• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Arch GPUs review thread

LordOfChaos

It's terrible with DX11.

TGrJIm7.png

And the 7fps with rebar off...Do not get this if you don't have a modern platform without resizable bar.

hlm666

DF is far from being the best site for PC hardware reviews.
To be fair DF actually tested more aspects of the card here, they looked at RT and xess vs dlss. I'm impressed with their RT performance and Xess but there are too many other downsides at the moment.

This is atrocious ..
That's with rebar off which is what some of us in the other thread were saying people need to be aware of when people were saying the price was good, a budget system probably isn't going to have an AMD system with a motherboard that supports it and anyone on an intel 12th gen system probably running a gpu above it anyway.

LordOfChaos

Such a weird architecture:

zIuRMqW.png

2hkBEDr.png

IY8KvC5.png

In a nutshell it seems like with the time and resources they had, they said we're going to focus on the future, to use it well systems need newer PCIe, they need resizable BAR, and games need to be built for DX12/Vulkan/low overhead APIs, and anything falling short of any of these requirements is going to suffer, but when all are hit the value is decent.

Dural

In a nutshell it seems like with the time and resources they had, they said we're going to focus on the future, to use it well systems need newer PCIe, they need resizable BAR, and games need to be built for DX12/Vulkan/low overhead APIs, and anything falling short of any of these requirements is going to suffer, but when all are hit the value is decent.
To be fair DF actually tested more aspects of the card here, they looked at RT and xess vs dlss. I'm impressed with their RT performance and Xess but there are too many other downsides at the moment.

That's with rebar off which is what some of us in the other thread were saying people need to be aware of when people were saying the price was good, a budget system probably isn't going to have an AMD system with a motherboard that supports it and anyone on an intel 12th gen system probably running a gpu above it anyway.

In regards to ReBAR, what doesn't make sense is that the people that would be interested in this tier card are likely to be the value gamers that would have an older system where the CPU is fine for them but they want a better GPU. AMD and Nvidia kinda did something similar with their lower tier cards only supporting 8 lanes so PCIE 3.0 performance suffered.

Wow, Gamers Nexus treats the card like a dumpster fire while DF says it's ok.

Gamers Nexus sucks, they seem to get off on being negative. No, the A770 isn't perfect, but it's pretty solid for a first try and performance/dollar wise.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Seems ok-ish until you account for the required reizable bar/smart access, and the issues it has with older games. Wouldn’t recommend over 3060 or 6600XT.

LordOfChaos

In regards to ReBAR, what doesn't make sense is that the people that would be interested in this tier card are likely to be the value gamers that would have an older system where the CPU is fine for them but they want a better GPU. AMD and Nvidia kinda did something similar with their lower tier cards only supporting 8 lanes so PCIE 3.0 performance suffered.

Yuh fair point, I'm a little disappointed because I wanted anyone to knock the 1650 off the hill as the best you can do in hobo rigs, used Optiplexes or HPs from business on the cheap, SFF + fully bus powered, but those are older systems without resizable bar and newer PCIe obviously so these Intel options are a no go for them anyways

DaGwaphics

Wow, Gamers Nexus treats the card like a dumpster fire while DF says it's ok.

The truth is somewhere in between, though DF did cover the cons regarding the old apis and all that. Nexus did a really bad job here by not highlighting the RT and solid performance in modern titles. If you mostly play games new enough to have DX12/Vulcan support you should be good (like @ BigbyTheSheriff BigbyTheSheriff pointed out in the screenshots), DX11 it varies a lot by title. The Intel slides point to several titles where the performance isn't as bad a AC Unity, but still an AMD/Nvidia card would be the better choice if DX11 or older is your thing.

This could very well be one of those cards that ages very well in comparison to its launch day competitors. Assuming, of course, that GPUs are a serious long-term product by Intel and the drivers get updated in the same way that Nvidia does theirs.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm actually really impressed with the dx12 performance.

I hope they can sort their driver issues and get performance where the hardware seems to want to get to.

You've got some work to do intel but not bad.

poodaddy

Gold Member
This is honestly far, far better than I was expecting, and we desperately need competition in this space, so here's hoping they only get better. Just work on your drivers AMD, but I don't think this is a bad showing in terms of hardware at all. Slots right into the midgrade market nicely.

OZ9000

Banned
I had expected the 770 to match the 3060Ti tbh.

It's a good effort for a first GPU.

