• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inferior titles in a series that you stand up for.

Fbh

The ones that come to mind right now:

DMC Devil May Cry: I still prefer classic DMC but it doesn't mean that this game was bad. I enjoyed it at as a different take on the franchise and taken on its own it's a solid action game. I also really liked some of the cool things it did visually, specially with environments. Definitely a lot more variety to the levels and their design than the disappointment that was DMC5

Dead Space 3 / Resindt Evil 5: Put them together because I like them for the same reason. I totally get why people dislike them, both have a focus on co-op which isn't what people want from a traditionally single player franchise and, more importantly, both swapped horror for action. But if you ignore the history behind their franchise and just taken them a 2 standalone games, I do think both were really fun coop shooters. I actually miss having more games like this as it feels like a lot of them have been replaced by boring and grindy "live services".

Dark Souls 2: Do I think it's worse than 1,3 and Bloodborne? Yeah. But I still think it's a good game

Dragon Age Inquisition: Everyone hates this game but I didn't think it was that bad, it's definitely far from the best game by Bioware but IMO it's the last decent thing they made and it was MUCH better than 2. Visuals where nice, story was fun besides a disappointing ending and IMO the combat wasn't that deep but at higher difficulties and playing around with combos I don't think it was "press X to win" as some people claim. I think the biggest issue is that they should have made 2 categories for side content, something like "Quests" and "activities" because while it does have some fun quests, trying to figure out which ones were worth it and which ones turned into crappy MMO style fetch quests was a pain.

dilbag

double dragon neon- this was a really fun throwback to the beat em up genre, I am not sure why it got hated on upon release.

Cod IW. It was never given a chance but it was the best of the jetpacking games! The movement and gunplay was top notch and the campaign was phenomenal. The game was updated with new modes, content and maps regularly (of which were really great maps. I liked the moon map where you could go upside down, it was fun showing your skill sniping people upside down, made you feel badass).

For me ... Suikoden 4. I played that game without even holding down the button to sail at the right speed just to spend more time "realistically" sailing between places in it.
The art style for me was amazing. I loved that game. I hear a lot of love for the other suikodens but 4 usually gets dismissed as inferior.
Maybe I just love the nautical setting. I love Chrono Cross a ton- this is not an underloved game but I actually like it better than Chrono Trigger - which is a kind of
unpopular opinion though not that rare Ive met others who feel the same.

Sometimes for me its more like obscure versions of a game. I played breath of fire 4, a couple final fantasy games, a couple megaman games, darius gaiden and
(After playing it on DC) grandia II on PC around 20 years ago, and enjoyed those versions a ton, among other games that were on PC during the time it was not so popular to have a release on both console and PC.

If Im honest its because I could not / would not have paid for the game and it was a lot easier to pirate it on PC than it was on console with no disc cracks etc.

StormCell

By "big twist to the formula", do you mean being able to carry 2 items for more depth in strategy? Other games had bigger changes to the formula (motion controls, gliders, bikes with wheelies)

As I understood it, each character you select comes with nuances such as weight and handling, etc. and you can alternate between the two during a race.

There are other reasons why I wasn't as interested in Double-Dash back then. At that point in my life, I had just moved to a new state and had no friends to play local multiplayer with. If Double-Dash had some sort of story mode, I might have been more interested.

bronk

Banned
People despise Ace Attorney 4 or Apollo Justice but I geniunely liked the title thoroughly. I liked what they did with Phoenix, how he was portrayed as someone who's able to outsmart everyone by pulling the strings in the background. The game offers the very best and most intense 1st case in the series and the final case is actually my favourite. And I'm aware that case 3-5 exists, which of course is absolutely breathtaking.
People hate on Apollo Justice but one of the best songs in the series is in this game.

The Alien

Banned
BioShock 2 is a low-key masterpiece. But I think every game in the series is a masterpiece (well, flawed masterpieces anyway).

Far Cry 2 is a great choice. I've always respected that game for really trying to evolve the FPS medium forward, even if it did stumble trying to do so. It succeeded in many ways, regardless of some ways it blundered.
Came here to say Bioshock 2.

