• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Matt from Reeee on Sony Bought Exclusivity Deals

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Makes somewhat sense though. At time point Xbox buyers are (with the exception of CoD maybe) starting to be what Nintendo buyers have been since the dawn of time... Buy said console for games from said company. Everything else on PlayStation and PC.

MiguelItUp

Ah yes, the good ol "I have my sources" person. Just like all the others with inside information. Dime a dozen. Some information is legit, some is eh. I'm sure this is real, I mean, there's going to be exclusives all over the place on both consoles. But the questions are what they will be and how many.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Where is MS doing that? They aren't even enforcing it with their own studios let alone 3rd parties. You think they are telling Capcom to make Village compatible with Xbox One against their will?

Phil Spencer has repeatedly said the Microsoft philosophy for first party is cross gen, and they have a cross gen strategy going forward. You don’t think third party developers would have picked up on that? Or that Sony wouldn’t use it as leverage?

Amiga

Interesting thought. I have no idea if it works like that. They are putting together a game they want to release on Xbox and PC too (maybe even Switch). What design/development aspect exactly would make it faster for the PS5 and then take additional time on other platforms? How would a game look that gets developed first for PS5 and then (ported?) to Xbox and PC? I mean besides tuning the graphical settings tailor fitting them to the hardware.

Sounds like extra steps for the developers and I am not sure if they have the time and resources

one of the most difficult aspects of development is perfecting streaming code, the I/O streamlines a lot of work and is fast, this is basically the one most consistent thing mentioned by developers who talked about the PS5, it's always been about the I/O SSD combo, not just the SSD. both XBSX and PS5 will mostly use similar code, but it will be easier to time/queue on the PS5. this also makes fixes easy because devs don't have to worry much about reordering streaming from storage if they want to put in new code.

this is the same situation as the 360 vs PS3. it was faster to get things done on the 360 so MS and publishers came to mutually beneficial terms.

Ten_Fold

Wow imagine 1 year GTA6 exclusive only on PS5, no Xbox or PC release for a year. That along with maybe a MvC4 funded by Sony/Capcom would be wild.

CrysisFreak

Banned
"Playstation No Choice" would have been better.
02b.jpg

Sony have 3 out 4 consoles with 100m plus install base .... that carries a lot of value in this instance, hell of a lot of potential sales MS would have to compensate for.
In America both consoles are relatively similar in sales with PlayStation a head by a little. Last time I checked it was something like 32 million Xbox and 37 million PlayStation.

I don’t think activation would isolate a little under half it’s American market.

It intrigues me to see just how much they really spent. $750 million is a bunch for one thing, especially timed. It has to be something huge.

If the tales are to be taken as truth, that isn't the only check they wrote, which is all the more shocking without even knowing what they are.

Somebody said something in here about "only on the weaker system". Two things on that:

1.) The PS5 may be weaker, but it also doesn't seem to be as weak as people like to claim.

2.) Microsoft has done fuck-all to show anything that truly utilizes the XSX power since hyping it up.

I don't doubt that they will show it, but first impressions always matter and they failed on that first showcase, not 100%, but majority with that showing of Infinite.

Metaphorically, you can't show up for a job interview dressed haphazardly and expect not to be called on it or decisions preemptively made.

Not unless the deal has already been made and the contract signed. Then Activision would have a legal obligation to fulfill it.
That’s not how these negotiations works. lol. They always go to whoever offers the most money. You see that with nba 2k. It has switched back and forth the past 7 years for marketing.

With that being said none of the big developers for multiplayer games would go exclusive, even if timed.

SirTerry-T

Ahhh, what you don't get, you don't miss. There's plenty of games out there.

I'll probably go XBox this time round...skipped last gen and went with the Switch as my "new" machine, my lad already has an Xbox One S on a family account with GamePass, so the Seattle lot are pretty much guaranteed at least one sale from my household.

If that means I get to play some BIG games later or not at all, then so be it.
I went through this as a Saturn owner, so it's all water under the bridge.

