• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac is being coronated way to soon

bender

What time is it?
Personally, I think Spiderman and Ratchet, and the previous Imsomniac games, don't have the same level of quality of Last of Us or God of War. They work fine but they haven't done a masterpiece yet.

They are saving the masterpiece for Spider Gwen.

Apeopleman

why do all the playstation homies always forget to put Guerilla games in their top 3? They made one of the best FPS of all time, Killzone 2. game still looks and plays better than most of the garbage out today

horizon and horizon 2 both GOTY contenders

and when Guerilla drops socom for Ps5, it’ll be lights out. best mulitplayer of this generation for sure

insomniac games are never BAD at least. Never great either

For me they put out 7 to 8 out of 10 games. Never bad - never great.

Yeah great output but their games are not genre defining or even excellent IMO.

They work fine but they haven't done a masterpiece yet.

They are saving the masterpiece for Spider Gwen.

Insomniac are kings of graphics. Gameplay? Eh. It's ok.

Come on guys, the original Spyro trilogy is golden and you know it!

Hunnybun

Lately I have been seeing alot of people calling insomniac Sonys "premier studio" in combination with their output and their quality...but I think this is being a bit short sighted considering the quality and proven studios Sony has under their belts.

I would say that the premier studios who could be considered their top dog are:

Naughty Dog
Insomniac
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

You could throw guerrilla in there but I would argue that is a bit short sighted too. Now the talk on Insomniac being the premier studio started with Spiderman and since they made Spiderman Miles Morales and Ratchet and clank rift apart...these three games have an average meta critic of 86.6. Now the studio who I would still consider the best of the SIE first party Naughty Dogs last 3 games have a metacritic of 90 even with lost legacy bringing them down with an 84 average...but it seems that since Naughty dog doesnt have the output of insomniac I would argue due to the fact that naughty dogs polish is still a tier above the rest of the industry it feels people are wrongly putting them over naughty dog even tho their projects are still a step below Naughty Dogs.

While they have been killing it with output and really well recieved games, it does feel like their tremendous climb to the top (no pun intended) has a large part to do with the massive IP they are in charge of as I would argue they haven't produced a game that is even the level of Ghost of Tsushima and still feel that putting them at the top of the SIE pyramid is a bit too soon. I would probably put them third behind:

1. Naughty Dog
2. Santa Monica
3. Insomniac

But with GOT being better than probably any Insomniac game imo they could climb to 3 if their next game is of the same quality.

TLDR: Why people looking past my boy naughty dog

I agree. I've heard this talk quite a lot and it doesn't seem accurate to me.

They're definitely Sony's most *productive* studio - it seems like they basically have 3 AAA teams now, and almost certainly put out a game at least once every 18 months.

And all their output is solid, no doubt. But as far as I can see, they've never once put out a game as good as Uncharted 2, say, or God of War.

Naughty Dog releases games of that quality consistently, as do Santa Monica. They're the 2 best studios, and Naughty Dog is probably the best because they've built two stellar franchises and SSM just the one so far.

I'd put Insomniac as the third most important. Then Guerrilla, then Sucker Punch. After that there's a drop off in quality and/or significance.

kuncol02

Banned
Before the series was rebooted, God of War was a really simplistic action game that fell into the trap that most of Sony's AAA games fall into, style over substance
Before? That didn't changed at all. They only changed style to more "serious" and "cinematic"
R&C was a real disappointment. Basically felt exactly like the PS3 games but with great graphics
I didn't played last one, but all previous ones basically play like first ones on PS2. That's most stagnant series in whole industry (even EA sports games changed more since PS2 years), not that it's bad series, but if you played few of them then you played all of them.

GymWolf

You can surely throw guerrilla in the mix since horizon was the most successful new sony ip from past gen and many consider killzone 2 one of the best fps ever created.

Not even sure if sucker punch has the same amount of "winning" in their history to easily pass guerrilla on a list...

