• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Matt from Reeee on Sony Bought Exclusivity Deals

Zato

Banned
Because people understand caving for enough money even if it's bad for the industry.

Couldn't be bad for the industry, been a part of it forever and it continues to grow and mature ....... your words have no basis in fact, just sentimental, idealist sap.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
This console genaration launch has been pretty fucking wild with how childish and triggered gamers are getting over stupid things.

I have both PlayStation and Xbox consoles and may have a privledged (lol) view on this but this is nothing new in the gaming space. All 3rd Party games usually end up on both consoles. Usually the console that misses out get the best version of the game and then PC get the ultimate.

Chill the fuck out. Even if it's a huge AAA, the game will eventually be playable for you and the ones who played before you did are not better for the fact.

Side note: this forum would have been a completely diff place if MS was doing the moneyhatting lmao.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I'm a PlayStation fan and I consider this being ultra aggressive. It will probably work out for them but jeez if they're moneyhatting multiple 3rd party AAA exclusives in established franchises they're basically running around dropping nukes on the industry. Oh well idc I'll get to play anyway.

REE Machine

Banned
When I just said how I dislike third part exclusives like this, how would Microsoft buying more third party exclusives make anything better? Two wrongs make a right? Microsoft has done the better thing imo(long term at least). They've expanded their first party studios enormously, and will end up with a ton of new first party ip.

That's far better than moneyhatting a title here, a title there just to lock sole gamers out of their favorite series.
And PlayStation has a shot ton of first party devs they are just giving you more incentive to choose their hardware now

Zato

Banned
Side note: this forum would have been a completely diff place if MS was doing the moneyhatting lmao.

Well you see most gaming forums will favour PlayStation ..... Its reflective of the market ...... far more people have a PlayStation.

MS as a minority platform would raise more vitriol as it would be keeping games away from a greater number of gamers.

As far as I am concerned, its part of the business, always has been. MS kept the likes of Mass Effect and Bioshock from the PS3 ....... I just got on with it.

Anyway, MS fans will have lots of Gamepass content to play.

Mr Moose

giphy.gif

Posts like these may not age very well. Especially when we‘ve not actually seen anything running on Series X yet. It might well end up being the most powerful console on paper... but I really wouldn’t make comments like this until I’d actually seen it running a game or two...
And if the Series S exists (Lockheart or whatever).
Plus there's Switch, if that counts.

ToadMan

But that still doesn’t make this better for consumers. It still makes it worse no matter how you look at it.

Sony could pay for extra content to be made and that would be pro consumer. Sony paying to keep games and content away from some consumers is anti consumer now matter how many Sony shills want to say it isn’t.

Sony already have a string of 1P studios all working away and they’ve produced numerous excellent products.

If Sony want to create new studios, then it will cost a lot and they probably won’t see a return on that investment this generation - in fact there wouldn’t even be an actual AAA game released.

Buying exclusives is less risky, cheaper and delivers results more quickly than developing studios. MS were so convinced by this after the success of 360 they killed off their first party and believed 3rd parties would carry the xb1. That was their mistake which they’re trying to rectify now.

Sony still have their first party though and enough money to pay for 3rd parties to make games that perform well to PS5 strengths, can be delivered in shorter timescales and will influence purchasers to PS5.

It’s business - nothing is being withheld from consumers. If theres a game in a major franchise that’s coming to next gen only on PS5, just buy a PS5. That’s Sony’s offer to you.

If you’re someone who would never buy a PlayStation, then that’s your choice, but you’re not in the target demographic for Sony - they want to grow the install base of next gen early and they’ll target “undecided purchasers” by offering content.

Ellery

A thing to consider, this is a result of the PS5 design, it's easier, cheaper and faster to program. games can go gold first on the PS5. 3rd party publishers will find themselves in situations where they are waiting for the Xbox version to get done.

since the cost of development for the console that is expected to be market leader is lower then why not just launch 1st on the PS5 and in exchange get PSN store marketing privileges and front display space. digital sales are now 50% of the market and Sony hold a lot of leverage there.

the PS5 is developer focused, there is a reason Sony went through all that trouble in redesigning complex pipelines that smooth things out for devs.

Interesting thought. I have no idea if it works like that. They are putting together a game they want to release on Xbox and PC too (maybe even Switch). What design/development aspect exactly would make it faster for the PS5 and then take additional time on other platforms? How would a game look that gets developed first for PS5 and then (ported?) to Xbox and PC? I mean besides tuning the graphical settings tailor fitting them to the hardware.

