• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Arc Announced. High Performance Graphics. DX12 Ultimate. Hardware Ray Tracing. AI Super Sampling. Launches Q1 2022.

Leonidas

Intel today revealed the brand for its upcoming consumer high-performance graphics products: Intel® Arc™. The Arc brand will cover hardware, software and services, and will span multiple hardware generations, with the first generation, based on the Xe HPG microarchitecture, code-named Alchemist (formerly known as DG2). Intel also revealed the code names of future generations under the Arc brand: Battlemage, Celestial and Druid.

Xe-LP, HP and HPC microarchitectures, that will deliver scalability and compute efficiency with advanced graphics features. Alchemist, the first generation of Intel Arc products, will feature hardware-based ray tracing and artificial intelligence-driven super sampling, and offer full support for DirectX 12 Ultimate.

Good to see that they have implemented AI Super Sampling.

elliot5

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. More competition is needed. Would be funny if AMD ends up on top for CPU and Intel ends up on top for GPU.

The colour blue.
hockey afford GIF

Kuranghi

Great since not everyone can afford a discrete card but what the actual fuck is this reveal video, I'm flabbergasted at how shit it is.

Lets count the sins:
  • Vertical video
  • Shitty Twitter re-re-re-re-encode
  • 30 fps
  • Veritical de-sync in video for whatever reason (might just be the encode and not how the game looks running)
  • Constant stuttering
Tom Cruise What GIF

This is a moronic way to debut footage of games running on your new HW, even on a phone you can see most of the issues I pointed out. I'm not mad I'm just...

yoo wen GIF

PhoenixTank

Not being snarky but did I miss something? They just changed the name/brand and there was nothing of real substance anywhere there... AI SS is kinda news but not ready to show?

It is on TSMC 7nm
I thought they were going with 5nm? Well, plans can change.

Hoping their own fabs upgrade within the next year or so, and if they manage to buy Global Foundries that could open up for some increased production as well (maybe not for these GPUs, but 3P chips would benefit greatly).

Dat Psychonauts 2 is looking amazing btw :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

PSlayer

What does Intel bring to the table that Nvidia and AMD do not?
onboard graphics is the thing that i am most hyped for. I don't expect their first gen GPUs to match Amd/Nvidia but their igpus were pretty good(specially for laptop gamming).

jaysius

Banned
They say this bullshit every time they launch a new generation of motherboard don't they?

Also Intel, it's interesting to flex graphical fidelity in a potato quality Twitter video.

Last edited:
If they're fabbing this on their own, then yes, amazing news, actual "competition".

But if they're eating into the already constrained TSMC/Samsung wafers who have multiple clients already in their backorders, then they can fuck right off to the moon, and it won't be anything other than a blue of Nvidia/AMD paint, mimicking their same business practices like catering to miners and gaining positive PR via YouTube shills for performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
AMD is in trouble.

Dont we already know the round about performance of the big DGP2 (Alchemist) and it was around an RTX 3070 in rasterization.

The only way AMD could be in real trouble is if Intels AI Super Sampling is actually good and they have beyond AMD levels of Raytracing.
Else I think AMD will remain exactly where it is.
Second place by a large margin in terms of market share.

The presentation for those that dont want to watch the embed versions vv

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What are the specs? Who announces a new GPU like this? Even integrated GPUs nowadays can run those video games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What are the specs? Who announces a new GPU like this? Even integrated GPUs nowadays can run those video games.

The Alchemist is supposedly 512 Execution Units and 16GBs of VRAM guessing GDDR6.

Target performance is around RTX 3070 levels in rasterization.
No idea performance in Raytracing.
Their AI Super Sampling is likely not going to be ready for launch so for now who gives a shit.

I am slightly intrigued by their DeepLink tech with Alderlakes uprated GPU performance it could give marginal but still useful gains in GPU tasks:
85jG4jJ.jpg

P.S Def not jumping on the Intel GPU wagon as CUDA is King but I am happy to have other midrange GPUs on the market.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Alchemist is supposedly 512 Execution Units and 16GBs of VRAM guessing GDDR6.

Target performance is around RTX 3070 levels in rasterization.
No idea performance in Raytracing.
Their AI Super Sampling is likely not going to be ready for launch so for now who gives a shit.

I am slightly intrigued by their DeepLink tech with Alderlakes uprated GPU performance it could give marginal but still useful gains in GPU tasks:
85jG4jJ.jpg

P.S Def not jumping on the Intel GPU wagon as CUDA is King but I am happy to have other midrange GPUs on the market.
3070 is not bad. Especially if it can outperform the 3070 when paired up with Gen 4 CPUs and mobos. I recently just got an i7-11700k and while I am really upset at just how power inefficient it is and how hot it runs, I am intrigued to see if Gen 4 PCIE an actually offer some efficiency gains.

Kenpachii

Intel will be skipping pci-e 4.0, next year is 5.0 and they will make use of it most likely with there arc gpu's.

3070 is indeed not bad, its basically a 2080ti that isn't far behind a 3080 its leagues ahead of consoles. If RT is on equal level and they have a DLSS solution. they are basically already in the race specially if they can drop tons of chips as 7nm will probably freed up at tsmc next year and money hat games for support. They will be when RDNA3 and 40 series comes out probably in the low end segment at that point, but those chips will release later.

Last edited:
Competition.

You actually have to be capable enough to compete in order to deliver competition in any context. For Intel, this remains to be seen so far.

This is a common misconception I see on the internet.

Competition =/= just showing up. You actually have to be competitive with your offering.

Chiggs

Thrilled to see some positive news coming out of Intel. Come on, boys--you took your beating, now get back in there and fight!

It won't saturate they just won't focus on it and move to pci-e 5.0 solutions.
I dunno, I think there's a difference between supporting PCIe 5.0 on paper and making use of it (i.e. actually utilizing the additional bandwidth it provides). These new Intel cards might do the former, but they sure as hell won't be doing the latter.

Top Bottom