Love the game...I actually think it has the best gameplay in the series (Bio1 has best story).

hyperbertha

Resident evil 5 - not as good as 4 but still ages beyond most shooters till date.

Splinter Cell Double Agent - took Chaos Theory gameplay and injected it with personality and an actual story.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls II, for sure. It's pretty obviously flawed, but in a lot of ways, it's my favorite FROM game.

Lucumo

Civilization 3 - Heaps of people adore Civ IV and beyond (I loved Leonard Nemoy's narration of Civ IV, no doubt) for me Civ 3 was the ultimate refinement of the original format of the game, and it holds a higher place in my gaming pantheon than other, more modern titles. Civ 3 was the last 2D version, and man that art style really caught my imagination. It looked great in every age, even when you got to modern times and railways covered your zones... I just loved it mightily.
Not an "inferior title" though. Civilization III is absolutely great.

By "big twist to the formula", do you mean being able to carry 2 items for more depth in strategy? Other games had bigger changes to the formula (motion controls, gliders, bikes with wheelies)
Not to mention that it was great in multiplayer. Two players on one kart, the one in the front drives while the one in the back uses the items and manually smashes karts that are next to you (or does it to better get around corners). And you could switch positions whenever you wanted to. That game and Super Smash Bros. Melee were what we played the most, by far.

Gargus

Banned
I can't honestly say. If I stand up for something that means I like it and if I like it then it isn't inferior. Inferior means it's bad.

I never got that though. It's like saying a movie that's so bad it's good, if you think it's good then it isn't bad.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dark Souls II, for sure. It's pretty obviously flawed, but in a lot of ways, it's my favorite FROM game.
It's my fav too for sure even though I love all of them !

Rage 1 and Bioshock infinite both get WAY too much hate.
-Rage 1 has amazing shooting feel, graphics, atmosphere and is just unique and ambitious. The animations on characters, animations of enemies being shot... That game is supreme and one of best fps games ever. Really makes me wish we got the Doom4 they planned even though 2016 game is great.
-Bioshock Infinite excels in atmosphere and graphics. Story is very interesting and the game hype was deserved imo. Gameplay gets a lot of hate but it's just bit more streamlined bioshock 1 with more quality of life improvements. I never liked 2 and 1 is awful in 2nd half.
-Fallout 3 (if 3,nv and 4 are their own games) - People love new vegas but imo it's a clunky mess with terrible world and just good story. Fallout 3 had great atmosphere and amazing graphics at the time. It was just fun to explore and meet characters even if story was quite simple, many sidequest were great.
-And GTA IV. That game is detailed, atmospheric, great story, great physics. It got 10s for a reason and I have no idea why nobody remembers that. It was so mind blowing in 2008 on 360. I've played it for straight year just to launch it every few evenings and drive around. Maybe it's the fault of pc version? Removed music, broken depth of field, broken camera and physics over 60fps, bad performance, no anti aliasing, bugs. I always return to just 360 version. It plays just as it was intended and looks great. The game was created in mind with low res and depth of field. But graphics aside - The game is just good and flat out better than shit that is gta v.

Pidull

ITT - I learned people hate Apollo Justice. WTF?

My big one is Skyward Sword, which is almost completely forgotten in Zelda discussions.

In my opinion, Skyward Sword accomplished more than most Zelda games, and was unfortunately held back by a control choice that misses the mark just a bit too often. The issues with the controls magnified the game's other shortcomings, even if it was an excellent game.

For example, Skyward Sword has one of the most detailed hub towns in the series. Skyloft had excellent characters and quests, and much more to do than any game prior. It was almost too good, because the rest of the game felt barren by comparison.

The game also crushed it with the stamina bar, as far as I'm concerned. If you can ignore how much space the HUD takes up, the stamina bar led to a lot of new ways for the team to incorporate new obstacles to overcome. Tear collecting, for example, leaned heavily into how and when you used your dash.

I won't deny that the game lacked diversity and the thrill of exploration, it played more like a Mario game rather than a Zelda game, but I enjoyed the strengths it provided. I have a hard time considering it a true Zelda game as well, which helps me overlook its glaring flaws/tradeoffs.

