• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Matt from Reeee on Sony Bought Exclusivity Deals

Kimahri

Banned
So its alright for Xbox, long as its games nobody cares about?

No, it's not okay. I'll say it again, I dislike third party exclusives. Period. But getting some game nobody's heard about, is, compared to some of the biggest series in the world, the lesser evil.

Do I need to repeat myself again just so nobody else reads into things? I dislike third party exclusives no matter who has em. Except where previously stated, such as when it wouldn't exist without first party funding.

Such as Bayonetta 2, that was okay.

I'll repeat myself one more time, just to be safe. Moneyhatting multiplatform games to make them exclusive is a shit practice . Yes, even if you're Microsoft and it's a tiny game.

I think this is disingenuous, no offense.

At least part of the stink over ROTR exclusitivity was that TR was considered a PS-associated franchise and had just had a successful reboot game, which if I recall correctly sold best on PS.

You can't even compare COD to ROTR, since Sony now has the marketing association with COD since beginning of last gen. Not sure on Destiny, as Halo IP stayed with XB.

Maybe you could draw the comparison to PS1 snagging Final Fantasy series, but that was down to Nintendo's stubbornness of sticking to cartridges and bossing companies about, so even that is not a fully apt comparison.
No offense taken. COD multiplayer was more affiliated with xbox prior to this generation. It was a big deal that they jumped platforms for marketing, so not much different at all. Regardless, my point is you can't bitch about one company money-hatting and excuse the other one for the same practice. Either the practice is acceptable or bad.. it shouldn't be dependant on platform preference. Personally I could give a shit because I'll invest in both ecosystems at some point.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
While Sony fans are twirling their moustaches and Xbox fans clutching their pearls, Phil is in the jacuzzi thinking up his next tweet

Guys exclusives are bad mkay. I'm also not a fan of timed exclusives, they go against the spirit of gaming. Gaming should be for everyone, no boundaries or divisions, look how woke we are.

Please buy The Medium, Series X Console Launch Exclusive.

I’d rather MS buy WB than sony because at least then games would be on PC as well as Xbox.

I’d prefer a third party publisher like EA/Acti/Ubi buy them though.

Fanboys for Ms want Ms to buy exclusives. Fanboys for Sony want Sony to buy exclusives. Everyone else wants zero third party moneyhatted exclusives.

A lot of Sony stuff is also on PC, though. Sure with MS it's guaranteed but it's not like with Sony it's guaranteed it WON'T.

Because people understand caving for enough money even if it's bad for the industry.

What about Street Fighter V? What about Bayonetta 2 on Switch? Is it bad for the industry when some games WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST without exclusivity deals? Games used to cost more than 60 dollars and that's before adjusting for inflation, the price of games has stagnated and an ANTI-CONSUMER way game companies make up for it is with things like MTX but another way is these exclusivity deals, the fact of the matter is games require more revenue streams than just gamers, especially games who are going to buy the game on a gray market site, torrent it or buy it used.

SaucyJack

I said this is a other thread, but it will be different because Sony. People cannot see beyond a logo to see the long term ramifications a deal like this will have, if true.

I call bullshit.

People across this forum have been consistently negative on the worst variants of moneyhatting, regardless of who does it.

Ar¢tos

Those links in the OP are vomit inducing, and I don't have much gag reflex!

What's wrong with screenshots?

idrago01

Banned
Thank OP why did you coerce me into clicking those resetera links, after looking at a few of those "colorful" avatars I noped the f'ck out of there

cormack12

Gold Member
I agree with the second post, another 'oooo, this is happening and it's going to blow your mind and be massive and unprecedented.' - from an insider. Remember the insiders on GAF had different accounts and just leaked it - fuck me you can stick it on pastebin and get someone to pick it up and run with it. That site is now just an extension of all the media clickbait sites. What a fkn joke.

On topic - it's a scumbag thing to do. Reeks of desperation. It did when MS did it with CD, and now it reeks of trying to cover up the fact the launch lineup is weak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What about Street Fighter V? What about Bayonetta 2 on Switch? Is it bad for the industry when some games WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST without exclusivity deals? Games used to cost more than 60 dollars and that's before adjusting for inflation, the price of games has stagnated and an ANTI-CONSUMER way game companies make up for it is with things like MTX but another way is these exclusivity deals, the fact of the matter is games require more revenue streams than just gamers, especially games who are going to buy the game on a gray market site, torrent it or buy it used.
But this 750mil deal isn't for a Bayonetta 2 type of game... This game would've been build anyway

But this 750mil deal isn't for a Bayonetta 2 type of game... This game would've been build anyway

Wait, we know the amount and what game now? Either way I using the extreme but the thing is even big budget games that would be made otherwise sometimes need a certain amount of protection from failure, if we get a Control 2 it'll probably because of Epic exclusivity with the first keeping it somewhat afloat despite lackluster sales.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ohhh sony is deff my friend. They want me to spend the money and they go out and spend their own money to lockdoen content for me as a purchaser of their console. Why fly coach when I can fly first class and be treated better and get perks?

This is the probably the most saddest post I've ever read on Gaf.

I've truly lost all faith in gaming.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Or they don't wanna play games on the weakest console

giphy.gif

Posts like these may not age very well. Especially when we‘ve not actually seen anything running on Series X yet. It might well end up being the most powerful console on paper... but I really wouldn’t make comments like this until I’d actually seen it running a game or two...

