• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Matt from Reeee on Sony Bought Exclusivity Deals

onQ123

Too much smoke, folks. Pretty sure Sony has busted out the checkbook in a big way this time from the sounds of it all.

Question is--is Gamepass really that reviled amongst the publisher/developer circle? Is it really loathed enough that you'd bequeath your biggest AAA titles to one console rather than multiplat it?

They call me a troll for pointing out stuff like this

Dr Bass

If this is true I will never buy a PS5. Can't support this type of behavior but congrats Sony fans.

Microsoft will need to be willing to spend billions to buy exclusive games and entire studios to shut this behavior down. If not, they should just get out of gaming because Sony would have changed the landscape with exclusive deals like what is mentioned.

Nothing good will come from this as a gamer.

Can't support this type of behavior by Sony but you want MS to buy up more studios? That's what MS has been doing. Do you support that kind of behavior?

Question is--is Gamepass really that reviled amongst the publisher/developer circle? Is it really loathed enough that you'd bequeath your biggest AAA titles to one console rather than multiplat it?

I wouldn't be surprised if some publishers see gamepass as a threat. Remember a retail copy is 60$ and the price of gamepass is much lower than that. That's what publishers have to compete with and some would probably prefer to release their games on platform without that kind of a service.

Every time Sony announce another exclusive, Sony vs xbox fanboys:

B4jmVdh.gif
Are those bananas? Haha wtf

I really don't know what Sony has been locking down, but if Avengers caused *that* much uproar and people are still talking about the magnitude of what they're really doing, it could really do damage to Xbox.

Another reverse course away from one thing to another for Microsoft incoming? I guess it depends how severe this really is.

Vaelka

Quick easy guesses:

Street Fighter 6
CastleVania
Silent Hill
Batman & Suicide Squad DLC
Call of Duty DLC
Final Fantasy

If SF6 is going to be exclusive to PS5 I am going to be so fucking mad for real.
I don't care about the console war just give me the game on PC.

REE Machine

Banned
This is all such bullshit in my opinion. I don't mind timed exclusivity for smaller games like Kena or The Medium or Fall Guys or Spelunker, but big games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, or the alleged Final Fantasy 16, or FF7 Remake? It's bullshit and it's completely pointless. Gives no real benefit to the side getting the "exclusive" game other than the petty bragging rights in console wars. I would much rather the companies use that money to make their own games rather than money hat big third party games for a short while
Its called business and they are smart to make people buy their product and games in said product. This is a cut throat move to sell hardware where MS wants to be a glorified app

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I wouldn't be surprised if some publishers see gamepass as a threat. Remember a retail copy is 60$ and the price of gamepass is much lower than that. That's what publishers have to compete with and some would probably prefer to release their games on platform without that kind of a service.
Exactly and I really don't want a future of GAAS and AA games. I do love some AA but I still need my AAA games

REE Machine

Banned
UPDATE FROM IMRAN HIMSELF

I don't like to come into threads where I am the subject because people are usually not polite and any appearance leads to 30 notifications asking "Where's the details, tho?"

But yes. Echoing what Matt said. There isn't a major third party out there Sony failed to approach asking what kind of deals they could work out. Some had content, some had games, some had content and games. It is not like Microsoft was not willing to offer, they just didn't want to pay the asking price, because Sony approached with pretty high numbers in the first place.

That "PlayStation Advantage" branding and "Console Exclusive" wording are both going to get a lot of use in the next few years.

REE Machine

Banned
If this is true I will never buy a PS5. Can't support this type of behavior but congrats Sony fans.

Microsoft will need to be willing to spend billions to buy exclusive games and entire studios to shut this behavior down. If not, they should just get out of gaming because Sony would have changed the landscape with exclusive deals like what is mentioned.

Nothing good will come from this as a gamer.
Didnt they show launch exclusives third party games last show? Seems like sony just locked down the big boys.

thelastword

Banned
Sony ending another gen before it begins......If you thought Sony was ruthless in 2013, they are about to go Randy Savage into Elizabeth on the competition for the next. Why/How?

1.) A tonne of exclusive first party titles
2.) Many new IP's
3.) Many third party exclusives
4.) Lots of third party exclusive content
5.) Better rapport with third party devs
6.) More indie devs excited for the new controller and more devs are naturally into their eco-system because of Japan and VR.

7.) The best console architect since Ken Kuraragi, MarK Cerny in delivering the hardware and the best man to lead PlayStation at this time Jim Ryan, a hard as nails and ruthless business warrior that will catapult PS4's 112+ million console success into 200 million plus for PS5..... Sony is going not just for the kill but to build the brand even more by expanding the brand like we've never seen before.....It's why they have united all their services front into one.....Music, Movies, PlayStation. There will be more synergy from one form of entertainment from one Sony service to the other, meaning more people will get exposure to PlayStation....The marketing will transcend through all forms of their business initiatives...

carlosrox

Banned
Timed exclusive shit is fuckin' gay.

