• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core i9-12900K Alder Lake CPU "Destroys" AMD Ryzen 9 5950X In Single-Core & Mult-Threaded Benchmark Leak

winjer

Gold Member
Seems to be a fantastic gaming CPU, expecting that engines will scale well to 16 threads since new consoles will also have 16 threads. Not sure if more cores/threads above consoles will help gaming performance.

I wouldn't be so sure about gamming performance.
Games are very dependent on the memory susbsystem. Especially latency.
Alder Lake with DDR5 seems to have exceptional high memory bandwidth, which is also good.
But latency is more important for games. But DDR5 and Alder Lake seem to have much higher latency than DDR4 and Zen3 or Rocket Lake.

Most benchmarks we have seen put little pressure on the memory subsystem.
Oddly, we have seen almost no leaks of gamming benchmarks...

Of course I'm just speculating. We won't know anything for sure, until launch.

Some leaked perf graphs:

Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Ryzen-9-5950X.jpg

Kdad

RAM Dics will back on the menu with DDR5 ! :messenger_grinning: There should be 512 GB ram sticks for low end users , gamers, just in a year or so. [sure theres 4TB for data centers, or your server, if you want] Just thinking of having 2TB of RAM [4 sticks] in your system seem crazy, but it's very close.
I was running a BBS via Ram Disc on my 520ST back in the day...bring it on.

winjer

Gold Member
Seems like Alder Lake will have, on average, a 15% performance advantage over Zen3 in games.
That is well within reach of Zen3+ with 3D v-cache.
If AMD's claims are correct, this means a draw in games for Zen3+ and Alder Lake.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Seems to be a fantastic gaming CPU, expecting that engines will scale well to 16 threads since new consoles will also have 16 threads. Not sure if more cores/threads above consoles will help gaming performance.
Most workloads that can scale to 16 threads can scale to >16 threads.

that said, I’m guessing single-threaded performance will continue to be far, far more important for gaming just as it’s always been. What I’m hoping is that all the less demanding background stuff can be handled by efficiency cores, allowing better performance per watt.

Rbk_3

benchmarks where the methodology is not disclosed are not benchmarks - they are pure marketing.

the article you got those from even says "alleged benchmarks", there's your first clue... just wait like two weeks or whatever it is

Seriously. The only benchmarks I will take seriously are gaming benchmarks with finely tuned bdie. Waiting for Framechasers to get ahold of one to test.

Some leaked perf graphs:

Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Ryzen-9-5950X.jpg

Expected, games that are more single threaded will perform marvelously despite problems with memory, and it's easy to disable to small cores to prevent any problems.

AMD may get back on par with "Ryzen is 3DNow!™" but Intel will fuck them on price.

DeaDPo0L84

I have a 38" ultrawide monitor (3840x1600), currently using a rtx 3090, I'm assuming I should be golden if I grab a 12900k?

I feel like my current i79700k holds me back ever so slightly in some regards.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I take it you mean Gaming benchmarks?
Core-i5-12600K-ST.png

Core-i5-12600K-MT.png

Cuz in price/performance Intel pretty much got this in bag.

Look here, you are making assumptions comparing benches with Intel Next-Gen CPU with AMD's 1 year old product. Ryzen 5000 series isn't what Intel is really trying to fight with.

So, lets take a breather and wait.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
We don't know AMD's pricing for the products that will fight Intel new CPU.

Do you know those prices? I figure you don't.

I think we can make an intelligent guess that the new 5800X isnt going to be cheaper than the old 5800X.
Even when they refreshed the XTs they dropped the prices of the old chips and launch the XTs at "msrp".

AMD doesnt have a sub 300 dollar chip and "if" the benchs are even remotely accurate the 12600KF is gonna be a killer deal.
Intel-12th-Gen-Core-Core-Alder-Lake-S-Final-Pricing.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care about synthetic benchmarks. I don't covert any videos...
What I care about is stability, compatibility and games performance and to this day I regret going with 3700x instead of intel... Problems are never ending. Not some huge problems but always caused by x570 amd platform

mitchman

Gold Member
Intel could very well be back in the game now!

