• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In just less than 2 days of preorder, Super Mario 3D All-Star already becomes the 3rd best selling software on amazon.com 2020 total sales chart

Mario and Zelda are "woke" now? What?

now?

images

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
With All Stars coming out in 18th, there is no chance in hell 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim going ever sell well here.

angry-face-expression-gif.gif

Another great game is going to get overlooked.

Cravis

Wonder how many cancel? I got caught up in the “limited time only” hype. I immediately preordered it on Amazon. Few hours later I asked myself “why?” and cancelled.

Kazza

It's crazy that something so overpriced and low-effort can sell so much, so quickly. Just compare:

EhDTinDWsAAh0eM

It's a little depressing, just like how the latest Madden is selling so well. Of course, how individuals choose to use their money is their business, and I don't begrudge people being happy or excited for this, but it seems to me that the more companies get away with this kind of shit the worse it will be for all of us in the long run. Why put time and effort into something when people will lap up a low quality product just as much? Hopefully other companies will just think "well, that's Nintendo fans for you" and not make them think they can get away with it too.

Danjin44

Different systems, right? I don't see it having an effect.
My fear is that its gonna get overshadowed but then again it already is. I barely see anyone talking about this game.

And they put lots of effort to put English dub in the game. This game is gonna be most overlooked game this year or even generation.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I pre-ordered it. I had a N64 but never played Mario 64. I have a Gamecube and bought and played Sunshine. It;s ok. I got a Wii but never got Galaxy. So, I have 2 great games to finally experience and 1 to revist (even though it's not the best).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's crazy that something so overpriced and low-effort can sell so much, so quickly. Just compare:

EhDTinDWsAAh0eM

It's a little depressing, just like how the latest Madden is selling so well. Of course, how individuals choose to use their money is their business, and I don't begrudge people being happy or excited for this, but it seems to me that the more companies get away with this kind of shit the worse it will be for all of us in the long run. Why put time and effort into something when people will lap up a low quality product just as much? Hopefully other companies will just think "well, that's Nintendo fans for you" and not make them think they can get away with it too.
Might as well claim it's depressing gog.com exists as it started out by selling us the oldies we wanted to (re)play, as they were with maybe a fix or two for modern OS. Also you weren't happy when Sony (or similarly Microsoft) made this or that particular PlayStation (1/2) game you wanted to have again available on PSN etc.? Didn't Resident Evil 4 (and Remake, and others) sell quite a lot (and was regardless considered a good thing) with all the re-releases the last couple of generations (and even got negative comments for tampered hd-fied assets most recently as people preferred the original)? FFVII and others by Square were re-released as they were on all kinds of platforms too. How many times have you wished SEGA would give us Saturn and Dreamcast classics on modern systems by now anyway? And if you haven't and I remember wrong, what's wrong with you, lol. Anything else is not justified by such weak arguments that sound like salty repressed feelings.

Here's a single PS2 era game, never mind a bundle that includes one of those, one older and one newer, by sweet Square.

Here's a PS1 game, I wonder how much that 20 would be if it was offered with a couple more of them, huh. Evil Nintendo.

Last edited:
I don't know if I should support this business behavior? Perhaps this is Nintendo testing the waters on selling their Ips for a limited time.... Let's not make them comfortable with this selling tactic. just a thought

radewagon

Nintendo and other platform holders just learned a very important lesson. All they need to do is threaten to de-list something and gamers will preorder the hell out of it. Thanks a lot guys.

Vawn

Banned
So no one else realizes it's just following the tradition of the original Super Mario All-Stars release?

You mean where they took 3 classic Mario games and redid the graphics from the ground up to take advantage of the new hardware?

I'm not seeing that here. This is just 3 classic games ported together in one package with little to nothing done to change their presentation.

Kazza

Might as well claim it's depressing gog.com exists as it started out by selling us the oldies we wanted to (re)play, as they were with maybe a fix or two for modern OS. Also you weren't happy when Sony (or similarly Microsoft) made this or that particular PlayStation (1/2) game you wanted to have again available on PSN etc.? Didn't Resident Evil 4 (and Remake, and others) sell quite a lot (and was regardless considered a good thing) with all the re-releases the last couple of generations (and even got negative comments for tampered hd-fied assets most recently as people preferred the original)? FFVII and others by Square were re-released as they were on all kinds of platforms too. How many times have you wished SEGA would give us Saturn and Dreamcast classics on modern systems by now anyway? And if you haven't and I remember wrong, what's wrong with you, lol. Anything else is not justified by such weak arguments that sound like salty repressed feelings.

Here's a single PS2 era game, never mind a bundle that includes one of those, one older and one newer, by sweet Square.

Here's a PS1 game, I wonder how much that 20 would be if it was offered with a couple more of them, huh. Evil Nintendo.

I don't quite know if you're being deliberately obtuse so that you have an excuse to start an argument for absolutely no reason whatsoever (what's the matter, been a rough week?), or if you genuinely don't understand the (very simple and easy to grasp) point I'm making. Assuming it's the later (because if it's the former then it's kind of pointless even having this discussion at all) let me explain:

What I did was compare this Nintendo effort with similar recent releases. The Crash Trilogy was contained 3 fully remade games and sold for just £35, whereas this Mario collection is just 3 super basic ports selling for £50. Do I really need to elaborate on this point further?

