• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In one month, Mario Odyssey will release. What's your favorite Mario game and why?

VDenter

Banned
3D: Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario Galaxy 2 >>> Super Mario 3D Land >>> Super Mario 3D World

2D (side-scroller): Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Yoshi's Island > New Super Mario Bros. series > Super Mario Bros. >>> Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Land 1/2

Nailed it.

AdanVC

Super Mario Sunshine is the one I played the most and have the fondest memories too. It's certainly not as polished as the Galaxy games but still a really really good game and it's one of my faves.

Followed by Super Mario World wich I also have so many good memories of it. I was blown away the first time I reached the secret world. I was a kid at that time and I genuinely thought the game broke or something. I used to think that once you beat bowser, that was it and there was not supposed to be anything beyond that.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Galaxy 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Galaxy = Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 2 = 3D Land
Mario 64
Sunshine = Super Mario Bros
>>>>>>>>
New Super Mario Bros DS (I hate this game)

Haven't played: 3D world, Land 1 or 2, any NSMB besides the first

Roo

My favorite Mario game is definitely Super Mario Bros. 3 by far. I lost count of how many times I've played the game and I simply never get tired of it. I love everything about that game.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a close second tho.

mikeebi3

super mario 64 - the combo of being at the right age, new revolutionary platform and godlike gaming experience will forever live on in my heart

Struct09

Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's the culmination of what makes Mario games great - inventive mechanics that are used in fun ways and don't overstay their welcome, and that are introduced in a steady pace of increasing challenge. I can only hope Super Mario Odyssey builds upon this while hearkening back to the world-style of Mario 64.

Castorp

I played almost all mario games.
the only one i like is mario sunshine, because of the ambience, the gameplay, and the gamecube pad <3

Super Mario 3D World

Why? Honestly I prefer the 2D Mario gameplay over 3D Mario gameplay (although both are good) and the improvements that this game had over 3D World really put it over the top.

(Also being able to play as Peach or Rosalina is a definite plus in my book)

It's either 3 or World. 2 is also good really good, but it's not really a Mario game. The original SMB and Lost Levels were a bit basic for my tastes compared to the sheer amount of power ups and gameplay tweaks in the latter games. Never really liked anything that came after that. Crash ended up taking over as my platformer of choice since it stuck closer to the 2d platformer style than Mario 64.

edit: Yoshi's island was good too. Would place it just under World and 3.

PaulBizkit

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy

Honorable mention to Super Mario 16

FOTO%205.jpg

Majmun

This is so hard. I can't choose.

All I know is that none of the NSMB/SML games, SMB2, Sunshine or 3D Land/World will be it.

The others are all perfect.

The only Mario game I haven't played is Super Mario Maker, so I can't fit that one in anywhere. But here's a rundown of the rest:

My order for the 3D Mario's:
1) Galaxy 2
2) SM64
3) 3D World
4) Galaxy
5) Sunshine
6) 3D Land

My Top 5 2D Mario's:
1) Super Mario World
2) SMB3
3) NSMBU
4) Super Mario Bros.
5) NSMB Wii

My Top 5 Mario RPGs
1) Paper Mario TTYD
2) Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
3) SMRPG
4) Bowser's Inside Story
5) Paper Mario

Can't freaking wait for Odyssey. Every time I see another trailer for it my mind keeps getting blown.

1) Galaxy 2
By far my favourite game ever and in my opinion the best game ever made. Never has a game come so close to perfection as this one and i doubt it will ever happen again.
2) SM64
Just replayed it last month, it's still great but i won't lie that my nostalgia for it puts it above a few of the later entries.
3) Galaxy 1
Almost as good as 2 but the sequel took everything good and made it better.
4) 3D World
Played through it with people and thought it was very good but not great and then did it by myself again, collecting everything and fell in love. Such a great game.
5) Super Mario World
Still my favourite 2D Mario and one i will replay until the day i die.
6) 3D Land
Really loved it when it came out but i don't know if it holds up after 3DW
7) NSMBU
Much better than the rep it gets. Level design is top notch
8) Super Mario Bros. and NSMB Wii
Really loved SMB and the Wii game when it first came to DS but i haven't played either since.
9) SMB3
Despite being in many people's top 3 it never clicked with me. I never owned it as a kid and never enjoyed it that much when playing as an adult.
10) Sunshine
I still really like Sunshine with a few QoL fixes it would still be a 9/10 if it came out today but it's the only game in the main series that i would not consider to be great.

i have a strong feelining that Odyssey will become no. 2.

Foffy

Banned
I would probably say Super Mario Galaxy 2, if we're talking the mainline Mario platformers and ignoring subseries like RPGs are platformers from other Mario franchise characters like Donkey Kong and Wario. If we included those, I think I'd have to go with Donkey Kong Country 2. ;)

I originally looked at Galaxy 2 as a kind of lazy expansion of the prior game, much like how I saw New Super Mario Bros Wii to be the same for its prior title. However, both games here actually feel like more evolved and more "full" experiences, especially Galaxy 2 when compared to the first.

Galaxy 2 kind of makes the first game look like a trial title to test concepts and ideas, which is remarkable to actually say as the original Galaxy is considered one of the best games on its platform, of that generation, of Nintendo's first party work, and one of the best games ever made.

Here is hoping Odyssey hits the same highs, even if it's going more to the sandbox of 64 and Sunshine. I hope for the level of variety that the Galaxy games offered and not a random collectafest like Donkey Kong 64.

AaronMT86

Mario 64

It was everywhere. It was in kiosks in Toy's R Us, Sears, movie theatres, Blockbuster. Everywhere. All the places I visited when I was 10. The 64 was revolutionary and playing this game with my friends at the time was something I'll never forget. I remember going on early discussion forums on dialup and talking about the game's secrets ('L is Real 2041') and reading very primitive text FAQs for obtaining all 120 Stars. It'll forever be at the top of my list for best Mario game.

DJIzana

Right now, it's always been...

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Sunshine
4. Super Mario Bros. 3

I imagine Super Mario Odyssey could replace even World or 64 on my list. I'm really excited for this, let alone, all the little details we've seen for the game, so far!

maxcriden

Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's the culmination of what makes Mario games great - inventive mechanics that are used in fun ways and don't overstay their welcome, and that are introduced in a steady pace of increasing challenge. I can only hope Super Mario Odyssey builds upon this while hearkening back to the world-style of Mario 64.

Super Mario 3D World

Why? Honestly I prefer the 2D Mario gameplay over 3D Mario gameplay (although both are good) and the improvements that this game had over 3D World really put it over the top.

(Also being able to play as Peach or Rosalina is a definite plus in my book)

Both of your posts encapsulate why SMG is sometimes my fave, and SMG is sometimes my fave, and then other times 3DW is my fave. I do think the Golden Bell is one of my favorite power-ups ever.

Mario 64 is still my favorite because of how Mario controls. He's so quick and agile while also having a very deep moveset. Makes traversing with him super fun. All the other 3D Mario games became a little bit worse in this department. Odyssey is looking great in this regard.

Another reason I love 64 is the replayability. I loved the Galaxy games, but the faster pace of Mario 64 has always made it more fun to replay for me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For me, probably Super Mario Bros. 3. I was 10 when it released here in North America, and it blew me away. I had never seen anything like it, and it was the talk of the school when The Wizard came out, and Fred Savage was playing a Mario game none of us knew existed.

I still revisit it from time to time.

My runner up would maybe be Super Mario World. It took everything that was great about SMB3, and kicked it up a few dozen notches, but 3 just holds that special place in my heart.

The 3D Mario’s are cool, but I love the classic 2D ones too much.

2D: Super Mario World
3D: Galaxy 2

SMW has absolutely incredible art, looks and plays really well to this day, and has my favorite soundtrack in all of Mario, even if it’s mostly the same song just slightly different. Dat castle theme. Bonus nostalgia points here because I didn’t have a SNES as a kid (just Genesis & PC) and only got to play SMW at friend’s houses or after-school care where they had a SNES with All-Stars + World.

Galaxy 2 is a game that I didn’t really know what to expect going into it, because Galaxy 1 was already so good. The level design in this game is straight-up genius. Every. Single. Level. throws something new, novel, creative, and fun at you and never lingers on any one gimmick long enough to feel like it overstated its welcome. The 2-player co-op with P2 controlling the Luma using the Wii Remote pointer was surprisingly fun, and I am beyond thrilled that Nintendo decided to do something similar in Odyssey.

I fucking love Super Mario Galaxy 2. I wasn’t sure what my favorite was before writing this post, but I think I can say Galaxy 2 is my all-time favorite now.

maxcriden

2D: Super Mario World
3D: Galaxy 2

Galaxy 2 is a game that I didn’t really know what to expect going into it, because Galaxy 1 was already so good. The level design in this game is straight-up genius. Every. Single. Level. throws something new, novel, creative, and fun at you and never lingers on any one gimmick long enough to feel like it overstated its welcome. The 2-player co-op with P2 controlling the Luma using the Wii Remote pointer was surprisingly fun, and I am beyond thrilled that Nintendo decided to do something similar in Odyssey.

I fucking love Super Mario Galaxy 2. I wasn’t sure what my favorite was before writing this post, but I think I can say Galaxy 2 is my all-time favorite now.

Your enthusiasm for SMG2 is really infectious! Just makes me want to replay it. I like he co-op in the SMG games a lot, too. I suppose we'll skip it in SMO simply because we only have the one pair of Joy-Cons so far. But the idea that it's included again is really rad. Anyway, I agree with you. The level design and bursting creativity of SMG2 is absolutely astounding, and I personally felt for timed courses they brought that level of creativity back very impressively in 3DW.

CosmicGinger

Neo Member
2D
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Iconic, classic, perfection. I still play this game at least once a year. I'll never forget holding that yellow box in my hand when I was 12 years old. Absolutely timeless game.

Runner up: New Super Mario Bros. U - Sadly underrated due to its association with both the Wii U and the NSMB series. The speed run challenges in this game are proof of its brilliance in level design and the world is a joy to traverse. Beautiful design overall that in my opinion transcends the divisive NSMB aesthetic.

3D

Super Mario Galaxy - Another game that I've never really stopped playing and that feels like gaming magic through and through. It's a joy just to stop and look around the worlds in this game. The sequel is wonderful and amazing but just didn't capture that same level of magic for me. Too many levels felt like a slog and I wasn't fond of the coin mechanic in the first star of each world.

Runner up: Super Mario 3D World - I don't think I've ever played a game as polished as this one. The cat suit is a great addition to Mario's repertoire, and the incorporation of multiplayer into a 3D Mario game was expertly handled. Plus, Fire Peach.

Blackie

This is an impossible question for me to answer. I have been playing Mario games since some of my earliest memories and the vast majority of them are incredible, genre-defining. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time but Mario could be my favorite series :)

Top Bottom