I'll be impressed if they can provide a 3080 beater at a much better price.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Such a weird architecture:
It's not weird. There's just an enormous difference between games that have proper driver optimizations and games that don't.
Looking at Metro Exodus Enhanced with RT, which is a Nvidia-sponsored game, we can see how Intel actually targeted the A770 hardware to compete with the 3070.

ukFXrPg.jpg

The good news is that it may still be able to. They've been saying they had to delay the cards' launch because of driver development, so surely there's still a lot of work to be done in this department.
The bad news is that their current non-optimized fallback mode is pretty terrible especially in sub-DX12 games, which then brings down their "performance average" pretty bad.

GreatnessRD

The reviewers aren't extensively testing the RT performance which is critically important when comparing to the AMD cards.

^ Probably the worst excuse for a video from gamers Nexus that I've seen thanks to that. Maybe we'll get better, more complete reviews from other YT outlets.
While I think they should test RT, I understand why they aren't. I mean, RT at this level class of card is pretty stupid, imo. 3060, 6600 XT and the Arc cards aren't meant for RT even though they support it. At least in my opinion. I am personally intrigued with the A750 since its pretty close in performance to the A770. I might grab one so I can get Intel's little software bundle. We'll see.

Mahavastu

I'm actually really impressed with the dx12 performance.

I hope they can sort their driver issues and get performance where the hardware seems to want to get to.
Providing a decent graphics driver is not trivial and A LOT of work. It took ATI/AMD over a decade to get their drivers decent and quite bug free.
You have to get everything right, DX12, DX11, DX9, Vulkan... I guess it wont be a problem if you just play newer AAA titles, but if you play something older or more exotic it might show unexpected problems, bugs or performance wise.

I personally would wait a generation to see how well Intel works on the drivers...

draliko

If they don't kill the cards in a year could be a legit contender, let's hope for that, we really really really need serious competition right now

DaGwaphics

While I think they should test RT, I understand why they aren't. I mean, RT at this level class of card is pretty stupid, imo. 3060, 6600 XT and the Arc cards aren't meant for RT even though they support it. At least in my opinion. I am personally intrigued with the A750 since its pretty close in performance to the A770. I might grab one so I can get Intel's little software bundle. We'll see.

I can see where you could view it that way, but I've never agreed with that logic at all. Especially in this case, where ALL new titles going forward are going to use the newer APIs and potentially have RT options. To focus mainly on legacy titles and run many of the DX12 supported games in DX 11 mode does not provide an accurate picture of what the product offers.

If you are a user that is interested in matching the performance of the consoles but prefer PC as a platform, then you are going to be concerned with RT performance (you just won't use the ultra/extreme presets). The 3060 does a good job matching or exceeding the consoles in both resolution and fps in RT modes, and Intel seems to do well in that area as well. I don't think there is a price point where it doesn't matter (unless you are a set everything on low for max fps type player).

GreatnessRD

I can see where you could view it that way, but I've never agreed with that logic at all. Especially in this case, where ALL new titles going forward are going to use the newer APIs and potentially have RT options. To focus mainly on legacy titles and run many of the DX12 supported games in DX 11 mode does not provide an accurate picture of what the product offers.

If you are a user that is interested in matching the performance of the consoles but prefer PC as a platform, then you are going to be concerned with RT performance (you just won't use the ultra/extreme presets). The 3060 does a good job matching or exceeding the consoles in both resolution and fps in RT modes, and Intel seems to do well in that area as well. I don't think there is a price point where it doesn't matter (unless you are a set everything on low for max fps type player).
Fair enough. I'm sure we'll see some RT reviews down the line. Most of the tech tubers are prepping for Raptor Lake and RDNA3. Exciting times.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My kids are on 1st Gen Ryzen(1400(X?), 1500 Pro, 1600), RX 470s, and 16GB RAM. An A750 or A770 might seem like an ok upgrade, but without ReBar or Smart Access the A770 is dropping 25% down to ~2060 performance. You can get a new 2060 for $237, a new 6600XT for $310, or a new 3060 for $369.

A750/770 are ok under very specific conditions, but it’s hard to make an argument for them against the aforementioned cards.

GHG

Gold Member
I really hope they stick through this and keep iterating and more importantly fixing the drivers. The fact that you can't fan control without the beta version of the control package is sad.