How many times have you wished SEGA would give us Saturn and Dreamcast classics on modern systems by now anyway? And if you haven't and I remember wrong, what's wrong with you, lol. Anything else is not justified by such weak arguments that sound like salty repressed feelings.

Why would me advocating modern Saturn and Dreamcast ports undermine anything I said in my post? What makes you think you've landed some kind of sassy gotcha here? If a company want to release a super basic port then fine, but the price should reflect that (as it does on GOG, where these old ports have low prices to match, not a £50 price tag). The Dreamcast HD ports (JSR, Crazy Taxi etc) during the previous gen were all £6/$10, which was a fair price. You can get 6 of them here (plus Nights as a bonus) for £25 on Steam, and that's the non-sale price. If Skies of Arcadia gets the same treatment, then I would expect a similar price (maybe bump it up to £8/£9 due to inflation and all that). If for example Sega were to announce a compilation consisting of bare-bones HD ports of the 3 Saturn Panzer Dragoon games for £50, then I would criticise that too (£20 would be a more fair price). If on the other hand they want to go to the effort of completely remaking them and sell them individually for $25 a pop (as Forever Entertainment have started to do), then that sounds much more reasonable.

Is this really so difficult to understand? Most people here got the point already from my original post without the need for this much more long-winded explanation, right?

Alexios Alexios , you're the VR guy, right? Apart from games, I'm sure you another....ahem....collection for your VR set. If you've had a bad week, then why not just log off GAF for the afternoon, stick that headset on and find some release.....another way, instead of trying to find beef where there is no beef to be had?

bh90xkZ.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

My fear is that its gonna get overshadowed but then again it already is. I barely see anyone talking about this game.

And they put lots of effort to put English dub in the game. This game is gonna be most overlooked game this year or even generation.

Unless it's a big AAA title such as TLOU, end of gen titles are always in danger of being overlooked. Hopefully it won't get buried under all the next gen hype. With those kind of more niche games I think it's more important than ever that they go multi-plat in order to maximise sales. Hopefully Atlus will start this with Vanillaware titles now that they are proting Persona.

Danjin44

I think it's more important than ever that they go multi-plat in order to maximise sales. Hopefully Atlus will start this with Vanillaware titles now that they are proting Persona.
I agree, I LOVE Vanillaware games it really doesn't deserved to be overlooked and I'm beyond hype for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and it gotten so many positives previews and reviews but people barely pay attention to this game.

Kazza

I agree, I LOVE Vanillaware games it really doesn't deserved to be overlooked and I'm beyond hype for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and it gotten so many positives previews and reviews but people barely pay attention to this game.

Well, look on the bright side, at least you're not a Shenmue fan, where every thread attracts the usual haters (although sometimes being hated is better than being ignored) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I used to worry a bit about Vanillaware, but now I'm confident that someone like Sega would step in to buy them up if they ever did get into financial trouble. I think there are too many people in the industry who recognise their talent to allow them to go under.

Maybe they will have a big breakout hit one day. In the meantime, try to enjoy the "I liked them before they were cool" period.

BTW (final message before we derail the thread), is there any news about what new game they are working on right now?

Shaqazooloo

You mean where they took 3 classic Mario games and redid the graphics from the ground up to take advantage of the new hardware?

I'm not seeing that here. This is just 3 classic games ported together in one package with little to nothing done to change their presentation.
I think he means with it being a limited release.

Danjin44

BTW (final message before we derail the thread), is there any news about what new game they are working on right now?
Currently, no idea, 13 Sentinels released in Japan last year and that game took a long time to finish.

belmarduk

I don't think they're resting on their laurels at all. BotW2 is just around the corner. We would have had 3D World + this year too if COVID hadn't nearly halted their development pipeline. It sucks, but that's a cultural fact for Japan (can't go to office == can't work much).

BotW2 is "in development" as of June 2019. We have no idea if its around the corner or not. I know that Japan has the technology to work from home, they aren't Pakistan.

Bog

Junior Ace
Who honestly gives a shit if it’s only available for 6 months? When they made the Wii Mario 25th thing it was around for about a week. We’ve improved!

What's with some of these incredibly dumb "What else are Switch owners going to buy" posts? This 3D collection is crushing across all platforms, not just Switch.

that's the very reason why

60+ million switch users have nothing else to expect for the year, so they're pouring all their money on yet more old games

other platforms have plenty of new games to choose from

Last edited:
that's the very reason why

60+ million switch users have nothing else to expect for the year, so they're pouring all their money on yet more old games

other platforms have plenty of new games to choose from

How many of those Switch users don’t only another console or game on PC? I own a PS4 and I own more Switch games. I choose to buy Nintendo games because I like them better than what the competition offers. I’m sure plenty of Switch owners could buy other games on other console too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I might get this, but I'm actually more excited for pikmin.

honestly, though I'm ok with collections like this because some games just need to live on

i would pay full price for mass effect trilogy straight ported to switch with no upgrades

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This is why you don't get new games.

Yep, if we were to just stop buying these games that we want to play Nintendo might not have been so affected by Covid and maybe we might have got an Animal Crossing or maybe a new Paper Mario this year. How awful we are.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how many cancel? I got caught up in the “limited time only” hype. I immediately preordered it on Amazon. Few hours later I asked myself “why?” and cancelled.

Wonder how many give no fucks about limited time only and simply pre-ordered a guaranteed excellent game to save themselves the hassle of doing it later because they really want that fantastic set of games?

Top Bottom