• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the target specs of the next Xbox 'Project Scarlett,' 'Anaconda', and 'Lockhart' (WindowsCentral.com )

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So why are devs complaining about RAM shortage in lockhart is the GPU is really a measly 4tf? Wouldn't that be a bigger issue?

Having to split RAM budgets for your game design is a bigger issue that graphical tweaks based on GPU grunt.

RAM can impact game design when you have a target in mind for your vision of the game.

MadYarpen

So why are devs complaining about RAM shortage in lockhart is the GPU is really a measly 4tf? Wouldn't that be a bigger issue?

If I would have to guess, I'd say with a slower GPU you can downscale the graphics.

But maybe with limited RAM (or CPU) some core game mechanics / systems could be more at risk? Which would mean the game has to be different, not graphics only. That;s under the assumption GPU does not do much more than graphics of course.

I want Microsoft to do well next gen and get back to their best, because when they're the best, they're the best.

Maybe it's just me, but:

...Anaconda is targeting around 12 teraflops (TF)...It's important to note, however, that TF doesn't really tell the entire story of next-gen systems, owing to piles of custom tech Microsoft is planning to bake into these consoles.

Is a strange line. Why would you damage control that TF number when it's already higher than the rumoured Sony specs? Unless it isn't or they're running damage control because Lockhart 4tf is lower than X 6tf (on face value)

Also,

and other general bespoke, proprietary optimizations will see Anaconda perform anywhere up to four to five times better than the Xbox One X, if targets are met.

General bespoke, which one is it. Proprietary optimizations. Hmm. "if targets are met" Seems like a weird clause to put in a rumour.

Finally,

Last year I made a thread pondering if the leaked PS5 specs by Cerny, were actually the PS5 specs, or if Sony were leaking Microsoft's own specs back to them and after reading that, it makes me believe it more than ever. If I had to choose between Microsoft and Sony, I would choose Microsoft, but with what happened at the start of this gen with the E3 reveals, i wouldn't be suprised if we saw some major suprises come out of camp Sony. The price drop and the 8GB DDR5 RAM, came out of nowhere, followed by that price.

Shit will be interesting. Ah, I love new console launch cycles :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Romulus

This is going to be great for VR. PSVR devs have been locked down using a jaguar CPU for years, for games heavily reliant on high framerates. Lmao. It'll be like getting new Christmas toys for 4 years in advance for them. Of course regular console games will benefit too, but most of those are 30fps unlike the required 60fps lock for psvr.

Last edited:
4 TF is a pathetic minimum spec for entry level next-gen Xbox.

The 12 TF of the high-end Xbox won't matter, devs will never be able to fully use that because it'll just be for getting games to render the same games (built for the 4TF console) at 4K with brute force.

PS5 specs, with 10+ TF (or close to Anaconda) will be fully utilized, devs can always count on PlayStation base specs.

Microsoft is pulling another dumbfuck move that developers reportedly hate, Lockhart is a pain in the arse/bum, they said.
a pro tip for your:

search for the 10 last biggest AAA games from 2019 and then look on the "minimum requirements PC specs"

can you see how stupid your post is? ...

Can any users clarify or estimate the cost saving of putting a brand-new, but less powerful, CPU/GPU/RAM in to a console?

Doesn't the economy of scale make both machines slightly more expensive vs smashing out 1 machine that is all the same?

With this in mind, if we say the Anaconda will be $449, where would that price the Lockhart? $349? If so, what of the X?

So many questions :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The 12 TF of the high-end Xbox won't matter, devs will never be able to fully use that because it'll just be for getting games to render the same games (built for the 4TF console) at 4K with brute force.

PS5 specs, with 10+ TF (or close to Anaconda) will be fully utilized, devs can always count on PlayStation base specs.

Microsoft is pulling another dumbfuck move that developers reportedly hate, Lockhart is a pain in the arse/bum, they said.
This will never, and has never been true.
Otherwise Ps5 exclusives would look like next gen games while Xbox exclusives and multiplatform game look like last gen games.

That won't happen.
And if that were to be true, every Playstation fan should love it. Because tose would be the only true next gen games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's a lot of specs going on, you could pencil in the next Xbox as one of the most powerful consoles and its going to be interesting what developers can do with it.

onQ123

Fucking Lockhart, I thought it was dead... Why do they have to botch nextgen (again)?

Lockhart is not the enemy.

If the games are playable across Xbox One , Xbox One X & both of the Scarlett consoles why worry about Lockhart holding things back? If anything Lockhart is going to give publishers /devs more of a reason to make games that use the Scarlett features over just making Xbox One games with better resolutions & frame rates.

Reactions: Isa

Banned
again, it's pretty simple. if Anaconda targets 4k, a modern 4TF console with very similar specs other than the GPU can easily run the exact same games at 1080p and a very similar performance level and similar settings.

nothing is holding anything back.

NickFire

I have been able to convince myself as to why MS would release the rumored Lockheart, but OMG now we are talking about 1/3 the power of Anaconda? I cannot envision how this won't royally screw over Anaconda purchasers (who are expecting truly ground breaking software). There is no way I can believe those 12TF will be utilized like they would if Anaconda was the only sku.

MS needs to go on record here once and for all. Enough rumors and vague pr dancing with the same rumors resurfacing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Motherfuckers they're going to hamstring nextgen with lockhart.

Exactly! I hate it.

No idea how MS doesn't understand this.

I have been able to convince myself as to why MS would release the rumored Lockheart, but OMG now we are talking about 1/3 the power of Anaconda? I cannot envision how this won't royally screw over Anaconda purchasers (who are expecting truly ground breaking software). There is no way I can believe those 12TF will be utilized like they would if Anaconda was the only sku.

MS needs to go on record here once and for all. Enough rumors and vague pr dancing with the same rumors resurfacing.

Welcome to the "We hate Lockhart Console" club.

skneogaf

The majority of games released on each console are also on pc which looking at recent minimum specs of jedi fallen order asks for a gtx 650, whatever that is so games being able to work on the 4TF console is absolutely fine plus you can stream the 12TF version anyway!

NickFire

Welcome to the "We hate Lockhart Console" club.

Hey - that's a low blow. I'm docking you two points.

(I never wanted Lockheart - I just figured I understood MS's rationale for it from a business perspective).

PS - now it actually worries me even though I'm 98% sure it will be PS5 for me. I don't believe for one second that MS won't demand as much parity as possible for 3rd party games.)

Last edited:

FireFly

again, it's pretty simple. if Anaconda targets 4k, a modern 4TF console with very similar specs other than the GPU can easily run the exact same games at 1080p and a very similar performance level and similar settings.

nothing is holding anything back.
Exactly. This just looks like a replacement for the Xbox One X, targeting 1080p, with the same rough level of power.

People seem to be forgetting that it takes 4x the power to run a game at 4K vs. 1080p.

makaveli60

Lockhart is not the enemy.

If the games are playable across Xbox One , Xbox One X & both of the Scarlett consoles why worry about Lockhart holding things back? If anything Lockhart is going to give publishers /devs more of a reason to make games that use the Scarlett features over just making Xbox One games with better resolutions & frame rates.
That's an even bigger problem then. Get rid of those too, we are waiting for nextgen for other reasons than playing Xbox One level games at higher resolutions. I think they just mean cross-gen games that will eventually disappear but Lockhart will be here with us obstructing developers in fully utilizing Anaconda and PS5. If Lockhart is real and as shitty as it is rumored now then I hope MS will cancel it as soon after seeing what PS5 exclusives can do. And before any dense Ms fanboy wants to accuse me of being a Sony fanboy... no, I just want all games (3rd party and MS exclusives as well) to be real nextgen experiences. That's all.

pr0cs

Wouldn't 4 scarlett TFs work out about the same as an X? If so then my guess would be that lockhart is a replacement for the one family with some extra ram and cpu oomph, and scarlett is the actual new gen dogs danglies.
Hope so because I just can't see any logic in having two machines with such a disparity in power capability.
If Lockhart is true I'm hoping the x gets obsoleted and takes its place.
To be honest though I don't really see a ton of value in that either unless its price is REALLY attractive

This makes a lot of sense and is my biggest "wishlist" item for next-gen after full backwards compatibility.

I picked up Days Gone over Black Friday - that fucker took over an hour to install to my PS4 then had to download a 30GB update which took over 30 minutes to apply. By the time it was done installing / updating, I had already been playing a different game on my PC and had lost interest entirely.
Then the download will take much longer because you are streaming.

That's interesting; 16GB of RAM basically ensures a 256-bit bus, but that's coming down from the X's 384-bit bus. Granted GDDR6 provides greater bandwidth bus assuming they're still going with 14Gbps chips and 2GB all the way (the reveal vid had a mix of 1GB and 2GB chips), without pushing clocks beyond 1GHz (I'm sure they'll run the chips somewhat higher than that tbh), that's 448 GB/s bandwidth, which is...okay. Not great, but okay.

That's why I think they'll probably push with higher Gbps (probably 16Gbps) and clocked (likely 1.25GHz max) chips, which should increase the bandwidth to 648 GB/s on a 256-bit bus. Bandwidth isn't the only thing that matters tbh, but it will be a big factor for these systems.

Correct if the GPU nowadays was only doing graphical “fluff“ while it can and does a lot more. Balancing an 8 TFLOPS delta in only graphical details means that the top end console is limited in what you can accelerate gameplay wise with that extra compute power.

