• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel DG2 Graphics Card Leakers Suggest Performance Similar to NVIDIA RTX 3070, about 10% slower than AMD RX 6700XT

llien

Intel's foray into the discrete GPU market is inching ever closer, and with that diminishing time to market, leaks are getting more common. Renowned leaker TUM_APISAK has shared some performance numbers for Intel's upcoming DG2 graphics card, part of the company's Xe HPG (High Performance Gaming) architecture. In the leak, he also confirmed that Intel is working on a cut-down version of their top offering (which features 4,096 shading units spread across 512 EUs) in the form of a new SKU that offers 448 EUs and 3584 shading units running at 1.8 GHz. That is the actual chip whose relative performance was shared.

According to TUM_APISAK, users should expect the Intel DG2 448 EU graphics card to offer performance that's around the NVIDIA RTX 3070 (5% lower performance for the Intel part) and AMD's RX 6700 XT (8% lower performance for the Intel part). As for the performance of the full-fat 512 EU chip, another leaker, Moore's Law is Dead, expects its performance to fall very slightly lower than the performance offered by NVIDIA's RTX 3080 and AMD's RX 6800/6800 XT. The 512-EU DG2 should also feature higher Boost clocks up to 2.2 GHz. Intel's launch of their Xe HPG graphics architecture is expected to occur before the end of the year, likely starting with the highest performance/highest margin parts, trickling down the product stack through the beginning of 2022. Intel's launch should help in alleviating the lack of available graphics cards, whilst simultaneously breaking a duopoly market.

bJfel6X.jpg
cSxBJ16.jpg

TechPowerUp

Pagusas

Elden Member
if they can get a large quantity of them out, at good prices, this could be perfect timing for them to make major inroads.

I fully expect intel to fuck it up and price the things way to high or be missing features like ray tracing.

Last edited:

reksveks

I am quite excited by Intel at the moment but think both AMD/Intel need to show some competency in showing hardware that excel at ML and Raytracing tasks.

FingerBang

if they can get a large quantity of them out, at good prices, this could be perfect timing for them to make major inroads.

I fully expect intel to fuck it up and price the things way to high or be missing features like ray tracing.
They should be able to produce more of them, since they own the manufacturing facilities.
I imagine they'll pull a Ryzen and push some powerful GPUs at a lower price than the competition to start building market share. This is good, there's space for a third player.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Intel needs to put all this resources into regaining some degree of relevance again in the CPU sector. Personally I don't really care for their introduction into the graphics card market unless it's going to drive prices down and then this type of market that is not happening anytime soon.

PhoenixTank

They should be able to produce more of them, since they own the manufacturing facilities.
I imagine they'll pull a Ryzen and push some powerful GPUs at a lower price than the competition to start building market share. This is good, there's space for a third player.
Intel's DG2 is fabbed on TSMC's N6 node, not their own 10nm superfin, as far as we know.

Some related reading on N6 production estimates this year:

Armorian

Banned
6700xt is not faster than 3070 (aside ac Valhalla optimized to hell for amd and not even using 100% of Nvidia gpus, far from power W used in other games).

synce

Good to see more competition, though something tells me the MSRP will be in line with scalper prices for today's cards, seeing as people have proven they're willing to buy that high.

PhoenixTank

Oh, there goes their advantage...

I wonder if it's just a temporary measure
Low 10nm confidence levels perhaps during design. DG2's chips will be bigger than CPUs (I think/assume?) too so could be limitations there - only recently seeing more than 4 CPU cores on 10nm.
They'll want designs fabbed in house as soon as they can without a doubt but will be weighed against how effective their own processes are vs the competition.

Those benchmarks don't tell shit. Lets see how their gpus perform in real world scenarios.
I bet Intel is gonna have a hard time making games run smoothly and without graphic issues in most games.
Can't imagine them releasing those gpus without many driver-related issues.

ManaByte

Gold Member
In 2021 no one who games really goes out and buys a Soundblaster card. In the 90s every gaming PC had one. Now that's been replaced with a GPU due to sound being integrated. I've been wondering how long until the same thing happened with graphics to a powerful enough level.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Hope they really have a team going in on driver support. Would love to see the market open up and be more competitive.

Allandor

I really don't believe this. Intel was never good with GPUs. The i740 was nice at that time but Intel dropped it after that and never really came back.
In the end they just "win" by cherry picking or something like that (e.g. memory bandwidth test).
It would be nice if there would be another challenger but Intel + drivers for games :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is mining still profitable, despite major crash in crypto?

A 3080 will still generate around $1,500/year at current prices. Who knows how it will go when Eth goes to proof of stake. As long as BTC is stable, I'd imagine another coin like ETC, Raven, or Firo will step in and the cycle will continue.

Who gives a fuck about ray tracing when you can’t buy a card with it at a sane price. Good performance at a reasonable cost will be sufficient.

Last edited:

Amiga

Intel still has a big advantage in retail channels. I think these blue GPUs will be mainly bundled in "intel desktop gaming PC" at Best Buy. casuals who buy these will be very happy with the 3070 like performance.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a recent report from Tom's Hardware, which itself cites a tweet, it seems that at least one of the upcoming Intel DG2 cards will be able to take on some of the big leagues in the industry, mainly Nvidia. A benchmark test being conducted on the 2016 game Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation shows the specific GPU tested may very well be on par with the likes of the RTX 3070, or 3070 Ti, with even a slight possibility of it being up there with the RTX 3080. This means that, whichever card it is that was being used, has the potential to sit right up there with some of the top-end products.

This also matches with what was discussed not that long ago. Back in October, a leak suggested the Intel Alchemist could take on the RTX 3070 Ti, and this latest benchmark test does show that this may be the case, after all. Of course, there are some provisos that need to be stipulated, which the report does warn readers about. The most notable thing is that the specific DG2 card is not mention, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly which model was tested. The report goes on to say that the Intel GPU was tested on an i9 processor and 32 GB of RAM, which is not that common.

xPikYx

Very bad honestly, they are coming on the market late and they don't even compete with the top tiers. Shame

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Very bad honestly, they are coming on the market late and they don't even compete with the top tiers. Shame
If it performs like a 3070 but costs less, why wouldn't people gunning for a 3070, surely more than 3090 buyers, get it? Because they don't have a model against the latter? Now if they don't have features the 3070 has, like something to counter DLSS, that's a different matter and actually, matters.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good effort for the first chips made by TSMC. If this has good raytracing and is a decent price, intel can make a bit of a splash.

VFXVeteran

Banned

According to a recent report from Tom's Hardware, which itself cites a tweet, it seems that at least one of the upcoming Intel DG2 cards will be able to take on some of the big leagues in the industry, mainly Nvidia. A benchmark test being conducted on the 2016 game Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation shows the specific GPU tested may very well be on par with the likes of the RTX 3070, or 3070 Ti, with even a slight possibility of it being up there with the RTX 3080. This means that, whichever card it is that was being used, has the potential to sit right up there with some of the top-end products.

This also matches with what was discussed not that long ago. Back in October, a leak suggested the Intel Alchemist could take on the RTX 3070 Ti, and this latest benchmark test does show that this may be the case, after all. Of course, there are some provisos that need to be stipulated, which the report does warn readers about. The most notable thing is that the specific DG2 card is not mention, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly which model was tested. The report goes on to say that the Intel GPU was tested on an i9 processor and 32 GB of RAM, which is not that common.

Rasterization performance isn't the big elephant in the room anymore - it's ray-tracing.

xPikYx

If it performs like a 3070 but costs less, why wouldn't people gunning for a 3070, surely more than 3090 buyers, get it? Because they don't have a model against the latter? Now if they don't have features the 3070 has, like something to counter DLSS, that's a different matter and actually, matters.
The only reason to choose this is not even the price that I think won't be cheap, but the actual availability. What's the point to buy something that release old on the market?

Kenpachii

Its not fast enough, both amd and nvidia will double there performance next year most likely, eye balling sub 3070 performance is basically being behind massively.

This gpu is going to be fine if its available, i am curious to see there DLSS solution.

Last edited:
If it comes with a decent implementation of their DLSS solution and enough availability it would sell a lot.

In fact, if Intel plays their cards right then without consoles AMD would have to dig their own grave :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Drew1440

Nice to see another GPU vendor enter the game after we've had the Nvidia/AMD duopoly for nearly two decades (Although we did have Matrox for a couple of years)

Intel still has a big advantage in retail channels. I think these blue GPUs will be mainly bundled in "intel desktop gaming PC" at Best Buy. casuals who buy these will be very happy with the 3070 like performance.
They also have good releationships with Dell/HP/Lenovo who will no doubt integrate these GPU's within the gaming PC lines.

Kenpachii

Nice to see another GPU vendor enter the game after we've had the Nvidia/AMD duopoly for nearly two decades (Although we did have Matrox for a couple of years)

They also have good releationships with Dell/HP/Lenovo who will no doubt integrate these GPU's within the gaming PC lines.

They are already the biggest GPU vendor on PC. If they can make those chips cheap enough it could very well replace AMD entirely the next day.

Haggard

Banned
Rasterization performance isn't the big elephant in the room anymore - it's ray-tracing.
With the consoles as the lead platforms being as limited as they are in this sector this might be a somewhat hasty assumption.

Last edited:

amc

Oh man, the perfect sly dig headline for the forum's AMD nut. Bet he's only posting this intel news so he has a chance to throw a bit of 'AMD beats Nvidia' fud.

As stated, the 6700xt isn't more powerful than a 3070, apart from in a couple of games which are purposefully optimised for AMD at the expense of Nvidia.

And no, I don't have a 3070.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Almost catching up to two year old cards isn't that exciting on its face but this is all foundational work. I think the future is bright for Intel as they move to new process nodes and open up new fabs, but this stuff takes years.

I would not likely want to move to a third party GPU real soon, for the driver support alone.

Top Bottom