Basically points towards them not being quite ready but they've been forced to due to Nvidia and in particular AMD's release schedules. It was crucial that they got themselves in the picture and in the conversation before the next round of cards from the other 2 companies arrived.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am reasonably impressed with what I have seen so far. It won't pry me away from nvidia or AMD, but these performance benchmarks are better than I expected. Intel deserves props for understanding that these needed to be cheap and they are relatively cheap.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I dunno, it depends how they translate the price in Canada, we're still getting fucking gouged, even with the price translation here, fucking 6600 xts going for $500+ everywhere online.

Nobody heard about the AMD MSRP price drop here, they're all too busy taking what they can like it's mid 2021.

It's disgusting.
Wow, honestly hope it gets better for you. Admittedly I spent a lot on this gpu of mine but nowhere near 500.

Dural

Yuh fair point, I'm a little disappointed because I wanted anyone to knock the 1650 off the hill as the best you can do in hobo rigs, used Optiplexes or HPs from business on the cheap, SFF + fully bus powered, but those are older systems without resizable bar and newer PCIe obviously so these Intel options are a no go for them anyways

Yep, I have an Optiplex with an I7-6700 on my workbench that I was going to gut for a virtual pinball build. I'll need a GPU around the A770 range for 4K, I'll probably just end up going with Nvidia as that's the easiest option.

winjer

Gold Member
These guys are usually solid, but they've really got a hate boner for the Intel cards, it's almost as awful as watching that Austin cuck talk about a Sony product.

Did you see how complicated the card is to disassemble? It's a mess and Intel deserves to be criticized for that.
If a user needs to clean the heatsink, change thermal paste, replace a fan, it's a pain in the ass.
Through the years, I have disassembled a few GPUs from AMD and NVidia. Node were this bad.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Did you see how complicated the card is to disassemble? It's a mess and Intel deserves to be criticized for that.
If a user needs to clean the heatsink, change thermal paste, replace a fan, it's a pain in the ass.
Through the years, I have disassembled a few GPUs from AMD and NVidia. Node were this bad.
20xx FEs were horrible.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Saw Jayz2cents review and I am impressed. These cards are really good even without the driver optimizations. Given that its Intel's first go, driver optimizations should bring significantly more performance. The RT performance is especially impressive. Much better than AMD.
I hope they succeed. We really need some competition.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Competition is great, and seems like Intel delivered in terms of performance/price ratio

But I wouldn't pick one even for a dollar, because I bet that driver support will be atrocious

The amount of incompatibility problems with older games would also be a headache
This is all amd over again by the sound of your comment.

DaGwaphics

People in the real world throw these things away when they break LOL

Probably a good 98%+ of all GPUs will never be opened. Same with laptops and phones, but you can get some clicks if you do your ifixit take on these.

winjer

Gold Member
People in the real world throw these things away when they break LOL

Probably a good 98%+ of all GPUs will never be opened. Same with laptops and phones, but you can get some clicks if you do your ifixit take on these.

LOL, throwing away a GPU because of a broken fan, to clean it up, or replace old thermal paste?
You are insane.

DaGwaphics

LOL, throwing away a GPU because of a broken fan, to clean it up, or replace old thermal paste?
You are insane.

When it happens 3 or 4 years down the line. Absolutely, 98%+ will be thrown away, GUARANTEED. If you ever look at the broken/for parts section of a goodwill or similar you can find tons of perfectly functional systems junked because some dust built up in the cooler. That's the real world.

Obviously, for yourself personally, if you like to tinker this kind of thing is really important to you. The mass market will never dissemble these, unless they break very early, in which case there is some underlying problem.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
When it happens 3 or 4 years down the line. Absolutely, 98%+ will be thrown away, GUARANTEED.

No it's not. Just look at used GPU market. Especially now, with such high prices.
At this point you are just making up excuses to defend Intel, god knows why.

DaGwaphics

No it's not. Just look at used GPU market. Especially now, with such high prices.
At this point you are just making up excuses to defend Intel, god knows why.

I'm not defending them. I'm just stating the obvious, I even mentioned how this applies to iPhones and laptops as well. The majority of the market is never taking any of these things apart.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm not defending them. I'm just stating the obvious, I even mentioned how this applies to iPhones and laptops as well. The majority of the market is never taking any of these things apart.

No one is throwing away GPUs, because of something that simple.
You are really insane if you believe that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We need D to continue to shake up the GPU sector since these GPU's leave a lot to be desired from Intel.

Watching Gamers Nexus teardown took the card down another notch as well since it looks poorly made too.

Top Bottom