• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel’s 10th generation CPUs will offer a 18% multithreaded performance boost, will require new motherboards

CyberPanda

Banned
It appears that more details about Intel’s 10th generation CPUs have surfaced online. According to Intel’s slides, these new CPUs will require a new socket (in other words, new motherboards) and will offer a respectable performance boost.
The new Intel CPUs will cover a lot of tiers, meaning that we can expect to see new i3, i5, i7 and i9 models. As we’ve already reported, both the i3 and i5 models will support Hyper Threading. This will be crucial for these new CPUs as they will be able to handle newer games.
Intel’s 10th generation of CPUs will feature up to 10 processor cores for enhanced performance, up To 30 PCH-H High-Speed I/O lanes for port flexibility and up To 40 PCIe 3.0 Lanes (16 CPU, up to 24 PCH). They will also have enhanced core and memory overclock, as well as integrated USB 3.2 Gen 2×1 support.
Here are the main key features of these new CPUs.

XlHe61o.png

Furthermore, the 10th Generation Comet Lake CPUs will offer an 18% performance improvement in multi-threaded compute workloads. They will also offer a 8% performance improvement in general Windows workloads.

Pw51j2i.png

As said, these new CPUs will require a new socket, socket LGA 1200. Not only that, but this new socket will not be compatible with older CPUs. In other words, don’t expect to be using a new LGA 1200 motherboard with an Intel i9 9900K. On the other hand, existing coolers will be compatible with the LGA 1200 socket. Comet Lake LGA also promises to improve power delivery and support for future incremental I/O features.

7xoVz3W.png

Before closing, here are all of Intel’s 10th Generation Comet Lake CPU models that will come out.

ePiJh4E.png

KkGrw93.png

longdi

Banned
still 14nm still skylake still 16 lanes pcie3

No wonder amd shares are sky high now. Please buy more amd shares. I think AMD revenue will be uptrending for another year.

Hmm only 18% improvement with 25% more cores...seems like thermally limited.

Last edited:
Top Bottom