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Lately I have been seeing alot of people calling insomniac Sonys "premier studio" in combination with their output and their quality...but I think this is being a bit short sighted considering the quality and proven studios Sony has under their belts.

Naughty Dog
Insomniac
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

You could throw guerrilla in there but I would argue that is a bit short sighted too. Now the talk on Insomniac being the premier studio started with Spiderman and since they made Spiderman Miles Morales and Ratchet and clank rift apart...these three games have an average meta critic of 86.6. Now the studio who I would still consider the best of the SIE first party Naughty Dogs last 3 games have a metacritic of 90 even with lost legacy bringing them down with an 84 average...but it seems that since Naughty dog doesnt have the output of insomniac I would argue due to the fact that naughty dogs polish is still a tier above the rest of the industry it feels people are wrongly putting them over naughty dog even tho their projects are still a step below Naughty Dogs.

While they have been killing it with output and really well recieved games, it does feel like their tremendous climb to the top (no pun intended) has a large part to do with the massive IP they are in charge of as I would argue they haven't produced a game that is even the level of Ghost of Tsushima and still feel that putting them at the top of the SIE pyramid is a bit too soon. I would probably put them third behind:

1. Naughty Dog
2. Santa Monica
3. Insomniac

But with GOT being better than probably any Insomniac game imo they could climb to 3 if their next game is of the same quality.

Arguing that Insomniac is not a premier SIE studio while putting Sucker Punch there is really brave thing to do.

InFamous: Second Son had Metacritic score of 80/100 which is lower then anything that Insomniac put out in last few years. And even Ghost of Tsushima have lower score then Rift Apart.

Sooo. Weird flex, but OK.

I would argue that Guerrilla is "more premier" studio then Sucker Punch. Because outside of ShadowFall they produced excellent Killzone games and then they successfully transitioned to another genre and found success there too.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It always makes me laugh when you shift back 1 game by the studios listed.

Infamous Second Son
God of War Ascension
Guerilla: Killzone Shadow Fall

Now imagine we’re back in time 5 years and those are those studios’ latest releases, are you still including them in the ‘premiere studio’ discussion? I’m not.

Based on historic, consistent contribution for me it goes;

Insomniac
ND
Santa Monica
Polyphony
Sucker Punch
Guerilla

John Wick

Naughty Dog
Insomniac
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

1. Naughty Dog
2. Santa Monica
3. Insomniac

It's simple, by the time ND release one game Insomniac can release two. If Insomniac took the same time as ND I'm sure their games would be better and more polished.
ND are way too slow, lose talent all the time because of crunch practises. Maybe they should hire more quality staff and try to keep them by improving working conditions.

junguler

Banned
i swear to god i hear a new english word everyday and each of them is more retarder than the last one, what the fuck is wrong with you people?

Orpheum

With Ghost of Tsushima the crown went towards sucker Punch in my opinion. Just started playing the Legends mode again and it's still fucking amazing

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Having to have a hierarchy of one over another is a big issue most of society has today IMO.

instead why can Sony not just have great studios? Why must their be only one top dev?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Jesus Christ man get off Metacritic and form your own opinion based on your own experiences about the qualities of the games you play.

I hate to break it to you but Metacritic is not a metric to measure how good or not a studio is.
Exactly

we don’t all have to come to an agreement on who’s #1 and who is “the winner”. We can have different tastes and opinions on what we personally consider to be good or the best, even if other people disagree with that. If I were a shareholder or making some kind of commission off the success of these games, then I could understand some spirit of competition, but we’re just consumers lol. Sales numbers and aggregate scores shouldn’t matter to a consumer, only if they actually enjoy the product or not, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

It’s pointless to type this out, of course, because gamers are basically large children who are never going to change so…

LoathsomeAccomplishedGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

Vaelka

How do you even fail with the Spiderman license?

