• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive 60fps Nintendo Switch Patches

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A rumored new Nintendo Switch revision is coming in 2021. Speculation is high about its specs, will it include 4k, HDR, DLSS? Based on real world overclocking tests and performance patches, I expect a smaller jump to smoothen out performance by 15-25% at most. In this episode we take a look at some 60fps patches for Switch titles and discuss whats next for Nintendo.

Impressive, impressive... still runs games at 240p !

New Switch revision should simply add a SCART RGB output.
Those who expect Nintendo to actually try and compete in the specs wars/power race with Sony and Microsoft with the Switch 2/Pro/Etc while Nintendo are still maintaining their mindset of not taking a loss on new hardware are truly beyond saving and didn't learn from history.

cireza

Banned
Those who expect Nintendo to actually try and compete in the specs wars/power race with Sony and Microsoft with the Switch 2/Pro/Etc while Nintendo are still maintaining their mindset of not taking a loss on new hardware are truly beyond saving and didn't learn from history.

Having a good quality RGB output to plug on the console on a CRT would greatly help, especially as CRT are much better for low framerates, as they don't have any movement blur.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If they release a revision which is questionable knowing Nintendo I expect it to be more on level with Xbox one / PS4 levels at best

TLZ

Banned
Well, RGB Scart output would actually be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind hooking it up to my CRT TV! I Mean, RGB output looks glorious, unlike shitty useless RF 😁

But yeah, that would be very retro 😅
That's the whole point! When I was a kid, all I cared about was seeing a picture on the TV, and I was game. I just wanted to play. Not a care in the world.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think keeping the res 1080p but trying to get a solid 60FPS on the likes of Xenoblade would go a long way. Things like Mario Kart feel so slick because of 60FPS. Anything outside of that and staying cost effective in a portable format is just a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Maestr0

What I'm really interested in is how the next tegra or anything else will turn out. While everyone is masturbating of the lastest AMD or Nvidia GPU, the least power consuming GPU, we still have no idea what is coming.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I expect a revision with games running at max (with luck) 1440p. 60fps thou is much better, so would be nice to have an option of performance or quality

Also, 10 to 15%?! This is closer to last revision than 3DS to New 3DS

Blond

Banned
What I'm really interested in is how the next tegra or anything else will turn out. While everyone is masturbating of the lastest AMD or Nvidia GPU, the least power consuming GPU, we still have no idea what is coming.

I wish Nintendo could work out an impossible deal with Apple to use their M1 chips. That thing is playing AAA games are decent settings, unheard of for something mobile.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm not expecting a huge improvement. can't see them putting in a 1080p screen. should just keep it 720p. when docked it could run at 1440p. that's a nice sweetspot between 1080-2160p. that way people with 1080p screens get a cleaner image and those on 4K screens won't have a completely blurry mess. native 4K is just too demanding for something like a switch. the best chance at 4K would be if nvidia let them use DLSS so they could run games at 1080-1440p when docked then it will upscale to 2160p.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People still hoping for Switch 4K lmao

Ban me for a month if they make a Switch with a 4K screen, believers feel free to take the bet

f3c.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wish Nintendo could work out an impossible deal with Apple to use their M1 chips. That thing is playing AAA games are decent settings, unheard of for something mobile.
they don't need to make a deal with Apple. Sure, what Apple are doing is great but ultimately M1 is just an ARM chip. Nvidia owns ARM and Nintendo already have a deal with them.

i will be surprised if we don't get an ARM Switch at some point. the question then is can Nvidia/Nintendo engineers compete with what Apple are doing? i think Nvidia could outperform Apple. imagine an "M1" chip that also has support for raytracing (not that i expect Switch to have RTX lol) + more importantly DLSS.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Man, a proper mid-gen refresh/upgrade or whatever you wanna' call it would be fantastic for me. Love the Switch, even though I don't play it as much as I did a while ago (also because fuckin' ShopTo still haven't delivered me my fuckin' copy of Age of Calamity, cunts).

Kuranghi

Having a good quality RGB output to plug on the console on a CRT would greatly help, especially as CRT are much better for low framerates, as they don't have any movement blur.

The motion on 2020 OLEDs has matched and even surpassed Plasma motion according to Vincent Teoh, let alone CRT motion, so no need to use lower res/size CRTs/Plasmas anymore:

Thats a very expensive OLED ofc, but I wonder how much a 2nd hand ZT65 costs? :pie_thinking: Also, if there is less "blur" generated by the display then lower framerate content will look worse actually, because you'll see every frame clearly and it will stutter. This happens on modern OLED TVs with 24/30hz content. Thats what helps it look so clear in higher fps content though so its a good tradeoff for most.

