• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In an industry plagued by stagnation and monotony, "I never would have proposed making Pentiment without Game Pass" - Josh Sawyer

Ozriel

M$FT
Because the topic wording is click bait at best and the narrative that somehow Microsoft and gamepass is going to "save" gaming is tiring.

The funny thing is none of this really has to do with what Sawyer said.

There is nobody in this thread pushing the narrative that 'MS and gamepass is going to save gaming'.
"I would never had proposed making pentiment without Gamepass" is pretty much a direct quote from Josh Sawyer.

In an industry plagued by stagnation and monotony, "I never would have proposed making Pentiment without Game Pass" - Josh Sawyer​

Is the quote above real?

The part in quotes is real.

gothmog

Gold Member
There is nobody in this thread pushing the narrative that 'MS and gamepass is going to save gaming'.
"I would never had proposed making pentiment without Gamepass" is pretty much a direct quote from Josh Sawyer.

The part in quotes is real.
"In an industry plagued by stagnation and monotony" is fucking click bait when the discussion really was not really about the industry. He spoke mostly about his personal journey to get the game made and how Xbox/GamePass allowed him to have the opportunity. Most of that centered around how it would have been absurd to ask for 10 or more top developers to work on a passion project, especially at Obsidian when they were basically circling the drain financially for a while. Xbox not only saved the company, but also supported him on his project. It also seemed like they had some prototypes to show Xbox leadership so it was not just a project proposal as much as a proof of concept they wanted greenlit. I know I have personally gotten more successful responses to risky proposals by showing a good prototype so that really hit home for me.

These kind of success stories can be told without wrapping it in bullshit.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
"In an industry plagued by stagnation and monotony" is fucking click bait when the discussion really was not really about the industry. He spoke mostly about his personal journey to get the game made and how Xbox/GamePass allowed him to have the opportunity. Most of that centered around how it would have been absurd to ask for 10 or more top developers to work on a passion project, especially at Obsidian when they were basically circling the drain financially for a while. Xbox not only saved the company, but also supported him on his project. It also seemed like they had some prototypes to show Xbox leadership so it was not just a project proposal as much as a proof of concept they wanted greenlit. I know I have personally gotten more successful responses to risky proposals by showing a good prototype so that really hit home for me.

These kind of success stories can be told without wrapping it in bullshit.

And he told the success story without wrapping it in any bullshit. Which is what the meat of the thread is about. 99.9% of the conversation in this thread has been centered around his claim that he wouldn't have made the pitch for the game if not for GP.
The bit about 'stagnation and monotony' is an unfortunate addition to the OP, but it hasn't meaningfully steered the conversation here. Nobody in the thread itself is pushing the 'GP is saving gaming' narrative you spoke about.

Stop using that headline as a crutch. This thread is overrun with warring and very little of that has to do with headline editorializing.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Hellblade / TLOU / Ragnarok / etc: linear story that you cannot influence in any way.

Games Sawyer makes/likes: open narratives where you can influence the story.

If it’s too complicated for you just wait 30 seconds and an NPC will give you a hint

And?
Still a bunch of talking sims with bad combat and crappy voice acting at best.

Wait 30 seconds and get a lifeless NPC conversation and some glitchy bugs….

Last edited:

Chukhopops

And?
Still a bunch of talking sims with bad combat and crappy voice acting at best.

Wait 30 seconds and get a lifeless NPC conversation and some glitchy bugs….
Nobody aside from you is calling RPGs « talking sims ». If you prefer linear, simple stories that’s your prerogative.

Sawyer just prefers different types of storytelling so he focuses on those, end of story.

Kokoloko85

Nobody aside from you is calling RPGs « talking sims ». If you prefer linear, simple stories that’s your prerogative.

Sawyer just prefers different types of storytelling so he focuses on those, end of story.

And Only retards calls games like GOWR and Uncharted walking sims.
lol its not sawyers games are deep stories, they are pretty simple too. But they are talking sims, with bad combat, end of story.

lol its not sawyers games are deep stories, they are pretty simple too. But they are talking sims, with bad combat, end of story.

Again, only you are calling GOW, Uncharted etc walking sims.

They might have walking sections, new one seems to have garnered quiet a reputation. It's not a walking sim, that's why it feels out of place.

Chukhopops

Simple games like Alpha Protocol, New Vegas or Pillars of Eternity 2… I think that says more about you than about those games.

Luckily there are games like Uncharted made for your type of audience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
After playing a decent chunk of Pentiment yesterday, the biggest misconception in this thread is that he's saying the game is niche just because it's a visual novel / adventure game. That's really just a small part of why it's niche. It's also incredibly niche due to the setting, the dialogue, the subject matter. It's almost more of a historical / educational game than anything else. You have to want to know about detailed aspects of European history, Christianity. It's like taking a Western Civ college class but as a video game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The most weird thing thing about gamepass is that it has made me play some games that I wouldn't have otherwise, and not the AAA one'.
I can say the same thing about PS Plus and EA Play.

