• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive launch versus games with legs

cormack12

Gold Member
I think about this at time when there's a game that looks really decent but I don't have time for it and it's usually single player e.g. Borderlands 3 launched and had a massive opening, but I only just picked it up in a sale for like £16. Then there is Control which I picked up at launch which didn't do huge numbers but really had legs given its impressive word of mouth.

How does that affect the business and devs do you think. Obviously they all want a massive launch for momentum but do they have more sensible goals as well? Would games be labelled a flop too soon if in two years it's actually sold quite well over the lifetime just not in the launch window. Does it affect studio morale etc

Kuranghi

There's a girl who lives down the road from me with long legs and a massive opening.

I paid £40 for BL3 at launch on PC and couldn't get into it, I was burnt out from BL2 (1000+ hours) and it wasnt different enough for me. How are you liking it?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
There's a girl who lives down the road from me with long legs and a massive opening.

I paid £40 for BL3 at launch on PC and couldn't get into it, I was burnt out from BL2 (1000+ hours) and it wasnt different enough for me. How are you liking it?
Where do you live? Asking for a friend.

cormack12

Gold Member

I'm actually loving it but weirdly enough i didnt really like the handsome collection when i tried it at my bro's.

It was a level where you were chasing captain jack and ended up fighting this flamethrower guy on platforms that was frustrating as fuck in the opening missions so just pressed abort.

ViolentP

I think it's hard to plan for. Wasn't Among Us out and available for a long stretch of time and it wasn't until some time later that the stars aligned and it became a phenomenon? How can one possibly design around such variability?

Doczu

It all depends if you're self publishing or not. Investors want a quick RoI, legs (even though great) may not be a viable option for them in the long run due to cash flow.

Kuranghi

Where do you live? Asking for a friend.
47B9514D00000578-5231521-Slag_Lane_in_Lowton_Lancashire_occupied_third_place_on_the_recen-a-5_1514995937629.jpg

Kuranghi

I'm actually loving it but weirdly enough i didnt really like the handsome collection when i tried it at my bro's.

It was a level where you were chasing captain jack and ended up fighting this flamethrower guy on platforms that was frustrating as fuck in the opening missions so just pressed abort.

See if you ever go back to it, before you get to that ship (I think you mean the guy on the elevated pirate ship right?), kill the boss guys in the first area before that one - they are the couple of guys on the old battleship and one of them is a midget - over and over until they drop their legendary grenade (if you don't get the drop reload and you can just run from the starting hub town where you meet hammerlock straight to the boss battle, ignore the enemies on the way), its so fucking fun, it makes your grenade explodes into 10 grenades, so you can throw 3 grenades and its like throwing 30. Its possible to get a version of it with "x2" on it as well and then you will get 20 from each throw.

If that makes no sense you prob played a different game haha

Now I just want to play BL2 again, farming bosses is so fucking fun in it, I just love finding the perfect reload point and drilling the first bullymong boss over and over, if you are loading on PC you can kill him like once every 30 seconds if you are good and get his legendary which is a double shot acidic pistol, its great fun having that early on.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think most studios would prefer huge sales up fropnt and poor legs, over avergae launch sales but great legs. Its like the movie business in that sense.
I think its why PC often gets dodgy ports as on PC launch sales tend to be lower than launch sales on console, but games have much longer consistent legs on PC.

Top Bottom