• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac confirms Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 swings to PS5 in fall 2023.

Pelta88

“What a year it’s been for PlayStation Studios; here at Insomniac Games we’ve been in absolute awe of the work of our peers. Congrats to everyone on a successful 2022… and here’s to next year being just as exciting as we continue to get Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 ready for release next fall.” – Bryan Intihar, Creative Director

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f674d7177444f3238326856494d673d3d2d313036393034373337332e313637653235343632643439346462653236323932363230373635342e676966

Last edited:

tmlDan

I think this is in response to the leak to confirm it, but i would much rather they show the game since its only a year away.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Prepare????

An announcement to prepare without a date?

Sony following Phil and Aaron’s lead?

Good to have it confirmed but everyone wants to see the damn game in action
They're sharing messages from several of their studios and partners. This one is just being highlighted from the overall article. They usually do these at the end of the year for the blog.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Weird that there arent more first party games in that blog post. Is there a chance that the horizon vr game, the dlc, and spidey will be the only new 1st party stuff next year? Outside of ports to pc of course.

Either way, hyped as fuck, the first game rules. I just hope they removed the stealth sequences and made the open world less ubisofty

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, believe. Not an unrealistic timeframe at all for devs on their level.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Weird that there arent more first party games in that blog post. Is there a chance that the horizon vr game, the dlc, and spidey will be the only new 1st party stuff next year? Outside of ports to pc of course.

Either way, hyped as fuck, the first game rules. I just hope they removed the stealth sequences and made the open world less ubisofty
well yeah. Did anyone really believe that after shipping games in 2022, SSM, GG, PD and ND would turn around and ship brand new games in 2023?

2024 is probably not looking too hot either. If they had any games other than Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 that are 2 years away, they wouldve been announced by now.

It's possible they release a remake like TLOU Part one to fill in the gap. We know Horizon MP and Remaster are in dev so that could be their fill in game next year. MGS remake could be on the cards for a quick reveal and release like TLOU but a full game reveal and release? Doubtful after Sony revealed Spiderman 2, Wolverine, Horizon, GOW, GT7 and DS2 a good 2+ year before their eventual release.

Quite frankly, Im surprised we havent seen any of their fancy GaaS games. Maybe they are all in development hell. Making CoD and Fortnite killer isnt easy and they were expecting 10 of those 12 games to fail anyway. Shouldve just invested in single player games they are good at instead. If Spiderman 2 does indeed come out in fall 2023, they wouldve gone 2.5 years since Ratchet in June 2021 without a true next gen game. Absolutely insane. How herman still has a job as Sony first party head is beyond me. Shit tier first party studio management.

Last edited:
Prepare????

At least with Sony they have a verified track record of delivering on the promises. Maybe if the announcement were earlier in the month, we could've gotten a taste of gameplay, but alas.
We might be getting some event in the first couple months of 2023, I'm thinking another State of Play.

NickFire

Show dont tell. Show the damn game if you are about to release it in 10 months.

No one is buying their empty promises after they delayed GOW, Horizon, and GT7 by a year.
Absolutely. But it is still nice to see them comment on being on track less than a year out. Any official assurance is better than none after 3 years of constant delays.

Prepare????

"following Phil and Aaron’s lead" would be announcing a game with a CGI trailer without a year for releasing it..which usually happens 5 years afterwards.

A blog post saying a game releases next year's fall is hardly what they do lol.

NickFire

Blame Jim Ryan on that! Sony used to have a PS Showcase within the same week of The Game Awards. But Jim Ryan hates promoting Playstation so......
I think the blame is shared by Jim, Phil, a whole bunch of corporate lawyers, FTC, EU, and the UK regulators. But mostly Jim, Phil and the lawyers who all want to give the other side the lowest possible amount of arrows for their legal quivers.

well yeah. Did anyone really believe that after shipping games in 2022, SSM, GG, PD and ND would turn around and ship brand new games in 2023?

2024 is probably not looking too hot either. If they had any games other than Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 that are 2 years away, they wouldve been announced by now.

It's possible they release a remake like TLOU Part one to fill in the gap. We know Horizon MP and Remaster are in dev so that could be their fill in game next year. MGS remake could be on the cards for a quick reveal and release like TLOU but a full game reveal and release? Doubtful after Sony revealed Spiderman 2, Wolverine, Horizon, GOW, GT7 and DS2 a good 2+ year before their eventual release.

Quite frankly, Im surprised we havent seen any of their fancy GaaS games. Maybe they are all in development hell. Making CoD and Fortnite killer isnt easy and they were expecting 10 of those 12 games to fail anyway. Shouldve just invested in single player games they are good at instead. If Spiderman 2 does indeed come out in fall 2023, they wouldve gone 2.5 years since Ratchet in June 2021 without a true next gen game. Absolutely insane. How herman still has a job as Sony first party head is beyond me. Shit tier first party studio management.

Still salty over cross gen huh? That’s not really a big deal and probably not up to Hermen alone. I don’t think he’s mandating anything

2023 - Factions, Spider-Man 2, PSVR, FF16. Probably a surprise or two (Team Asobi AstroBot VR2 in fall?), Bluepoint?