As other posters have said, this sort of practice has been going on since the VCS days. It business...as shitty as the practice maybe and it needs reiterating, none of these suits on the blue team, green team or er... Italian plumber's team are your "friends", we are all just part of their yearly financial reports. Don't hold these companies and their official mouthpieces as some sort of heroes or villains, they are just doing a job.

Last edited:
Phil Spencer has repeatedly said the Microsoft philosophy for first party is cross gen, and they have a cross gen strategy going forward. You don’t think third party developers would have picked up on that? Or that Sony wouldn’t use it as leverage?

MS's limited cross-gen 1st-party approach has no bearing on what 3rd-parties do WRT having their games go into timed exclusivity deals deals. For one, they aren't forcing 3rd-parties to do cross-gen.

Anyway, about Matt's comments (the guy who actually spoke of the rumors, Imran, also posted in that thread)...I guess we'll just have to wait and see to what scale and degree their purchases were. One thing they've made clear is that these weren't necessarily offers exclusive to Sony, though there's the likelihood Sony may've gotten a lower price on some due to marketshare advantage.

Regardless, even entertaining the possibility Sony may've locked up timed exclusivity of big AAA games like FFXVI or GTA6 (fucking GTA6!!!), that's extremely dangerous for MS to have let happen. Pay the higher prices if you must, you don't let your competitor buy timed exclusivity on an endgame release like GTA6!!!!

I have to wonder if Microsoft decided to prioritize quantity in their timed exclusivity/console exclusivity pursuits as a means of "filling up" Gamepass. If so...I don't know if that is the best decision. I know they have a long-term goal with Gamepass, but they have to cover some of the short-term as well. They still need those massive "impact" AAA 3rd-party timed exclusives to rile up swells of attention, the way only massive AAA title with huge brand recognition can. Even if they can't get those games day-and-date with Gamepass, simply having that type of title on their platform as a timed exclusive benefits the entire ecosystem, including Gamepass, so there's no reason to be stingy and refuse going for those kind of deals.

It would be understandable of MS to forgo trying to secure massive 3rd-party AAA timed exclusives if their 1st party were ready to roll out from the beginning and of large enough stature to really demand the attention of the masses. Unfortunately, the one big AAA they showed off, Halo Infinite, had a somewhat lukewarm reception outside of the hardcore Halo fanbase, and most of their other 1st party games specifically designed with next-gen as the target, are at least two years away going by the amount of CG trailers for them and some like Everwild still experimenting with their gameplay concepts.

So that's going to leave a gap for at least the first year of them relying on moreso mid-tier and modestly-budgeted indie 3rd-party timed exclusives, and cross-gen 1st party with enhanced effects for the next-gen Series systems, along with typical 3rd-party support. Which is a good strategy in isolation, but then you've got Sony who are already pushing ahead with next-gen only 1st party in the first year, a slightly larger 3rd-party pool of support, some similar timed exclusives of mid-tier and indie 3rd parties as MS, and (very likely) timed exclusives of MASSIVE 3rd-party AAA game content or games outright.

It's the last part that could make the biggest difference because, again, we're potentially looking at titles like FFXVI, GTA6, etc. Despite my own feelings on most types of moneyhats, MS as a business should absolutely be looking into securing these types of deals. The fact they have marketing rights (at least in certain regions) for games like Cyberpunk and Elden Ring, yet most likely don't have any timed exclusive content or game rights to those, is a bit shocking. They had to of been aware of Sony's strategy in this regard at least partially, and know that simply trying to fill out Gamepass with a quantity of quality content is not enough to draw away attention from a competitor doing major 3rd-party AAA exclusivity deals, especially when said competitor is arguably at their strongest heading into a new gen as they were going from PS1 to PS2 (and in fact, they are arguably stronger now than they were then).

