• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In one month, Mario Odyssey will release. What's your favorite Mario game and why?

Paper Mario 2. That game just has so much charm and such a fun world. The mainline games that I played just weren't as memorable to me. I am the kind of guy who prefers narrative and immersion over just mechanics though. Also Luigi's Mansion 1 for most underrated, it's the great survival horror parody nobody appreciated for years.

NKnight7

Neo Member
Galaxy is still my favorite, with 64 and Galaxy 2 up there as well. I remember when I got Galaxy for Christmas I easily spent half the day playing it.

Verder

Mario Odyssey .

I'm from the future .

Everyone goes nuts for it in line and switch is even harder to find than a pair of cheap legit yeezys

conman

Mario 64.

I've been gaming since the late '70s, and no game before or since Mario 64 ever felt so jaw-droppingly unreal the first time I played it. It made third-person platforming and action gaming possible. It found the new pace (short chunks) and new goals (collect X of Y in the same level) that have increasingly defined game design for the last 20 years. It made independent camera control in 3D feel natural like no game before it. Also, it's fun.

inner-G

Banned
Super Mario World

I like 2D Mario games, and it's the best one. It was mind-blowing at the time with the color, music, characters and depth. It defined the SNES for the first few months after launch.

*honorable mention: Paper Mario on N64

Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game. So many different levels, variety, powerups and bosses.

Fans preference of Galaxy vs. Galaxy 2 seems to be similar to the divide between SMB3 vs. SMW fans. Granted 3D Mario has a lot more contenders for favorite 3D Marios.

Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game. So many different levels, variety, powerups and bosses.

Fans preference of Galaxy vs. Galaxy 2 seems to be similar to the divide between SMB3 vs. SMW fans. Granted 3D Mario has a lot more contenders for favorite 3D Marios.

Galaxy vs Galaxy 2 usually comes down to a few factors but I have a really hard time arguing that gameplay in Galaxy 1 is better than Galaxy 2. A lot of the arguments for Galaxy 1 comes down to the hub world and later levels in Galaxy 2 being locked behind a ton of starbits. I never actually got 120 stars in Galaxy 1 but got 241 stars in Galaxy 2 (gave the last level a few tries but I hate the idea of making a level artificially harder by reducing your life).

watdaeff4

That is tough, my upper echelon are

SMB
SMB 3
SMW
SM64
SM3DW

Would probably go with SMW just how it took the 2D platformer to a whole new level and introduced the multiple routes, Yoshi, etc to the series. The Feather/Cape is still one of my favorite power-ups even if it is over-powered.

maxcriden

Well, there was a 5 year difference between Sunshine and Galaxy, and a 6 year difference between SM64 and Sunshine. Unless you're counting handheld games, I guess. But I'm not as knowledgeable about Mario's handheld games. :p

Oh, you're right about SM64 and Sunshine. I totally missed that. I'll edit my post. Mainline game between Sunshine and Galaxy was NSMB DS. That was a 3 year and 9 month wait. The wait between 3DW and SMO is 3 years and 11 months. :)

Freeman76

Mario 64. It just blew my mind. The following Mario games pretty much all built on it, but that one will stay with me in my gaming memories.

Kurt

Galaxy (1,2)

Its all about platforming with an extra dimension. Also best music for a mario game so far. Bu i like all of them with sunshine as an exception.

My most wanted sequel would be smb2 in 3d.

Raptomex

Super Mario World. Greatest game ever made. Fun levels, great controls, excellent music, superb gameplay. A game I can always come back to.

Galaxy 1

It has a grand sense of adventure, exploration, and discovery. It has a balance of brilliantly designed levels for both fans of exploration and precision platforming. It has an amazing soundtrack. It isn't afraid to include a bit of narrative (even if optional).

It was a fantastically fresh experience which 2 failed to sustain from a presentation point of view. I'll always consider it the best Mario title (Oddyesy may dethrone it tho.)

Close second is SM3DW. This style of multiplayer is a must for the series moving forward. It feels like a true multiplayer evolution of the heart of the franchise.

Honorable Mention: Paper Mario 64 because I have very fond memories of playing it with a friend.

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Edit: Forgot the 'why'. World and 64 are very close. They are the games my mind goes to when I think of their respective systems. World gets the slight edge because it has maybe my favorite visual design of any game ever and one of my favorite soundtracks. Every aspect of the game feels enjoyable and will feel the same in 50 years.

Wamb0wneD

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

There are other games I would rather replay like the Galaxy games, but The Thousand Year Door holds a sentimental value for me since I experienced it with a good friend growing up. We got all the way through the game, and finished right before I had to move away. We still keep in touch.

I mean yeah if we are talking non platforming games this wins by a country mile. I want to play this damn game on the go. Do it Nintendo.
It's not even about being sentimental, this game is simply one of the best turn based RPGs ever made.

Inidet

I grew up on 64, and loved it but my winner has to be

MOTHER FUCKING SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE BABY

66410-Super_Mario_Sunshine-7.jpg

You want tight controls?? You got it all up in here

How about SOME A E S T H E T I C S?? We got all the summer and all the pretty water you could ever want.

STEEL DRUMS AND ACCORDIONS BITCH

nah but for real I love that game. I try to replay it every summer. I know I'm in the minority. Also Super Mario 3D Land is a close second

Fiendcode

Probably a toss up between World and Galaxy 1 depending on my mood. Although I'll admit neither are probably the best games in the series overall, that probably goes to NSMBU and Galaxy 2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Super Mario Galaxy, because it's the best platformer ever made. 2 isn't far behind. I also absolutely love SM64, maybe even more in some ways, but rationally SMG is the better game.

Sami+

The only one I've ever beaten was 64. I dunno, there was just something really cool about that game that sucked me in as a kid. Exploring the castle was a lot of fun and I liked finding crazy stuff like the window that takes you into a secret level or how looking up at the sun in the lobby warped you into the sky. Really excited for Odyssey.

Cramoss

Mario 64 because I had so much fun with it and love its controls and presentation (music, artstyle, levels) and followed by Sunshine.

sephiroth7x

Has to be Super Mario World.

So many sentimental memories and helped me bridge a connection with my mum after my ASD diagnosis. Only way we managed to connect... well... this and Mario Kart!

Super Mario World for sure. I love the artstyle. It's the best "feeling" game in the series for me.

Also really enjoy Super Mario Bros 2 (US). It added a lot to world of Mario. Birdie and Shy Guys are iconic now.

Skronk

Banned
Mario 64 is my all time favourite. Odyssey is looking like exactly what I want from a Mario game. 3D Mario should never have time limits.

I don't have a favorite...but Mario is rather a game series full of personal gaming defining moments :

-First time I saw and played SMB1 at a friend's place. I had only played the Atari 2600...and this scrolling, graphics, variety of ennemies, backgrounds and secrets were mind blowing. I was 0_o

-SMWorld : It was like playing a cartoon back then. So much creativity going on.

-SM64 : It was their first try in a full 3D game and I had never experienced something like that...You felt way more free, it was way more "involving" but also the game was really still fun and easy to pick.

-Galaxy : Ok, I skipped the Wii, got one in 2013 only. And I understood why this game was so praised. It has so much creativity going for it...it is out of this world.

Oh and all the Mainline Mario games have aged beautifully.

Honestly? Mario Odyssey itself. I know it sounds super weird but my investment in the game has made me spent the last couple months invested in finding new footage, be it through their twitter, through new press footage, or whatever. I keep gathering and saving new footage, analysing it, and compiling all the moons I found so far, and it's just been non-stop fun for basically months now - I never really "followed" the pre-release launch hype of a game like this before and it's been a fantastic experience. I feel giddy just thinking about it, haha.

If that doesn't count, Galaxy 2 / Mario Maker

Deja

Played various Mario games since the early/mid 90s. Our youth club had a SNES (that's pronounced "Snez" btw ;]) that had Super Mario All Stars. Great memories.

However, my favourite has to be Sunshine. I imagine I'm in a minority here but I loved it, and those levels where they took away your FLUDD felt like a real treat.

EDIT : there are more like me who love Sunshine too. I feel accepted 😂

Amory

Im realizing as I look back that a Mario game hasn't "meant" anything to me in a really long time. Theyre fun while they last but I usually find the modern titles rather forgettable.

Mario 3 was the one I played the most with my friends and family and I still think its the best game in the series

BumRush

For me, Super Mario World will always be incredibly tough to beat. Galaxy, Yoshi's Island and RPG are favorites for sure, but World is my favorite platformer of all time.