Sounds like extra steps for the developers and I am not sure if they have the time and resources

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People crying about this shit are either snowflakes or broke.

Or both.
Well, I don't care if some MP game got moneyhatted to oblivion, but fuck Sony if they pull another Control DLC situation. 3 fucking months. Sure I would play that on different platform, but guess what....save are not portable from platform to platform...

GHG

Gold Member
Well, I don't care if some MP game got moneyhatted to oblivion, but fuck Sony if they pull another Control DLC situation. 3 fucking months. Sure I would play that on different platform, but guess what....save are not portable from platform to platform...

With control the DLC is still day one on PC as well isn't it?

But honestly I think its better that full exclusives are done rather than this partial timed exclusive shit on DLC or even on patches (see tetris effect).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

But honestly I think its better that full exclusives are done rather than this partial timed exclusive shit on DLC or even on patches (see tetris effect).
Sure it was, but my save file was on Xbox, so that solved nothing. It was just "fuck Xbox" type of deal. Not saying, that MS have not done it, but for SP game, it's bullshit.

And to be honest, I don't remember much of these situations this gen, because most often I did not care. But with Control....that's different situation.

Reactions: GHG

Perrott

Gold Member

I don't think so.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't think so.

Nah PC gets the DLC day one as well:

The catch... Its EGS exclusive.

Shits everywhere, I've given up at this point, no point in fighting it. If there's a timed exclusive game you want and you can't wait just get on whatever it is you need to get it. Life is too short.

Well you see most gaming forums will favour PlayStation ..... Its reflective of the market ...... far more people have a PlayStation.

MS as a minority platform would raise more vitriol as it would be keeping games away from a greater number of gamers.

As far as I am concerned, its part of the business, always has been. MS kept the likes of Mass Effect and Bioshock from the PS3 ....... I just got on with it.

Anyway, MS fans will have lots of Gamepass content to play.

Uhh Microsoft published mass effect if you don't recall. Its generally expected that self-published games stay exclusive... the fact that they let it goto the PS3 at all is fairly remarkable. Not a good example.

Perrott

Gold Member
Nah PC gets the DLC day one as well:

The catch... Its EGS exclusive.

Shits everywhere, I've given up at this point, no point in fighting it. If there's a timed exclusive game you want and you can't wait just get on whatever it is you need to get it. Life is too short.
Ohh... that's a weird thing to do with DLCs early access.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Bad for the industry how? Any paid exclusivity represents guaranteed revenue for a title. I assume in more of these cases, that payment constitutes a significant portion of the development costs. How is that bad, when it means the developer has a better chance of having the game be profitable for them?

The whole anti-consumer/bad for the industry argument is hollow. I wish people would be more genuine about it and just say that it prevents them from getting the game on their platform of choice. Or that it prevents gamers of other platforms, in general, from getting the game. That's the real crux of the matter. There have to be incentives for providing exclusivity, and those incentives benefit both the game maker, and the platform holder. These are mutually beneficial agreements, otherwise companies wouldn't engage in them.
You are deliberately excluding other people UNLESS they buy your product... Yeah that's not anti-consumer at all.

FunkMiller

I’m gonna go positive and say some companies dont want to be forced make games for old hardware and streaming and neflix-of-gaming. Bring on the only legit next gen console!

If Sony went to anyone with the argument: 'Make your game exclusively for us, and you won't have to worry about being restricted by having to program for a seven year old console' ... i'd say that would have been quite a compelling argument for any developer keen to push boundaries and doing innovative things with their new projects.

You are deliberately excluding other people UNLESS they buy your product... Yeah that's not anti-consumer at all.

It's not really anti consumer from a Sony fans point of view though is it? ... what do ps fans care if fans of another platform cant get whatever games that have been moneyhatted as far as their concerned Sony's making ps the best place to play and adding value to the platform and I can't fault them for that .

Thirty7ven

Banned

Don’t be thick. When MS goes out there and splashes out of their ass for Gamepass, including exclusives, you and the rest of the outrage mob throw a party and go on a Internet campaign spreading the word.

When another company decides to open the checkbook it becomes questionable all of a sudden?

How can a business exclude a consumer unless they refuse to sell said consumer the product? It is the consumer whom excludes themselves by choosing not to purchase said product. I am convinced that the majority of people claiming anti-consumerism clearly don't understand what that means.

PresetError

Neophyte
The point of timed exclusives is not the exclusivity but the initial sales. The vast majority of copies of a game not called GTA V or Skyrim are sold the first month after release. If your exclusivity deal is for 6 months or a year that % increases even more.