Looking forward to this launch. Might pick up a 12900K.
If all they did was to increase the boost clock period to appear better on single core benchmarks, and then proceeded to leak some selected benchmarks to build up hype, they would be the same old Intel. Don't buy anything until tech Jesus has praised them.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't care about synthetic benchmarks. I don't covert any videos...
What I care about is stability, compatibility and games performance and to this day I regret going with 3700x instead of intel... Problems are never ending. Not some huge problems but always caused by x570 amd platform
True I also like, that from reviews nobody mentioned everywhere that some issues exists. For me, the X in X570 stands for "experimental" and even when I have pretty expensive board in form of X570-E, it's still have annoying bugs and when I got, like a year ago, it was really fucking unstable in default. I had to buy pretty expensive memory kit, so I would be able to work.

Kenpachii

Stinks of handpicked games. Troy: A Total War Saga and Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord? That's Intel alright.

isn't the 11900k performing worse then 10900k? in age of empire 4 the 10900k was beating the 5950x already.

Anyway if you want to see valid benchmarks of how the chip performs, even those tech youtubers are not going to feed you good results. they will be all send golden samples.

Look, we knew years ago that the performance would be good.
Intel had stagnated because they used to tie their architectures to specific processes, that's why with their 10mm problem they had to keep refreshing Skylake. But again we knew, Intel had much better architectures just waiting the day to come to market. Golden Cove is excellent, but still, in their desperation Intel is using all the tricks they can to try to bet AMD and regain mind share.
They turned PL1 into PL2, they want these processors sucking all energy they can get from the motherboards to not be power constrained in any way (different from Ryzen that have a hard ceiling). PL1 was set at 241W as default and it can consume much much more!

23-630.d2720960.jpg

These systems will be expensive.
Expensive motherboards to be able to handle all that power delivery, expensive PSU, robust coolers.

And guess what? Remember how Windows 11 had "a bug" that was fucking with Ryzens? Intel did their testes with that build.
We know that performance will be good but being good it's not enough, Intel is trying to regain the "narrative about being the leaders" at any cost.

EDIT: not a coincidence that Dell unveiled a new line of desktop specially for Alder Lake with bigger cases and liquid cooling: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/dells-xps-desktop-gets-a-new-look-and-liquid-cooling/

Last edited:
Stinks of handpicked games. Troy: A Total War Saga and Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord? That's Intel alright.
Far cry as well.

What tells me ryzen v cache will probably be better is the rise of tomb raider result. Sott is pretty cpu neutral right?

Edit : yes it is, a 10900k can match 5800x in that game. Surprised 12900k doesn't win then, in intels own bench no less.

Imo this is intel's zen 1 moment, and just the start of their pushback. But ryzen with v cache will win.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Seems like Alder Lake will have, on average, a 15% performance advantage over Zen3 in games.
That is well within reach of Zen3+ with 3D v-cache.
If AMD's claims are correct, this means a draw in games for Zen3+ and Alder Lake.

Thing is on average AM4 platform is more mature at this point, and on average AMD cpu's depending on the task pull less wattage and run cooler. Alder lake clocks the shit out of the 8 performance cores and to run them at 4.9ghz or more depending on the chip, its going to take a good cooler.

Papacheeks

Banned
Fucking lol, the performance gains vs Ryzen 5000 have been tested in Windows 11 pre-patch in intels press release.

Oh shit, lol I missed that.

So you know Steve at Gamers Nexus knows this and will test, same with Hardware unboxed.

Anyone notice INTEL BOARDS are showing DDR4 and DDR5 respectively? So you can use either or? Thats a first.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

MOBO pre-orders up on Newegg.

Can't wait to see how DDR4 vs. DDR5 turns out :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
This I agree with you on - it'll be very cool to have a comparison point.

Not looked into detail on DDR5 but from the random news feed items/press releases I've been a bit unimpressed with the overall on paper specs - Large boost to frequency over DDR4 but e.g. DDR5-6600 doesn't sound impressive to me when it has a CAS of 36.
Maybe the figures are non comparable - early days for 5 vs maturity for 4 and all that too. Will have a proper look once I'm actually likely to be building a machine with DDR5.

Top Bottom