• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 10th generation is here!

marquimvfs

The 10th generation embargo has lifted and Arstechnica has made an preliminary analysis of it.

There aren't any real surprises here. Just as it did with the H-series laptop parts, Intel is banking on high raw clockspeed in its increasingly elderly 14nm lineup to impress potential buyers, while it tries to refine its newer 10nm process.

If you're just a die-hard Intel person, you can expect to see minor generation-on-generation performance gains and enough of an improvement from Intel's newest favorite metric—the "three year old PC"—to justify an upgrade if you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket. It won't be a cheap upgrade, though, since you'll need a new motherboard to go with your new processor—and maybe newer, faster RAM as well.

Professional gamers might—and we wish to stress might—see a small potential win in Intel's extremely high single-core clock speeds, here, with a corresponding slight decrease in latency in demanding games' core loop. It's difficult to recommend Intel's desktop lineup over AMD's this year in any other capacity, and honestly we have trouble keeping a straight face over the potential minor gains in gaming response either.

It's also worth mentioning that the source revealed that some motherboard manufacturers are planning to launch boards supporting a CPU power draw of up to 500W. Wow!
Source:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/05/intels-comet-lake-desktop-cpus-are-here/?amp=1

Last edited:
I wonder how much power the 10900k...such a stupid fucking name...will devour at a potential all core 5.2ghz OC. With a TDP of 125 watts stock, I'm sure a 5.2 will eat up over 240 watts, and with golden samples hitting 5.4 all core safely devouring at least 280ish watts?

Fuckin crazy man. Intel needs to get back on the track. 5+ ghz all core OC's are trivial with the past two generations. This is barely adding anything to it.

marquimvfs

I wonder how much power the 10900k...such a stupid fucking name...will devour at a potential all core 5.2ghz OC. With a TDP of 125 watts stock, I'm sure a 5.2 will eat up over 240 watts, and with golden samples hitting 5.4 all core safely devouring at least 280ish watts?

Fuckin crazy man. Intel needs to get back on the track. 5+ ghz all core OC's are trivial with the past two generations. This is barely adding anything to it.
I'm betting that 280W won't scratch the surface...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Thanks to UE5 leak, bilbili site leak Intel i9 10900K review :eek:

z9JtRQd.png

GTA5
JY5GSk5.png

Asscreed Odysee
vW1892w.png

Aida64 FPU stress
dmw8ThB.png

Overclock