Reason why not to care about Nintendo.

Fake

Switch PRO need to:

- Runs Nintendo games at full 1080p with AA
- Use some sort of DLSS or CB solution for those who have 4K tvs.

I had thought people understood that Nintendo views hardware as a means to convey the software they want... they don't give a shit about power competitions... I guess not.

Murdoch

The switch doesn't and shouldn't target 4K. It should go with a DLSS implementation that could improve older games to boot.

As a side note; how bad is stadia? That service won't last another year! :messenger_grinning_sweat: amirite!

cireza

Banned
Thats a very expensive OLED ofc, but I wonder how much a 2nd hand ZT65 costs? :pie_thinking: Also, if there is less "blur" generated by the display then lower framerate content will look worse actually, because you'll see every frame clearly and it will stutter. This happens on modern OLED TVs with 24/30hz content. Thats what helps it look so clear in higher fps content though so its a good tradeoff for most.
The lower the framerate, the more movement blur you get. That OLED might have very low movement blur, but my CRT TV is 20 inches. OLED are 50+ inches, that's way too big.

Kuranghi

The lower the framerate, the more movement blur you get. That OLED might have very low movement blur, but my CRT TV is 20 inches. OLED are 50+ inches, that's way too big.

Your eyes create the blur based on how the images are presented to you, the lower framerate itself has no "movement blur", its just that because each frame is static on the screen for longer (On an OLED the frame is presented extremely fast, so you are left starting at a static image for most of the frame-time, which means your eyes add tons of blur when the frame suddenly "jumps" as the next frame is drawn).

The blur is determined by our eyes, not the content itself, so thats why BFI can help make sample and hold based technologie's motion look as good as Plasma/CRT. You do have to sit an approprioate distance from big OLEDs though yeah, otherwise it looks far too stuttery, BFI fixes this to an extend but you'd still want to be at the recommended viewing distance.

How close do you sit to the 20" CRT? 3 feet?

Last edited:
What I did was attached a mirror to the top of the Switch and angled the Switch screen toward a puddle. This lets me see the Switch game reflecting off the puddle to give me Raytracing at no cost to performance.

I'm thinking of pitching this to Mark Cuban if I can get on Shark Tank.

lachesis

TBH, I would be just grateful if they can have 1080p/60fps docked, and 720p/60fps portable.
DLSS, 4k and all sound really nice, but I don't think they are within the budget for Nintendo. They'll probably do their best to keep the current pricing and give a minor boost up, like when they did with 3DS with right stick.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am fine with the rez, but 60 fps on all games would be amazing.
I think Switch games look great as they are.

Guess for ports of future games to the Switch, they'd need to update the hardware a good bit, though.
Would be amazing if it if it could be locked 720 60fps handheld mode and 1080p 60fps docked. But as is I don’t mind. Just having more third party port options is great.

cireza

Banned
its just that because each frame is static on the screen for longer
I know how it works, and this is obviously what I meant as it is the consequence of low framerate.

How close do you sit to the 20" CRT? 3 feet?
The matter is not the distance, it is the price. Having a 20" CRT TV is cheap and it can be placed easily in your house. Having to buy a 55" OLED to have the same (maybe not even as good) motion clarity is a sad joke to me.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I know how it works, and this is obviously what I meant as it is the consequence of low framerate.

The matter is not the distance, it is the price. Having a 20" CRT TV is cheap and it can be placed easily in your house. Having to buy a 55" OLED to have the same (maybe not even as good) motion clarity is a sad joke to me.

Apologies for ranting at you, I wasn't asking about the viewing distance to make a point out of it, I was genuinely curious. I don't wanna argue about OLED vs CRT, I love CRT as well.

cireza

Banned
Apologies for ranting at you, I wasn't asking about the viewing distance to make a point out of it, I was genuinely curious. I don't wanna argue about OLED vs CRT, I love CRT as well.
I see. The answer is that I play pretty close to my CRT, about 1.5 meter, and will get closer for some precision game (like shmups). It is a rather small screen after all.

Last edited:

Hugare

I believe that the Switch Pro will do 4k with DLSS, rendering the image at 1080p

Done, Nintendo would be able to use "4k" in marketing

DLSS would be a huge get for the Switch Pro.

Borderline essential

HF2014

100% behind what you said. Nintendo dont need the top spec hardware to sell.

Top Bottom