Arkham Knight.

People talk shit on this game and I have no idea what the fuck their talking about. Yes, there are some disappointing aspects: the story doesnt pan out that well for a finale and is a bit messy, lack of good boss battles kinda stings especially after some real bangers in Arkham City and Origins, and there is quite a bit of filler for the Batmobile. Beyond those gripes, this is THE Batman game and is one of the best shots at a comic book game of all time. Combat is deeper than ever and the game can really challenge you with the combat encounters with the different enemy types, car chases in the Batmobile were awesome, the game looked great, Gotham was big but avoided the open world problem of being too big.

Its a fucking great game and people have been spoiled by how many great Arkham games there are.

brian0057

Banned
I can't honestly say. If I stand up for something that means I like it and if I like it then it isn't inferior. Inferior means it's bad.
Inferior doesn't necessarily mean that the game is bad. In most cases, it means that it's not as good as other titles in the series but it's still good (or has redeeming qualities that makes it worth playing) on its own right.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) may be inferior to masterpieces like Most Wanted (2005) or the Underground duology but it's still a good game worth playing.
Resident Evil 6 is a bad and inferior title but the original Revelations is a worthy entry in the series, even if it's inferior next to classics like the first four (to me, it's better than REmake 3).

Last edited:

kiphalfton

RE6 baby! I loved it. Had a very grand sense to it, like "oh shit this is going global". I mean who else would you call in those circumstances, besides those who had proven themselves time and time again.

Reactions: RSB

Pidull

Arkham Knight.

People talk shit on this game and I have no idea what the fuck their talking about. Yes, there are some disappointing aspects: the story doesnt pan out that well for a finale and is a bit messy, lack of good boss battles kinda stings especially after some real bangers in Arkham City and Origins, and there is quite a bit of filler for the Batmobile. Beyond those gripes, this is THE Batman game and is one of the best shots at a comic book game of all time. Combat is deeper than ever and the game can really challenge you with the combat encounters with the different enemy types, car chases in the Batmobile were awesome, the game looked great, Gotham was big but avoided the open world problem of being too big.

Its a fucking great game and people have been spoiled by how many great Arkham games there are.
100%

Great game, and driving thru Gotham in the Batmobile is awesome. The tank controls really well and the gunplay with it is really well designed, they only made the mistake of using it a bit too much.

I can't really blame them for too much Batmobile either, they clearly spent a lot of time on it.

Dark Souls 2: It may rub people the wrong way with the odd world design and some jarring inconsistencies, but it is Dark Souls through and through, and introduced dual wielding to the series. I had so much fun rocking full strength build with dual great clubs. And there is something really special about the Majula theme

Batman Arkham Origins: This is no joke my fave Arkham game after Asylum. It has the best story in the series (Joke Intro??), it has a great setting (snowy Christmas eve in Gotham), and has some great fights. It also doesn't have the BS ending fight that ruined Asylum. The game gets crapped on a lot and I have no idea why. I enjoyed it much more than City (WAY too many villains to have a coherent plot) and I couldn't finish that POS Knight (batmobile sucks).

Final Fantasy XIII: So I was ultra hyped for this game and followed every piece of media on it from announcement to release. Yes, it is linear and gets a little to into its own lore (L'Cie and Fal'Cie jargon dropped a lot), but my god is the game beautiful and so much fun to play. I still listen to the soundtrack nearly 10 years after beating it and I still have fond memories of the hectic battles. The paradigm shift/stagger battle system was amazing and I can't remember another time I actually worked up a sweat playing a turn based RPG. Getting 5 stars on the last boss was exhilarating and so satisfying. The game just clicked with me and I didn't care that it was a long series of corridors. I loved it. Obviously it is no VII, IV, or VIII, but I still hold XIII near and dear to my heart.

Halo 4 & Halo 5: I know this will be a controversial opinion, but I hate Combat Evolved past the 2nd or 3rd level. It is completely BS and is just copy and pasted level design that goes on forever. I love Halo 2 and 3, as they really fixed the issues I had. So going into Halo 4 and 5, I had an open mind and was stunned by what I got. Halo 4 had a surprisingly emotional story about Chief and Cortana's relationship, stunning graphics, and great gameplay. I LOVE the gun sound effects and the new enemies. Halo 5 took it up a notch with even better graphics, some stellar art direction, and a really enjoyable campaign. On top of everything I said, finishing 5 left me so hyped for Infinite. When I went online after finishing 5, I was surprised by how much hate 4 and 5 get. I feel like it took what I enjoyed about Halo and improved upon them.

Last edited:
100%

Great game, and driving thru Gotham in the Batmobile is awesome. The tank controls really well and the gunplay with it is really well designed, they only made the mistake of using it a bit too much.

I can't really blame them for too much Batmobile either, they clearly spent a lot of time on it.

Yeah, I get that you dont think of "tanks" when you think of Batman, but from a gameplay perspective, its really solid and works really well.

nkarafo

F-Zero X.

Everyone adores F-Zero GX for it's flashy graphics but i will always stand for X as the better game in pretty much everything else.

Heck, even the empty graphics fit with the fact that the tracks are high above the ground, which gives the game a sense of isolation. It's just you and 29 opponents who want to throw you out of the track. No spectactors to witness your death and who knows where you will end up... That's the deadly, hardcore F-Zero i like. GX felt a lot like a big, flashy event.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Motorstorm Apocalypse. Not sure why this one gets disliked when mentioned. It's fast, frantic, beautiful, difficult, so many adjectives could be used. Easily one of, if not the best, arcade racer of all time. Driveclub was fantastic, but I would have loved to see what Evolution Studios could have done with a new Motorstorm game on PS4 (or PS5 if they hadn't been dismantled, thanks SONY!).

Splatterhouse 2010. A fun and violent beat'em up that transitioned to 3D pretty well. It also destroyed the franchise. If this had more time in the oven and didn't have such awful performance it might have fared better. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it was pretty average but more than serviceable.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Sure, plenty of people praise it now, and even then, but this game gets a lot of undeserved hate. A lot of people bring up that it's not really a CV game. Wrong. This is classicvania and it's fullest. This is back to it's roots gothic globe trotting. This is linear level based progression, akin to the old CV games before SOTN made everyone think CV was a metroid game. People complained that it was a God of War clone when Castlevania was even doing that style of combat before the first God of War even came out. And what would one expect anyway in a 3D Castlevania game? What kind of combat should it have had? In action-adventure games (or spectacle fighters? hack and slash? how many damn terms for this genre are there), there really isn't much more or less you should do when it comes to combat. And the art direction in this game, good lord, it's something that still hasn't been topped and probably won't be for some time. I think there's around 50 different levels in the game and they're all unique and look different and are beautifully crafted. Shame about the 2nd one. Shame about Konami for that matter.

I think I just wanted to talk about Castlevania. LoS is in no way inferior to any other Castlevania title.
Oh boy Sony I beg you give us another Motorstorm please oh my god it would be so glorious. I cannot continue without it.
Apocalypse was legit insane, you looked at the screen thinking what the fuck is happening bro everything is collapsing. Well that skyscraper is gone. Let me boost through its ruins.

Vawn

Banned
Mass Effect 3 was a very good game with a very bad ending. A bad ending should not equate to an entire huge RPG being seen as a bad game.

Final Fantasy XIII feels like a spiritual successor to FFX. But, I thought it did just about everything better, from battle system, to OST, to acting. I'm not sure why XIII is despised while X is beloved.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Arkham Knight.

oh my god I totally forgot to mention Arkham Knight. It is absolutely better than City ! It looks so good, play so good and that batmobile destroys everything on it's way. Even better when You unlock tumbler

Motorstorm Apocalypse. Not sure why this one gets disliked when mentioned. It's fast, frantic, beautiful, difficult, so many adjectives could be used. Easily one of, if not the best, arcade racer of all time. Driveclub was fantastic, but I would have loved to see what Evolution Studios could have done with a new Motorstorm game on PS4 (or PS5 if they hadn't been dismantled, thanks SONY!).

Splatterhouse 2010. A fun and violent beat'em up that transitioned to 3D pretty well. It also destroyed the franchise. If this had more time in the oven and didn't have such awful performance it might have fared better. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it was pretty average but more than serviceable.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Sure, plenty of people praise it now, and even then, but this game gets a lot of undeserved hate. A lot of people bring up that it's not really a CV game. Wrong. This is classicvania and it's fullest. This is back to it's roots gothic globe trotting. This is linear level based progression, akin to the old CV games before SOTN made everyone think CV was a metroid game. People complained that it was a God of War clone when Castlevania was even doing that style of combat before the first God of War even came out. And what would one expect anyway in a 3D Castlevania game? What kind of combat should it have had? In action-adventure games (or spectacle fighters? hack and slash? how many damn terms for this genre are there), there really isn't much more or less you should do when it comes to combat. And the art direction in this game, good lord, it's something that still hasn't been topped and probably won't be for some time. I think there's around 50 different levels in the game and they're all unique and look different and are beautifully crafted. Shame about the 2nd one. Shame about Konami for that matter.

I think I just wanted to talk about Castlevania. LoS is in no way inferior to any other Castlevania title.
It doesn't matter that there were games that had similar combat involving flailing weapons prior to GOW, Rygar on PS2 was one such game.

The fact was that GOW had become the standard for epic action-adventure featuring large scale environments, enemies, QTEs and a cinematic soundtrack.

So with it being the standard, any other game that came later with similar premises and presentation would inevitably get compared and have the clone label attached.

Personally, the clone label is alright with me; after Doom in 1993, every other FPS that came out after it was a "Doom clone".

What's more important is whether the game can pull off the same things just as well or better and also add its something of its own that makes it unique.

For what it's worth, I really like the fast fall that Gabriel had and I felt the whip had better feedback when hitting enemies than the Blades of Chaos in GOW.

Environments and enemy designs were varied and beautiful too so it's a shame MercurySteam dropped the ball with LOS2, lots of potential lost IMO.

On a side note, I wasn't always appreciative of GOW when I was younger but once I learnt to look at videogames holistically, I began to see it for what it really was: a very good videogame all round.

MacReady13

I love Banjo-Tooie (and the first game), but I wasn't a fan of Nuts and Bolts. I'm of the opinion that Rare just kind of lost the magic when they were bought off by Microsoft, and Nuts and Bolts was a huge disappointment. Nothing will top the first two games for me.

They have never been a truly bad developer, even when they were bought out, but on a personal level, the developer hasn't resonated with me that much. The personal connection I have to the Banjo series (and Conker's Bad Fur Day) is what keeps me coming back to this day. They never get old.

Agree 100%. Banjo 1 and 2. Goldeneye. Perfect Dark. Diddy Kong Racing. Jet Force Gemini. My god Rare were amazing. Then they left Nintendo...:messenger_weary:

MacReady13

Rage 2. I know part 1 wasn't really loved (even though I loved it) but part 2 copped it, yet it's one of my most played games this gen!

Doom 64. Really not loved upon release, and now seen as a cult classic. Always put it right up there with the original and Doom 2. It is MY Doom 3...

Gravemind

Everyone basically shit on Assassins Creed Unity and called it a major flop, but I think it's a great game. I never encountered the game breaking bugs that everyone complained about, and still think its art style and visuals are the most impressive in the series, given the year it came out.

I think Nintendo hit a home run with Twilight Princess
My big one is Skyward Sword, which is almost completely forgotten in Zelda discussions.
It seems like each subsequent Zelda is consistently considered the new gold standard these days? Both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword got a 10, or close to it, on release, didn't they?

It's weird for me, my uni life was hugely repetitive around the time Skyward Sword came, and consequently to my mind skyward sword is pretty much brand new still~ i haven't played it... I can say that Twilight Princess was hard to get in to.. that Shadow realm girl.. having a shadow realm was really "in" at that time, and when i first encountered her and went in to that bland environment i pretty much went and tried other games...

