers again.................disappointment.

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Tripolygon

Banned
We all need to be rooting for Intel to get it together here. Look at how high Nvidia is pricing their GPU and AMD will no doubt be just as high. Intel will no doubt price lower than both. We saw this in the CPU market where Intel was charging $400 for 4 core CPUs until AMD got their shit together.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
IIRC they only had planned to sell 4 million graphics cards, across all SKUs.

It looks like Alchemist is little more than a pipecleaner and a project where they take a loss to enter the GPU market rather cautiously. Perhaps they'll be more competitive with Battlemage, especially if it's a chiplet solution.

adamosmaki

We all need to be rooting for Intel to get it together here. Look at how high Nvidia is pricing their GPU and AMD will no doubt be just as high. Intel will no doubt price lower than both. We saw this in the CPU market where Intel was charging $400 for 4 core CPUs until AMD got their shit together.
i doubt AMD will priced them as high as Nvidia but most likely they will indeed priced them higher than what probably intended to thanks to Nvidia

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Exactly. I wish Intel the best, so it drives Nvidia prices down and I can spend my money there. Sadly, Nvidia has people by the balls because they have the best tech by a mile.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I was hoping, blindly and naively, against hope, that Intel would provide some much needed competition against Nvidia when entering this space.

Goddammit.

DaGwaphics

They are having their troubles and certainly making it easy for us to laugh about their efforts, but I still think it will be good to have them around as a third option. Give them a couple more series (I would expect them to iterate quickly at first) and they might have something competitive.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
Intel have the money and the talent to do it, i'm not sure why people expect them to get
everything right from the get go, they just need time

BWJinxing

Intel have the money and the talent to do it, i'm not sure why people expect them to get
As a intel shareholder, they have been fucking up.

They made cellular modems that went into the iPhone, I don't recall the generation, they were less favored then the Qualcomm part. Apple brought that part of the business.

They made cable modem chips, the puma 6 had a flaw that still cause the modems to choke data in certain senarios. They no longer make cable modem chips.

Intel has made other blunders, the itanium CPUs we're a flop, specture bugs, CPU recalls in the 90s... Amd isn't perfect either.

Intel of recent, has had more disappointments by not getting enough right at the start. They have fairly solid consumer CPUs, but everything else is impacted by not enough effort at the start.

Time will only get you so far, but they have killed other ventures for profitablity.

HoodWinked

Intel fucked up thier timing. If they had just released 2 years ago. Instead they are going to release in the worst possible period as costs are exploding, while prices and demand are falling.

winjer

Gold Member

The issue is that Intel has announced Arch and it's launch a few times, made tons of videos promoting it, and interviews, and ads.
And they keep delaying the launch of the cards. And have the worst drivers.
If they kept quiet, fixed everything and just made the announcements when things were truly ready, they wouldn't be making a fool out of themselves.

Top Bottom