• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core i9 11900K, which could launch as early as next month, boosts to 5.3 GHz. This could very well be the new CPU gaming king👑in Quarter 1 2021

Leonidas

Scheduled for Q1 2021, some reports say it can arrive as early as next month :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Great news if true.

250W for 8 cores lul. OK Intel.

This thing might find a way to win at those infamous 720p framerate tests over a Ryzen 5800X but God help you if you aren't going to try and use it with AIO or custom loop water cooling. It will run hotter than the surface of the Sun to maybe beat the 5800X by a few percentage points.

The rest of us will just use Zen 3, or are already looking forward to the end of x86 because ARM is coming and it's ready to kick ass. You should see how ridiculous this MacBook Pro with Apple M1 that I'm typing this post on is, imagine a laptop which never has the fan turn on and a battery life measured in days which has performance that runs circles around Intel's laptop competitors.

Last edited:

dave_d

I guess we'll see since intel runs their own fabs if they can avoid the supply issues that have affected AMD and Nvidia.

Interesting. I guess something had to give on that node process, and it's back to 8 cores. Be interesting to see if the ipc improvents were worth the wait. On games that only use 8 cores, I expect this to beat ryzen significantly although it'll run hotter. Can't see it winning vs. The 12 core ryzens in something like death stranding though.

Lone Wolf

This thing might find a way to win at those infamous 720p framerate tests over a Ryzen 5800X but God help you if you aren't going to try and use it with AIO or custom loop water cooling. It will run hotter than the surface of the Sun to maybe beat the 5800X by a few percentage points.

The rest of us will just use Zen 3, or are already looking forward to the end of x86 because ARM is coming and it's ready to kick ass. You should see how ridiculous this MacBook Pro with Apple M1 that I'm typing this post on is, imagine a laptop which never has the fan turn on and a battery life measured in days which has performance that runs circles around Intel's laptop competitors.
hows gaming with the M1?

hows gaming with the M1?
You can't use an eGPU with M1 Macs (yet), so it's not really a thing. I mean people have actually run like Shadow of the Tomb Raider on these laptops but the Apple GPU on this initial M1 only has 8 CU's and while that makes it faster than Intel Iris Plus graphics and even GeForce MX350 that's still not saying a whole lot. We're all kind of wondering if eGPU will happen or not then shit will be real.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned

Sounds great, except MAC, LOL™®

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Incomplete info. What's the current king it may dethrone (by virtue of being newer and be dethroned when another new extremesuperhyper overpriced edition comes)? Where's your hype thread for that, when it was first announced as a possible king and then when it came out too? To compare!

Last edited:
Sounds great, except MAC, LOL™®
Haha, I'm not throwing my gaming PC and laptop in the garbage or anything. PC gaming will remain a primary reason for staying on x86 for years to come, and I think the transition to ARM will move quickly in many segments of the PC market but gaming will be the last to transition.

In terms of Windows though, there is already a prototype and if it weren't for LOL Qualcomm it would probably garner more interest:

Rikkori

No upgrading until ddr5, even if I have to wait until 2022.
Same, though I feel like 2024 is gonna be the sweet-spot. DDR5 will have been out for a year or two so we'll have better & cheaper bins available, PCI-e 5.0 is a distinct possibility AND we'll be on RDNA4/Hopper by then, and maybe even Intel. Plus, still have my eyes on Optane doing something too.

ZywyPL

Banned
i7 looks way more appealing given the same core count, as both will reach 5GHz on all cores anyway, and their maximum will most likely be exactly the same too, give or take 100MHz. The question is if/how better those CPUs will be compared to 9th and 10th gen series, because looking at the specs it really looks like Intel has hit a wall when it comes to both core count and clock speeds...

Intel's dead for now, sorry OP

giphy.gif

Xyphie

They'll be better than Zen3 for gaming at equivalent thread counts so if they can price 11700K(F) at ~$350-375 and 11600K(F) at ~$250 against the inevitable 5700X/5600 SKUs they'll be in a great place for gaming builds. 11900K is just going to be a boring overpriced "best gaming CPU on the market" SKU which will offer little over the 11700K in real terms.

The Skull

250 Watts just to try and reclaim the performance crown? Jesus. I mean I want Intel to be as competitive as possible but this is pretty much DOA. Is this on a new socket as well?

thelastword

Banned
9900k, 10900k, 11900k all in quick succession. Intel is too far behind Leonidas, most games will be using the better IPC of Ryzen 5000, plus it's higher cores, most games will even use SAM for better performance....AMD to AMD manual optimization for SAM, something devs have not even done yet.....I don't see Intel catching up with it's reactionary "we have a new CPU coming" on 14nm++++++, it's going to be revolutionary, for real this time......

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"CPU gaming king"

Please just stop
This is the "3090 is the king of gaming GPUs!" all over again

regawdless

Banned
Waiting for a worthwhile upgrade over my 8700k. Still doing damn well running at 5ghz without any offset.

I guess I'll be fine for at least another year.

