• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm tired of waiting for the Switch Pro ... so I'll buy a Switch Lite.

Nickolaidas

Banned
There's a rumor that the Switch Pro is going to be docked only. So buying the Switch Lite will allow me to enjoy the Switch games in portable manner. Also, I cannot bear to play Switch games in docked mode at 720p on my 4K TV - they'll look like shit. So, portable format only until Nintendo releases a docked Switch which will support 4K.

Say, how are the graphics in handheld mode in terms of aliasing? Is it noticeable or does the Switch have good anti-aliasing? I remember my nephew showing me Pokemon Sword and Shield in his handheld Switch and I noticed a lot of aliasing.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Wait a bit longer, switch can barely run a game above 20 frames in handheld mode. as much as I love their games their consoles are lacking power to run their own games. Hopefully we get some info about new switch by the end of summer
Oh shit - really? I had no idea that framerate is affected in handheld mode. This sucks.

cireza

Banned
There's a rumor that the Switch Pro is going to be docked only. So buying the Switch Lite will allow me to enjoy the Switch games in portable manner. Also, I cannot bear to play Switch games in docked mode at 720p on my 4K TV - they'll look like shit. So, portable format only until Nintendo releases a docked Switch which will support 4K.

Say, how are the graphics in handheld mode in terms of aliasing? Is it noticeable or does the Switch have good anti-aliasing? I remember my nephew showing me Pokemon Sword and Shield in his handheld Switch and I noticed a lot of aliasing.
You should choose your Switch model depending on the games you want to play.

If you want the "big" 3D action games, we should take the standard console with dock and a Pro Controller. Don't expect miracles for these games in terms of resolution and framerate.

If you want handheld experience (2D games, turn based games) then you should take the Lite.

Okamiden

I feel for you man. I also don't know what to do right now with Switch pro being a hoax with each month. I was waiting for it for about a year for exactly the reason that most current games, especially multiplats, can't even run in 720p native and look blurry as hell and chipset inside console is 7 years old with console itself more than 4 years from inception. And the most depressing thing - this shit is still sells like crazy. I'm starting to lose my faith in soonish release of new version.

Last edited:

waquzy

Not worth it, it's Lite after all, in other words, it's a compromised Switch. Not worth your money, if you are a hardcore gamer imo

killatopak

Gold Member
car drifting GIF

DonF

Docked switch games look fine on my 55" 4k tv.
As other users pointed out, I would never buy a lite cause of stick drift. If it happens, your console would be pointless.

Fbh

At this point I'd honestly wait unless you are desperate for SMTV or the new Metroid.

Seems like a lot of the heavy hitters (BOTW2, Prime 4, maybe some new 3D Mario) will be late 2022 at the earliest.

Oh shit - really? I had no idea that framerate is affected in handheld mode. This sucks.

It's not really that bad.
Not all games have lower framerate in handheld mode (many of the big ones don't) and even when they do it's usually drops from 30 and not "struggling to run above 20fps".
Like as an example, the initial analysis from DF of Monster Hunter Rise shows the performance between handheld and docked is basically identical.

In my experience with OG switch the hit to resolution and IQ is usually way more noticeable than performance

A docked only switch would defeat the entire purpose and marketing of the hybrid device

What a weird rumor

Switch is called Switch because it switches between the two modes

That makes 0 sense
Well I mean, nintendo DID create the 2DS:

71xAT9-afYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The 3DS with no 3D and no clamshell design

Ozzie666

Lite was very difficult to read text in a lot of games. I am sure some of it age related and bad eyes, but developers don't seem to take this into account. The normal model is somewhat better. It's funny, I don't recall these issues at all with GBA or DS.

Grechy34

Lite was very difficult to read text in a lot of games. I am sure some of it age related and bad eyes, but developers don't seem to take this into account. The normal model is somewhat better. It's funny, I don't recall these issues at all with GBA or DS.

I have terrible eyes but anything smaller then the lite screen and any resolution higher then 1080P is no good.

Unk Adams

Banned
If you absolutely can't wait then you sure as hell don't want to purposely buy the inferior model. It's worse for any purpose and some games just don't run that well in handheld mode.

Ceadeus

Switch lite is cool enough. You can always sell it once pro comes out. No stress.

I own both and sometime prefer the lite for its size. Color scheme is neat too, turquoise looks good.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I agree with everyone here who says either wait it out or purchase the regular Switch. The Switch Lite can barely run anything well.

