• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core i9-10900K to boost up to 5.3 GHz. Hyper Threading across the board.

Leonidas

Seems safe to say that the new 10900K will be the new fastest gaming CPU, while the 10700K should match the 9900K.

Hyper-Threading across the board is huge too. A generational 20-30% more performance for apps like Cinebench from HT.

Core i5 could be the gaming value king again with the 10600K as it is faster than an 8700K, which was already faster in gaming than any AMD CPU.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't see the point in that 10 core cpu. intel running scared is probably the reason it exists.

the i5 or i7 makes more sense. if i were buying a new CPU it'd be the i7-10700K.

i feel like i made a good choice going with a 9900K. it seems intel really don't have much to offer beyond this. a 10 core/125W cpu is a joke. the 9900K runs hot already so sticking another 2 cores in there is gonna be insane and i doubt you'll get much OC headroom. Intel really need to get off 14nm.

Last edited:

Xyphie

10600K is definitely a 3600(X) killer if it's priced at $219 (current 9600K price). Hopefully 10700K comes in closer to $349 than the $399 the 9700K currently sells at.

Myths

I’m not tempted swap out for a while as I’m fine with the 9900K. That said, the performance jump and HT is impressive.

kingbean

If they don't price themselves out of competition with AMD it seems like the 10 series might be an okay upgrade for people wanting to stick with intel.

I can hit 5.1Ghz all cores on my 9700k but the temps shoot up into the 70s while under load even with a beefy cooler.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I can hit 5.1Ghz all cores on my 9700k but the temps shoot up into the 70s while under load even with a beefy cooler.

So?

The 9700K & 9900K can run safely, all day long, at temps below 90c. Won't do much for your energy bill but thats a separate issue.

Last edited:

kingbean

So?

The 9700K & 9900K can run safely, all day long, at temps below 90c. Won't do much for your energy bill but thats a separate issue.

Oh I guess it would help to explain why I don't like that. It gets stupidly hot in my room.

I also don't see any major fps increases that have me wanting to leave an OC on.
The only games not running as well as I want right now are CoD MW and I think thats because my 1080Ti just has trouble keep the FPS up on bigger maps.

longdi

Banned
At 125w tdp, seems like Intel is running out of boost. Still skylake, still 14nm+++, still going to lose more performance with hardware security mitigation.

This will be bad if AMD zen3 delivers on the 20% uplift hype. 2020 is going to be another bloodshed year. :(

Leonidas

This will be bad if AMD zen3 delivers on the 20% uplift hype.

Intel CPUs are much better positioned in 2020 with 10th Gen than they were after zen2 launch. AMD is no longer competing against HT-less CPUs.

30% from HT in Cine-bench is bigger than the rumored 17% from zen3. And it still remains to be seen if AMD can beat Intel in gaming...

zen3 also isn't launching any time soon.

Last edited:

Leonidas

10600K is definitely a 3600(X) killer if it's priced at $219 (current 9600K price). Hopefully 10700K comes in closer to $349 than the $399 the 9700K currently sells at.

Yeah 10600K sounds awesome. It will be the highest performance gaming CPU at whatever price it ends up at. I'm guessing they'll probably charge $279 as there are 3 more i5 SKUS below it...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Disappointed to see no pci-e 4.0 but I’m not surprised. Still though, in a week my 7700k will be 3 years old and I’ve got the itch to upgrade. I’ll probably jump on the 10900k & mobo as soon as it releases (and just reuse my 32gb ddr4).

Last edited:

truth411

Intel CPUs are much better positioned in 2020 with 10th Gen than they were after zen2 launch. AMD is no longer competing against HT-less CPUs.

30% from HT in Cine-bench is bigger than the rumored 17% from zen3. And it still remains to be seen if AMD can beat Intel in gaming...

Isn't Zen3 launching next year?

JordanN

Banned
Since AMD focuses on cores, why doesn't Intel try and aim for an even higher clockspeed?

Give us a 10Ghz CPU.

llien

While 3000 series Ryzen (7nm DUV) has closed the single core gap to zero (by beating Intel's IPC to a point when max clock difference doesn't matter) imagine how this thing is an answer to the 4000 series (7nm EUV) Ryzen, that is expected to boost performance by another 17%.

Also a kind reminder of where to put money, in a rather common case of not spending unlimited funds on hardware:

It would meltdown faster than chernobyl and fukushima nuclear power plants.
Sorry for nitpicking, but neither of those melt down.

V4skunk

Banned
While 3000 series Ryzen (7nm DUV) has closed the single core gap to zero (by beating Intel's IPC to a point when max clock difference doesn't matter) imagine how this thing is an answer to the 4000 series (7nm EUV) Ryzen, that is expected to boost performance by another 17%.

