• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instruments of Destruction (physics-based wrecking indie by RF Guerrilla technical designer)

CamHostage

No posts for this yet. Hi.

This is project from Luke Schneider, formerly the Lead Technical Designer (also Multiplayer Designer) at Volition for Red Faction Guerrilla. Obviously, this is a smaller project, without a hero and an enemy and all the trappings of a big game; it's just buildings and vehicles and demolition carnage. A little indie game, for people who like driving and love physics engines and hate walls. (Radiangames seems to be essentially a one-man studio; Radiangames is also behind the Apple Arcade top-down crash-racing game Speed Demons.) It's not meant to whet the demand for the series he used to make (come back, Red Faction, come back...) but Instruments of Destruction (aka "The Destruction Project") is a labor of love kind of title with some captivating displays of physical force, and hopefully it comes out to be more than a little bit of fun...

PC Early Access release is planned at the end of this year; full release may be next year or the following. Look for updates on the Twitch channel or Steam for more about this project.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Besieged says "hold my beer" though in all honesty this looks a lot better.
I'm really disappointed we still haven't gotten a Guerilla sequel the destruction in it still has yet to be matched

Soodanim

Gold Member
It started with the lovely Moonlight Sonata and slow-mo reverse destruction, and I was intrigued about what was to come. Then it went into Dubstep and I realised that was the entirety of the gameplay, and I’ve seen all I need to see.

I wish it well, but these “Set it up and watch it go” games aren’t something I get. They only look like something to record the best bits for YouTube on to me. Is there more to this sort of game that I’m missing?

CamHostage

Reminds me of Blast Corps on N64, which was stupid fun. This could be pretty good!

So much so!

It started with the lovely Moonlight Sonata and slow-mo reverse destruction, and I was intrigued about what was to come. Then it went into Dubstep and I realised that was the entirety of the gameplay, and I’ve seen all I need to see.

I wish it well, but these “Set it up and watch it go” games aren’t something I get... Is there more to this sort of game that I’m missing?

There is more to it, I believe. (Though if you don't like arcade-style and small-themed games, this won't be for you.)

This will hopefully not be one of those Goat Simulator-type games that are made for Youtube LOLs more than they are to be played (though apologies to Goat Sim if it's actually also fun as well as LOL-packed?)

The gameplay of Instruments of Destruction ultimately is planned to be a bit more puzzle and a bit more creative-minded. Much like the old game Blast Corps (see above for an explanation of how it worked there), you will have Tasks to complete on stages, and the vehicle you build will factor into the challenge. So like maybe you will be given five arms and four wheels and you'll need to build a thing that could wreck X buildings in Y seconds? Or maybe you'll have to match gears, or you'll have a certain amount of fuel, and so you will want to optimize your creation? Or maybe there will be good buildings and bad buildings, and you'll be trying to bust down the bad buildings while not hurting the good buildings with your giant wrecking machine? Or there will be Multiplayer Destruction Racing or Leaderboards of how much you can crush a stage compared to other people?

I don't know if any of those ideas could be real, but stuff like that makes sense for turning this type of physics engine into structured play, and however close my ideas come to what's really in here, the developer has said that there is purposeful gameplay in there, including content to unlock along a progression system. Essentially the "gameplay" will probably be goal-oriented, with a fun physics system to add a layer of unpredictability to your solutions, in addition to the basic physics playground that we've seen so far.

From the official product description on Steam:

Instruments of Destruction features an advanced physics-based destruction system. You can demolish every structure in the game piece by piece. In addition, every object you see in the game world--save for small decorative plants and rocks--is part of the physics system. Each element of the world interacts with each other and together they create a physical, visceral world to play with.

Build a vehicle your way, with an ever-expanding array of parts and pieces. Using an intuitive vehicle construction system that also lets you customize your vehicles' appearance and controls, you'll always have fun creating your next awesome invention.

From simple splitters to advanced joints, a variety of parts slowly unlock as you play through the game, and each unlocks countless new possibilities.

While some vehicles will perform better than others in accomplishing your objectives, it's always a bit more fun to get creative and go a little off script. Optional bonus challenges and objectives will reward more creative builders and add more replayability.

I'm not sure really what the play really is (and I don't know that Radiangames has it all figured out yet even, thus the Early Access and a year or two more development time,) but take a look at the GIF below and this obtuse vehicle that's a challenge to control, as well as the introduction of power lines that give the machine a heck of a time getting the job done. Seeing that may help give an idea of what the game looks like when it's not just f***ing around with carnage and is actually expecting you to meet a challenge.

steam_crawler2.gif

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

This looks like exactly the kind of game that would be huge on iOS, smashing down buildings with great physics perfect to destress on the homeward commute!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does not look fun to me, it's impressive, but not for me. What is disappointing that the guy is no longer with Volition : (

Teardown is not fully physics though. It's a removal of voxels. You can remove the whole base of the building but it will not fall until there is that 1 last voxel holding it
Reminds me of teardown as well. Not exactly obviously. Lighting in teardown is way better though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Isnt this just besiege with a futuristic setting?
Even the depth of field.

cffd76098a7a20bf89ff86c38205565f.gif

V4skunk

Banned
No posts for this yet. Hi.

This is project from Luke Schneider, formerly the Lead Technical Designer (also Multiplayer Designer) at Volition for Red Faction Guerrilla. Obviously, this is a smaller project, without a hero and an enemy and all the trappings of a big game; it's just buildings and vehicles and demolition carnage. A little indie game, for people who like driving and love physics engines and hate walls. (Radiangames seems to be essentially a one-man studio; Radiangames is also behind the Apple Arcade top-down crash-racing game Speed Demons.) It's not meant to whet the demand for the series he used to make (come back, Red Faction, come back...) but Instruments of Destruction (aka "The Destruction Project") is a labor of love kind of title with some captivating displays of physical force, and hopefully it comes out to be more than a little bit of fun...

PC Early Access release is planned at the end of this year; full release may be next year or the following. Look for updates on the Twitch channel or Steam for more about this project.

This will do very well on Steam.

Top Bottom