• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Confirms Rocket Lake on Desktop for Q1 2021, with PCIe 4.0

Andodalf

Banned

Guess I'll wait a few more months to decide which CPU to upgrade to.

Currently got two rigs, 8700K @ 5.0 GHz on Z370 (which has given me top tier gaming for 3 years) and a 1st Gen 8-Core Ryzen on a 400 series board which may or may not get Zen3 support some time next year.

If you wait till then you can probably wait a bit longer for another AMD Refresh. And then there might be rumors of what intel has next.

FireFly

If you wait till then you can probably wait a bit longer for another AMD Refresh. And then there might be rumors of what intel has next.
If Zen 4 is still "in design" then maybe it won't be ready for 2021, and AMD are planning Zen 3+ for next summer.

Papacheeks

Banned
If Zen 4 is still "in design" then maybe it won't be ready for 2021, and AMD are planning Zen 3+ for next summer.

From what I have heard this is the last AM4 socket release. Reason being this is the second 7nm process revision. 5NM is on track to start production soon. Expect new socket, with DDR5 by next year end.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: RNG

notseqi

If you're already that 'recent' with your processors you can wait a lot longer. Think about the people that are still rocking their i5-2500k's.
I'll wait on DDR5 fo sho.
Processors haven't been the 'make or break' for games in a long time. Shoutouts to my old buddy Phenom x4 965BE.

Leonidas

If you're already that 'recent' with your processors you can wait a lot longer. Think about the people that are still rocking their i5-2500k's.
Processors haven't been the 'make or break' for games in a long time. Shoutouts to my old buddy Phenom x4 965BE.

You're right, after thinking it over, waiting for DDR5 enabled systems seems the best option for me. Hopefully then there will be a nice jump in CPU gaming performance.

imbrock

Banned
Seems like they're feeling the heat from team red.

I've also noticed a big increase in Intel sponsored YouTube videos and other marketing lately.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's no way they can squeeze any more performance out of 14nm, right?

PhoenixTank

There's no way they can squeeze any more performance out of 14nm, right?
Architecture backport from the stuff on 10nm is the long rumoured play for Rocket Lake.
Backporting has to have at least one downside. I don't know whether it is just money or time... or thermals or die size or something else but I'm keen to find out.

Nubulax

Im still rocking an I5-3570k and just realized I bought this thing late 2012 O_O. Was thinking about diving in with the new AMD offerings so have been looking at parts but considering just waiting til the new socket comes out since I wouldnt upgrade for a long time after anyway

notseqi

Im still rocking an I5-3570k and just realized I bought this thing late 2012 O_O. Was thinking about diving in with the new AMD offerings so have been looking at parts but considering just waiting til the new socket comes out since I wouldnt upgrade for a long time after anyway
My phenom was 2009 and it still did 45fps with a 1050ti on DDR2. Although that is shit you can see what the cycles are.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Seems like they're feeling the heat from team red.

I've also noticed a big increase in Intel sponsored YouTube videos and other marketing lately.
They need to make price adjustments. There is a good chance AMD is about to kick their ass in terms of performance. I find it hard to believe they will be able to get much more performance out of 14nm.

notseqi

You could go for a high AM4+ board in a bit and it will probably net you a nice surprise but there is no guarantee.

notseqi

As an AMD fanboy, buy AMD. Now!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
nah I'm done waiting. AMD is it for me for now. I've waited long enough and though Intel may prove to be even better in gaming in Q1 2021, I can't wait that long. My PC has ivy growing up the side of it.

Kuranghi

Indeed, I'm on a 3770K@4.3Ghz and because I'm (optimally) trying to play at 4K60 most of the time the only thing it limits me in is single core emulation and Assassin's Creed games.

Kenpachii

Indeed, I'm on a 3770K@4.3Ghz and because I'm (optimally) trying to play at 4K60 most of the time the only thing it limits me in is single core emulation and Assassin's Creed games.

Reason i upgraded my pc needed to see assassin creed origin in its full glory + 60 fps in botw.

Last edited:

imbrock

Banned
They need to make price adjustments. There is a good chance AMD is about to kick their ass in terms of performance. I find it hard to believe they will be able to get much more performance out of 14nm.
But if they lower their prices who will think intel is premium? j/k

I fully agree they need to bring it down a bit. It'll be nice seeing intel come down a step, lower their prices, maybe stop hitting us with a new socket every single chip. Hell maybe they'll actually invest in upgrading their architecture rather than just increasing power endlessly. Between Intel and Nvidia increasing power usage my fridge is getting jealous of my pc.

notseqi

But if they lower their prices who will think intel is premium? j/k

I fully agree they need to bring it down a bit. It'll be nice seeing intel come down a step, lower their prices, maybe stop hitting us with a new socket every single chip. Hell maybe they'll actually invest in upgrading their architecture rather than just increasing power endlessly. Between Intel and Nvidia increasing power usage my fridge is getting jealous of my pc.
What's your setup right now?

imbrock

Banned
What's your setup right now?
I was running an i7-8700 with my gtx 1080 for a real long time but ended up building (for fun) a ryzen 3600x powered mini pc and putting my 1080 in it earlier this year. So my post was a little disingenuous as I'm not actually running intel currently in anything, though I was for most of the last few years after a bad bulldozer experience. That being said I'm do for an actual upgrade sometime since picking up an index. The 1080 cant quite do it justice.

Last edited:

notseqi

I was running an i7-8700 with my gtx 1080 for a real long time but ended up building (for fun) a ryzen 3600x powered mini pc and putting my 1080 in it earlier this year. So my post was a little disingenuous as I'm not actually running intel currently in anything, though I was for most of the last few years after a bad bulldozer experience. That being said I'm do for an actual upgrade sometime since picking up an index. The 1080 cant quite do it justice.
I didnt go Bulldozer as I cried a tear and stuck to my phenom. It did great with the newly acquired 1050TI but I didnt update for a long time after that.

imbrock

Banned
I didnt go Bulldozer as I cried a tear and stuck to my phenom. It did great with the newly acquired 1050TI but I didnt update for a long time after that.
I was all like yeah mutli threading! So I paired it up with the dual HD 5770s I had at the time and wow did I have the worlds most inefficient space heater. Luckily I upgraded the 5770's to an R9 290 and basically continued overheating my home. I like to think I learned from that experience.

notseqi

I was all like yeah mutli threading! So I paired it up with the dual HD 5770s I had at the time and wow did I have the worlds most inefficient space heater. Luckily I upgraded the 5770's to an R9 290 and basically continued overheating my home. I like to think I learned from that experience.
amazing thing
3,4ghzx4 dut

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Top Bottom