• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous

original.original.jpg

So I finally played through the first Infamous after getting a second hand ps3 for $40. Now I could've played it on Playstation Now, but that app is pure trash for PC so I figured, might as well get a cheap ps3 and play through some other stuff too (Killzone 2 is next on the menu).

Now, I gotta say that even after 11 years it's still a fairly enjoyable experience and I tried looking at this game through 2009 era glasses. I remember back then there was huge buzz over which game is better, Infamous or Prototype since they kinda released around the same time but the main difference was that Prototype was a multi platform game while Infamous was exclusive to Playstation (hence why I never played it until now).

I definitely understand the comparison now since both games share a bunch of similarities (edgy protagonist, similar looking cities, although Prototype was set in NYC, and similar character progression).
Graphics wise it's...ok I guess, I don't mind the low resolution since obviously back in the day people didn't seem to mind and I certainly didn't go into this playthrough expecting 1080p, but god damn the performance is all over the place. I really wanna know why the developers at Sucker Punch had the bright idea to ship their game (which barely can hold a steady framerate) with an unlocked framerate? One moment you're chugging through a fight or while traversing the city, the next you're next to the harbor and the framerate jumps to freaking 60fps, it made the whole experience feel a lot worse than it could've been if they had just locked the framerate to 30fps. It hasn't aged well, character models are low poly, character animations (especially NPC's) are laughable, but the electricity effects still look cool though so I liked that.

maxresdefault.jpg

PowerUps_H264-AVS

infamous-screenshot_1280.0.0.jpg

On to the gameplay....Here's a little guilty pleasure, I fucking enjoy the "ubisoft tower" style map where you can go around repeating the same shit over and over again and you unlock cool shit for your character. I know, it's bizarre, but for some reason I end up in a zen like state just going from one point of the map to the other clearing the area and regaining control, but I only enjoy doing that if the gameplay itself is fun, and thankfully Infamous has a fun enough gameplay loop, not the best mind you, but fun enough. I enjoyed using the electricity grenade, especially after you unlock enough power nods paired with the "refill power on successful hits" I was spamming it all over the place.
But, the thing that I hated the most, that I absolutely despised, are the rooftops and streets full of enemies with their knock of Ak 47's, that was maybe the most annoying thing about this whole game and one of the main reasons why I would rush to clear out the map as fast as possible. I get it, the city is in a messed up state, but please let me take two steps without getting shot at for christ sake. The npc's are hilarious, either getting in front of your shots, or just straight up laying on the street in need of healing. And please, did anyone ever figure out what it means when they stop you in the middle of the street saying that there's a mugging taking place and point into an empty street? Like, wtf are you pointing at, even when I clear the enemies nearby thinking "that's what they were pointing at", nope they just keep repeating the same line and pointing into nothingness.

The climbing mechanic is not the greatest, more than once did I miss a ledge because Cole just randomly decided to stop working and just drop to the ground, or worse just fall into water and die. It was at its worst at the junkyard section where it took me 20 tries for Cole to grab one specific ledge, I almost dropped the game entirely there.

Other than that the missions and story were pretty standard for that time, nothing mindblowing. I liked the comic book cutscenes, because of the already mentioned bad looking characters in game cutscenes would've been a bad choice, I mean even those that are already there look pretty rough, I'm sure they were rough looking even back in 2009.

With all that said, I think it also has the perfect length for this type of game and I'm already excited to play Infamous 2. I only played the first hour, and it's crazy how much it feels like a big improvement compared to the first one, it almost feels like a console generation apart, looks better and performs better lol

Anyway, a solid 7.5/10 for today, would've been an easy 9/10 if I played it at launch.

I really want that backpack.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was my first platinum. Infamous 2 is about as good as the first one, so if you get a chance to play it, go for it. The other two games were big disappointments to me, only improving in the graphics department, imo.
I already started Infamous 2, but I'm not gonna play through it until later since I want to give myself a small buffer, it is a huge jump in quality from what I saw in the little time I spent with it. I'll probably play Second Son too when I get a ps5 next year since I never played through it while I had a ps4 lol...You said other two, are you counting First Light as a whole title or is there another Infamous game I haven't heard of?