Selling a lot of copies when you've got the Spiderman license is like the least impressive thing imaginable to me.

sephiroth7x

There are a few studios I like who work with Sony.

Naughty Dog
Santa Monica
Insomniac

These are the three lauded ones yet I really like:

Bend
Sucker Punch

Bend did such a good job with Days Gone and never quite got the validation they deserved for me. Sucker Punch have just made good solid games for years now but seems as if Ghost of Tsushima has got them that praise.

Om im gonna say it. Spiderman is one of the most overhyped game ever. It's solid 8/10, great graphics and movement around the city but missions and ubisoft style open world with tons of dull activities and map markers was so bad for the experience for me..

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What the hell is this.

I can't believe some of you. And crunch bring brought up because we're all so damn woke and triggered. Get the hell out of here with that shit.

Star-Lord

I’m confused. You say they shouldn’t be coronated in the title, yet say they should be coronated in your opening post. Do you like them or not? And either way, why shouldn’t they be coronated? They deliver quality titles, time after time.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance. Insomniac were there throughout my PlayStation 1-3 days putting out solid games. I missed the coronation, but they've put the work in over the years and I can think of worse monarchs.

VAVA Mk2

Naughty Dog
Insomniac
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

1. Naughty Dog
2. Santa Monica
3. Insomniac

LOU2

skit_data

Their output is insane. They may not reach the highest of highs but the speed at which they develop games that are all within the same ballpark quality-wise as some of the other studios make them very important to PlayStation.

If Sony somehow manages to apply their way of managing their projects and teams to their other studios and keep their level of quality Insomniac Games would cease to be their most important studio (other than the crazy Marvel IP they handle) in my eyes. Imagine SSM or ND putting out games with the same speed as Insomniac while retaining their quality.

sublimit

Banned
Exactly

we don’t all have to come to an agreement on who’s #1 and who is “the winner”. We can have different tastes and opinions on what we personally consider to be good or the best, even if other people disagree with that. If I were a shareholder or making some kind of commission off the success of these games, then I could understand some spirit of competition, but we’re just consumers lol. Sales numbers and aggregate scores shouldn’t matter to a consumer, only if they actually enjoy the product or not, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

It’s pointless to type this out, of course, because gamers are basically large children who are never going to change so…

LoathsomeAccomplishedGiraffe-size_restricted.gif
I'm pretty sure even shareholders don't give a rat's ass about metacritic. What they care about are numbers and on that front Insomniac has delivered more than any other Sony studio.

(Not that sales indicate the quality of a game or a studio either.)

Concern

People getting hyped at all the games they're putting out and all I can think of is the crunch they're going through.

I knew Jason was among us.

OT: There's nothing wrong with them being labeled the premier studio. Look at the quality of their work and at the pace they're moving. They're literally carrying Sony right now while everyone is in another long dev cycle.

Spider-Man, MM expansion, Ratchet, Spider-Man 2, and Wolverine from 2018 to maybe 2023 - 2024? Thats impressive af.

sircaw

Banned
Personally, i think Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios are all below par.and make garbage games.

Young Horses, Ko-Op and Dynamic voltage games are where it's at. "lollipop_disappointed:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think it comes due to combination of multiple factors:

- ND fell out of grace after Druckmann stepped in, their recent games direction is not as universally acclaimed as during UC2-TLoU period, no one calls them Naughty Gods anymore, the technical level of their games is still top notch yes, but other studios have caught up and even surpassed them in some aspects, IG specifically in upscaling, RT and texture details, plus recently with R&C tech;
- SSM begin stuck with GoW franchise forever means people know exactly what to expect years before they even announce anything, it's hard to get excited for the next CoD or Fifa you know, same is starting to happen here, plus the recent reveal being underwhelming doesn;t help, many call Ragnarok an expansion;
- GG being technically there with everyone else obviously but they haven't make any appealing game other than HFW, where again, many say it's just a poor's man Ubisoft game;
- SP still has some catching up to do, inFamous:SS was a big step in terms of technical level for them, while GoT in terms of studio recognition, but technically they're still a notch below the other 4 studios;

So all in all I think a lot has to do with the fact that once all of the main studios reached more or less the same, high technical level, people aren't blinded by the graphics alone anymore and it all comes down to the gameplay, and IG has always made games that are simple, fun and enjoyable to play. Plus as mentioned before, they're indeed leading the pack in terms of some graphical/technical features.