It's less about GP being great but more about subscription models becoming modern-day bargain bins where you pick up cheap games that you wouldn't even look at if they didn't cost close to nothing, and hope that it'll be something fun to kill a couple of afternoons with.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

After playing a decent chunk of Pentiment yesterday, the biggest misconception in this thread is that he's saying the game is niche just because it's a visual novel / adventure game. That's really just a small part of why it's niche. It's also incredibly niche due to the setting, the dialogue, the subject matter. It's almost more of a historical / educational game than anything else. You have to want to know about detailed aspects of European history, Christianity. It's like taking a Western Civ college class but as a video game.
Yep, I must say. .and I don't mean this in an elitist or "game snob" way but it's really nice to see the industry bringing out games such as Pentiment that has some real meat on its bones as far as story telling is concerned, of course the style of game Pentiment is lends itself to that sort of narrative.

Be nice to get some more of these point and click/VN style games from the big players in gaming. They make for a nice "wind down" game after pumping hours into the latest AAAA blockbuster.

Kokoloko85

Simple games like Alpha Protocol, New Vegas or Pillars of Eternity 2… I think that says more about you than about those games.

Luckily there are games like Uncharted made for your type of audience.
No I think you guys just act like there story is deep when its not. There nothing special, unless your just that simple…

Kokoloko85

Again, only you are calling GOW, Uncharted etc walking sims.

They might have walking sections, new one seems to have garnered quiet a reputation. It's not a walking sim, that's why it feels out of place.
Uh, I think you should look at all the comments on here or online calling them walking sims by xbox/pc fans.

I dont think they are walking sims btw, just the jealous retards call it that to downplay a great game

Last edited:
No I think you guys just act like there story is deep when its not. There nothing special, unless your just that simple…

Not deep but flexible.

When you see ending of such a game, you realise the amount of influence you had on the game world and story.

Uh, I think you should look at all the comments on here or online calling them walking sims by xbox/pc fans.

I dont think they are walking sims btw, just the jealous retards call it that to downplay a great game

Not doing any favours to your point.

Maybe just ignore them instead of doing same thing ?

Kokoloko85

Not deep but flexible.

When you see ending of such a game, you realise the amount of influence you had on the game world and story.

Flexible yeah. Good, not so sure about that. Id say something like Bioshock has a better story or Spec Ops. Or

Not doing any favours to your point.

Maybe just ignore them instead of doing same thing ?

I dunno, doesnt bother me. It sure pisses them off though which is fun. And TBH, they are talking sims with mostly awful combat, Im not really making anything up

Flexible yeah. Good, not so sure about that. Id say something like Bioshock has a better story or Spec Ops. Or

This is flowchart for one of the side quests in Fallout New Vegas. Main quest I don't think will even be possible to represent like this without oversimplification.

qKRFoXj.jpg

You wanna call it simple talking simulator, sure go ahead. No one will believe you though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man like 8 indie games have releases this year just like it.

Norco, Return to Monkey Island, Immortality, etc. this guy comes off as someone sniffing their own farts.

Hipster levels of cringe.

Throw that dude a AAA budget and he'd creampie his knickers.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This is flowchart for one of the side quests in Fallout New Vegas. Main quest I don't think will even be possible to represent like this without oversimplification.

qKRFoXj.jpg

You wanna call it simple talking simulator, sure go ahead. No one will believe you though.

Again, I said the story is simple altogether, nothing ground breaking.
My point is, its still talking sim with bad combat. If that offends anyone thats there own personal view, I like RPGs. But it is, what it is

Roberts

I'm playing the game right now and one thing becomes clear as I get further into the story: This might not be an expensive game per se, but it is clearly not a cheap indie that some really enthusiastic developers can make just like that. The levels of detail and characterisation is insanely deep. A game like this needs enormous amount of research and knowledge. It doesn't need a lot of people to make it, but they have to be fucking exceptional at what they do. So, in a way it is a bit risky project.

You can call Josh Sawyer what you want, but he is pretty much the a top3 writer in games right now based on this game. So, in my book he can say whatever the fuck he wants.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im in the later parts of the game. One theme hiding in plain site underneath all the major plot points is that the distribution method that we communicate shapes our communication. Whether its books that have to be laboriously handpainted by master artists and protected for a privileged few, printed books that are more accessible to all classes, or even letters that can travel by courier during times of peace for more immediate correspondence. Gamepass and subscriptions are a new distribution method for games, and like every other form of art and communication that method of distribution influences the communication itself greatly.

Are cringey elitist comments apart of that deal?
God bless you. 😇

Gojiira

Banned
What games like pentiment exist that are from larger studios?
Deracine by From software, as previous poster pointed out Dreams/ Little Big Planet by Media Molecule, The Puppeteer by Japan Studio, Medieval etc etc.

This narrative that without Game Pass there would be nothing like Pentiment is absolute horse shit, if anything the stagnation in gaming is from the over abundance of indie titles not the lack of them, and bigger studios most definitely do occasionally produce smaller experimental games.

Top Bottom