Quasicat

You can buy a standard Switch and it won’t look too bad on a 4K set depending on what you play. The art style makes all of the difference. I have a Sony XBR 950x and the Switch look good overall with it; Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Mario Odyssey look pretty good. I fired up Skyrim and Fortnite on it and it looks really bad, but look really good on the Lite model.
I am excited for the Pro model, but with as hard as it was to find a Series X and I’ve still not seen a PS5 available, I’m thinking I will be playing on a standard Switch and a Lite for awhile yet.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Better to buy a Switch Lite today than wait however long it takes for "Switch Pro" or whatever new console Nintendo unveils, which I'm personally guessing will be sometime next year when Zelda BotW2 is about to be released. COVID pushed everything back a full year and Nintendo is still struggling to manufacture enough consoles to meet current demand. They're in no hurry to rush out new hardware just yet.

20cent

Banned
Are docked game in 720p?? Really?

4k is not coming anytime soon on Switch. Come on.. No devs are going to patch their games for a "Pro" Switch. Not even Nintendo.

If they do release a Pro model, only games released after will be optimized anyway.

If you really want a Switch now, get the regular model (with dock)... at least you'll be able to easily replace the drifting sticks..

Pagusas

Elden Member
A docked only switch would defeat the entire purpose and marketing of the hybrid device

What a weird rumor

That makes 0 sense
Did you forget the Switch Mini can’t be docked, thus isn’t a hybrid device and can’t switch… yet is still called Switch?

Ryu Kaiba

What a weird rumor

That makes 0 sense
Not that I think the pro is docked only but Geezus, you'd think all the people shouting this from the rooftops were already shot down by the Switch Lite.

NinjaBoiX

Did you forget the Switch Mini can’t be docked, thus isn’t a hybrid device and can’t switch… yet is still called Switch?
I mean, there’s a difference between a cheaper version of a handheld that you can usually hook up to your tv doing away with that option, and what would effectively be a new home console.

The Switch Lite is a compromised switch for those who only want to play handheld, that’s a fairly minor tweak.

For Switch Pro to suddenly become a docked only console (so a fairly standard box style console) would be a fundamental shift that I don’t see them making.

Switch Pro is coming, it’s inevitable. And it’ll be exactly what everyone is expecting, a beefed up Switch in the same form factor.

Ryu Kaiba

Not worth it, it's Lite after all, in other words, it's a compromised Switch. Not worth your money, if you are a hardcore gamer imo
I agree with everyone here who says either wait it out or purchase the regular Switch. The Switch Lite can barely run anything well.
Switch Lite is the same thing as the Fat Switch in Portable mode. It's not how I would ideally play Doom or the Witcher but it runs Nintendo games and indies and just fine.

Rickyiez

Well I mean, nintendo DID create the 2DS:

71xAT9-afYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The 3DS with no 3D and no clamshell design
And that was exactly why it was called 2DS and not 3DS lite .

Then again , Switch Lite isn't dockable either so it already defeated the purpose of being named Switch .

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ask yourself, is there any game on Switch you want to play, if the answer is no then don't bother.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Ask yourself, is there any game on Switch you want to play, if the answer is no then don't bother.
I liked the Metroid games on my gba/gamecube. Want to see what the fuss is all about with the mario / zelda games. Astral chain makes me hard. Marvel alliance 3 is a must. Don't give a flying fuck about smash, so that's a pass. Want to play numerous indies in handheld mode. There are also seem to be some solid asian horror games for the switch.

So yeah, I don't see me replacing my steam library with the switch's but there is some definite value here ...

Nickolaidas

Banned
Then you have your answer.
Oh I do not debate the quality of the content. My only problem is that I utterly refuse to go back to 720p resolutions after gaming at 4k. If the rumored switch pro offers upscaled 1080p image to 4k via dlss, I'll be there day 1. Otherwise, I won't touch docked mode.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh I do not debate the quality of the content. My only problem is that I utterly refuse to go back to 720p resolutions after gaming at 4k. If the rumored switch pro offers upscaled 1080p image to 4k via dlss, I'll be there day 1. Otherwise, I won't touch docked mode.
I played games both on Consoles and handhelds in my entire gaming life, I personally not all that oversensitive over graphics, even tho I have PS5 I can play Switch on both on TV and handheld with no issue.

My suggestion is, look up gameplay footage of Switch games you are interested in, if the visual bothers you that much and if you are someone who values high tech graphics then I say re-think about buying Switch.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Pro rumors surfaced around the time the Switch was released. I say just get the normal Switch if you can afford it and if there are games on it you want to play.
I bounce from my PC running rtx3080 @ 4K on an oled tv to my Switch w/o issue.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I played games both on Consoles and handhelds in my entire gaming life, I personally not all that oversensitive over graphics, even tho I have PS5 I can play Switch on both on TV and handheld with no issue.

My suggestion is, look up gameplay footage of Switch games you are interested in, if the visual bothers you that much and if you are someone who values high tech graphics then I say re-think about buying Switch.
I did. Docked mode games look like shit on some videos. Astral chain in particular looks like you're playing on pc at 480p resolution. I wouldn't mind textures being low res, but I want everything to be sharp and anti-aliased.

60fps on all games wouldn't hurt too.

Top Bottom