• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

rm082e

Thats where the dockable Series S (whatever they call it) will come in, to target the masses

So you're thinking next Xbox generation is another two console offering? Even more powerful and expensive set top box (let's say $599-ish) and also a Steam Deck competitor ($349-ish)?

While the idea of that sounds interesting, the dual machine approach has not worked out well for them this generation. I would be surprised if their conclusion is they need to double down on that strategy.

I'll also say I don't think it really matters. I don't think hardware has really been their problem. I think their approach to new exclusive games and Gamepass have put them in the position they are in. If they aren't going to reverse course on those fronts, I think they're going to follow the same trajectory with hardware sales that they've been on.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I dont get why we can’t have modular consoles with contracts for 5-10 years for upgrades from vendors.

Slide in replaceable cpu and gpu solutions. It’s not hard to have graphic settings automated via hardware installed in a closed system.

Sw0pDiller

PS5 Slim & PS5 Pro vs Series S & Series X would make things kind of awkward don't you think?
Ps5 VS series x allready is awkward, series x was marketed as the greatest powerhouse with sustained 12 TF performance and some other slogans. In reality they are pretty much equal.

midnightAI

I dont get why we can’t have modular consoles with contracts for 5-10 years for upgrades from vendors.

Slide in replaceable cpu and gpu solutions. It’s not hard to have graphic settings automated via hardware installed in a closed system.
Because more than the CPU and GPU changes between generations? Such as IO, different cooling, power, controllers etc. CPU and GPU also easily taken up the majority of cost for a console. I see what you mean if you just mean the 'Pro' upgrade, but then you are left with a useless CPU/GPU component that is then useless, at least with a whole new console you could sell it to get some money back.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Because more than the CPU and GPU changes between generations? Such as IO, different cooling, power, controllers etc. CPU and GPU also easily taken up the majority of cost for a console. I see what you mean if you just mean the 'Pro' upgrade, but then you are left with a useless CPU/GPU component that is then useless, at least with a whole new console you could sell it to get some money back.
Im not saying generational upgrades but more like if your product is has a 10 year life span let the vendors sell pre approved hardware upgrades throughout the life of that specific console. I understand the need for new motherboards etc between generation but they could release a Zen 2 with more cores etc, and a GPU with more memory years later.

midnightAI

Im not saying generational upgrades but more like if your product is has a 10 year life span let the vendors sell pre approved hardware upgrades throughout the life of that specific console. I understand the need for new motherboards etc between generation but they could release a Zen 2 with more cores etc, and a GPU with more memory years later.
I just think it would be a very hard sell to the consumer, even modular like that you are probably talking $200-$300 each time, and it would make it tougher on Sony's first party Devs, if you want that kind of modular that's what PC is for. I think the Pro route is the best option half way through the gen, it's not a must have but good upgrade for those that can afford it (or, as mentioned, sell the base model to part fund the pro)

Perrott

Gold Member

With that title and coming from a MS shill (though one with a good track record of leaking information) such as Brad Sams, I was definitely expecting him to confirm that a XSX Pro was on the way along with some specs and shit.

Very lame to find out that it was a clickbait to 10mins of the man going into why it isn't and shouldn't be a Xbox Pro this generation.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I just think it would be a very hard sell to the consumer, even modular like that you are probably talking $200-$300 each time, and it would make it tougher on Sony's first party Devs, if you want that kind of modular that's what PC is for. I think the Pro route is the best option half way through the gen, it's not a must have but good upgrade for those that can afford it (or, as mentioned, sell the base model to part fund the pro)
I get it just hate the PC maintenance tax. Constant patching updates and bad ports.

onQ123

With that title and coming from a MS shill (though one with a good track record of leaking information) such as Brad Sams, I was definitely expecting him to confirm that a XSX Pro was on the way along with some specs and shit.

Very lame to find out that it was a clickbait to 10mins of the man going into why it isn't and shouldn't be a Xbox Pro this generation.
Yeah he pretty much made this video just for hits

Top Bottom