• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake Reviews.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have a 8700k and a 3090. I want both the 4090 and one of these new processors, but I can only upgrade one in the next year and a half or so. What do you all think is my best bet? I pretty much only game at 4k so will a new processor really benefit me THAT much, or as much as a 4090?
I’d upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram first. Not only will they be easier to get now but you’ll be in a good position for either the 4090 or even the 4090 Ti when that comes out later. Even at 4K I wouldn’t pair the 4090 with that cpu unless it’s only temporary for like 6 months or less. The new system will even let you use a pcie 4.0 ssd now compared to being limited to pcie 3.0 before. It will also feel like a snappier system even when you aren’t gaming, versus only upgrading the videocard.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I have a 8700k and a 3090. I want both the 4090 and one of these new processors, but I can only upgrade one in the next year and a half or so. What do you all think is my best bet? I pretty much only game at 4k so will a new processor really benefit me THAT much, or as much as a 4090?
I'd say cpu upgrade, also Technically the 13th gen is better than current AMD offerings in gaming, but the benefit of going AM5 is it will receive the next few gens of AMD processors, saving you having to replace the motherboard, zen4 3D is meant to be announced at CES, Zen 5 & Zen 5 3D will be on AM5 too, just worth considering when upgrading your cpu.

Leonidas

Damn, I can't decide between i5-13600K or i7-13700K. $330 for the i5, $420 for the i7. At only $90 more I'm thinking I might as well go for the extra P-Cores and cache of the i7.

DeaDPo0L84

I had 2x13900k on preorder, after reviews switched to the 13700k. Saved money and performance difference is negligible.

Leonidas

Seems Raptor Lake gets good results with overclocking. 5.5-5.6 all P core is nice.

Overclocking is huge for the i5.

FfsGXD-WAAIENvG

How come the 13700F I just bought is never listed in these tests?
All I know is the 'F' just means it's been stripped of any built in graphics.
It seems to come in about 5% slower than the 13700K
The total power draw of my PC with a rtx 4070 and 13700F is less than 500watts

Looks like I got a smack dab in the middle of middling PC here. I'm still happy with it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
At this point I just hope Intel meteor lake / arrow lake / whatever's coming next year finally has better power/heat management. I'm going to upgrade from a 10700k.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How come the 13700F I just bought is never listed in these tests?
All I know is the 'F' just means it's been stripped of any built in graphics.
It seems to come in about 5% slower than the 13700K
The total power draw of my PC with a rtx 4070 and 13700F is less than 500watts

Looks like I got a smack dab in the middle of middling PC here. I'm still happy with it.
You've got an awesome PC... What's middling about it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom