• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-game adverts are coming to Xbox and PlayStation games

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"PlayStation and Xbox users may soon be experiencing in-game ads and recent rumours suggest that Sony and Microsoft are in the process of developing programs to integrate ads.

Over the last decade we have seen this more and more, with the number of free-to-play titles on the rise, the addition of microtransactions and ads within the game allow these games to remain free.

Now, it looks as if Microsoft and Sony are planning on following suit as they reportedly have plans to integrate in-game ads alongside paid cosmetics and Battle Passes.

Thanks to a recent report from Business Insider, it seems that both companies are currently developing a new program that will give businesses the ability to purchase in game advertising space.

““Three people who are involved in the plans said Sony is doing testing with adtech partners to help game developers create in-game ads through a software developer program. The idea is to encourage developers to keep building free-to-play games, which have soared in the pandemic, by giving them a way to monetize them, they said”.

From the report, it is likely that we will see this happen before this year draws to a close, it also went into detail regarding how the ads will actually work.

“For the ads to appear like they’re part of the game, like digital billboards in sports stadiums. Formats could include ads that give viewers rewards for watching ads and promotions for in-game items like avatar skins.”

It is unclear just what kind of impact this will have on the gaming industry, but in the meantime be sure to check back with us at Gamerficial for the latest news and updates."

Wouldn't grind my gears in a free to play title, but I wouldn't be surprised if EA would put them up on the BF 2042 red containers everywhere, in which case

team america vomit GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ads already exist in games not sure what they’ve uncovered here.
Yep. It's a part of the ad packages they purchase so you can have real ads on your billboards in games like GT7, other sports games, etc..

I do not mind them at all when they are fitting to the product, and it adds to the overall real life immersion in those types of games.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yep. It's a part of the ad packages they purchase so you can have real ads on your billboards in games like GT7, other sports games, etc..

I do not mind them at all when they are fitting to the product, and it adds to the overall real life immersion in those types of games.

For racing/sports games I don't see a problem with it. It would be awkward to see current advertisements in a game set in the past or future, any setting that isn't just a modern city.

Last edited:

Starhowl

You mean like "American Express"-advertising as in Final Fantasy XV, released in 2016, six years ago? :pie_thinking:

The cringy part about it is the real-life thing inside a game whose title includes the word "fantasy". :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

pqueue

gamers can fix this pretty easily with an easy solution.

When an advert is put in a game, gamers everywhere should spam the advertiser with really crappy reviews and thoughts on their products across twitter, facebook and youtube to the point NONE of them every want their product in a game again.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
"PlayStation and Xbox users may soon be experiencing in-game ads and recent rumours suggest that Sony and Microsoft are in the process of developing programs to integrate ads.

Over the last decade we have seen this more and more, with the number of free-to-play titles on the rise, the addition of microtransactions and ads within the game allow these games to remain free.

Now, it looks as if Microsoft and Sony are planning on following suit as they reportedly have plans to integrate in-game ads alongside paid cosmetics and Battle Passes.

Thanks to a recent report from Business Insider, it seems that both companies are currently developing a new program that will give businesses the ability to purchase in game advertising space.

““Three people who are involved in the plans said Sony is doing testing with adtech partners to help game developers create in-game ads through a software developer program. The idea is to encourage developers to keep building free-to-play games, which have soared in the pandemic, by giving them a way to monetize them, they said”.

From the report, it is likely that we will see this happen before this year draws to a close, it also went into detail regarding how the ads will actually work.

“For the ads to appear like they’re part of the game, like digital billboards in sports stadiums. Formats could include ads that give viewers rewards for watching ads and promotions for in-game items like avatar skins.”

It is unclear just what kind of impact this will have on the gaming industry, but in the meantime be sure to check back with us at Gamerficial for the latest news and updates."

[/URL]

Wouldn't grind my gears in a free to play title, but I wouldn't be surprised if EA would put them up on the BF 2042 red containers everywhere, in which case

team america vomit GIF
Where's the part about Microsoft? All I see is Sony testing according to the article.

DaGwaphics

Where's the part about Microsoft? All I see is Sony testing according to the article.

MS has also been rumored to be in the early stages of prepping a live ads platform for gaming/media. I'm thinking that eventually we will see the static sponsorships that have appeared in games (particular billboards and things like that) replaced with live ads that can be updated/selected based on information about the user, location, etc. If it's not intrusive it's no big deal, but anything forced on something that isn't F2P and I'm out. I'm really surprised we haven't seen ads in games like Fortnite already, in place of the time spent running around waiting for the match to start, etc. Captive eyes and all that.

Last edited:

35cent

This is more sophisticated (and more intrusive) than previous examples of ads in gaming so I think it sounds like a shitty idea but I'll still post this example of advertisement in gaming anyway because nostalgia

james-pond-2-penguin-screen-amiga.jpg

mcvitiespenguin.png

Liamario

Banned
I'd have tolerance for specific types of passive advertisement. When the advert helps with immersion for example (real world settings). But when they become interactive, I'm out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They're all going to do it. $$$

DaGwaphics

This is more sophisticated (and more intrusive) than previous examples of ads in gaming so I think it sounds like a shitty idea but I'll still post this example of advertisement in gaming anyway because nostalgia

mcvitiespenguin.png

Was that an actual product? WTF is a chocolate biscuit?

GHG

Gold Member
Keep accepting every crap they throw a you, morons.

I'd say in an ideal world the industry just falls flat on its face and crashes so that we can go back to basics.

Too many people in this industry just chasing money instead of focusing on what made it as big as it is today - the creative side.

If they keep it to just free to play trash, you deserve what you pay for. They should offer a way to pay for "ad-free". Like it's a kindle. My advice, spend real money on great games.

mcvitiespenguin.png
I thought it said 'one of the chocolate biscuits in the world' 🤣

kyussman

I've no issue with them filling free to play games with as much shit as they can......it's not like I'm ever gonna play one.

spawn

They're already doing it in $60 and $70 games. Look at Death Stranding and Monster Energy drinks.

35cent

Was that an actual product? WTF is a chocolate biscuit?
They're a biscuit bar the that had 2 layers of chocolate biscuit with chocolate cream in the middle. They're sold in the UK and Ireland and probably other places as well. They usually have crappy jokes on the back of the packet as well. If you're Australian then they're basically just a Tim Tam. I guess the ads in the game worked as I had a load of Penguin bars around the house and in my packed school lunch as a kid lol.

Day1.jpg

DaGwaphics

They're a biscuit bar the that had 2 layers of chocolate biscuit with chocolate cream in the middle. They're sold in the UK and Ireland and probably other places as well. They usually have crappy jokes on the back of the packet as well. If you're Australian then they're basically just a Tim Tam. I guess the ads in the game worked as I had a load of Penguin bars around the house and in my packed school lunch as a kid lol.

Day1.jpg

Ah, ok, it's a regional thing. In the states that would be called a cookie bar or chocolate bar or something like that. We don't really use biscuit that way, a biscuit to us is either of the breakfast or dinner variety and not as much of a dessert (though cinnamon morning biscuits kind of are).

Basically just: https://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Foolproof-Flaky-Biscuits1.jpg

Last edited:

Beechos

Where is all this advertising money coming from? Are advertising budgets for companies balloning so much to feed this need?

Aenima

Can't wait for Xbox ads to appear on the next Call of Duty while I'm playing it on my PS5.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals
If you play Fifa on Xbox you will see Playstation ads during Champions League games. Thats cuz Playstation is one of the official sponsors for the Champions League.

m0kwo0u9ufm11.png

Anyway, this is old news. Its ads for Free 2 Play games to help monetize the games on consoles. Something that most F2P games on mobile has been doing for decades.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I would think ads would eventually become part of game pass. A quick 15 second splash screen or something, not talking in-game placements.

Top Bottom