In my opinion, the best thing about it is how it is simultaneously an easy game and a hard game, depending on what you consider "beating it".

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Mario 64.

When I first saw footage of it my mind was racing with the possibilities of what full 3D would be capable of. When I finally got my hands on it at Christmas '97 my mind was blown Paul Rudd-style. Still one of the most important games of all time and also one of the best.

Sunshine for the location and movement mechanics. By no means is it the best one, that's Galaxy 1 or 2, but I love Sunshine the most and wish it was the finished game it should have been.

For whatever reason I have never liked Super Mario World. Playing it has never felt good and someday I hope to find out what's wrong with me so I can fix it and enjoy the game.

rbenchley

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

I adore RPGs and absolutely loathe platformers, so this is an easy choice for me. The traditional mainline Mario games are extremely well made, but they're just not for me. Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and 1000 Year Door take all of the considerable charm of the Mario universe and utilize them in delightful RPG games with fun stories, instead of the platforming game that I find tedious and dull.

Jmille99

Super Mario World - not only did they knock it out of the park in terms of looks between 3 and World, but I also love the new enemies, the secrets, the general feel of the platforming, etc. In my mind its one of, if not THE, greatest platformer of all time and one of the best games of all time.

Very fond memories of playing this with a friend before going to school growing up. So much fun trying to make it to the end as kids and then exploring so much more with Star Road

Lunar15

Platformer: Galaxy 2. It's stupid good, probably the pinnacle of everything Mario's about. I've enjoyed the games since, but no game has managed to tap into what I loved about both 2D and 3D mario in one game. Just a total hot-bed for creativity.

Spin-off: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Pianta Mafia, nuff said.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Super Mario Land.

First game I completed. No I don't think it's the best, but it's my favourite.

And SMW I guess, it's just so well refined,although I played it about 7 years after launch, and after 64. Took me a while to warm to Mario 64, never really liked the level design, not enough platforming.

Galaxy 2 is my favourite 3d Mario.

SML is cute, but definitely the worst Mario platformer ever made. Or at least the shortest and easiest.

Lusankya

Even though I grew up with Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, I actually prefer the more recent 3D Mario titles.

Can't decide between Mario Galaxy 1 (better atmosphere) or Mario Galaxy 2 (better gameplay).

Mario 3, particularly the GBA version. I always carry my GBM with a copy of it. Love the music, sound effects, level design, visuals (old and new), power ups, plus, it has the right ammount of challenge. Every time I hear the music, it takes me back to playing it on the NES. The boss fights are a bit too easy, but the rest of the game is pure bliss. The QOL improvements of the GBA version (saving, quick saving, updated visuals, portability) and the extra card levels (a whole new game) make it my favorite Mario.

Pat

3D: Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario Galaxy 2 >>> Super Mario 3D Land >>> Super Mario 3D World

2D (side-scroller): Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Yoshi's Island > New Super Mario Bros. series > Super Mario Bros. >>> Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Land 1/2

Mario Galaxy 2 was a masterpiece, but I prefer small open worlds rather than linear levels. As for Super Mario 3D World, it is the only Mario I never been able to finish due to boredom.

My favorite is Super Mario World, even though Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best video game I've ever played.

The reason being? I'm forever 10-years-old playing that game. It's the feeling of Christmas.

ryeouokmadri0gex4zvu.gif

THE GUY

Banned
I haven't played many so I can talk about all of them.

Super Mario World: My favorite of the bunch, and the one I played first. Prior to this, the only platformer I had played was Sonic, which was also great, but Mario was quite different. There were a lot of little things I enjoyed like using mushrooms to grow bigger, getting items that gave specific powers, the stages running the gauntlet of different settings was also brilliant, and the simple concept of there being different worlds. A little thing like using that map to go one from stage to another added to the presentaton of it all.

Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Sunshine: All were terrible and didn't click with me. Basically put me off the franchise for a very long time.

Super Mario 3D World: Back with a bang. This reminded me a lot of Super Mario World, which I'm sure is deliberate, but the added bonus of multiplayer was genius. Easily one of the most fun experiences I've had with a game. Some special memories because my younger nieces and nephews joined in and it became a bonding experience of sorts.

I'm going to buy the new one but I am afraid it'll be more like the ones I hated than the ones I loved.

Top Bottom