• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inferior titles in a series that you stand up for.

There are a lot of game series out there, and as a rule the latest titles tend to have more about them - in a technical, featured sense at least - than opening salvos. There are exceptions to this linear progression premise - Mass Effect famously peaked at 2, and was perhaps most complicated at 1, for instance - but on the ranking ladder of any series there is bound to be a title or two which fall a rung or two belong those leading titles.

What are some games which aren't generally accepted to be the best titles in their respective series, which you nevertheless have a lot of time for, and would state a case for?

Some of mine:

MGS2 - I think everyone can respect certain things about this game, but from Raiden, to what could be considered (by me, if nobody else) a rushed ending, to a - for some - impenetrable plot, a lot of people put this game below MGS3, and even perhaps MGS and MGS4 (does 5 count?) on their rankings. I for one love this title the most, though I probably enjoyed MGS 4 and (shock horror) 5 more, I still think this title was revolutionary (in terms of gameplay and graphics) on release, and later titles owe it a lot.

Far Cry 2 - I really can't stand any of the Far Cry titles after this one. I love the feeling. It came out at around the same time that I saw a little film called Blood Diamond and to me it allowed me to step onto those sunbaked plains and sunscorched forests myself. I thought the oppressive atmosphere and pacing was pitch perfect, the maps were technically impressive and varied, the story was just a light touch and gave you plenty of time for exploration, yeah I just liked it. The forced cinematic nature of later titles just totally failed to register with me.

Civilization 3 - Heaps of people adore Civ IV and beyond (I loved Leonard Nemoy's narration of Civ IV, no doubt) for me Civ 3 was the ultimate refinement of the original format of the game, and it holds a higher place in my gaming pantheon than other, more modern titles. Civ 3 was the last 2D version, and man that art style really caught my imagination. It looked great in every age, even when you got to modern times and railways covered your zones... I just loved it mightily.

Operation Flashpoint - vs. the ARMA games, I still think OpFlash was the best of the bunch. It was bare bones and pretty indy, but at the time the graphics were pretty artful (with some decent lighting and draw distance making up for bad models and textures) and it was one of the only titles in the entire pantheon of games (including Dragon Rising) that had not one, but three, coherent and stable, scripted campaigns to enjoy. Get your hands on the demo, play the 'Assault' mission on hard, and yeah tell me it doesn't have a little je ne sais quois to it.

Empire: Total War - when I look back at my favourite games in series, I have to think about what emotions they gave me at the time of playing them... And really, besides RTW, Empire was the one that most blew my mind. It was so much bigger, smoother, prettier than Medieval 2 (I auto resolved any sieges, so to me that whole combat bug never happened), it felt more chill, it felt like i was really the head of an Empire, it had a huge number of factions and really beautiful graphics~ Yeah, I just loved this game a lot. Of course, Warhammer 2, with it's third party turbocharge, is to my mind the best of the series, but I just really have oodles of time for this title.

Last edited:
BioShock 2 is a low-key masterpiece. But I think every game in the series is a masterpiece (well, flawed masterpieces anyway).

Far Cry 2 is a great choice. I've always respected that game for really trying to evolve the FPS medium forward, even if it did stumble trying to do so. It succeeded in many ways, regardless of some ways it blundered.

Last edited:
Far Cry 2 is a great choice. I've always respected that game for really trying to evolve the FPS medium forward, even if it did stumble trying to do so. It succeeded in many ways, regardless of some ways it blundered.
how would u say it stumbled? i played it in a vacuum so i don't really know what others thought about it - interested to! for me it really was more or less just an immersive Blood Diamond sim lol

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The Witcher 1 is generally the least-liked in the series—it's a eurojank title, and it doesn't play with a familiar third-person AAA control scheme. But with its story, dialogue, music and quests, as well as its combat styles and medallion mechanics, it's my personal favorite in the series.

Look, look, hear me out. Assassin's Creed Unity honestly isn't a bad game, it just had a bad launch. STOP SCROLLING I'M SERIOUS. Unity was SUPER BUGGY at launch, I know, but post-patch, it's SERIOUSLY one of the most polished entries in the series! Way more polished than Black Flag or Syndicate, really! Plus it's got some supremely in-depth customization, really fun co-op missions, and with its interiors adding further options for free-running, some of the best map design as well. I also found its story and characters more memorable than in many other AC games.

Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy on Nintendo DS is seriously—stop laughing—seriously the best Lego game there is. It's a massively buggy mes—again, stop laughing—buggy mess, but that's part of the charm. It's a really absurd game, even moreso than the rest of the series, and its strange bugs only add to this (such as being allowed to move around in cutscenes by switching characters, even being able to kill the characters in the cutscenes). It's also the only Lego title that allows the player to access a full menu of every character in the game during freeplay.
It's also got an unlockable level called Sandbox, in which you can meet a giant ewok.

Dead Space 3 might not be the survival horror game people wanted, but as an action adventure, it's one of the best in its genre! It's got that great Dead Space combat with some new additions and extensively customizable weapons, and it's a great addition to Dead Space's storyline and lore. It's also a candidate for my favorite co-op campaign, the way it's really meant to be played, too.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified might not be an amazing game, but it's not bad! It's actually a pretty decent Mass Effect wannabe, with a real unique story. Don't be so hard on the little guy, c'mon, give him a whirl, you might enjoy yourself.

Lots of people have been talking about Prey recently, but have you heard of Prey? The original 2006 title is really killer, you oughta give it a try.

For whatever reason the first game that popped in my head was Mother 3. I understand that not coming out in the West plays a very significant part in not being mentioned as a classic as often as Earthbound, despite being beloved by fans of the series, but I think that even if it did come it wouldn't be as fondly remembered (in fact, not coming out in the West probably makes fans be more vocal about it). The game is structured funny and it came out for the GBA instead of the SNES, I think it would be seen as a lesser sequel if it came out as Earthbound 2. Which would obviously be a shame.

it's a eurojank title
perfect summation

Look, look, hear me out. Assassin's Creed Unity honestly isn't a bad game, it just had a bad launch. STOP SCROLLING I'M SERIOUS. Unity was SUPER BUGGY at launch, I know, but post-patch, it's SERIOUSLY one of the most polished entries in the series! Way more polished than Black Flag or Syndicate, really! Plus it's got some supremely in-depth customization, really fun co-op missions, and with its interiors adding further options for free-running, some of the best map design as well. I also found its story and characters more memorable than in many other AC games.
dammit not another assassin's creed game i'm gonna impulse buy because of how good the first title was .v_v, it had a really good looking overworld so the suggestion that it might be playable and high quality is pretty intriguing

Mario Sunshine. Not as great as Mario 64, but still a fantastic game!
i remember when it came out they made a huge deal out of it, didn't it get a 10 on gamespot or something?[/spoiler]

Last edited:
Mario Sunshine. Not as great as Mario 64, but still a fantastic game!

No joke, it was the hotel level that made me want to play the game. I always liked how Sunshine felt like a coherent adventure, more than any other game in the series. The setting itself is my favorite part of the game, too. I remember the setting the most relative to everything else in the game.

Tahj

Big fan of Bioshock 2 & esp The Witcher!

Mine would be Final Fantasy XIII/2/Lightning Returns. For sure there are faults with these games that rival the Mariana Trench in depth, but, I've always enjoyed the combat, still think the graphics are damn good for as old as they are now, music is great, & sometimes I can even appreciate the overdone voice-acting & convoluted stories (which, tbh, I'm still not entirely clear on unless I've just finished playing XD

mcz117chief

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

I had fun with it. By far the worst Ninja Gaiden but fun in it's own special way.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon

Different play-style and theme but once you realise that and stop shoehorning your old habits on it, it becomes an amazing experience.

Dawn of War 3

A great mix of 1 and 2. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you "get it" it is a fantastic game. The campaign is pretty meh though.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Dark Souls 2 is a great game. I agree it is not as good as 1 and 3, specially encounter and level design, but people who think it is a bad game are nuts. Lots of enemies, weapons, magics, locations, etc. Other series wish they had a high point as high as DS2.

How can a game which have Fume Knight be bad? Impossible, dudes.

Last edited:
Dawn of War 3

A great mix of 1 and 2. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you "get it" it is a fantastic game. The campaign is pretty meh though.

I don't know if I'll ever go ahead and buy it, but I'm intrigued by how schizophrenic community opinion is on this game.. it looks pretty hawt...

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
188838.jpg

Deus Ex: Invisible War was not only my first Deus Ex game, but it was also one of the games which would cement me as an Xbox fan forever.

People see this as the most watered down entry in the series, and in many ways it is, but that doesnt mean that there's not a stealthy, biomod, character choice driven cyberpunk time to be had here.

In 2003, I was 12 years old, and just the very idea of there being a grey area between who the real bad guys were in a video game fucked my head up. Having a grown ass man ask me to be his "chamber boy" fucked me up even harder and I giggled with glee as I hid dead body after dead body in a dumpster from the security boots only to crawl through my umpteenth air vent.

Deus-Ex-Invisible-War-large-14.jpg

Coming primarily from the world of Nintendo platformers (I bought an Xbox for Blinx mind you), Deus Ex may have been the first time a game's plot actually got all philosophical on me. This was before I snagged Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic on the same console and continued to develop my galaxy brain.

This game's review scored are all 8s and 9s, but people pretend its trash now because it's not the original or Human Revolution. Shame on them.

537966-561456_20031121_001.jpg

188838.jpg

Deus Ex: Invisible War was not only my first Deus Ex game, but it was also one of the games which would cement me as an Xbox fan forever.

People see this as the most watered down entry in the series, and in many ways it is, but that doesnt mean that there's not a stealthy, biomod, character choice driven cyberpunk time to be had here.

In 2003, I was 12 years old, and just the very idea of there being a grey area between who the real bad guys were in a video game fucked my head up. Having a grown ass man ask me to be his "chamber boy" fucked me up even harder and I giggled with glee as I hid dead body after dead body in a dumpster from the security boots only to crawl through my umpteenth air vent.

Deus-Ex-Invisible-War-large-14.jpg

Coming primarily from the world of Nintendo platformers (I bought an Xbox for Blinx mind you), Deus Ex may have been the first time a game's plot actually got all philosophical on me. This was before I snagged Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic on the same console and continued to develop my galaxy brain.

This game's review scored are all 8s and 9s, but people pretend its trash now because it's not the original or Human Revolution. Shame on them.

537966-561456_20031121_001.jpg
100 gold 🌟 s for you! I loved this game! In total agreement with you, though HR is by far my favourite this is probably number 2.. i love how the graphics and level design got better as you got further into the game :p and yeah, it was super fun!

mcz117chief

I don't know if I'll ever go ahead and buy it, but I'm intrigued by how schizophrenic community opinion is on this game.. it looks pretty hawt...
It took me a while but the flow of the game is excellent. It is an exceptionally polished game too and has great pathfinding for units and fun and challenging ai. The best thing though, is that Space Marines can use drop pods and are a core mechanic of their faction, unlike in DoW1 where it is just a glorified teleport when you hit tier 3 or in DoW2 where it is practically non-existent.

OP, what's your opinion on Nuts and Bolts?

I'm a huge fan of the Banjo-Kazooie series....on Nintendo.
Actually i only ever played the original Banjo-Kazooie on N64, it was the first 3D adventure game i ever played hence my profile picture :p i wouldn't really know about later titles because I've been a PC gamer more or less ever since!

Actually i only ever played the original Banjo-Kazooie on N64, it was the first 3D adventure game i ever played hence my profile picture :p i wouldn't really know about later titles because I've been a PC gamer more or less ever since!

I love Banjo-Tooie (and the first game), but I wasn't a fan of Nuts and Bolts. I'm of the opinion that Rare just kind of lost the magic when they were bought off by Microsoft, and Nuts and Bolts was a huge disappointment. Nothing will top the first two games for me.

They have never been a truly bad developer, even when they were bought out, but on a personal level, the developer hasn't resonated with me that much. The personal connection I have to the Banjo series (and Conker's Bad Fur Day) is what keeps me coming back to this day. They never get old.