Also a kind reminder of where to put money, in a rather common case of not spending unlimited funds on hardware:

Yes they did.
Triple meltdown at Fukushima.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So, it's the same fabrication process node and just modestly upping the clock frequency by requiring a lot more energy to achieve this? Is there anything else more significant? Otherwise this is just a gimmick and Intel has nothing.

In any case, props to Leonidas Leonidas for being the board's biggest Intel fanboy and cheerleader, his blind yet energetic cheering for Intel is an inspiration to us all. :D

longdi

Banned

If comet lake comes in Mar-Jun'20, AMD will sell something better in another quarter.
Wait for Zen3 hype train soon.

AMD have so far accomplish their goals, 20% uplift from Zen2 - Zen3, i say wow. No amount of OC will help comet lake.

CuNi

I'm waiting for the next ryzen series and plan on ditching my 4770k for a ryzen. I need more cores and not slightly higher clock speeds. Sorry Intel, I'm going Red. Staying with team green for GPUs though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So, it's the same fabrication process node and just modestly upping the clock frequency by requiring a lot more energy to achieve this? Is there anything else more significant? Otherwise this is just a gimmick and Intel has nothing.

In any case, props to Leonidas Leonidas for being the board's biggest Intel fanboy and cheerleader, his blind yet energetic cheering for Intel is an inspiration to us all. :D
5946a0b8c53cf.jpeg

Harold will always be Leonidas to me

If you apply an unlimited amount of energy and have a cooling system which can reduce the effective temperature to a state where movement is electrons is nullified, such as absolute zero, you can have a clock rate of infinity!

Go get em, Intel!

TriSuit666

Banned

Sorry to derail the thread, but they both in fact did meltdown. Fukushima suffered at least 3 meltdowns during the uncontrolled fusion reaction that destroyed the plant.

Anyway, isn’t this the chip GN comprehensively trashed?

Last edited:
Anyway, isn’t this the chip GN comprehensively trashed?

No. Intel's naming schemes are increasingly retarded as they are on the 18th generation of Skylake at this point or something.

The 10900X is the chip that GN called "DOA" ...... which is apparently NOT the same as the 10900K.

The 10900X is an HEDT chip and therefore requires the more expensive X299 platform plus it has all the weaknesses of Intel's HEDT designs versus the traditional monolithic design of the 9900K. No one is going to buy it, it's just there to fill out an empty space on a table of available parts.

The 10900K is apparently a 9900K with 2 more cores strapped on. It's pushing the limits of what you can actually do with a monolithic design and it's hard not to admire Intel for trying this hard to bolt more cores onto a mainstream socket Skylake design that was thermally never meant to go past 4 cores to begin with.

Apparently the 10900K is going to require a new chipset and new motherboards anyways since it has a new socket, which is absolutely necessary because of the increased power requirements. But it does mean that you have to spend a lot more to get a 10900K than you otherwise would if it were a drop-in upgrade to existing sockets and chipsets. Also I think we're probably at the point where the minimum spend for a cooling system that can handle the power output of a 10900K is probably $100+ for a high-end AIO, or even more for custom loop water because nothing else will be able to keep it cool.

Since you are going to buy a new motherboard anyways, why exactly the fuck wouldn't you just buy into AMD X570 and get something like a 3900X or 3950X, or who knows by then maybe Zen 3 instead?

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Sorry to derail the thread, but they both in fact did meltdown. Fukushima suffered at least 3 meltdowns during the uncontrolled fusion reaction that destroyed the plant.

The reactors at Fukushima #1 were BWRs - light water moderated fission reactors - so no fusion was involved. By the time the tsunami hit all the units had been automatically shutdown as a reaction to the initial earthquake, so there was no fission either. There was a very large amount of decay heat, however. Units 1-3 were all rated at 460MW(e), which corresponds to about 1.4GW(t) - since the decay heat at shutdown is about 6.5% of the (thermal) operating power this corresponds to about 90 megawatts of power that needs to be dealt with. This would not normally be a problem (the reactor heat removal systems are rated to deal with more than 10 times this power level), but nearly all the plants systems had been disabled by the complete loss of electrical power.

As the water level dropped, the fuel rods were exposed and the hot zirconium alloy cladding started to react with the water evolving hydrogen - this eventually reached an explosive mixture with atmospheric oxygen and when it was ignited the subsequent explosion severely damaged the top section of the building.

Last edited:

Nydus

Gold Member
Hm I don't really know where to upgrade to from my 7700k...