(I'm half gay so I can use that word that way. Fuck it, anyone can when it fits!)

Seriously though it is such a pointless, petty practice. If the game is multiplat then let it be a fuckin' multiplat.

Just holding back a game from someone else who may want it and making them wait is weak as fuck.

Reallink

My theory is Sony received word (or was convinced) MS is going to slaughter them on hardware price, so they instead took those billions in would-be hardware losses and instead invested it in buying up exclusivity contracts. Series X will be $399, Series S $249, PS5 Disc $499, and PS5 Digital $449.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Unless you have a job and can manage to save money to be able to buy both consoles and not miss out on anything. In that case it's always a great time to be a gamer.
But that still doesn’t make this better for consumers. It still makes it worse no matter how you look at it.

Sony could pay for extra content to be made and that would be pro consumer. Sony paying to keep games and content away from some consumers is anti consumer now matter how many Sony shills want to say it isn’t.

MaulerX

Not sure why this guy gets so much attention. He hardly ever breaks or gives any news. He just parrots what other insiders have been saying. There was a thread there about Jez Corden saying this. There was a thread about Imran Khan saying this there. And then after all that and in that very thread he says this? Bullshit insider. How about you actually say or hint on the actual games worked on?

thelastword

Banned
My theory is Sony received word (or was convinced) MS is going to slaughter them on hardware price, so they instead took those billions in would-be hardware losses and instead invested it in buying up exclusivity contracts. Series X will be $399, Series S $249, PS5 Disc $499, and PS5 Digital $449.
In truth the PS5 looks like a more expensive console to produce than Series X, but Sony has been a hardware pioneer for so long, they have the deals and better hardware rapport with most of these HW manufacturers.....Being in hardware and producing so many great TV's, image sensors and the like, they are in a position to get deals others can't.........Despite the PS5 being more ambitious in terms of custom hardware, the SSD, the controller, hookup for VR, ports and features. I think they will still come to market at least Matching Series X's price at the worse....

I still think a $399 Series X is a pipe dream though........This was the same MS that released a an upclocked Jaguar with a 580 downclocked with no advanced custom features in late 2017 at $500.......

Am I missing something, was there an uproar here about Spider-Man in Avengers? I thought the general consensus was, who gives a shit, the game doesn’t look good anyway?

Timed exclusive shit is fuckin' gay.

(I'm half gay so I can use that word that way. Fuck it, anyone can when it fits!)

Seriously though it is such a pointless, petty practice. If the game is multiplat then let it be a fuckin' multiplat.

Just holding back a game from someone else who may want it and making them wait is weak as fuck.
Is half gay the same as Bi?

Paracelsus

No game is worth $100 more, not even FFVII in 1997 would have been, especially for a timed exclusive.
It would have to be something for which Sony risks getting death threats, like Elder Scrolls VI permanent lifetime exclusive, no PC ever.
GTAVI sounds out of reach, Sony would have to throw over a billion to get it, and it would still be nonsense for T2 to bother.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Too much smoke, folks. Pretty sure Sony has busted out the checkbook in a big way this time from the sounds of it all.

Game pass has nothing to do with this.

Publishers don’t have any pressure on them to put their games on game pass.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not sure why this guy gets so much attention. He hardly ever breaks or gives any news. He just parrots what other insiders have been saying. There was a thread there about Jez Corden saying this. There was a thread about Imran Khan saying this there. And then after all that and in that very thread he says this? Bullshit insider. How about you actually say or hint on the actual games worked on?
Because he’s been pro Sony since day 1. I also said before that all he does is “me too” things other actual insiders say, he has *never* actually had any inside knowledge.

He has only ever once mentioned what he actually does, and it was some community manager type job at a third party studio lol. He’s not a dev, he’s not a higher up, he’a PR. That’s why he’ll ignore anyone that asks what he actually does.

He has as much insider knowledge as you and me.

Trogdor1123

No game is worth $100 more, not even FFVII in 1997 would have been, especially for a timed exclusive.
It would have to be something for which Sony risks getting death threats, like Elder Scrolls VI permanent lifetime exclusive, no PC ever.
GTAVI sounds out of reach, Sony would have to throw over a billion to get it, and it would still be nonsense for T2 to bother.
Incorrect, Demon's Souls is. It literally made my decision

REE Machine

Banned
I don't think for a second that anything as big as GTA would be timed exclusive.

GTA is one of the games where no one wants to loose out on revenue.
There was that rumour a while ago and its odd and funny that the first they they show at a ps5 game conference was gta V for ps5, makes me seem they got a little fling going with each other. R* aint about to turn away money.

Top Bottom