I could say, as a further addition to the OP, that The Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda title.. maybe these days it would play like a dumbed down mobile app, but yeah.. someone on here once said everyone's favourite Zelda is the first one they played, so i guess that's why i like TWW, i just loved the boatgoing atmosphere and art direction, i think the mystery of exploring the ocean was probably of slightly different flavour to exploring in other titles~ yep, magic for me.

Last edited:
Ahhhh ok, I think it's still related to the "ugly" feeling the game aims for, but, in that sense, yes it could be more elaborate. Probably Mr K. was more focused on message rather than setting.
yeah... u know what i think i'm gonna spoil a shopping list of missed opportunities in the final act of the game...

1) Arsenal Gear interior. There coulda been engine rooms, 'war rooms', bathrooms, all kinds of rooms with all kinds of challenges. he could have put some kind of hide and seek quest of finding download nodes where he could bolster the virus which would have given the sudden effectiveness of it after olga dies a bit more sense, for me~
2) rose the ai. i know you kill a RAY with rose in it's name, and the implication is that the AI that's been impersonating your girl was in it, but I think there could have been more to that. I feel like there could have been a 'face to face' conversation between them, or something like in 2001: A Space Odyssey when Bowman pulls HAL's mind apart one chip at a time~ In fact...
3) There could have been more content to resolve the sudden reveal of the AI Colonel and Rose, like I said earlier, they sort of revealed themselves, then sat on the sidelines hurling abuse at you for the remainder of the game. It would have been nice to get more info on how they worked~
4) New York city area. I really think that it's a huge shame that all we experienced of the New York... epilogue was a cramped burning rooftop which only lasted like 5 minutes until you beat Solidus and the game ended. couldn't we at least have fought Solidus in a running battle through the corridors of the actual building?

Yeah I mean, those are some top-of-my-head ideas of ways in which I thought the ending could have been fleshed out, but yeah I named that game because I like it heaps so this isn't a "diss track", as we've established~ :)

Everyone basically shit on Assassins Creed Unity and called it a major flop, but I think it's a great game. I never encountered the game breaking bugs that everyone complained about, and still think its art style and visuals are the most impressive in the series, given the year it came out.
i just bought it on uplay :p weird it cost like $20-30 less on uplay than steam~ i'm giving it a try thanks to the two posts here that seemed to imply that it's been cleaned up~

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Mass Effect 3 was the best multiplayer of 7th gen.

An EA game
Developed by Bioware
With Loot Boxes

was the best multiplayer of the entire 7th generation.

I know people complained about "shoehorned" multiplayer at the time, But ME3 showed how good non traditional MP could be. The progression felt good an i never felt like MT was needed, and the core gamplay loop was good. On a similar topic, Batman Arkham Origins asynchronous asymmetric MP was a really interesting concept i wish we saw more of. I really miss these old odd MP modes, like the Assassins creed stealth blending MP.

Last edited:
The first game that comes to mind is Age of Empires 3. Most people dislike it, and vastly prefer AoE2. I love the third game though.

For me, AoE3 has just the right amount of micro management. The gameplay elements that sucked and were annoying in AoE2 were removed or streamlined. Inaccurate archers, resource drop off points, trade routes, naval combat. Some may call the sequel casualized or dumbed down, but to me those are QoL improvements. The civilizations in AoE3 seem much more distinct from each other. Players in general are given more freedom to set up their civ and progression as they see fit, for example through the deck system. Personally I prefer the colonial setting as well.

I hope more people try the game when the remaster comes out. It was a real disappointment to me that AoE4 ended up being basically another AoE2 remake as well. I hoped they'd do something more interesting with it.

The first game that comes to mind is Age of Empires 3. Most people dislike it, and vastly prefer AoE2. I love the third game though.

For me, AoE3 has just the right amount of micro management. The gameplay elements that sucked and were annoying in AoE2 were removed or streamlined. Inaccurate archers, resource drop off points, trade routes, naval combat. Some may call the sequel casualized or dumbed down, but to me those are QoL improvements. The civilizations in AoE3 seem much more distinct from each other. Players in general are given more freedom to set up their civ and progression as they see fit, for example through the deck system. Personally I prefer the colonial setting as well.

