• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel back to the game on mobile?? Tiger Lake (10nm) i71165G7 (4 cores) on par with 4700U perf (8 cores)!! + 30% improv. on iGPU

This is pretty impressive!

So looking at the numbers, the Intel Core i7-1165G7 scores 5304 points in the CPU benchmark that is on par with the 5302 points of the Ryzen 7 4700U. In graphics, the Tiger Lake chip overwhelms its competitor with a lead of almost 35%. When compared to the Ryzen 7 4800U, the Intel chip is still seen leading the graphics tests by up to 20% but due to double the threads of the Ryzen 7 4700U, the Renoir flagship takes a lead of 34% at 25W.

Intel-10nm-Tiger-Lake-Core-i7-1165G7-vs-AMD-7nm-Renoir-Ryzen-7-4700U-CPU_3DMark-Time-Spy-Benchmark_1-735x1030.jpg

I know of a user who'll enjoy this (he doesn't let me quote him :p )

LordOfChaos

I'm optimistic, their engineering and marketing people haven't had this much swagger in a while, which maybe points to this being good. And we know it has many more design wins than Ice Lake.

The only thing is, if they offered a 28W 8C like AMD, I'd be all the fuck over that. In some lesser threaded scenarios yeah, 4C with a 20% IPC boost over Renoir will win, but probably not in a fully saturated multithreaded load, and I can easily fill 16 threads with my work.

I'm optimistic, their engineering and marketing people haven't had this much swagger in a while, which maybe points to this being good. And we know it has many more design wins than Ice Lake.

The only thing is, if they offered a 28W 8C like AMD, I'd be all the fuck over that. In some lesser threaded scenarios yeah, 4C with a 20% IPC boost over Renoir will win, but probably not in a fully saturated multithreaded load, and I can easily fill 16 threads with my work.
This is just their 2nd "U" chip, so I'm sure there'll be much better CPUs out there to choose from. Probably the i7 1185G7 is an 8/16 CPU already.

LordOfChaos

Is Tiger Lake still 0n 10nm or 7nm?
Looking great so far but current Intel CPU’s run pretty hot.

Ice Lake is 10nm, it's their first major part on it. Intel 7nm won't be out for another few years. Generationally, Intel 10nm is closer to TSMC 7nm, but it's been a long line of blunders with it so far. Their 14nm parts pushed too far are the current high wattage, high heat desktop parts.

10nm+ or ++ (they like to forget that first attempt) for TGL seems to have fixed its issues with clocking high.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Have they ever been out of the game? Same thing is happening on desktop for years, AMD is selling 2-3x more cores/threads for the same price, sure, but not actually more performance. We see it since the very first Zen CPUs, where they needed literally up to 3x more threads to catch up, and it worked, and still works, but only if those threads can actually be fully utilized. But mobile devices, where you cannot simply throw as many transistors as you want and call it a day, is where that difference shines the most.

I'm personally looking forward for the rumored MS Surface Laptop 4 with that CPU, should be a pretty nice equipment for my needs.

sendit

Have they ever been out of the game? Same thing is happening on desktop for years, AMD is selling 2-3x more cores/threads for the same price, sure, but not actually more performance. We see it since the very first Zen CPUs, where they needed literally up to 3x more threads to catch up, and it worked, and still works, but only if those threads can actually be fully utilized. But mobile devices, where you cannot simply throw as many transistors as you want and call it a day, is where that difference shines the most.

I'm personally looking forward for the rumored MS Surface Laptop 4 with that CPU, should be a pretty nice equipment for my needs.

AMD in multithreaded applications crush intel desktop counterparts. Most games, by design are still optimized for single threads.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Have they ever been out of the game? Same thing is hap for years, AMD is selling 2-3x more cores/threads for the same price, sure, but not actually more performance. We see it since the very first Zen CPUs, where they needed literally up to 3x more threads to catch up, on desktop and it worked, and still works, but only if those threads can actually be fully utilized. But mobile devices, where you cannot simply throw as many transistors as you want and call it a day, is where that difference shines the most.

