• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Alder lake details - 12900K Will have 8 performance cores and 8 small cores

SantaC

And Alder Lake is based on Intels own 10nm fabs. We'll see how this will play out for them. No launch date is yet set. And supposely they are launching with DDR5 and PCIE5

Intel-12th-Gen-Core-Alder-Lake-Specs.jpg

Last edited:

sendit

I can't keep track of Intel CPUs anymore. I feel like they are launching 3 generations per year at this point.
Yeah. I feel like management over there is in a disarray. Maybe this was all in their roadmap. However, it feels like they're literally launching everything they can to keep up with AMD at this point.

ethomaz

Banned
a DDR5 motherboard should be able to also handle DDR4 ram?
Hardly.
They are after all way different and require different slots in the motherboard.

1. Processor needs to support both DDR4 and DDR5.
2. The chipset needs to support both DDR4 and DDR5.
3. Motherboard manufacturers needs to find space and wants to make a product with slots for both DDR4 and DDR5,

I mean the chances are near ZERO!

Last edited:

Rikkori

I can't imagine buying shitty big.little design CPU in the era of 3D-stacking v-cache, particularly for gaming. And first generation as well, which is guaranteed to have scheduler problems galore. It's just so unbelievably dumb. 🤷‍♂️

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This will make for good marketing - announcing the new laptops with intel's latest 16 core 32 thread cpu's! Who's got more cores now, eh?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Seems like a interesting approach like ARM processors with performance cores and energy saving cores... so you get both the power and low power consumption.
I don't really understand the advantage on desktop CPUs like this, though where power consumption is less of a concern.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't really understand the advantage on desktop CPUs like this, though where power consumption is less of a concern.
Actually it is a big concern in the industry.

Seems like these 3 processors have two power level… 125W and 228W.
228W is probably when the P-Cores are in use and it is really ridiculous big… most GPU doesn’t reach that power level.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I can't imagine buying shitty big.little design CPU in the era of 3D-stacking v-cache, particularly for gaming. And first generation as well, which is guaranteed to have scheduler problems galore. It's just so unbelievably dumb. 🤷‍♂️
I'm very sceptical of big.LITTLE in the desktop space, especially on Windows. That said, it is entirely possible Windows 11 caters to this set up - there were apparently some improvements for Lakefield. Technically the first generation of the tech being used here, albeit 1 big 4 little.
If nothing else I appreciate that they're trying something new and will give it a fair shake but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now.

And still 10nm.....
No AMD executive will get sleepless nights over those.
First 10nm parts coming to desktop AFAIK. An important step, even if just a touch late.
The rumoured clock speeds for the big cores are pretty nice and there should be pretty significant IPC uplift going from:
Ice Lake/Rocket Lake/Sunny Cove cores -> Tiger Lake/Willow Cove cores -> Golden Cove cores. And without the node backport downsides that Rocket Lake had.

Could be really great if all the rumours hold true... but makes the big.LITTLE aspect stick out even further as an oddity, IMHO.

Saw that yesterday. Is this still 14nm? I mean how on Earth do you have 8 big cores and 8 'small' ones and still have 200W+ CPUs?

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think that's how this works. Anyway, 228W seems too much for 10nm. Not impressed.
Actual Intel CPUs have 250W in PL2 (11900K and 11700K).
And yes PL2 means the max power draw when turbo comes in play and I guess it is when the P cores are being used.

11900K 8C 250W PL2
12900K 16C 228W PL2

It looks like an improvement… at least on paper.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I just read the confirmation on Tom’s.

The specs are final but the clocks are Enginer Sampler yet.
The clock will probably change in the retail version.

The biggest news is Intel buying GlobalFoundries… $30 billion.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
And Alder Lake is based on Intels own 10nm fabs. We'll see how this will play out for them. No launch date is yet set. And supposely they are launching with DDR5 and PCIE5

Intel-12th-Gen-Core-Alder-Lake-Specs.jpg

lwjpcDo.jpg

Kenpachii

They have been doing this for a while already 9900k is the same.

All cores its 4,6ghz i believe, 1 core or 2 cores is 5ghz.

luckely pretty much all of those cpu's are easily overclockable to 5ghz manually.

Seems like this is more of the same. Also pretty sure AMD does the same.

They have been doing this for a while already 9900k is the same.

All cores its 4,6ghz i believe, 1 core or 2 cores is 5ghz.

luckely pretty much all of those cpu's are easily overclockable to 5ghz manually.

Seems like this is more of the same. Also pretty sure AMD does the same.
I mean doing even 10 seconds of Google research before talking about it would help.

This is an ARM-style big.LITTLE design. The big and little cores are different cores. Sources are saying the little cores in this are based on Intel Atom cores (Gracemont), the big cores are unknown but unlikely to be same as Rocket Lake because that was such a disaster (Golden Cove, whatever that is).

Also if they are literally quoting 228W at max P-state that's fucking hilarious. The ENTIRE COMPUTER Mac Mini M1 pulls 40W from the wall running full tilt, that's the whole computer with M1 chip and motherboard components. The M1 chip itself, same one in MacBook Pro, is probably pulling around ~15-20W. The M1 is an 8 cores (4 big, 4 small) chip. I mean sure, it's 8 cores instead of 16 putative on this Intel thing, but it's also pulling maybe 20W versus 228W. Intel is an absolute joke at this point.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
a DDR5 motherboard should be able to also handle DDR4 ram?
Nope.
Youll have to be sure when building your next computer whether its a DDR4 or DDR5 motherboard.
The DIMM slots will be one or the other.
And still 10nm.....
No AMD executive will get sleepless nights over those.
Except the 12900K is likely going to beat the 5950X in cinebench and if Intel is smart they will price it at or below the 5900X
x86 isn't designed for the ARM-style big.LITTLE, will all 16 cores be able to run concurrently like ARM? Windows assumes every CPU is identical, how is load even going to be allocated between big and little cores? How is this even supposed to work, Intel?
Thats why Intel(leakers) have said Windows 11 is likely going to be needed to get the most out of these processors.
Windows 11 is coded to handle the new big.LITTLE design of these Intel processors.

Top Bottom