2024 - DS2, Wolverine

2025+ - Sucker Punch, Housemarque, ND, GaaS titles

Sony has consistently delivered games every year and that’s not really changing, their cadence seems pretty regular and consistent

SlimySnake

Absolutely. But it is still nice to see them comment on being on track less than a year out. Any official assurance is better than none after 3 years of constant delays.
Look at the starfield delay. Official assurances are official lies. The proof is in the pudding. If the game is less than a year away where is the footage? We saw the same thing with starfield. Announcement teaser with a release date then nothing for a year and then bam! delayed. GOW the same thing. Announced as a 2021 title, not shown for a full year and then delayed. Horizon too. Initial trailer in June 2020. 2021 release date. Then nothing until May 2021 when they finally reveal the gameplay trailer and delayed the game from 2021 to 2022. GT7 did the same thing. Hilarious how they follow the same model. The official Insomniac twitter once said that Spiderman will never come to PC. lol.

Maybe Spiderman 2 will be different, but after all the teasing and rumors this month, shouldve shown something. Either at the VGA or this week. They have gone almost a year and a half without showing anything about the game. 15 months isnt enough to cut together a new 2 minute trailer? This is supposed to be a PS5 in 2023 highlights post and their biggest game wasnt even shown all year.

I do find it hilarious that Sonys own official blogpost promoting 2023 is showing a whole bunch of last gen games.

RE4, Hogwarts, Destiny 2 DLC all cross gen.
Forspoken, FF16 moneyhats that look last gen as fuck. Forspoken especially looks worse than most last gen games. It's basically their redfall.

These are their highlights? We criticize MS for not reading the room, well, how is this any different? This blogpost shouldve been accompanied by a Spiderman trailer because that list looks underwhelming as fuck for PS5's THIRD year.

tmlDan

this must be satire lol

Here is the list until June of games that im playing:

• Fire Emblem engage
  • Dead Space remake
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Wild Hearts
  • Like A Dragon: Ishin
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Destiny Lightfall
  • Wo long
  • Jedi Survivor
  • RE4 Remake
  • Dead island 2
  • Suicide Squad
  • Diablo 4
  • FF16
  • SF6

If all they release is factions and spiderman in 2023 thats fine, cause the release calendar is insane. Maybe focus on playing some games.

SlimySnake

Still salty over cross gen huh? That’s not really a big deal and probably not up to Hermen alone. I don’t think he’s mandating anything

2023 - Factions, Spider-Man 2, PSVR, FF16. Probably a surprise or two (Team Asobi AstroBot VR2 in fall?), Bluepoint?

2024 - DS2, Wolverine

2025+ - Sucker Punch, Housemarque, ND, GaaS titles

Sony has consistently delivered games every year and that’s not really changing, their cadence seems pretty regular and consistent
I think everyone should be salty as time passes. We are officially in the third year of this gen, discussing their underwhelming line up for the third year of their new console and you expect me to be less salty? why?

SlimySnake

this must be satire lol

Here is the list until June of games that im playing:

• Fire Emblem engage
  • Dead Space remake
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Wild Hearts
  • Like A Dragon: Ishin
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Destiny Lightfall
  • Wo long
  • Jedi Survivor
  • RE4 Remake
  • Dead island 2
  • Suicide Squad
  • Diablo 4
  • FF16
  • SF6

If all they release is factions and spiderman in 2023 thats fine, cause the release calendar is insane. Maybe focus on playing some games.
What does this list of third party games have to do with my post about Sony first party?

Im happy you are a fan of third party output. Im a sony fan with specific tastes third party cant offer me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Insomniac really does run like clockwork. Their stuff always ships on time and is polished as fuck.

NickFire

Look at the starfield delay. Official assurances are official lies. The proof is in the pudding. If the game is less than a year away where is the footage? We saw the same thing with starfield. Announcement teaser with a release date then nothing for a year and then bam! delayed. GOW the same thing. Announced as a 2021 title, not shown for a full year and then delayed. Horizon too. Initial trailer in June 2020. 2021 release date. Then nothing until May 2021 when they finally reveal the gameplay trailer and delayed the game from 2021 to 2022. GT7 did the same thing. Hilarious how they follow the same model. The official Insomniac twitter once said that Spiderman will never come to PC. lol.

Maybe Spiderman 2 will be different, but after all the teasing and rumors this month, shouldve shown something. Either at the VGA or this week. They have gone almost a year and a half without showing anything about the game. 15 months isnt enough to cut together a new 2 minute trailer? This is supposed to be a PS5 in 2023 highlights post and their biggest game wasnt even shown all year.

I do find it hilarious that Sonys own official blogpost promoting 2023 is showing a whole bunch of last gen games.

RE4, Hogwarts, Destiny 2 DLC all cross gen.
Forspoken, FF16 moneyhats that look last gen as fuck. Forspoken especially looks worse than most last gen games. It's basically their redfall.

These are their highlights? We criticize MS for not reading the room, well, how is this any different? This blogpost shouldve been accompanied by a Spiderman trailer because that list looks underwhelming as fuck for PS5's THIRD year.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do think there's an elephant in the room right now. As funny as the jokes were, I highly doubt MS didn't show anything off at the awards because they had nothing to show. And I strongly suspect both companies are going to be toeing the line when showing games off right now. So while the history of delayed games is worth taking into account, we shouldn't assume the worst when both companies have reason to be quiet right now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think the blame is shared by Jim, Phil, a whole bunch of corporate lawyers, FTC, EU, and the UK regulators. But mostly Jim, Phil and the lawyers who all want to give the other side the lowest possible amount of arrows for their legal quivers.

But even before all FTC stuff with the MS-Activision deal, Jim Ryan was killing all types of shows that Playstation used to have. He just hates promoting Playstation. Remember how PSVR2 and the new PS5 controller were shown to the world for the first time?

Top Bottom