Wut, those 2x more cores offer just somewhat under 2x more performance in applications that use all of them. In games, sure, Intel is still at or near the top because they don't use them all and the differences in single core performance matter more. But you're thinking waaay back to Bulldozer when even with 2x the cores AMD was getting trounced, things haven't been like that for years, and Zen 2 and products like Threadripper particularly changed the game.

Zen 2 brought single core performance to very close to Intels 14nm mobile products, and that's why offering more cores in the same categories has been such a game changer. Ice Lake has an IPC lead but 10nm had issues clocking high enough that it counteracted much of it, while Tiger Lake should further the IPC lead and address the clock speed issues. TGL should be good, but what you said is at present out of date.

Give this a crack: 7nm AMD products are currently trouncing Intels right now, since 14nm is less dense Skylake rehashes and 10nm can't clock high enough to compete in the H series, so the 10th gen for desktops and high wattage laptops is still 14nm products pushed well past their prime.

Here's a 650 dollar budget thin and light 8C Renoir laptop that trounces a lot of 45W Intel workstation replacements

Last edited:

samporter

Banned
30 percent higher synthetic benchmark performance for 50 percent higher price. ($700 vs $1400)

4 core CPU vs 8 core CPU. (AMD is 8 cores)

Intel driver compatibility VS AMD driver compatibility. (say good bye to emulation with Intel)

AMD is still the better buy.

ZywyPL

Banned
AMD in multithreaded applications crush intel desktop counterparts. Most games, by design are still optimized for single threads.

Exactly, why bother with multithreadding if it basically doesn't exist on the consumer side? I mean, my mom's laptop with a dual-core CPU that can barely sustain 2GHz performs exactly the same as my fully OCed gaming rig in everything aside gaming. 8 threads will be a fucking overkill, let alone 16. And I honestly don't expect that to change anytime soon unless MS decides to artificially bump the requirements for OS/apps.

LordOfChaos

Exactly, why bother with multithreadding if it basically doesn't exist on the consumer side? I mean, my mom's laptop with a dual-core CPU that can barely sustain 2GHz performs exactly the same as my fully OCed gaming rig in everything aside gaming. 8 threads will be a fucking overkill, let alone 16. And I honestly don't expect that to change anytime soon unless MS decides to artificially bump the requirements for OS/apps.

Thing is, AMD is close enough in single core performance as well, and until now Intel locking process to architecture means it's also behind on platform features like PCI-e 4.0. So the question is, if AMD has twice as many cores with similar per core performance, is a few frames per second extra in games (had you been playing at 720p and not GPU bottlenecked, anyways...) worth giving up more multicore performance in everything that can use it (and expect games to lean more on PC CPUs full performance with the 9th gen taking a substantial step up in CPU power, with 8 Jaguar cores you didn't have to bother with threading much on PCs when 4 PC cores handily outperformed them), and particularly where Intel is seeming intent on repeating Netburst having to chase higher clocks on their 14nm Skylake rehashes just to keep up with AMD, pushing its silicon well past the sweet spot and into a high wattage, hot mess.

116012.png

Then there's also that gaming isn't everything. I can use a lot of threads, and a lot of data scientists have moved to Linux + Threadripper boxes.

tl;dr;
vsm4etzvbl051.jpg

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

This is just their 2nd "U" chip, so I'm sure there'll be much better CPUs out there to choose from. Probably the i7 1185G7 is an 8/16 CPU already.
6C if the last (current?) generation i7-10850 is anything to go on, but even that would be a new development given that their 10nm laptop parts so far have topped out at 4C/8T, Lakefield aside. Very promising sign if it goes that way, though.

Our brave Leonidas is currently eating an arrow ban for taking the fight to the feeble console peasant army (I am kidding),
so let me post his reaction to this thread for you all:

Top Bottom