BigBooper

I already started Infamous 2, but I'm not gonna play through it until later since I want to give myself a small buffer, it is a huge jump in quality from what I saw in the little time I spent with it. I'll probably play Second Son too when I get a ps5 next year since I never played through it while I had a ps4 lol...You said other two, are you counting First Light as a whole title or is there another Infamous game I haven't heard of?
Yes, First Light. It's a rehash of Second Son's world and about half as long.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I honestly liked InFAMOUS 1&2 better than Second Son. The enemy variety sucked in Second Son, especially compare to the 2nd game and Second Son has more powers but none of them feels well developed, it feels like you are just switching between different colors.

Last edited:
I honestly liked InFAMOUS 1&2 better than Second Son. The enemy variety sucked in Second Son, especially compare to the 2nd game and Second Son has more powers but none of them feels well developed, it feels like you are just switching between different colors.
Can't judge Second Son yet but I'll let you know in like 2 years :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm surprised to hear about the variable framerate, I always thought the game felt so smooth to play and it was the demo that sold me because of this reason. In the PS3 era we were getting a lot of games that looked better in motion than they did in screenshot but inFamous to me played so much better than video would lead you on to believe. I think that's what took it over the top that, despite looking and seeming generic, all of the game activities just felt so good.

I didn't play 2 but I was really let down by Second Son. The game looked so amazing with everything you did but for whatever reason it never sank its teeth in me. This was the first time I felt apathetic toward turning on my PlayStation and it had to do with a lot of games at that time, maybe it was just a casualty of getting older. But I definitely remember the first far more fondly.

I'm surprised to hear about the variable framerate, I always thought the game felt so smooth to play and it was the demo that sold me because of this reason. In the PS3 era we were getting a lot of games that looked better in motion than they did in screenshot but inFamous to me played so much better than video would lead you on to believe. I think that's what took it over the top that, despite looking and seeming generic, all of the game activities just felt so good.

I didn't play 2 but I was really let down by Second Son. The game looked so amazing with everything you did but for whatever reason it never sank its teeth in me. This was the first time I felt apathetic toward turning on my PlayStation and it had to do with a lot of games at that time, maybe it was just a casualty of getting older. But I definitely remember the first far more fondly.
Yeah, I don't know, to me the fact that it was unlocked made it worse, damn now I'm debating if I should even bother with Second Son :/

Paasei

Loved the series, including Second Son. The major downside from Second Son to me, were that I didn't find the powers you got very interesting. Also the evil didn't seem to have gotten the same amount of love than the hero/good side.
Hope to see a new one someday on PS5.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I've always liked the series. I liked how powerful and bad ass you were in 2 more than 1 and the Vampire/Halloween dlc was fun. Second Son was pretty great for it's time too, even if I didn't like it as much as 2.

I remember when Infamous 1 came out it was right around the time Prototype did too and I remember really liking Prototype more than Infamous. But both were great games.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I adored this game so much. The sequel and Festival of Blood are great too. However, u didn't particularly enjoy Second Son all that much. I mean it was ok.

I'd love to revisit Infamous at 60fps.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great LTTP. The second one fixes some of the technical flaws from the first. The exceptional talent at Sucker Punch knows how to make a platforming game and that really shines through. It's still one of the better-handling open world games, IMO, for this reason.

GymWolf

It's my favourite new saga from old gen, i would kill for a 4k60 remaster of the first 2 games.

They are not perfect games bu any means, the climbing is pretty bad and the melee very basic, but fuck me they are fun and i love the progression and powers.

Also cole was lowkey pretty cool and the finale of infamous 1 is some of the best we had last gen.

First one is still my favourite by a long margin except maybe the gameplay that was refined in the sequels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom