• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insidious Television

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I don't watch television. I am a man in the 21-35 year age group, and in my age group 20% of us do not watch commercial television. This is not to say that I do not watch television transmitted media at all - if I perceive a television program to be especially enjoyable I will download it and watch it commercial free. I will occasionally watch the television news to critique it.

But otherwise, I do not watch it. And I believe that by not watching it I have made myself more intelligent.

Allow me to present hypothesis. I believe that television is a medium which directly encourages intellectual passivity by exploiting natural neuro-plasticity to condition individual human beings into uncritically believing narratives which they are told. I suspect that this occurs because television is the most 'spoon-fed' method of information gathering - the television viewer passively receives information/narrative in a way which requires minimal end-user interaction or input. Neuro-plasticity refers to the capacity of the human brain to physical alter itself as an adaptive mechanism in response to its environment.

Think of the typical day for your TV junkie: work 8 hours (often at a job requiring little critical thinking), go home and spend 3-6 hours watching TV (where the narrative is spoon-fed to the viewer), subtract transport time and feeding, and then sleep. Such a combination repeated for decades on end will result in the brain adapting to this routine, diminishing the neural pathways in the brain which are responsible for critical and pro-active thinking (as the brain shuts down activity in areas of itself which it hardly uses).

As a result, over the long term TV viewers become more credulous and especially trusting of what is shown on their ever familiar television set.

What do you think?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
i think it’s the advertising that takes a toll on critical thinking abilities. They load a lot more into commercials than just the info needed whether to purchase their products or not. Watch the same 30 second clip 100 times when you’re trying to relax and it’s going to sink its message in.

a medium which directly encourages intellectual passivity by exploiting natural neuro-plasticity to condition individual human beings into uncritically believing narratives which they are told

Thing is, stories have existed long before any modern entertainment medium, especially television. With a few exceptions, the most successful franchises in history aren't all that complex, narratively speaking. They're all playing out age-old motions that are specifically and rigidly designed so that most people can identify with them.

Whereas watching television or movies you're a passive witness, videogames do sometimes manage to instill the illusion of being an active participant, even though their skeletons, structurally speaking, are pretty much the same.

Jung has explored the heart of this topic extensively and Freud touched on it, too, once in a while.

television is the most 'spoon-fed' method of information gathering - the television viewer passively receives information/narrative in a way which requires minimal end-user interaction or input.

Thought it may seem like the biggest enemy at first glance, I'm not really convinced television is all that different from virtually everything else that people consume. With a significant part of the world no longer worried about safety, food and other problems the other half of the world is dealing with, it's been given the unique position to kinda-sorta start on optimizing life as much as possible.

I'd say the general structure of today's society can arguably be characterised as demand -> supply -> convienence -> comfort.

As I'm typing this out, 'WALL-E' just popped up into my head, ironically but not at all mysteriously.
I wonder how many people identified with the robot and how many identified with the people on the ship.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I don't watch television. I am a man in the 21-35 year age group, and in my age group 20% of us do not watch commercial television. This is not to say that I do not watch television transmitted media at all - if I perceive a television program to be especially enjoyable I will download it and watch it commercial free. I will occasionally watch the television news to critique it.

But otherwise, I do not watch it. And I believe that by not watching it I have made myself more intelligent.

Allow me to present hypothesis. I believe that television is a medium which directly encourages intellectual passivity by exploiting natural neuro-plasticity to condition individual human beings into uncritically believing narratives which they are told. I suspect that this occurs because television is the most 'spoon-fed' method of information gathering - the television viewer passively receives information/narrative in a way which requires minimal end-user interaction or input. Neuro-plasticity refers to the capacity of the human brain to physical alter itself as an adaptive mechanism in response to its environment.

Think of the typical day for your TV junkie: work 8 hours (often at a job requiring little critical thinking), go home and spend 3-6 hours watching TV (where the narrative is spoon-fed to the viewer), subtract transport time and feeding, and then sleep. Such a combination repeated for decades on end will result in the brain adapting to this routine, diminishing the neural pathways in the brain which are responsible for critical and pro-active thinking (as the brain shuts down activity in areas of itself which it hardly uses).

As a result, over the long term TV viewers become more credulous and especially trusting of what is shown on their ever familiar television set.

What do you think?

I quit watching general television around 2008?Never felt better. Never going back.

Tesseract

Banned
Truthfully, I think we'd all be shocked at what we discovered about ourselves and the world at large if we unplugged completely for a week or so. (I'm talking complete digital fast - no screens of any kind.)
giphy.gif

Birdo

Banned
I stopped watching TV about ten years ago and don't regret it.

I kind of just replaced it with Youtube though. Which is quickly morphing into the exact same thing

Breakage

TV doesn't allow you think or reflect mid-way in the same way as you can with a book. It's just a stream of edited images bombarding your mind. You also have these weird juxtapositions where you have images of something tragic (e.g. people running for cover in a warzone) followed by an advert for a mobile phone or a new car. I'm sure the rapid emotional switch (going from sad to happy to sad) that happens during such moments has a harmful effect on the mind.

teezzy

Banned
OP, you're posting on a video game enthusiast website. Get off your high horse.

Television has just as much merit as any other entertainment medium. Just because people are lazy and do nothing other than work un a cubicle, eat Bugles, and watch Netflix all day doesnt change that. It says a lot more about the individual than their medium of choice tbh.

Falcs

Banned
OP, you're posting on a video game enthusiast website. Get off your high horse.

Television has just as much merit as any other entertainment medium. Just because people are lazy and do nothing other than work un a cubicle, eat Bugles, and watch Netflix all day doesnt change that. It says a lot more about the individual than their medium of choice tbh.
He's talking about traditional broadcasted television programming, not the medium itself.

isual

for me its more about not having to watch ads because that 30 seconds adds up over your lifetime. and you cant earn back more time

Top Bottom