• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous is such a cool IP and I would hate to see Sony leave it dormant for a decade

I played all three mainline Infamous games and I honestly really like the direction Sucker Punch was taking with the series. It started with Cole discovering he has the ability to control and summon electricity and lightning in the first game. The second game introduced characters that could manipulate different elements, taking notes from Avatar: The Last Airbender, and expanded on Cole's powers even more. Infamous Second Son was the only entry in the series wherein the player than control multiple elements and established a more robust and complex elemental system. The only shortcoming in Second Son is that the story wasn't that interesting. Regardless, the gameplay became a lot more engaging by giving the player more tools to roam around the environment and kill people.

Now the last Infamous game released six years ago and there's no word on when we'll get a new one. At this rate, a reboot of the series would be most desirable and would introduce new players to the interesting world of Infamous. Either that or Sony could develop a television series tie-in with the new game, as they are planning to have several TV adaptations of PlayStation IP, whenever it comes out. Regardless, there's so much potential on the narrative. They should focus more on where the powers originated from because that was always a clandestine part of the universe. I also would like to see a more destructible environment, especially with the PS5 now being more capable than the PS4. I also want to see the karma system overhauled. Having a binary good or evil system was novel but a D&D style morality system would be much more interesting in that world. Really double down on the RPG elements of the gameplay. Make players feel like they're really in control of what they're doing. I don't know, but there's a lot of ways to make the games more exciting to play and I think Sucker Punch just scratched the surface. I hope Sony doesn't abandon the IP.

Cornbread78

Legand of Dragoon, White Knight Chronicles, Alundra, Resistance, Killzone, Socom, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Motorstorm, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, etc, etc, etc...... Sony loves to sit on IPs....

But it had already three chapters. Isn't more refreshing when developers are free to move in some new ip, when they wish for it?

Of course, if developers themselves would wish to create a new chapter, then I would be glad too.
Sucker Punch should definitely do their own thing. They have a great new IP with Ghost of Tsushima to build upon. I think another talented team should work on a reboot of Infamous if the gap is going to be close to a decade.

jaysius

Banned
I'm still convinced the main gimmick of the dude can't drive cars is because Sucker Punch didn't understand how to program that part into the game.

It took them ages to get to Ghost with a horse in it.

I'm good with Infamous dying in a fire.

OnionSnake

Banned
I've been hoping we get a Bluepoint glowup for inFamous 1 and 2 in a combo pack, hopefully uniting the VA for both games. Still super disappointed we never got the glass/wire DLC for Second Son.
25c3fcdb228cf8cc656f2550d881348a.jpg

Last edited:
I just watched a video of the original, and I definitely do miss the series a little bit. The reasoning for people getting/having powers was uniquely interesting and the story's basis was particularly video-gamey in that it was able to open the world fairly organically from a gameplay standpoint. I feel like Second Son left inFamous with some interesting unexplored territory and I was a bit bummed when I learned Sucker Punch was going to be leaving inFamous behind. I'd love to see old Sony IPs like inFamous revived as a solid stable of AA games, or at the very least a remaster that brings it to the PS4/5 for native play.

Last edited:
I love inFAMOUS, happily plat'd Second Son and First Light. I kinda feel like those games tied a nice bow on the series though. I am not saying never go back to it, but I don't think it has to be SP's next game.

Nezzeroth

Developers spend years making a single game. You can't really blame them for wanting to move on and work on new stuff.

Sony could find a external studio and have it developed externally though. My guess is that they feel it's a bit redundant now that they have Spider-Man.

Amiga

I would love it if the improved Sucker Punch have another go at it. take the concept and rebuild the franchise.

Pejo

Doesn't the Miles Morales Spiderman use electric powers? There's your Infamous for this gen I guess.

I agree it's a huge bummer. Second Son was ok, but I still prefer Infamous 2.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I still don't really understand why we didn't get Infamous & Resistance collections on PS4 like they did for Uncharted, I mean yes Uncharted got a sequel on PS4 but they also brought over the Jak games which didn't

heck they didn't even port a Ratchet & Clank collection over despite having that 'new' R&C game

bender

What time is it?
Not a huge fan of the series. Beyond not caring for the main character designs, I always hated the magnetism of the platforming. It felt so constricted when compared to the movement in Crackdown.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Legand of Dragoon, White Knight Chronicles, Alundra, Resistance, Killzone, Socom, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Motorstorm, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, etc, etc, etc...... Sony loves to sit on IPs....