Last edited:
They have never been a truly bad developer, even when they were bought out, but on a personal level, the developer hasn't resonated with me that much. The personal connection I have to the Banjo series (and Conker's Bad Fur Day) is what keeps me coming back to this day. They never get old.
I see where you're coming from. Rare really kind of dissolved away, after their great N64 titles~ goldeneye and perfect dark~ i did enjoy conker live and reloaded on the xbox though,i liked the graphics and multiplayer, i believe, a lot.

mcz117chief

Oh yeah, I also forgot to say something about Operation Flashpoint you mentioned in the OP. I bought the game on release and I have been playing it ever since. Quite recently I replayed both Cold War Crisis and Resistance twice and as someone who is part of an Arma 3 outfit I can say with a clear conscious that Flashpoint is by far the most polished and fun Arma game. If it weren't for the incredible modding community and outfits of Arma 3 I wouldn't play it. Playing as James Gastovski in Cold War Crisis is some of the most fun you can ever have, being almost invisible and having the ability to drive any vehicle in a sandbox setting is just insanely fun. For example, when you have a mission to sneak in to the enemy base and steal high-value documents I instead steal a gunship, proceed to rack up almost a 100 kills including tanks and other helicopters and once the smoke settles I just waltz it and take the documents and fly back home :D So much fun with this game. Or finding ways to trigger events early by killing certain characters and such is so much fun, just experimenting with the trigger system and seeing what you can do. Another thing I love about the game is how you can abuse the view distance setting. If you set it as low as possible then enemies are practically blind but if you go to like 2,5km (going higher makes the game lag like crazy) you can trigger enemies hiding on the other side of the map early :D There is sooooo much more I could talk about this game, all the little quirks and fun ways to complete missions, abuse triggers and the ai I could be here all day.

The original Fallout is often regarded as being inferior to Fallout 2, and that is wrong, because they both offer very different experiences at which they excel at; Outside a few technical adjustments to provide some quality of life features, Fallout 2 is not even close to being a definite improvement.

Fallout 2 provides a lot more content, being far more varied and large. It's extraordinarily replayable as a result, because it's impossible to experience all of it in one, or two, or maybe even three playthroughs. Unfortunately because it's far larger in scope it also feels far more fragmented in its theme, story, and atmosphere with questionable writing that often feels stripped out of a parody.

The original Fallout is less replayable with far less content. But it's extraordinarily tight in its narrative and cohesive in its theme. It's a concise package of exceptionally well written content and a near flawless role playing experience.

They're both fantastic, and they're both significantly different experiences worth playing.

Kusarigama

I can think of 3 games right now:

1. GoW: Ascension
I had so much fun with this(more than GoW3) and it looks so so good.

2. DmC Devil May Cry
I've played dmc3, 4 and this and between these 3, this is my favorite. I don't know why exactly but i liked this one better.

3. Batman: Arkham Origins
The name is strange but it was a very good game. I honestly don't get why it gets so much hate that it gets. It's better than Arkham Knight (man did those batmobile battle sections ruin the fun)

P.S. I've played All GoW games and All Batman Arkham games except blackprison.

P.P.S. GoW Ascension should have gotten a remaster on PS4 and Arkham Origins should have been a part of Batman Arkham Collection remastered

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People despise Ace Attorney 4 or Apollo Justice but I geniunely liked the title thoroughly. I liked what they did with Phoenix, how he was portrayed as someone who's able to outsmart everyone by pulling the strings in the background. The game offers the very best and most intense 1st case in the series and the final case is actually my favourite. And I'm aware that case 3-5 exists, which of course is absolutely breathtaking.
I recently finished that game and I also really liked it, I like the some new mechanics they introduced and I absolutely LOVED the animation for the characters.

teezzy

Banned
I see where you're coming from. Rare really kind of dissolved away, after their great N64 titles~ goldeneye and perfect dark~ i did enjoy conker live and reloaded on the xbox though,i liked the graphics and multiplayer, i believe, a lot.

Everwild is about to be a game changer. Feel free to quote me on that.

I'd also be stunned if Banjo, Conker, and Perfect Dark don't all three make proper returns on Series X at some point down the line.

Shaqazooloo

Mario Party 9: The car mechanic is trash, but the minigames are ace, the bonus content is surprisingly good and the maps arent bad. I dont think it deserves the hate that it gets. Yeah it's worse then quite a few Mario Party's because of th board play alone but I still think it's a good entry.

Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge
I love those finishers they added, and the crunch to them. Much better camera than 1 and 2 which isn't saying much. Get to play as Ayane, Kasumi, and Momoji. More costumes. Combat doesn't seem as chaotic as 2. In a good way. It makes a better attempt to tell a story and let you get to know Ryu as a person and not just a quiet ninja. Yall sleepin😴

Fuz

Banned
Edit: I should not post just after waking up, I completely misunderstood the topic.

The Witcher 1 is generally the least-liked in the series—it's a eurojank title, and it doesn't play with a familiar third-person AAA control scheme. But with its story, dialogue, music and quests, as well as its combat styles and medallion mechanics, it's my personal favorite in the series.
geralt-thumbs-up-1093415-1280x0-1151256.jpeg

Also, the cards.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Dark Souls 2 is a great game. I agree it is not as good as 1 and 3, specially encounter and level design, but people who think it is a bad game are nuts. Lots of enemies, weapons, magics, locations, etc. Other series wish they had a high point as high as DS2.

How can a game which have Fume Knight be bad? Impossible, dudes.
It's a really good game, but it's a really bad Dark Souls.

w92kp

Neo Member
Every Ace Combat fan seems to hate Assault Horizon, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Yes, dogfight mode is literally a railroaded experience at several points in single player, but in multiplayer the mechanic really shines. After this, going back to turning endlessly in circles and launching fire and forget projectiles just felt so dull. I really hope the developers can muster up some courage to experiment more with arcadey flight combat for future games. After Ace Combat 7, I don't think I can stomach playing another game that follows the same, tired 25 year old formula that was never that great to begin with.

Another one is Dark Souls 2. Something that's never mentioned when people talk about this game is the attack canceling mechanic. This is the only Dark Souls game where you can roll/backstep early in an attack animation to cancel it. This mechanic alone made even slow, heavy weapons usable by themselves because you could throw off your opponent's timing without needing to switch to other weapons to mix up your attack timing. I had a lot of fun just two handing a lance and using nothing else in PvP. Without this mechanic, the lance was rendered completely and utterly worthless in the next game. It's also the only Dark Souls game that gives you i-frames on backsteps, which led to some really sick looking backstep backstabs.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to say something about Operation Flashpoint you mentioned in the OP. I bought the game on release and I have been playing it ever since. Quite recently I replayed both Cold War Crisis and Resistance twice and as someone who is part of an Arma 3 outfit I can say with a clear conscious that Flashpoint is by far the most polished and fun Arma game. If it weren't for the incredible modding community and outfits of Arma 3 I wouldn't play it. Playing as James Gastovski in Cold War Crisis is some of the most fun you can ever have, being almost invisible and having the ability to drive any vehicle in a sandbox setting is just insanely fun. For example, when you have a mission to sneak in to the enemy base and steal high-value documents I instead steal a gunship, proceed to rack up almost a 100 kills including tanks and other helicopters and once the smoke settles I just waltz it and take the documents and fly back home :D So much fun with this game. Or finding ways to trigger events early by killing certain characters and such is so much fun, just experimenting with the trigger system and seeing what you can do. Another thing I love about the game is how you can abuse the view distance setting. If you set it as low as possible then enemies are practically blind but if you go to like 2,5km (going higher makes the game lag like crazy) you can trigger enemies hiding on the other side of the map early :D There is sooooo much more I could talk about this game, all the little quirks and fun ways to complete missions, abuse triggers and the ai I could be here all day.
Heeelllllll yes! Hear, hear! "Gastowski you meathead!" Love it! Red Hammer was also good and Resistance was so great, almost a whole other game! Yes, in total agreement with all you said!

mcz117chief

Every Ace Combat fan seems to hate Assault Horizon, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Yes, dogfight mode is literally a railroaded experience at several points in single player, but in multiplayer the mechanic really shines. After this, going back to turning endlessly in circles and launching fire and forget projectiles just felt so dull. I really hope the developers can muster up some courage to experiment more with arcadey flight combat for future games. After Ace Combat 7, I don't think I can stomach playing another game that follows the same, tired 25 year old formula that was never that great to begin with.
Right on, brother. I love Assault Horizon too and I played almost all the Ace Combat games (7 is pretty meh, honestly one of the worst).