I never stream and never edit videos so I only need my rig for gaming at 1440p or 4k60. Those new Intel's just seem too hot for my taste but those Ryzen are not much faster then my 7700k with 4.8ghz on all cores. Maybe I just wait a bit more till DDR5 ^^`

thelastword

Banned
So what's going on here? Intel delivers 2 more cores at a significantly higher TDP with a turbo frequency that could have already been achieved on a 9900k "with a good cooler" and it's some type of event where we should all take notice and bow.....Singing Intel's praises and all that...

Apart from the price of this thing, let intel get back to us on if their normal box cooler will suffice, can I run this chip straight out the box or do I have to buy more than this chip...….These Intel K chips are surely getting hotter.....I bet you no one is going to talk about TDP now, no one cares about their electrical bills in 2019/2020...….Never ceases to amaze....

Apart from the price of this thing, let intel get back to us on if their normal box cooler will suffice
Intel CPUs (at least the ones of interest to gamers) don't ship with boxed coolers anymore, so unless you already have one that's compatible with the new boards, you will have to buy one anyway.

tatayoyo

Neo Member
Nothing new here, same crap by Intel on a dying process node on a dying platform, pricey AF, it will hard to buy cause shortages on 14nm+++++++++ for 2 years now. Are you really excited for that crappy crap? You'll have 20 or 30 fps more in some games? Is that worth it? WTF...

thelastword

Banned
Intel CPUs (at least the ones of interest to gamers) don't ship with boxed coolers anymore, so unless you already have one that's compatible with the new boards, you will have to buy one anyway.
Yeah, I'm aware...….Just wanted to drive the point home on value...…..You get a cooler with Ryzen processors which are pretty good at cooling the CPU's...Funny enough, I have an intel cooler I've never used, but we all know no one is going to put that on a K processor, but the Wraith coolers on AMD are pretty good out of the box.....

Also further on value, will the new chips need a new motherboard for full functionality? Do the new Z490 motherboards support PCIE 4.0? How much would these new motherboards cost...….How much would these new Intel chips cost? They land in April 2020 right, barring any delays......One thing is sure, C.E.S will be very interesting on AMD's front....and what they announce to go against this.....I'd wager that they are not in the least bit worried about these 10000 chips from Intel....

Dontero

Banned
125 TDP is stupid. Might as well wait until they get past 14nm before I consider upgrading my ancient 2550k at this point.

125TDP also isn't total power draw like some people assume. Those 95W intels took at times 250W. AMD is closer to truth but their TDP also is way below actual power draw.

Overall for private consumer it isn't huge deal. TDP and perf/wat is concern for companies.

Since AMD focuses on cores, why doesn't Intel try and aim for an even higher clockspeed?
Give us a 10Ghz CPU.

Because power requirement scale geometrically with every mhz it is fundamental law that can't be changed. Reaching 6Ghz would require something like 700W and 7Ghz would give you something like 3000W if not more assuming you would be able to remove heat at all from cpu.

The only way to get faster MHz is to change material you work with to get better geometrical curve. Graphene chips are predicted to hit max 2Terahz with current knowledge.

Intel CPUs are much better positioned in 2020 with 10th Gen than they were after zen2 launch. AMD is no longer competing against HT-less CPUs. 30% from HT in Cine-bench is bigger than the rumored 17% from zen3. And it still remains to be seen if AMD can beat Intel in gaming...

I mean it will be Intel catching up to AMD on that front not extra 20-30% power that AMD needs to close. Secondly HT in era of multicore doesn't matter than much and usually performance in games improves if you switch off HT. It is only work related aplication that benefit from HT and there multicore design is king which means AMD still will wollop Intel ass.

Secondly Zen3 aka Ryzen4000 will be probably released like every other AMD ryzen on spring starting first with few core chips to be scaled to more chip later on like every other ryzen cpu.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Because power requirement scale geometrically with every mhz it is fundamental law that can't be changed. Reaching 6Ghz would require something like 700W and 7Ghz would give you something like 3000W if not more assuming you would be able to remove heat at all from cpu.

The only way to get faster MHz is to change material you work with to get better geometrical curve. Graphene chips are predicted to hit max 2Terahz with current knowledge.
So how come the world record for highest overclock CPU was done on a AMD FX-8370 (which has a TDP of 125 watts)?

Even though it obviously required a lot of cooling, it was overclocked as high as 8.77 Ghz.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Even though it obviously required a lot of cooling, it was overclocked as high as 8.77 Ghz.

The lower the temperature the lower the curve of power consumption. What i said about power requirements was based on normal room temperatures. Those clocks are achieved with LN2 which gives you ability to go few degrees above absolute 0 so we are talking here about ~ -200C

Last edited:
Top Bottom