MS, seriously consider arranging these kind of megaton timed exclusive deals with 3rd-party games, never mind how much it'll cost and never mind if you can't get the game on Gamepass, either. Because as fun as titles like Tell Me Why and As Dusk Falls, Gunk etc. will likely be....they are simply not on the same level of a FFXVI or especially a GTA6 in terms of allure, brand loyalty, and sheer commanding presence/attention they'd bring to your platform/ecosystem. That's just a 100% fact.

That’s not how these negotiations works. lol. They always go to whoever offers the most money. You see that with nba 2k. It has switched back and forth the past 7 years for marketing.

With that being said none of the big developers for multiplayer games would go exclusive, even if timed.

They actually do work that way. You honestly think they just drop money off and don't sign anything off?

With that said what do you think if the deal was with Rockstar for GTAVI instead? Would Microsoft do something about it?

The rumors are pointing out that it's a pretty big deal. And your telling me that Microsoft would simply outbid Sony if it was that big.

Let's wait and see what it actually is before coming to that conclusion.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Maybe it is Rockstar, it would explain Jim's 'we are proud to continue that partnership with PS5' statement at PS5 console reveal.

Maybe a year exclusive for the GTA5 PS5 Remaster. Cannot see it involving GTA6.

Final Fantasy seems a lock. I expect it to involve games that sell the vast majority on PS, maybe Resident Evil.

But... Who's buying GTA5 on PS5 when PS5 Backwards Compatability exists? What would be the upside?

REE Machine

Banned
MS's limited cross-gen 1st-party approach has no bearing on what 3rd-parties do WRT having their games go into timed exclusivity deals deals. For one, they aren't forcing 3rd-parties to do cross-gen.

Anyway, about Matt's comments (the guy who actually spoke of the rumors, Imran, also posted in that thread)...I guess we'll just have to wait and see to what scale and degree their purchases were. One thing they've made clear is that these weren't necessarily offers exclusive to Sony, though there's the likelihood Sony may've gotten a lower price on some due to marketshare advantage.
From what it sounds like Sony went knocking first with a big offer because they said there is no third party they havent contacted and I assume they also contacted MS to see if they wanted a deal or could match and Sony came in with such a high price for most if not all the deals it could not have been turned down.

Drewpee

Banned
Makes somewhat sense though. At time point Xbox buyers are (with the exception of CoD maybe) starting to be what Nintendo buyers have been since the dawn of time... Buy said console for games from said company. Everything else on PlayStation and PC.

More like everything else on PC, along with first party Sony titles. By the end of this generation you will likely be able to play every game available on a PC. Sony didn't invest in Epic because they are great buddies and Epic needed a few dollars.

There are major plans there and I think alot of Sony fans are going to have to twist their logic (again) into supporting it after crapping on Xbox for doing the same. Similar to this thread.

Last edited:
But... Who's buying GTA5 on PS5 when PS5 Backwards Compatability exists? What would be the upside?
When it said expanded and enhanced for PS5 I presumed it is going to be a new version, not just a patch.

You do not think a version of GTA5 at 4K /60fps with improved graphics. Along with added content (VR mode) would sell. That along with GTA online is going to get plenty of gamers to pick up PS5.

Last edited:

mejin

It's not going to be one sided Xbox will get exclusives for Xbox . They showed 22 console launch exclusives & no one screamed bloody murder but now people getting upset because Sony might be getting some big games that people might care about.

It will be one sided if the majority of timed exclusives MS got are just cannon fodder for gamepass. Sony is all about quality, not quantity. That's why those people are so terrified right now lol

onQ123

It will be one sided if the majority of timed exclusives MS got are just cannon fodder for gamepass. Sony is all about quality, not quantity. That's why those people are so terrified right now lol
I mean not one sided in the practice of getting console exclusives

just cannon fodder for gamepass.

I'm not saying that gamepass is for throwaway games. There are quality titles on it worth playing.

With that said people have to keep in mind that Microsoft is extremely focused on gamepass. In order to ensure the success of gamepass they have to obtain content for it. People need to keep in mind that Microsoft will try and obtain content that's perfect for gamepass if developers are willing to have their games in it. I wouldn't expect for them to aim at any really big expensive title because the publishers don't want to miss out on retail sales. But I'm expecting that they will go for smaller titles or games that are not expected to sell extremely well at launch. This doesn't mean they will be garbage though just don't expect something like Cyberpunk on gamepass at the games launch.