When I just said how I dislike third part exclusives like this, how would Microsoft buying more third party exclusives make anything better? Two wrongs make a right? Microsoft has done the better thing imo(long term at least). They've expanded their first party studios enormously, and will end up with a ton of new first party ip.

That's far better than moneyhatting a title here, a title there just to lock sole gamers out of their favorite series.

Sony has already established their first party and they are considered to be some of the best in the industry, so they are possibly looking for certain third party games to give them a little boost and make their console even more appealing.

The verdict is still out whether those acquisitions were worth it for Microsoft though. Microsoft’s portfolio and first party quantity will increase, but no one knows if the games are going to be good or garner a lot of attention. I’m expecting at least a good portion of them to be quality, but I’m wondering how the reception will be from the XBOX demographic.

Last edited:
Maybe it is Rockstar, it would explain Jim's 'we are proud to continue that partnership with PS5' statement at PS5 console reveal.

Maybe a year exclusive for the GTA5 PS5 Remaster. Cannot see it involving GTA6.

Final Fantasy seems a lock. I expect it to involve games that sell the vast majority on PS, maybe Resident Evil.

Max_Po

Banned
Wasn't it MS who started this whole nonsense.

Millions to lock out Bioshock and then GTA4 DLC ..while ignoring the RRoD ..

Anti consumer my ass. Its Businness 101.

MS would be talking exclusive if their acquired studios' projects were about to finish....

Klayzer

No, it's not okay. I'll say it again, I dislike third party exclusives. Period. But getting some game nobody's heard about, is, compared to some of the biggest series in the world, the lesser evil.

Do I need to repeat myself again just so nobody else reads into things? I dislike third party exclusives no matter who has em. Except where previously stated, such as when it wouldn't exist without first party funding.

Such as Bayonetta 2, that was okay.

I'll repeat myself one more time, just to be safe. Moneyhatting multiplatform games to make them exclusive is a shit practice . Yes, even if you're Microsoft and it's a tiny game.
Except you wasn't publicly critical of Xbox of when Microsoft dropped its recent moneyhattin news. What made you speak against it now?

Rac3r

I don't trust insiders who make huge claims and give zero detail. It's probably true that Sony made some deals for timed exclusivity, but I doubt it's as big as the hype. Maybe something on par with FF7 Remake, but no way it's Cod, GTA, etc.

geordiemp

Damn, where is Mattrick when you need him

Or they don't wanna play games on the weakest console

Yeah the weakest console is a problem, hopefullly MS can use more direct APIs and not the combersome abstraction......and the games can perform better, they can only keep using PCs for so long.

When do you think we will see good performance on XSX ?

Klayzer

I don't trust insiders who make huge claims and give zero detail. It's probably true that Sony made some deals for timed exclusivity, but I doubt it's as big as the hype. Maybe something on par with FF7 Remake, but no way it's Cod, GTA, etc.
I wish someone would leak how much money it costs up front for timed exclusivity. I know companies wouldn't do it if it wasn't profitable. I guess cash up front is just too hard pass up.

Zato

Banned
Thing is kids, Sony want to create as many reasons as possible to buy their machine ........ all these soft twats talking about "gaming" and "consumers" ......... its a business you dicks.

Sony want you to buy their machine, same as MS does ..... why wouldn't they do as many things as possible to make their machine the one to buy?

Why would they care about the experience for users of a different companies machine? They don't of course, would make no fucking sense, it a business .... not some agrarian cooperative manned by hairy armpit greasy haired hippy chicks and dudes with no jobs.

The only communities they care about are the ones on their respective machines.

I know a bunch of those soft wankers live over on era but I thought this place to be better, grow up and see the reality people. Exclusivity has been around since the Atari 2600 days and Nintendo had one of the most restrictive policies ever known in gaming during the NES days.

Good for Sony, with high quality first party and exclusives timed or not from 3rd parties ... will be the machine to get it would seem.

MastaKiiLA

Because people understand caving for enough money even if it's bad for the industry.
Bad for the industry how? Any paid exclusivity represents guaranteed revenue for a title. I assume in more of these cases, that payment constitutes a significant portion of the development costs. How is that bad, when it means the developer has a better chance of having the game be profitable for them?

The whole anti-consumer/bad for the industry argument is hollow. I wish people would be more genuine about it and just say that it prevents them from getting the game on their platform of choice. Or that it prevents gamers of other platforms, in general, from getting the game. That's the real crux of the matter. There have to be incentives for providing exclusivity, and those incentives benefit both the game maker, and the platform holder. These are mutually beneficial agreements, otherwise companies wouldn't engage in them.

Mmnow

I wish someone would leak how much money it costs up front for timed exclusivity. I know companies wouldn't do it if it wasn't profitable. I guess cash up front is just too hard pass up.

It doesn't have to be profitable directly, but at this point in the gen it can be crucial. An exclusive Call of Duty would mean people will buy PlayStation instead of Xbox regardless of where it'll play best, where their friends are etc.

I suspect the same is true of FF7. People will buy a remake of the most beloved RPG of all time regardless of where it is, so make it on Playstation. It doesn't matter what it costs, because you hope to recoup it elsewhere.

As for this thread, the funniest thing is people who think this is the result of some anti-gamepass cartel. Imagine being that delusional.

Last edited:
Top Bottom