Malakhov

Banned
i7 looks way more appealing given the same core count, as both will reach 5GHz on all cores anyway, and their maximum will most likely be exactly the same too, give or take 100MHz. The question is if/how better those CPUs will be compared to 9th and 10th gen series, because looking at the specs it really looks like Intel has hit a wall when it comes to both core count and clock speeds...

giphy.gif
What does this have to do with the fact that any serious individual shopping a cpu right now and for a while, will simply ignore intel?

again, rip Intel for now

Btw, look at Intel's stock in the last 6 months:

😂

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think going down to 8 cores again makes a lot of sense. the 10900K consumes too much power and shits out a lot of heat. 14nm is saturated heavily and just can't cope with 10 cores which is pretty useless for games and by the time 10 cores is needed for game any 10 core cpu out today (or next year) will be far too slow and you'll probably need at least 16 cores anyway.

my 9900K is destroying everything i throw at it with a 5.1GHz OC. i don't see any reason to upgrade especially to what is gonna be another 14nm process. i'm waiting for Alder Lake in 2022 which should have DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 and finally be on 10nm.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

What does this have to do with the fact that any serious individual shopping a cpu right now and for a while, will simply ignore intel?

again, rip Intel for now
I don't plant to switch to AMD while their individual cores are weaker than Intel's. Running older software on Intel is absolutely hassle free while AMD keeps having compatibility issues. If you only plan to play games released this year and on then you obviously will be fine with AMD.

my 9900K is destroying everything i throw at it with a 5.1GHz OC. i don't see any reason to upgrade especially to what is gonna be another 14nm process. i'm waiting for Alder Lake in 2022 which should have DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 and finally be on 10nm.

Same, 9900 is absolutely fantastic for now. I can't imagine replacing it in the next 5 years unless some massive leap happens.

Last edited:

Allandor

So they offer more of the same (-2 cores) and even more aggressive boosting mechanics?
Feels like P4 era repeating. Just a bit more frequency paired with much higher energy consumption.
That they removed 2 cores (from the top end product) just gives them a bit more headroom in the already outrageous power-consumption of their CPUs. They really need to make progress or they should start to manufacture their processors externally.
Or maybe they should start adding cache like AMD did. That could also help because cache does not consume much power but can effectively reduce memory latency while also adding more cooling-area (because cache does not get as hot as other parts of a CPU).

Jezbollah

15nm+++++++++*&*&^^^^&$^&$$!!!

It'll be them catching up Zen3. And then AMD will release Zen4, and they'll be back behind.

This is the new cycle.

ZywyPL

Banned

again, rip Intel for now

Then where is all that money and marketshare coming from? Sure, there is a huge hate campaign towards Intel (and Nvidia) on the internet for whatever the reasons those people have, but that's just a drop in the ocean in terms of the market as a whole, many many people still but their CPUs simply because Intel has have been absolutely dominant in the past decade if not more, and that has build up a huge people's trust in their products, as oppose to AMD who cough up literally a bit over year ago, they will need way more than that to regain the lost marketshare in all those past years and people's trust.

i think going down to 8 cores again makes a lot of sense. the 10900K consumes too much power and shits out a lot of heat. 10 cores is pretty useless for games and by the time 10 cores is needed for game any 10 core cpu out today (or next year) will be far too slow and you'll probably need at least 16 cores anyway.

I honestly don't think there will be much reasons to go any higher than 8C/16T in PC in the upcoming years due to consoles a.k.a. the baseline for the next 7-8 years using a maximum of 14 threads for the games. In the past <10 years all the weight has been thrown on the GPUs, and with RT becoming more and more common, the trend will only deepen.

Malakhov

Banned
I don't plant to switch to AMD while their individual cores are weaker than Intel's. Running older software on Intel is absolutely hassle free while AMD keeps having compatibility issues. If you only plan to play games released this year and on then you obviously will be fine with AMD.
Refusing to switch brands at this point is just pure fanboyism. I have switched so many times from one brand to another in the last decades. AMD is just better at everything right now and for the next year, everything is looking bleak for intel since rocket lake looks to be disapointing as well.

Also, the reason you've stated is the reason why intel is where they are at right now, all they've done is push the limits of their single core to the point of fusion and call it a day, expecting to stay on top. So keep it up!

Then where is all that money and marketshare coming from? Sure, there is a huge hate campaign towards Intel (and Nvidia) on the internet for whatever the reasons those people have, but that's just a drop in the ocean in terms of the market as a whole, many many people still but their CPUs simply because Intel has have been absolutely dominant in the past decade if not more, and that has build up a huge people's trust in their products, as oppose to AMD who cough up literally a bit over year ago, they will need way more than that to regain the lost marketshare in all those past years and people's trust.

There is no hate campaign towards intel, they're just not worth it for the moment and future is looking bleak for the next year. They will retain good sales from average customers and compagny deals (businesses wont stop ordering bulk pc with intel cpus in it all of the sudden) but for any enthusiast right now, they're not just worth even looking at.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
250W is too damn high! Im trying to play games not keep my whole house warm.
Imagine having to change your psu for a new cpu.

250w for a cpu while a 3080 is rated for 350w of total board power, heh

Nice little heat source for cold winter paired with one, though

Top Bottom