The fact that I read this list and started rattling off additional names kinda upsets me a little.

Ape Escape, Wipeout, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and others. I get some of those are because studios are "done" with a lot of these but it would be great for those to get farmed out.

Vick

Gold Member
I still don't really understand why we didn't get Infamous & Resistance collections on PS4 like they did for Uncharted, I mean yes Uncharted got a sequel on PS4 but they also brought over the Jak games which didn't

heck they didn't even port a Ratchet & Clank collection over despite having that 'new' R&C game
Because Sony fucking sucks balls on this stuff.

The games you listed are just a tiny portion, they couldn't be any worse on this matter.

kyliethicc

Its up to Sucker Punch. They didn't want to keep making Infamous games. And Ghost of Tsushima is a huge success so I bet its sequel is in development now.

Maybe Sony could pay a porthouse to remaster Infamous 1+2 but otherwise don't expect any Infamous games for a long time.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My favorite franchise in the last decade. It will probably die now that Tsushima was a hit :(

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
I haven't played Tsushima yet, but I loved the first two Infamous games. Karma systems have evolved a bit since then, so I wouldn't mind if they took another pass at what good/evil choices could do, but I'd love to see them revisit this. There was such a following that I'd hate to see the series wither away.

devilNprada

My favorite franchise in the last decade. It will probably die now that Tsushima was a hit :(

I loved GOT but I just don't see enjoying a sequel as much..
Not a lot of story to build on.
He can develope into a full on Ninja and after that it will just be a Ninja game, but he has the whole Samurai honor conflict thing out the way already.

Good. I'll take new IPs over most of those. White Knight Chronicles? Arc the Lad?Lady? Come on, now.

Paulxo87

second son was decent. first light was better IMO.

They need to/have already moved on from the whole thing though.

GrayFoxPL

Infamous 1 was awesome. Solid, coherent gameplay from start to finish.. No bullshit. Thought you might think you're colorblind while playing. 500 Shades of grey.

Infamous 2 wanted to be more hip or whatever the trend was at the time. Bit messy with more linear gameplay and kinda weak final act. Pretty decent game, but nowhere near as good as original. It has colors though.

Infamous something son - I couldn't even play the game because you need to use motion controls to even start the game... Fuck this gimmicky shit hard.

Rival

Gold Member
I’d literally do anything for a new one of almost any of these IP’s. Especially a new Legend of Dragoon. On topic Sony should 100% do something else with Infamous. I think that series is incredibly underrated.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Infamous was such a mediocre experience that I haven't sought out GOT because of it. GOT looks amazing the more I see but man, Infamous to me was the definition of mediocre. Couldn't be bothered with the 2nd or 3rd one. The only long term franchise attached to Sony that I really enjoy and look forward to is Ratchet & Clank, even though the Remake is one of the weakest entries in the series.

I'm glad Killzone is dead for the time being. I wish they would do the same with GOW, Uncharted, etc.

Mr Hyde

Infamous is a great franchise. My favorite is number 2. Would love a fourth installment, even if it wasn't made by Insomniac (but preferably, since they would most likely knock it out of the park).

Cornbread78

White knight chronicles sounds like a twitch exclusive
Had some very "twitchable moments" playing it.....

The fact that I read this list and started rattling off additional names kinda upsets me a little.

Ape Escape, Wipeout, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and others. I get some of those are because studios are "done" with a lot of these but it would be great for those to get farmed out.
I know right. Those were just off the top of my head... I would take another MAG as well.

Good. I'll take new IPs over most of those. White Knight Chronicles? Arc the Lad?Lady? Come on, now.
WKC was some great fun, I had a lot of fun with the MMO-lite MP

I’d literally do anything for a new one of almost any of these IP’s. Especially a new Legend of Dragoon. On topic Sony should 100% do something else with Infamous. I think that series is incredibly underrated.
They should do something with all of those games this gen. MS is going to come in hot and heavy with all the Zenimax exclusives, so Sony needs to get out ahead of it and start development in a ton of stuff to keep up.

Top Bottom