I think the two are going for two very different markets with these types of deals.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Regardless, even entertaining the possibility Sony may've locked up timed exclusivity of big AAA games like FFXVI or GTA6 (fucking GTA6!!!), that's extremely dangerous for MS to have let happen. Pay the higher prices if you must, you don't let your competitor buy timed exclusivity on an endgame release like GTA6!!!!

I have to wonder if Microsoft decided to prioritize quantity in their timed exclusivity/console exclusivity pursuits as a means of "filling up" Gamepass. If so...I don't know if that is the best decision. I know they have a long-term goal with Gamepass, but they have to cover some of the short-term as well. They still need those massive "impact" AAA 3rd-party timed exclusives to rile up swells of attention, the way only massive AAA title with huge brand recognition can. Even if they can't get those games day-and-date with Gamepass, simply having that type of title on their platform as a timed exclusive benefits the entire ecosystem, including Gamepass, so there's no reason to be stingy and refuse going for those kind of deals.

It would be understandable of MS to forgo trying to secure massive 3rd-party AAA timed exclusives if their 1st party were ready to roll out from the beginning and of large enough stature to really demand the attention of the masses. Unfortunately, the one big AAA they showed off, Halo Infinite, had a somewhat lukewarm reception outside of the hardcore Halo fanbase, and most of their other 1st party games specifically designed with next-gen as the target, are at least two years away going by the amount of CG trailers for them and some like Everwild still experimenting with their gameplay concepts.

So that's going to leave a gap for at least the first year of them relying on moreso mid-tier and modestly-budgeted indie 3rd-party timed exclusives, and cross-gen 1st party with enhanced effects for the next-gen Series systems, along with typical 3rd-party support. Which is a good strategy in isolation, but then you've got Sony who are already pushing ahead with next-gen only 1st party in the first year, a slightly larger 3rd-party pool of support, some similar timed exclusives of mid-tier and indie 3rd parties as MS, and (very likely) timed exclusives of MASSIVE 3rd-party AAA game content or games outright.

It's the last part that could make the biggest difference because, again, we're potentially looking at titles like FFXVI, GTA6, etc. Despite my own feelings on most types of moneyhats, MS as a business should absolutely be looking into securing these types of deals. The fact they have marketing rights (at least in certain regions) for games like Cyberpunk and Elden Ring, yet most likely don't have any timed exclusive content or game rights to those, is a bit shocking. They had to of been aware of Sony's strategy in this regard at least partially, and know that simply trying to fill out Gamepass with a quantity of quality content is not enough to draw away attention from a competitor doing major 3rd-party AAA exclusivity deals, especially when said competitor is arguably at their strongest heading into a new gen as they were going from PS1 to PS2 (and in fact, they are arguably stronger now than they were then).

MS, seriously consider arranging these kind of megaton timed exclusive deals with 3rd-party games, never mind how much it'll cost and never mind if you can't get the game on Gamepass, either. Because as fun as titles like Tell Me Why and As Dusk Falls, Gunk etc. will likely be....they are simply not on the same level of a FFXVI or especially a GTA6 in terms of allure, brand loyalty, and sheer commanding presence/attention they'd bring to your platform/ecosystem. That's just a 100% fact.

I truly believe that MS will have significant exclusive deals, but they will be oriented towards Gamepass. There is a clear path they are taking, and everything they are doing is a bet on GP. It doesn’t seem likely that MS will be spending a lot of money, if any, on exclusives that are not meant for GP.

Last edited:
I truly believe that MS will have significant exclusive deals, but they will be oriented towards Gamepass. There is a clear path they are taking, and everything they are doing is a bet on GP. It doesn’t seem likely that MS will be spending a lot of money, if any, on exclusives that are not meant for GP.