People REALLY don't seem to be understanding the importance of this. These systems are pushing GPGPU, General Purpose Graphics Processing Unit architectures. That means things other than just graphics.

A Lockhart with a heavily reduced GPU will hold back Scarlet/Anaconda in terms of non-graphical features and systems for next-gen games, UNLESS it's orientated solely for streaming (which it seems like it's packing enough hardware to be more than that).

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Then the download will take much longer because you are streaming.
Sure, but it can even do that in the background, after I put the console in sleep mode.

I have 300Mb internet, even if I were streaming in 4K there should be more than enough left over bandwidth to install game assets in the background while I'm playing. If that means that the download will take 20 minutes longer, or even several hours longer, I say it doesn't really matter as long as the streaming delivery is "good enough". That scenario is infinitely more preferable to me than what I experienced with Days Gone which took nearly 2 hours to install and update before I was able to play the game - if I could have been streaming the game while I was waiting, even if it meant the wait was longer, I would have been happy. If I wasn't happy with the streaming compromise (ie I wanted to have the full game installed and don't want to stream it) I'm sure I could just... not play it until it's done downloading/installing.

Last edited:

NickFire

The people not understanding that game engines are scaleable are going to be spouting uneducated garbage until they come out and blow minds.
I think most of us understand that perfectly well. But people buying a 12 TF LAUNCH system have expectations of games designed to push 12 TF. If MS insists on feature parity between 4TF and 12TF (seems rather likely), do you really believe they can just turn down graphical settings and never have to make compromises to ensure parity? I have a lot of trouble believing that, and now see Anaconda as really nothing more than Pro or X. Simply capable of better resolution of games designed for base models.

MS really needs to put these rumors to bed. If they want to hide specs fine. But tell us - no dancing - will there be two sku's as rumored?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Since, when was TF an absolute GPU power scale ? 4 TF of Navi is better than 6 TF of Xbox One X. Nothing is being hold back.

semicool

Banned
Since, when was TF an absolute GPU power scale ? 4 TF of Navi is better than 6 TF of Xbox One X. Nothing is being hold back.
TFs would matter if your comparing like for like, same architectures, RDNA2 to RDNA2, then TFs would be a strong indicator, though Ray tracing implementation differences could play a bit if that role too, in addition

onQ123

That's an even bigger problem then. Get rid of those too, we are waiting for nextgen for other reasons than playing Xbox One level games at higher resolutions. I think they just mean cross-gen games that will eventually disappear but Lockhart will be here with us obstructing developers in fully utilizing Anaconda and PS5. If Lockhart is real and as shitty as it is rumored now then I hope MS will cancel it as soon after seeing what PS5 exclusives can do. And before any dense Ms fanboy wants to accuse me of being a Sony fanboy... no, I just want all games (3rd party and MS exclusives as well) to be real nextgen experiences. That's all.

Even if they get rid of Xbox One S & Xbox One X you still have low end PCs. MS has no reason to jump out the window & try making games that can only run on a 12TF console that may or may not sale enough to recoup from the work it would take to make a game that only play on that console.

I think most of us understand that perfectly well. But people buying a 12 TF LAUNCH system have expectations of games designed to push 12 TF. If MS insists on feature parity between 4TF and 12TF (seems rather likely), do you really believe they can just turn down graphical settings and never have to make compromises to ensure parity? I have a lot of trouble believing that, and now see Anaconda as really nothing more than Pro or X. Simply capable of better resolution of games designed for base models.

MS really needs to put these rumors to bed. If they want to hide specs fine. But tell us - no dancing - will there be two sku's as rumored?
I do believe that to be the case. GPU TFLOPS have more to do with processing graphics than much else. The CPUs have more than enough power to provide the innovations in gameplay that people are looking for such as smarter AI, physics, Quantity of AI on screen at once, high poly meshes, so on and so forth.

Also consider that Xbox One X titles had 4k asset downloads that improved the look of the games at 4K.

Last edited:

quickwhips

Just so you know jez not only had superb sources, but i know of like 3 other sources that all believe this. Tom Warren is one, the others well lets just say they are even better than Tom. So yeah I think i stayed strong and never waiver on most powerful console next gen. Xbox
Are you saying xbox is going to be the most powerful console?

semicool

Banned
Even if they get rid of Xbox One S & Xbox One X you still have low end PCs. MS has no reason to jump out the window & try making games that can only run on a 12TF console that may or may not sale enough to recoup from the work it would take to make a game that only play on that console.
Very good point, matters probably more to Sony with console exclusives with what little difference it would make not having a "1080p" model and pc specs to cover

Moses85

Looking forward to a console which offers no games (for me) and also a lot of other people. Zero chance for Microsoft after Phillies VR statement.

Top Bottom