• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In regards to reappearing rumours - how do you imagine MGS1-3 remakes?

TheGejsza

As a big fan o Metal Gear I am just curious how do people imagine remaking those games?

I don't think you can make them justice by changing camera - I think it would be hard to keep the MGS 1-3 'soul' if you change the camera and it would require a major rework of locations and gameplay aspects - Twin Snakes showed that MGS1 just does not work when you can aim in first person.

I don't think you can remake them and keep top-view camera because it would not be appealing to many gamers right now.

So... how?

Personally I am against remaking MGS1-5 but some kind of re-imagine of Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 would be cool - there would be a lot of artistic freedom (and even in terms of plot because there are only few major plotpoints) but... can't imagine it without Kojima on board...

I just don't see why HOW they could remake those games and I am afraid it would either be pointless (if we stick to the top-view camera) or just straight impossible to remake for Bluepoint without major alteration of game aspects (changing camera to third person).

So - as a fan asking other fan - what would make you happy to see in those remakes? How do you imagine them?

Philfrag

Banned
A lot of people don’t like the idea of Kojima not working on something MGS related. I personally am all for it. I’ve always liked the idea of a beloved franchise that has said everything it has to say being taken over by a new generation of game makers. MGS needs a new set of eyes on it and if the remakes are going in that direction I think that’s awesome.

The resident evil 2 remake is one of my favourite games of the last 10 years and I used to play all the old ones back in the day. It looked at what the original was trying to achieve and expanded on it. I would like something similar.

With an MGS 1 remake I want to see updated stealth mechanics, something more like MGS 5. I would like to see bigger levels with more ways to tackle them. Add more vents, places to hide etc. I would like to see the story mostly stay the same but I’m okay with some well thought out artistic interpretations of original set pieces. One thing I won’t compromise on is the voice acting though. The performances are the heart and soul of that game and without them I feel the whole thing falls apart. If it’s difficult to get the original team back together maybe splice in original dialogue with new takes or something, but I think it mostly should stay the same. I also want it to retain the atmosphere or the original, it’s hard to explain what that is but everyone who’s a fan of MGS 1 will understand

If the games end up being 2-3 hours of gameplay and 15 hours of codex and cutscenes will be hard pass from me. I’m not willing to pay full priced aaa games for 4 hours of content.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a very big "if", but taking complete speculation at its word; it's Bluepoint, so they'll be shot-for-shot remakes with basically no significant changes.

Onironauta

There's no need for them, they should just port the HD collection + MGS1 to the new consoles
It would make more sense to remake the original Metal Gear games retconnecting the story.

TheGejsza

A lot of people don’t like the idea of Kojima not working on something MGS related. I personally am all for it. I’ve always liked the idea of a beloved franchise that has said everything it has to say being taken over by a new generation of game makers. MGS needs a new set of eyes on it and if the remakes are going in that direction I think that’s awesome.

The resident evil 2 remake is one of my favourite games of the last 10 years and I used to play all the old ones back in the day. It looked at what the original was trying to achieve and expanded on it. I would like something similar.

With an MGS 1 remake I want to see updated stealth mechanics, something more like MGS 5. I would like to see bigger levels with more ways to tackle them. Add more vents, places to hide etc. I would like to see the story mostly stay the same but I’m okay with some well thought out artistic interpretations of original set pieces. One thing I won’t compromise on is the voice acting though. The performances are the heart and soul of that game and without them I feel the whole thing falls apart. If it’s difficult to get the original team back together maybe splice in original dialogue with new takes or something, but I think it mostly should stay the same. I also want it to retain the atmosphere or the original, it’s hard to explain what that is but everyone who’s a fan of MGS 1 will understand

Yea Twin Snakes butchered Sound - both Voice Acting and OST (Sniper Wolf scene someone?). "I also want it to retain the atmosphere or the original" - there is something very surreal with MGS1, something like Tarantino movies - you know its retarded but it also somehow fits the game and narrative and you like it. This specific japanese-culture thing with over the top reactions, very and specific dialogue that I would call cringy but somehow here it's ok and cool and... yea... the soul... - "The Kojima's element" which is both cringy/retarded and brilliant at the same time.

Hudo

If this whole thing is real and if Bluepoint are involved and if they're smart, they'd do full-on shot-by-shot versions of the games with prettier graphics. They shouldn't mess with the story and/or gameplay because those things and how they are composed is exactly what made Metal Gear Solid so popular. Unless they work with Kojima directly, it would be very unwise to mess with anything that isn't graphics. This will already be more than enough work.

Soodanim

Without changing the gameplay they could use the camera and controls from 5 for MGS 1, 2 and 3.
It would be a brilliant way to do it, that engine did not get enough use despite being a damn near perfect template after the tweaks to controls they made in TPP. 3 in the 5 engine is a dream game, so if it’s happening I’m there day one.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think the only game in the series which a full remake could do wonders for is MGS Peace Walker. It'd basically be MGSV with a more rich story and a more interesting setting.
Any other of the old titles were products of their time, trying to remake them with modern mechanics wouldn't work honestly. At best some graphical updates.

I'm suprised it's taken this long tbh. The MGS series, for all it's popularity, is the only game i can think of, where the mainline story is carried across generations of consoles, making it hard for many people to complete the entire saga.

Remastering them and slapping them all on one generation (release one a year maybe?) is a banging idea to bring in the cashmonies and to let people like me finish the series.

TheGejsza

Without changing the gameplay they could use the camera and controls from 5 for MGS 1, 2 and 3.
It would not work without major rework of environment, AI and gameplay. It did not work with Twin Snakes - using First person camera made game absurdly easy because of very small locations, enemy AI and enemy line of sight. You just can't throw MGS5 gameplay (which was great in my opinion) into game designed with other kind of gameplay in mind. This is my point - without major rework of gameplay and locations it would NOT work.

TheGejsza

I think the only game in the series which a full remake could do wonders for is MGS Peace Walker. It'd basically be MGSV with a more rich story and a more interesting setting.
Any other of the old titles were products of their time, trying to remake them with modern mechanics wouldn't work honestly. At best some graphical updates.
I agree - Peace Walker would be the easiest to remake. Second would MGS4 and then MGS3. I think MGS3 would need a bit of work but it's doable thanks to open environment - it would be easy to expand and also retain original locations as set-pieces of map.

I just don't see how you can remake MGS1 and MGS2 with most of their location being small interiors/closed off. Putting third person perspective would just make whole gameplay retarded IMO - like an enemy standing few meters away and not seeing you because of their AI and line of sight made for top-view gameplay and small interiors.

Top Bottom