I hope more people try the game when the remaster comes out. It was a real disappointment to me that AoE4 ended up being basically another AoE2 remake as well. I hoped they'd do something more interesting with it.
hey bro

i'll say it plain, i detest aoe3, i'll write about that after, but i'ma read ur piece and think again.

you know what, i think your points are pretty good. i think the innacurate archer point is a bit wide of the mark (wink wink ha ha) - you could research techs that fixed that - but i can totally see where you're coming from with most of the rest. I also prefer the setting, no doubt, part of the reason I don't like aoe3 much is because i don't think it really lived up to that setting~ As for distinct civs, I can see where you're coming from there too, i guess back in '01 when aoe2 first came out i wasn't really looking for more than what i got. Especially since it came after aoe1 (obviously)

Anyway, as for why I don't love aoe3... It's a mix of things:

a) The teaser screenshots looked nothing like the final game. I've recently tried finding those old teaser screens and failed miserably, but the first hints about AoE3 showed us a lush, hugely anti-aliased, real scale world of sodden swamps and glistening snow and frogs on logs and shiat. None of that came through in the release build. I mean I know, those were teasers and it wouldn't be the first time studios talked up their games with doctored media (coughWatchDogscough) but my expectations were just sooo high after those screens that I was bound to be annoyed come release.
b) They went away from historical accuracy, especially in the campaigns. Fountain of youth? Knights Templar on the Yucatan? Ottoman Turks racing you to the ends of the Amazon? I'm sorry but... those parts of the game can get fuuuuucked... What I really loved about the first two aoe titles was that it was rooted in history. The first game had freaking historical texts explaining the historical context that they were riffing on when they planned each mission and its objectives~ Yeah, the stuff I mentioned in my spoiler were just parts of the overall tone change that I just really didn't want.
c) The maps felt smaller, and the new gameplay additions diluted what was a really simple but winning gameplay formula. I didn't think gameplay had to change at all after AOE2, really. Visuals, yeah, but gameplay? It was fine to stay the same. Train tracks, neutral settlements, i mean these things were okay but they seemed to take a lot of hints from Rise of Nations and I just didn't think it was necessary.

I mean, those are the key points that coloured my initial reaction to the game.

But after your points I'm gonna reinstal it and give it another few hours.

I will say this as a bonus: I've been seriously considering trying to somehow mod up a campaign for AoE3 that would do without all of those elements and basically just try to remake a AoE2 campaign set in the real world~ No idea how to do it, though~

EDIT: the way you talked about AOE4 made it sound like it was already out :p don't do that to me haha

Last edited:
Devil May Cry 2.

I love that game, Dante design,moves like the rainstorm (and the majority) are so fluid. Stunning animations.

I love to beat the game with Dante and Trish
occasionally.

Last edited:
People hate on Apollo Justice but one of the best songs in the series is in this game.

My girl and i have a joke.. Japanese supermarkets have songs playing all the time that sound just like that, the single finger keyboardist playing notes one after the other " doo doo doo dee doo doo", anyway we like to imagine the dude who records those keyboard solos is some chubby hikikomori with black jazz sunglasses on and a very, very subtle head bang~ always good for a laugh~

Great song though :p
I've played an hour or two of it today, I've gotta say it is gorgeous.. I would be really interested in seeing a documentary where they talk about how they were able to put together games year after year~ i mean, yeah, they didn't really because almost half of them got poor reviews (3, unity, rogue, whathaveyou) for stability issues and boring gameplay, but they did at least keep looking better and better~ there are a couple of visual bugs, flickering textures, some low res ground textures that don't jam well with the character models, but i still found myself tightening my siphincter on occasion when looking at god rays in Versailles and what not~

Too early to draw conclusions on gameplay etc~ i have to say, I've given Origins and now Unity a play recently and both of them have really caught my imagination.. the AC team have got their mojo working it seems~

I have AC3 remastered in my uplay library, but i haven't screwed up my courage to try it.. the only reason i got it was because i love the setting but ehh such bad reviews~

Last edited:
Top Bottom