It's a really good game, but it's a really bad Dark Souls.

No, it is the best Dark Souls game because of its themes and absolutely bizarre world that doesn't make any sense at all, making it truly feel like purgatory or limbo. Not even Daemon's Souls has such a fantastic atmosphere to it. Emerald Herald and the people in Majula in contrast to everything else is just astonishing. It is my favorite Souls game now and the more I play it the more I love it.

Heeelllllll yes! Hear, hear! "Gastowski you meathead!" Love it! Red Hammer was also good and Resistance was so great, almost a whole other game! Yes, in total agreement with all you said!

I never played Red Hammer. It isn't part of the steam release and I was still in elementary school when it released so I couldn't buy it. I honestly don't even know how I managed to get Op Flashpoint, it must have been my dad or someone who got it for me since I had no allowance. I know I borrowed a friend's copy of Resistance but now I can play it on Steam in their update version called Arma: Cold War Assault.

Last edited:
I never played Red Hammer. It isn't part of the steam release and I was still in elementary school when it released so I couldn't buy it. I honestly don't even know how I managed to get Op Flashpoint, it must have been my dad or someone who got it for me since I had no allowance. I know I borrowed a friend's copy of Resistance but now I can play it on Steam in their update version called Arma: Cold War Assault.

It's a soviet campaign, adds a few single mission maps, i can't quite remember what it was about but i think you're basically part of a soviet push to retake the island that turns into a retreat as the NATO forces and resistance start to kick your ass. Again, i don't remember much, but i clearly remember a single mission map that may actually have been called "Battlefield 2" (you may remember the "battlefield" mission in the CWC release came with a warning that it was intended for more powerful machines lol) and it being pretty fun

mcz117chief

It's a soviet campaign, adds a few single mission maps, i can't quite remember what it was about but i think you're basically part of a soviet push to retake the island that turns into a retreat as the NATO forces and resistance start to kick your ass. Again, i don't remember much, but i clearly remember a single mission map that may actually have been called "Battlefield 2" (you may remember the "battlefield" mission in the CWC release came with a warning that it was intended for more powerful machines lol) and it being pretty fun
Yeah I know all the details about the campaign, you actually turn and fight against the Soviets in the end. It is just I never played it myself.

Stuart360

There are quite a few for me, but the one that really stands out is Dragon Age 2. Its my fave, and has some damn good writing and characters. I know there isnt the variety in environments compared to 1 and 3 but its still my fave. Basically Mass Effect in fantasy land.

EDIT. Oh and Dark Souls 2 of course. My fave souls with the longest campaign, most vareity in areas and enemies, and the most bosses. But 'fans' dont like it because Miyazaki didnt direct it.

Last edited:
Suikoden Tierkreis and Suikoden IV. IV is my favourite game in the series after I and II. I loved the storyline of having a rune forced upon you and being exiled from your home. Tierkreis is a beautiful game too - the graphics and soundtrack are superb.

ShinNL

Devil May Cry, the first game. I know there's crazy love for Devil May Cry 3, but that game actually does not have the same nuance that DMC1 has. DMC1 is slightly slower and has a darker atmosphere, while DMC3 is more combo heavy and arcadey. On higher difficulties, DMC1 is more of a Dark Souls game, whereas DMC3 is a lot more cheesy and RNG.

Last edited:
Devil May Cry, the first game. I know there's crazy love for Devil May Cry 3, but that game actually does not have the same nuance that DMC1 has. DMC1 is slightly slower and has a darker atmosphere, while DMC3 is more combo heavy and arcadey. On higher difficulties, DMC1 is more of a Dark Souls game, whereas DMC3 is a lot more cheesy and RNG.
what is the gameplay in those titles? I've had one (probably 2?) on steam for years but never installed it, I'll check out YouTube if you don't feel like it but if you can give me the low down I'd enjoy it~

Top Bottom