Also, games make the maximum amount of noise when they are about to release or they just released. It's the time when reviews come out, the game is discussed and judged, most people play it and share their experiences with it. For better or worst, people are going to associate that game with the platform it launched on.

Get enough third party timed exclusives or exclusive content deals and people will start to associate your brand with the better content on the market. It's not about screwing players on other platforms, it's about convincing players to join your platform. It's called competition.

joe_zazen

How can a business exclude a consumer unless they refuse to sell said consumer the product? It is the consumer whom excludes themselves by choosing not to purchase said product. I am convinced that the majority of people claiming anti-consumerism clearly don't understand what that means.

i bought a ticket to Universal and the fuckers at disneyland wouldn't let me in. How is that fair?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Don’t be thick. When MS goes out there and splashes out of their ass for Gamepass, including exclusives, you and the rest of the outrage mob throw a party and go on a Internet campaign spreading the word.

When another company decides to open the checkbook it becomes questionable all of a sudden?
Also not a fan of when Microsoft does this... I like it that they buy titles for on Game Pass, I don't like it when they buy titles exclusively.

cormack12

Gold Member
The point of this is to make sure the best version of the game isn't seen at the same time for comparison as well as cover a shortfall of a poor launch lineup (absence of games for 2/3 years). The Xbox Series X might be the best place to play those third party games (playing the odds this is likely to be the case, in terms of perf and res), but if the cost is a years delay will people wait that long? It also hides those day one DF comparison videos where it might show you struggling a little to keep up with the competitor in fidelity.

As soon as you make your peace with this stuff, the better. Microsofts pockets are deep and can you imagine if they moneyhatted Fifa 21 as a year exclusive? It's a shit practise and makes me lose a little respect for Sony. And I had exactly the same response when MS did it with Tomb Raider. The question at the moment shouldn't be 'Is it OK that Sony are doing this?', the question should be 'Why are they?'. They are the market leader with an unprecedented lead, amazing 1st party IPs that are criticallly acclaimed, a good and robust online service - so why do this?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Also not a fan of when Microsoft does this... I like it that they buy titles for on Game Pass, I don't like it when they buy titles exclusively.

But what is there not to like? It’s such a ridiculous conversation.

Don’t like what you’re getting on one platform? Buy the other one. Or buy both. Complaining they aren’t offering the same thing is childish. Seriously, it’s really childish.

Klayzer

Don’t like what you’re getting on one platform? Buy the other one. Or buy both. Complaining they aren’t offering the same thing is childish. Seriously, it’s really childish.
This one size should fit all campaign going on with parts of the community, serious needs to stop.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

From a consumer pov I would prefer that those games are on a platforms. "Just get both" isn't an argument. I just don't like 3rd party exclusives, I get first party, just not a fan of 3rd party. Also from a developers pov you want as many people as possible to enjoy your game.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'm a PlayStation fan and I consider this being ultra aggressive. It will probably work out for them but jeez if they're moneyhatting multiple 3rd party AAA exclusives in established franchises they're basically running around dropping nukes on the industry. Oh well idc I'll get to play anyway.

I’m trying to think of a third party game they could get as an exclusive which would also bother a lot of Xbox people. People who like Japanese games are already on the PS train so that leaves a Western AAA. CoD or GTA are honestly the only two games that people would freak out over imo.

People already expect the next FF, KH or Platinum game to be exclusive and at least timed from Xbox.

Thirty7ven

Banned
From a consumer pov I would prefer that those games are on a platforms. "Just get both" isn't an argument. I just don't like 3rd party exclusives, I get first party, just not a fan of 3rd party. Also from a developers pov you want as many people as possible to enjoy your game.

Yeah and from a consumer point of view I would prefer these were like DVD players.

They aren’t and crying about it is childish.

DavidGzz

Give me more reasons to start up the PS5 than 1-2 exclusives a year, Sony. Sounds good to me. I'll still have access to it all so go on. I think some people in here would be very sad if MS retaliated though. I say go for it, MS. Make each platform truly unique.

If Sony went to anyone with the argument: 'Make your game exclusively for us, and you won't have to worry about being restricted by having to program for a seven year old console' ... i'd say that would have been quite a compelling argument for any developer keen to push boundaries and doing innovative things with their new projects.

Where is MS doing that? They aren't even enforcing it with their own studios let alone 3rd parties. You think they are telling Capcom to make Village compatible with Xbox One against their will?

Last edited:
Top Bottom