I think of gamepass as being their console that they are pushing. It's pretty obvious that while the two have done stuff with those types of services, Microsoft is extremely focused on gamepass. Their strategies with games are probably going to be quite different from Sonys. It's up for consumers to decide which one they like best.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm not saying that gamepass is for throwaway games. There are quality titles on it worth playing.

With that said people have to keep in mind that Microsoft is extremely focused on gamepass. In order to ensure the success of gamepass they have to obtain content for it. People need to keep in mind that Microsoft will try and obtain content that's perfect for gamepass if developers are willing to have their games in it. I wouldn't expect for them to aim at any really big expensive title because the publishers don't want to miss out on retail sales. But I'm expecting that they will go for smaller titles or games that are not expected to sell extremely well at launch. This doesn't mean they will be garbage though just don't expect something like Cyberpunk on gamepass at the games launch.

I think the two are going for two very different markets with these types of deals.
As much as everyone likes to think Phil does not have an unlimited budget. He had zero budget until 2018. He is choosing to spend it on new studios and hiring for the new studios. Sure he could of not bought any studios and played the stupid Jack ryan timed exclusive game. Then all the bellyaching Microsoft has no games. Jack ryan wants a monopoly what ever i cant wait for it to blow up in these publishers and warrior's faces when it happens.

I think of gamepass as being their console that they are pushing. It's pretty obvious that while the two have done stuff with those types of services, Microsoft is extremely focused on gamepass. Their strategies with games are probably going to be quite different from Sonys. It's up for consumers to decide which one they like best.
Lol console with COD and GTA the other with out it real tough choice for the general public. Nothing to do with gamepass nice try though.

Last edited:
Lol console with COD and GTA the other with out it real tough choice for the general public. Nothing to do with gamepass nice try though.

I was making a reference to the timed exclusives that they might be gunning for. Microsoft will want timed exclusives that they can easily put on gamepass while Sony will want retail exclusives to help sell their consoles.

Just two different strategies with timed exclusives. One is aimed at selling hardware while the other is aimed at selling services.

And in reference to your other comment even with these types of deals Sony continue to support their console with exclusives and maybe even buy a few studios along the way if they really need them. It is possible to do both.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Wait, is there some suggestion that they're paying $750m for a single timed exclusive deal?

If that's true it can only really be GTA 6. No way anything else is worth close to that.

onQ123

There is a big market of kids coming up who are used to just loading up whatever game they want on phones & tablets so Gamepass would be more of their cup of tea over having these big games that they can't play unless they pay $60.

kikii

i didnt read any of this..but cuz sony has few timed exclusives and now whole world is collapsing ? but MS showed 22 timed exclusives on their CraigShow and thats okee ?...tell me did i miss something =D

They actually do work that way. You honestly think they just drop money off and don't sign anything off?

With that said what do you think if the deal was with Rockstar for GTAVI instead? Would Microsoft do something about it?

The rumors are pointing out that it's a pretty big deal. And your telling me that Microsoft would simply outbid Sony if it was that big.

Let's wait and see what it actually is before coming to that conclusion.
You honestly think Activision would sign with Sony WITHOUT going to Microsoft for a counter offer? For something as big as timed exclusive for the biggest game of the year? Lol

Mr Moose

As much as everyone likes to think Phil does not have an unlimited budget. He had zero budget until 2018. He is choosing to spend it on new studios and hiring for the new studios. Sure he could of not bought any studios and played the stupid Jack ryan timed exclusive game. Then all the bellyaching Microsoft has no games. Jack ryan wants a monopoly what ever i cant wait for it to blow up in these publishers and warrior's faces when it happens.

giphy.gif

You must be forgetting that Phil announced lots of timed exclusives in their Xbox show.

Last edited:
They acquired Ninja Theory and now blocked Hellblade 2 for Playstation after the original coming originally first for the platform. I mean it is really all business in the end.
Buying a studio is different. They are now funding the development vs buying exclusivity for a period of time. Sony is no different with their studio acquisitions.

Top Bottom