Edit:
Also - as oppose to other studios IG doesnt need 5-6 years to make a single game.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
I have not played a ND game since LL was released. Nothing they do now gets my attention.
Yet I have literally played every insomniac game released since LL, every single one.
I’m willing to bet that by the time ND releases a game insomniac will have over 5 games released on PS5.
ND have become polyphony, make a good game but it takes them damn near a whole gen to do so.
Good luck to them, no way they topping ND this gen.

Last edited:
There were more gameplay mechanics and innovations in the first ratchet and clank than there was in either TLoU game.

There is more to games than gorgeous graphics and animations that play out like a movie.

Fun, creativity, variety and high levels of quality are what I would associate with insomniac. Naughty dog havnt innovated since uncharted and instead spent the last 4 games iterating on the same formula. The level of quality they produce is insanely high but if all they do is iterate on 3rd person cinematic action adventure over and over, then how they any different from a CoD developer? Same game, new tech, new lick of paint.

Unknown?

Hard disagree. Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3 hold the crown.

Naughty Dog has come a long way since the original Uncharted which had a substandard Gears of War cover based system (How Nathan held the riffles in the game never seemed to match were the cursor was pointing). Uncharted 4 is pretty neat with the grappling hook mechanic (grappling hooks make everything better). TLOU was solid but felt a bit dated at the time. I did really enjoy how brutal all the weapons felt. TLOU2 ratcheted that brutality up a notch or two. Going prone was neat I guess? I think Naughty Dog is the biggest example of what I mean by "polished, but not very original". Maybe that's a bit reductive on my part, but I wish Sony's studios would take more risks and bring more originality to the table. I do give a lot of credit to SSM for the God of War reboot.
Sure, if you're only focusing on combat depth and nothing else. GOW was way better in other areas like level design, bosses, story telling. The sum of all its parts was higher than the sum of those two games.

AmuroChan

It's not just that Insomniac is handling Marvel IPs. There're other Marvel games on the market and those developers do not get the same recognition Insomniac does. If anything, the pressure is higher when you're working with a massive IP because the audience has predisposed expectations. You screw up an IP that people really care about and you're going to get dunked on for it (see Avengers).

Last edited:
It's not just that Insomniac is handling Marvel IPs. There're other Marvel games on the market and those developers do not get the same recognition Insomniac does. If anything, the pressure is higher when you're working with a massive IP because the audience has predisposed expectations. You screw up an IP that people really care about and you're going to get dunked out for it (see Avengers).
Spider-Man is by far the biggest name and even the 49 metacritic The Amazing Spider-Man 2 from 2014 topped some of the sales charts and sold well if i remember correctly.

Here you got a big and decent studio + big Sony money + monster budget marketing + let's just say a very very very strong inspiration by the successful Batman Arkham Series. Risc of failing was not too high.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, out of the top 5 the best studio is the one that last released a game. They are all uber talented and keep leep frogging each other and it started about half way through the PS3 gen. Its an incredibly impressive track record and the primary reason i buy a PS console on day one.

Also it speaks volumes that Bend, Housemaurq, Bluepoint (just anounce it already), Media Molicule etc are the B teams.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Insomniac are doing great things, but I think Santa Monica can have a run at being no.1 if Cory's team is as good as the first one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
How do you even fail with the Spiderman license?

Selling a lot of copies when you've got the Spiderman license is like the least impressive thing imaginable to me.

Top Bottom