• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, isn't it all about the games? A look at PlayStation's monster 2020. Is this why you buy into the PlayStation ecosystem? Poll inside!

Isn't this what it's all about?

• Total voters

yurinka

Those games aren't exclusives.

Neither are half the games OP posted. Knitted Knight Knitted Knight
They are all exclusives:

They are either full PlayStation exclusives (only available there), full console exclusives (also available on PC, never will be available in other consoles) or timed console exclusives (at launch only available on PS and maybe PC, in the future may also appear in other consoles).

Unless I missed something and their official websites/wikipedia entries/appearance in list of exclusives from big sites, none of them have been announced for a non PlayStation console. And if maybe some of their creators mentioned in Twitter they may come to other consoles in the future / their trailers mention it's a timed exclusive, we don't know when are they going to be released in other consolles.

Last edited:
Nioh 2 is coming to PC.

Fall Guys

GodFall

Spelunky 2

Pistol Whip

Street Figther V

Granblue Fantasy

The Pathless

Oddworld: Soulstorm is releasing on every platform

JETT

Kena:Bridge of Spirits

None of these are exclusives.

Yeah, I'm at odds with the list in the OP.

Sony had a great year, the best out of the three no doubt, but the list seems odd because it clearly doesn't showcase exclusives specifically.

Irregardless, yes, I am indeed getting a Playstation 5 because of their tried and true output of games since the ps1 days.

Edit: Nvm, yurinka yurinka cleared it up. Wasnt aware that Spelunky and the likes was a console exclusive.

Last edited:

Ellery

Absolutely. It has always been like that for me with consoles. I think Nintendo is fine too, but they are slacking in the output (games that interest me) imho. Too many Wii U games, remasters and other games that have been on PC/PS4/Xbox for the last 5+ years or even more.

And it feels like each year has great exclusive games for PS4 and from the looks of it the PS5 is going to continue that with 10/10 games each year. Demon's Souls -> God of War 2 -> Naughty Dog game? -> and so on and so on.

Really glad I got a PS5 secured for Demon's Souls and the 2021 games that look amazing like Returnal, GT7, Kena and maybe even Horizon (though I think the Zero Dawn was too generic and bland).

Matsuchezz

Stray cat is also a good offering.
i mostly buy ps5 for the variety of games the system will have in its ranks. I can hardly wait to see what Naughty dog is working on. Probably we will wait a couple of years.

The Alien

Banned
Crazy that Ghost only got an 83 while TLOU2 got a 93. I feel like that should be reversed.

Predator Hunting Ground metacritic is a 56. Not sure why that was the only score left off.....oh wait. Gotcha. 😉

Stray cat is also a good offering.
i mostly buy ps5 for the variety of games the system will have in its ranks. I can hardly wait to see what Naughty dog is working on. Probably we will wait a couple of years.

Stray is game that I have been interested in most in years. Looks really nice and comfy. Like a real game, not just murder simulator

Unles the cat is a murderer

Gandih42

The library of games is hugely important, but I think it's more about being invested in the ecosystem for me. I like having my games in the same place, in terms of trophies, save data, playing with friends etc. I appreciate being able to track all the games I play in one place via the trophies. In addition, having a massive PS4 backlog, it's very handy to be able to play them on the PS5.

As a whole there aren't as many Xbox games I'm interested in, but if I was already invested in their ecosystem I don't think I'd change this gen due to Sony's lineup. Too many good games are multiplatform to abandon wherever I'm invested. The actual power of the machines is not important to me, so long as there are games I want to play and they perform well. I don't think the gap look significant enough to matter this upcoming generation but we'll see.

Last edited:

Thabass

P5R and FFVII Remake alone made it a great year for PlayStation. Hell Last of Us Part II alone, made it the best in 2020.

Having played through most of P5R, it really is one of the best RPGs...hell...one of the best games ever. I cannot wait to finish that game to gush about it properly.

So PlayStation fans are the ones considering games also on other platforms or coming to other platforms as exclusive now? Amazing how fast goal posts can move. Hell someone is saying pistol-whip is exclusive now in spite of being on pc first and pc getting upcoming content first?

PC isnt competing with consoles has been an excuse for a long time but it's crystal clear that Microsoft considers pc part of the Xbox family and is happy with you playing there. There is also a reason sony is embarrassed to announce their timed exclusives are coming to pc. It's honestly sad.

Meanwhile games like the outer worlds and Wasteland won't get put on any lists despite being xbox first party. An actual fair representation of list wars of who has what wouldn't be so kind to playstation.

More Japanese games will hit Xbox next gen than last gen so I wouldn't even be so sure about this assessment.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not very impressive for me, but I guess it´s all about tastes.

Of the games you listed the only one I´ve bought and really enjoyed is Persona 5 Royal, and I think for gaming in general whe have better years, like 2017 (MH:W, Nier:A and P5) or 2019 (Sekiro, RE2, DMCV)

Mildudon

moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
the thread

Not a really impressive lineup for my tastes, Nintendo first party is superior and Microsoft offers superior hardware+better value with GamePass. Only the newest GOW is a must buy, but that won't be out until 2022(2021 is a marketing lie).

Superior as in the games released for this year or your subjective general taste of them? Quite a difference there.

Except for the other platforms they are available on, you're right, they're exclusives.
In fact they're so PS5 exclusive, that I've already played them.

You played Bloodborne on PC or got a PS4 for that?

More Japanese games will hit Xbox next gen than last gen so I wouldn't even be so sure about this assessment.

What makes you say that? Phil taking a plane to Japan? He's done that several times - and often happens around launch. We know how that plays out. Not saying it's impossible, just highly unprobable. Specially if Sony increases the sales gap in the U.S. FFXVI is already coming exclusive out the gate. Project Athia has exclusivity too, and so does Pragmata. Japanese developers and publishers are getting smarter in how they appeal to Western audiences and thus spread their net more but it won't change much of the current status quo.

RedVIper

Banned
You played Bloodborne on PC or got a PS4 for that?

I own a PS4, hell I've owned every playstation console. How's that relevant?

You two idiots are still trying pass non exclusive games as exclusive for some reason.

Last edited:
What makes you say that? Phil taking a plane to Japan? He's done that several times - and often happens around launch. We know how that plays out. Not saying it's impossible, just highly unprobable. Specially if Sony increases the sales gap in the U.S. FFXVI is already coming exclusive out the gate. Project Athia has exclusivity too, and so does Pragmata. Japanese developers and publishers are getting smarter in how they appeal to Western audiences and thus spread their net more but it won't change much of the current status quo.
I only pointed out Japan because most of the games in OP are Japanese, but in general people go with the winner. Xbox at the very least going into next gen don't have a trash console this time. It won't be like the Xbox One. Hell, pure reversal of fortune should tell you that.

Kenpachii

Dunno why people are so obsessed about japan, i don't think anybody cares in the market about them at this point. Microsoft should aim at india / china markets otherwise stay in the western world.

elenapska

They are all exclusives:

They are either full PlayStation exclusives (only available there), full console exclusives (also available on PC, never will be available in other consoles) or timed console exclusives (at launch only available on PS and maybe PC, in the future may also appear in other consoles).

Unless I missed something and their official websites/wikipedia entries/appearance in list of exclusives from big sites, none of them have been announced for a non PlayStation console. And if maybe some of their creators mentioned in Twitter they may come to other consoles in the future / their trailers mention it's a timed exclusive, we don't know when are they going to be released in other consolles.

you are trying too much. Timed exclusives are dumb, at the end of the day you won't need a PS5 to play Godfall, Fallguys, bugsnax, kena.

Timed exclusives are created to impress impatient/uneducated gamers.

Last edited:
I own a PS4, hell I've owned every playstation console. How's that relevant?

I saw your avy. Was wondering....

You two idiots are still trying pass non exclusive games as exclusive for some reason.

No need for this. You seem angry. Relax.

I only pointed out Japan because most of the games in OP are Japanese, but in general people go with the winner. Xbox at the very least going into next gen don't have a trash console this time. It won't be like the Xbox One. Hell, pure reversal of fortune should tell you that.

There is only one market that's in contest. That's North America. But if the pre-order interest around the PS5, and after each Games Showcase, is any indication, the very least we can expect is the current status quo in NA - which to remind folks, doesn't favor Xbox either. It will "change" when proven it changed, but not a second before - we have nothing to base that out of. The contrarian point has way more basis.

These games will all come to Xbox.

You're making an educated guess that they'll come to Xbox. Quite a difference.

Last edited:
They are all exclusives:

I agree and disagree.

If console exclusive means exclusive then let it be so. As long as the bar is clear because this forum has had a lot of talk and a lot of agreement that games that launched on a console and on a pc were not considered exclusives anymore.

ZywyPL

Banned
Duh, why post so many 3rd party multiplatform titles, wtf? You don't need PS to play them. Other than DS remaster I don't see anything appealing in that lineup for 2020 that I won't be able to play on my PC, and given Sony's recent practices it's not even sure if that game won't come to PC in a year or two anyway. 2021 looks way much better, but again, it's Sony we are talking about, delays are inevitable. All I really need is a proper GT, really, while Forza Motorsport in undoubtedly a much better game, it just doesn't have that magic the GT1-5 had, no other racer has, because no one has the same passion as Kaz, but he kind of lost it and is stuck in the past.

yurinka

I agree and disagree.

If console exclusive means exclusive then let it be so. As long as the bar is clear because this forum has had a lot of talk and a lot of agreement that games that launched on a console and on a pc were not considered exclusives anymore.
  • Full exclusive = never will be released on other consoles or PC.
  • (Full) console exclusive = also released in PC at launch, never will be released in consoles of the competition, at least in this generation.
  • Timed console exclusive = also released in PC at launch, it isn't released in the consoles of the competition until a certain period of time, typically 6 or 12 months.

Last edited:
Typical D'Ghost's thread, he makes one of those every day recently.

I have a few more in the oven. Buckle up. Fun fact: Polls show way more engagement on hot topics than single individual posts, and provide a better picture of the general mood - with less baggage and drama. The more people voting: the better the quality of the poll in respect to the thread topic aka the better the job OP did in making it. There is also always the invisible poll option of: "I don't give a shit about OP's thread" as L LisaMariaMartin clearly depicts in that well thought out post.

Last edited:
  • Full exclusive = never will be released on other consoles or PC.
  • (Full) console exclusive = also released in PC at launch, never will be released in consoles of the competition, at least in this generation.
  • Timed console exclusive = also released in PC at launch, it isn't released in the consoles of the competition until a certain period of time, typically 6 or 12 months.
I totally understand that. But I think those might not be the prevelent definitions.

yurinka

you are trying too much. Timed exclusives are dumb, at the end of the day you won't need a PS5 to play Godfall, Fallguys, bugsnax, kena.

Timed exclusives are created to impress impatient/uneducated gamers.
I'm not trying nothing, it's the name they have and what they mean.

Like it or not, be a stupid arrogant or not, if you want to play a timed console exclusive in another console you'll have to wait for a certain amount of months or years.

I totally understand that. But I think those might not be the prevelent definitions.
Ok. In this case, how should be call these 3 types of exclusives?

Except for the other platforms they are available on, you're right, they're exclusives.

In fact they're so PS5 exclusive, that I've already played them.
Games that aren't playable on the consoles of the competition when released are some sort of exclusive. This is the case of all the games I listed.

Then there are different types of exclusives depending on if they are also released on PC or if after a certain amount of months or years they are allowed to appear in the consoles of the competition.

Last edited:

Arkam

I buy HW to play games. 2020 has been a great year on PS4 HW (hell lets be real, its been a great generation). For at least the last few years we have been getting 2-3 AAA exclusives that I lap up like water. PS5 looks to continue this trend.

How does it compare to the PS2 days? Hmmm, thats a thinker. PS2 was a lot of "firsts" and (for me) the peak of Gran Turismo (Prove me wrong GT7, prove me wrong). I think from the first party angle things are much better these days. More consistency on the quality and most are larger in scope, but quantity feels about the same. Third party I feel is a wash as both have had fantastic support.

I'm not trying nothing, it's the name they have and what they mean.

Like it or not, be a stupid arrogant or not, if you want to play a timed console exclusive in another console you'll have to wait for a while. Probably a year.

Ok. In this case, how should be call these 3 types of exclusives?
I believe if its exclusive to your ecosystem its an exclusive. Timed exclusives aren't exclusives. Console-only exclusives aren't exclusives. I understand this isn't the thought by all but it's how I and how the industry for a long time operated. This means Ori isn't an exclusive for MS and HZD isn't an exclusive for Sony. Because, regardless of time frame, they became available elsewhere. This also means that some games can be exclusive and then when we learn information that wasn't available at the time they can stop being exclusive. I wouldn't refer to HZD as an exclusive the minute I learned it would be made available elsewhere because the fact it is available elsewhere at some point removes the very point of it beingb referred to as exclusive. We didn't know this would happen so we rightly referred to it as an exclusive when it first came out. That's okay. But to refer to it as an exclusive any time after is a bit much.

I think the expansion of console games and IPs into the PC market has made this time of hardline distinction necessary. It isn't an exclusive if it is available on PC. I hold MS to that and I hold Sony to that and I would hold Nintendo to that if there was ever a chance that would be a thing. I don't consider MS games that now are available on PC exclusives and I won't do the same with an added "console" modifier to make it SEEM like their exclusive for marketing reasons. Those are "console" exclusives for the companies because that's how they want to market it. Us the consumers are not marketing the product and so we don't need to use that wording. It's just to make certain groups feel better and more exclusive (haha).

For me, the word exclusive is pretty clear. All the extras tacked on "console" or "timed" are just marketing terms (because they are) to make them SEEM exclusive when they're not. An exclusive is literally that exclusive. Not "exclusive for six months" because that's not exclusive. Not "exclusive but available elsewhere" because that's not exclusive.

There is only one market that's in contest. That's North America. But if the pre-order interest around the PS5, and after each Games Showcase, is any indication, the very least we can expect is the current status quo in NA - which to remind folks, doesn't favor Xbox either. It will "change" when proven it changed, but not a second before - we have nothing to base that out of. The contrarian point has way more basis.
OP you listed some great games coming to PS5 but other platforms will have great games too. Not to mention how many of these are on PS4 and PC?

Why is this combining 3 platforms to make a point , ps4, ps5, psvr (a platform of its own based on its price) and has many games with no scores yet?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a ton of games... most don't appeal to me, but that's not a knock on Sony at all.

I'd love a shooter thrown in, maybe a top down ARPG. Why don't any consoles ever try to do exclusive top down ARPGs? Feel like that's a huge genre with Diablo being so popular... and they have gotten pretty good on consoles with console controls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom