• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In just less than 2 days of preorder, Super Mario 3D All-Star already becomes the 3rd best selling software on amazon.com 2020 total sales chart

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo and other platform holders just learned a very important lesson. All they need to do is threaten to de-list something and gamers will preorder the hell out of it. Thanks a lot guys.

Or they learned to have an amazing IP with an incredible hit rate of all time greats and then release 3 of them in a pack after 35 years so that people like me can play themfor the first time.

Some people don't understand, this is a collection of games that defines its generation and not knack collection or some cinematic bs video game collection.
This+bait+is+weak+_7ddd7a48dea4143d54d5d145fbca4696.jpg

"You are weak as a baby fart, go live in fear."

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Or they learned to have an amazing IP with an incredible hit rate of all time greats and then release 3 of them in a pack after 35 years so that people like me can play themfor the first time.

Sure, cocaine and LSD can give you great trips and still we tend not to recommend them as one of your fives a day.

We cannot be this starved and supine that, yes they are genre defining games (and Sunshine ;)), we are defending straight ports with little to no changes (Galaxy seems exactly like the nVIDIA Shield port they made a year or two ago) and artificial digital scarcity.

Not limited prints, limited artificial digital scarcity.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
In other news rain is still wet, as is Nintendo. Nothing new, same old same old. Fans of their games are fine with buying the same one over and over.
Any fan of anything is usually buying the same thing over and over again sometimes you just want something familiar but with a new look.

Any fan of anything is usually buying the same thing over and over again sometimes you just want something familiar but with a new look.
And people forget, they're all portable.

I remember the ancient times (last gen). I'd regularly pay $40 for an inferior 3DS port of games I wanted on the go.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, cocaine and LSD can give you great trips and still we tend not to recommend them as one of your fives a day.

We cannot be this starved and supine that, yes they are genre defining games (and Sunshine ;)), we are defending straight ports with little to no changes (Galaxy seems exactly like the nVIDIA Shield port they made a year or two ago) and artificial digital scarcity.

Not limited prints, limited artificial digital scarcity.

I presume you also dislike classic films being made available for purchase without anyone adding CGI dinosaurs and lesbians kissing in the background because it’s a lazy cash grab?

As for limited availability - it’s limited time, there is no scarcity as it’s not limited numbers. I had zero problems getting a copy ordered and others will do the same, and I’m sure plenty of second hand copies will be available afterwards.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I presume you also dislike classic films being made available for purchase without anyone adding CGI dinosaurs and lesbians kissing in the background because it’s a lazy cash grab?
What are you talking about? If the stupid CG additions and not the frame by frame digital restoring and improvements to picture quality is what you remember you are the one with an agenda there :p.
I will take the defensiveness as a sign that trying to defend artificia scarcity/FOMO on digital titles takes a bit of a toll.

As for limited availability - it’s limited time, there is no scarcity as it’s not limited numbers. I had zero problems getting a copy ordered and others will do the same, and I’m sure plenty of second hand copies will be available afterwards.
It is, it is the same stoking of fear of missing out / download now or you will miss it. But I guess it is the next step of treating digital as if it were physics items except you cannot resell them and the provider only licenses them and can remove them at any time.

MagnesG

Banned
The games won't suddenly becomes bad or anything lol. I would buy these collections now and would do the same years later. I'm sure people who love classic Crash would bought the next collection if it is exists. Fact is, they priced it low because they are not confident with $60 price, not because they LOVE the their consumers, I mean these retarded consumers.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

No no no. You don't understand!
Why the hell would you want to buy a collection of games that you actually want to play?

Wouldn't you rather pay for and play some games you DON'T want to play? :)

Birdo

Banned
So many people on social media saying that they are buying two copies so they can keep one sealed.

Pathetic. This whole thing is just a sorry state and Nintendo will just get a free pass.

CitizenX

Banned
Yep the same reason game like GTAV, COD 2014-2020, FIFA 2014-2020, Madden 2014-2020, NBA2K 2014-2020 are top selling games on PS4 and XBO.

The only difference, everyone is labeled with its copy paste, same and anything by Nintendo is just cute and perfect.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
So many people on social media saying that they are buying two copies so they can keep one sealed.

Pathetic. This whole thing is just a sorry state and Nintendo will just get a free pass.

People on social media are idiots, so no surprise there.

Of course Nintendo will go later: "Due to popular demand, you can buy it after march too!"

Vaelka

That's maybe because switch owners have nothing to play but Nintendo games. So when one comes out they jump on it?

This same thing happens when any exclusive is released on PS4.
Most people are pretty braindead in their purchasing decisions when it comes to games and a lot of people only play the big titles.

acm2000

wait do people actually believe amazon charts? sorry but i dont believe anything amazon puts up on the store, from "amazons choice" junk to the sales charts, its all manipulated in a way to push sales.

This really isn’t a new phenomenon. There is a reason that there are still sealed copies of vintage games. My mom even bought extra copies of Turtles and Barbies and such that my we got as toys growing up.

Zannegan

Color me yellow and call me daisy if they won’t sell it to you as a stand-alone later on.

proxy-image
Let's be realistic, each of these (including Galaxy 2) is getting a remake and an individual SKU at some point in the next decade. With a fresh coat of HD and a new chapter/world/mode, each will retail for the low, low price of 60 USD, which I guess will technically be a budget price once $70 becomes the norm.

Some people don't understand, this is a collection of games that defines its generation and not knack collection or some cinematic bs video game collection.

You speak nothing but the truth my man. You're a misunderstood poster. And besides, the ultimate litmus test of a product validity is simply if it reaches its target audience. Not only sales, but actually pleasing the audience which keeps them coming back. As an example, people shitpost to this day about Pokemon Sword, but most of them haven't played it. People shitposting about this collection wouldn't play it anyway. Those people are irrelevant and they certainly act that way. Powerlessness always leads one to feel MEGA MAD.

radewagon

They could have done all that without threatening to de-list digital content thereby creating false scarcity of a product that has a virtually endless supply. You credit them for creating a great IP, but the strength of that great IP is what they are using to leverage a scummy business tactic. Simply put, they don't have to do that. They can release it without strings attached.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Phil S.: Eeeeeeeeeeewwwww

So anti consumer..... selling older software again.... who believes in generations ?

... ewweeeeww
I find this ironic when most of the users on this board what an "HD REMAKE" of games less than 10 years old.

Humdinger

The Nintendo owner who only plays on Nintendo is a rare animal. Every Switch owner I know also at the very least has a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC. It's been this way for generations.

Just to back that up with some stats (caveat: this is just GAF, so it's not representative of the whole market), this poll found that the percentage of people gaming ONLY on Switch was less than 2%.

On the other hand, Switch was a very popular choice among people who owned more than one console. For example, PS4 + Switch was a more popular combination than PS4 + Xbox, PC + PS4, Xbox + Switch, or PC + Switch.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
So Nintendo’s evil plan to sell a lot of games worked?

How evil of them. They can’t keep getting away with this!

Those evil bastards! The game will only be on sale for six months!

Six months! That is some manufactured scarcity right there.

When will this scummy business practice of limited time offers end!?

I suppose what's quite funny is that this is a company selling entertainment products and people are acting like they are price gouging on hand sanitizer or medication or something.

Did you hear about the scumbag behaviour of Company X? They are selling a game during a 6 month window only.

Um. OK.

Will we get sob stories come April 1st from all the people cruelly denied their opportunity to consume product? :)

I can practically hear Jim Sterling screeching through mouthfuls of cake.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I keep seeing people complain about “artificial scarcity”

you people DO know the entire world is in the middle of a global pandemic?

Like maybe there are more important things than getting your videogame.

h4t3

Corona Year ppl no money for Xmas
I dont think so :p

New xbox and ps5 will sell like hot cakes and even more new 3000 nvidia graphic cards

The limited release window does put a damper on anyone with more currently limited funds. Which in these times can't be that uncommon.

Hoping for SMG2 surprise ton bomb. Game's 10 years old and suffered from being a late Wii cycle game and facing Red Dead Redemption.

Top Bottom