• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Nikki Trailer [PS4+5, PC, Mobile] The Open-World Costumed Hero Action Sequel Announcement You Were Waiting For...

CamHostage

Check out the Infinity Nikki announcement trailer for the fifth game in the Nikki series.
From PaperGames, this is a dress-up adventure game that reimagines Miraland in 3D and lets players explore the open-world region. Join Momo and Nikki as they embark on a new adventure collecting various pieces of clothing, solving puzzles, and uncovering secret areas in the world. Dress for the occasion and equip different outfits to gain access to abilities such as fishing, insect-catching, and floating. Get a good look at the game's characters and some of Nikki's skills in action in this first trailer.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
this is a dress-up adventure game
Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

CamHostage

Oddly enough, this is from the makers of the upcoming Chinese fantasy swordfighting action game Project: The Perceiver...

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/new-...ject-the-perceiver-coming-to-ps4-ps5.1645169/

...as well as four other popular Nikki dressup/adventure games. (These Nikki games are apparently big enough that, 10 years later, this series is where developer PaperGames got the money to expand and create these two new high-end products.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

Did I read that right? The FIFTH game in this series? Umm…what was Nikki 1-4 like? 😅

Well, I'm glad you asked!

{INSERT LONG NIKKI FRANCHISE HISTORY POST HERE}

...No, I have no freaking idea. I even looked it up a bit and still don't know how to explain or figure out this game series. I just know some girls in my circle who play them.

For what I understand of it, Nikki started as a general dressup game for girls (and creepy boys,) but it had some story and character visual novel elements to it too. As the games progressed, the adventure stuff got bigger and crazier. (Like, their trailers all seem to have no gameplay or even game engine, just pictures of war and churches and dancing and fashion shows and violence and angst??) There's also social media hooks for sharing your designs with the Nikkiverse (and I assume all that deep lore fuels the drive for engaging in fanart/fanfic.) The series started out with typical cellphone 2D paperdoll graphics, but by the fourth game Shining Nikki, developer PaperGames had built a sexy 3D engine, which has now allowed them to go anywhere with their future projects.

https://lovenikki.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Games

So, short answer to your question of "What was Nikki 1-4 like?", the answer is, not like this... or maybe just like this? Hard to say, since every time they show you a Nikki in a trailer, that may totally or may not at all be the game you can expect play.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I would've thought Switch would be the market for this game. (Besides mobile). Interesting.

Yes, I'm surprised it's not announced for Switch. This "engine" is pushing things to a new level, but Infinity Nikki is also coming to mobile (or some version of the game is, at least) and there is audience for this on Switch (even in China, which PlayStation has been making inroads into but still Switch I believe has more of the market there thanks to its partnership with Tencent.)

Nikki even uses a touchscreen in the game to play the game, which is maybe how you play the game?

Last edited:
Somehow I knew this would be a Chinese game before I even clicked on the video...

Well, I'm glad you asked!

{INSERT LONG NIKKI FRANCHISE HISTORY POST HERE}

...No, I have no freaking idea. I even looked it up a bit and still don't know how to explain or figure out this game series. I just know some girls in my circle who play them.

For what I understand of it, Nikki started as a general dressup game for girls (and creepy boys,) but it had some story and character visual novel elements to it too. As the games progressed, the adventure stuff got bigger and crazier. (Like, their trailers all seem to have no gameplay or even game engine, just pictures of war and churches and dancing and fashion shows and violence and angst??) There's also social media hooks for sharing your designs with the Nikkiverse (and I assume all that deep lore fuels the drive for engaging in fanart/fanfic.) The series started out with typical cellphone 2D paperdoll graphics, but by the fourth game Shining Nikki, developer PaperGames had built a sexy 3D engine, which has now allowed them to go anywhere with their future projects.

https://lovenikki.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Games

So, short answer to your question of "What was Nikki 1-4 like?", the answer is, not like this... or maybe just like this? Hard to say, since every time they show you a Nikki in a trailer, that may totally or may not at all be the game you can expect play.

WTF?? are those AI generated videos?! Is this some kind of scam?

I couldn't care less about this game but that Project Perceiver game better be real.

CamHostage

WTF?? are those AI generated videos?! Is this some kind of scam?

I couldn't care less about this game but that Project Perceiver game better be real.

I mean, it's not a scam, this is a real game series that has been going for 10 years that I know people who have played and enjoyed (and even own some merch of.)

But is this trailer one of those cellphone "This game looks so cool, now download it discover play a game vaguely if at all like this!" ads, I can't be sure. And then even the fans of it seem baffled by the whole of Nikki and I won't say are ashamed of it but are very aware that it's a cookiemonster that eats people up. And now this game's trailer is this platformer that never existed in the Nikkiverse (or did it??) and doesn't show almost any dress up aside from its purpose in battles (or Nikki playing her own game.) And it looks graphically impressive (gameplay so far, eh?) and this "real game" concept of an open-world platformer magic action game seems to be what the developer is trying use to expand out into the bigger world but can you really do that in the fifth game of the series? (Counterpoint: the Chinese Paladin: Sword and Fairy games are almost 3x as old but they didn't exist outside China until #6.) And also this developer has a big sword-and-sorcery fantasy action game alongside Infinity Nikki but can they really pull off two big, epic games when their business is making virtual dress up dolls?

This is some kind of something, but I don't know what yet?

I'm worried that this game could be good (or at least popular) and then I'd have to understand stuff like this to keep up with my friends...

EDMIX

I feel like when someone goes to jail for having....questionable material on their HDD and have to register....based on questionable material, the media will cite that this game was on that HDD too and they'll just say its a sign that someone is...into said questionable illegal ideas lol

Gojiira

Banned
This looks better than it has any right to be lol
Nice aesthetics, exploration/puzzle based open world, yep looks pretty decent

CamHostage

There's almost no reason to share this since it isn't gameplay and it doesn't make sense what "story" it contributes to the Nikki saga (I hear that delving into the lore of Nikki is dangerous territory as it is...) but in any case, this is a new video animation by PaperGames about the Nikki franchise and the upcoming new game Infinite Nikki.

Google Translate said:
Do you remember the sweetest dream you ever had? Let's go to the mysterious world of dreams with Niki! In the dream world, four-year-old Niki goes on a mysterious adventure alone. At the end of the adventure, Niki was able to go home and meet her beloved grandmother. This dream encouraged Niki, made her grow, and gave her the courage to move forward. The Niki series will continue to produce more content such as games and movies!

Last edited:
Top Bottom