• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm thinking of getting a powerful gaming PC but..

Nickolaidas

Banned
I have both an XSX and a PS5.
Turns out I found a way to get approximately half of the cost of a 2000£ gaming rig reimbursed to me if I was to make the purchase. That would get me approximately a 3080 with an Amd Ryzen 5 and a 512GB nvme SSD from ADMI (by the way hook me up if you know a better "pick your specs" gaming computer website)
So for the first time in a decade, I have been thinking of getting a gaming PC. But I really struggle to see the necessity for it especially now that gaming consoles are reaching 60 fps in most games.
Also what is the real added value if I have game pass on console and cloud? What are the games or features that I would suddenly gain access to that could justify this move?
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me with the decision process.
If I learned anything in my time as a gamer is that you'll never, EVER build a PC which can run every game 100% better than in console. Why? Because some dev teams half-ass the PC version and ends up being inferior to the console's. But note, that's the exception, not the rule.

If the PS5 and XSX make a trend of the performance modes (and God I hope they will), PC still has an amazing advantage, if you're into that kind of stuff. Mods.

Mods can turn a game which you were on the fence about turn into the game you always wanted to play. Darkest Dungeon is a masochistic experience on consoles and vanilla PC. With mods, it can be amazingly versatile.

Got pissed with X-COM 2's constant turn-timer? Mod it out.

You hate the leveling system of Skyrim? Mod it to your liking.

You want a particular NPC of an RPG to have different features and hair? You can mod it in.

PC mods are the reason I keep coming back to PC gaming, time and again. No matter how good Starfield will be on the XSX, I *know* in PC it'll be a thousand times better due to the modding customization I'll be able to tweak with it.

MiguelItUp

I think anytime is a good time to be honest. However, as you know, GPUs have not only been limited, but their prices have been inflated. Immensely. If you're a patient person, I'd recommend just getting the pieces you want, one at a time. If you aren't, I'd recommend maybe getting a prebuilt. I usually wouldn't say such a thing, but there have been a variety of prebuilt systems packed with 3000 series and AMD equivalent cards and the pricing ain't too bad. Though sometimes it takes a bit to ship to you depending on who you go through.

Excess

Think of it like this: Swiss Army knife vs. Butter knife

iu
VS.
iu

Are you tired of buying two separate consoles to play everything (You apparently did by spending ~$900)? Well, stop that shit. Now.

thumb_see-this-shit-stop-it-30507868.png
iu

Start investing in your gaming machine like an automobile. Think about the components of your system individually, rather than a fixed-hardware unit that can only do so much until a new one debuts. Whereas with PC, each component can be upgraded at your own pace within your own budget just as you see fit. And within a year or two, new GPU's and components will be available years before either Sony of Microsoft decide you need some kind of mid-gen system (another $500). And even if you don't upgrade, guess what? You don't have to, and I'll get to that in greater detail below.

Secondly, you're gaining more control over your gaming experience. You're not confined to one game store, nor are you confined to what kind of performance you expect of your games. While console has until recently provided a performance vs. quality mode, you don't get much control over that; it's usually no more than an on/off switch. For example, what if you want to game at 120 FPS but are willing to sacrifice a huge drop in resolution, eg. 1080p, but console only allows 60 FPS at, let's say, at 1440p? With PC, you can tweak that to your heart's desire, even if the game is technically "too new" for your hardware; you can technically still make it run. Make the sacrifices you want, and not what developers predetermine.

Which leads me to my next point: Welcome to the world of mods, where the limits to a game and what is possible are limited only by a community's imagination. Some games, I would contend, are almost worth buying simply for the mods! Whether it's Skyrim, GTA V, Fallout, Dark Souls, Witcher, Minecraft, etc. You can't get GTA V RP without PC, nor can you out-do the developers (later forcing them to create the Enhanced and Expanded Edition) in graphical fidelity.

And who says RE3 Remake has no replay value?

iu
iu

Also, what about input devices? Want to use a keyboard and mouse? No problem. Want to use an Xbox controller? No problem. Want to use a PS5 controller? No problem. Want to use an gyro remote control mouse pointer? You could, but it would be painful.

What about a legacy library? Who needs 20 consoles hooked up with 20 different switches and surge plugs that could cause a fire any minute. :messenger_fire: Look no further than LaunchBox! This thing literally has the ability to organize every single retro console and provide box art for all of your games. Want to play SNES one minute and switch to Sega Genesis the next? Faster than SANIC.

"Well now, Excess, I don't feel like using 5 different fucking platforms to organize my games." Well, you could also use Launchbox for that, but why not use GameHub for Rainmeter. Give your game launcher the white-glove treatment it deserves.

Wanna use a preferred chat service? Use Skype, use Discord, use fucking ICQ for all I care, but you can do whatever you like. In fact, the implementation of the Xbox ecosystem allows you to use the Party Chat system and share your PC games to your friend's console feeds. (I've been sharing screenshots of Horizon Zero Dawn on my Xbox feed to my Xbox friends for lulz)

Run benchmarks! Make it your baby, just as you would to your hypothetical 1967 Shelby Mustang. Take it out for a spin. It's what you make of it. One system to rule them all, Frodo!

Amiga

since you already have both consoles then just wait 2 more years for PC to separate again.
8K TVs will be more affordable, hardware and software upscaling will be more advanced so 8K will be a thing by then, Raytracing acceleration will be standard for both GPU makers.
faster than PS5 SSDs will be common.
DDR5 will be standard and likely over 10000MHz.
AMD chiplets will force iNvidia to offer more increase in performance gains over then next few years.
chip production issues should be resolved and prices normalize.

Ribi

It's. A pc... It's a computer not just something that can game it's something you'll probably need in the future for other things and something you might get anyways later if you can cut the cost in half go for it.

When's th last time your boss said hey I need you to get on your ps5 and type a memo for me?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I ordered one in January, if I hadn’t cancelled the order, I’d still be waiting till at least August maybe September for the order to be built. And even then it wasn’t guaranteed those dates would be met.

I wouldn’t bother this year if I were you.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
If I were to build a pc now I would pre order a next gen card like Ampere ASAP then build the pc in 2022.
Used gpu price of good cards is crazy.

Klik

I also thought about getting a gaming PC but honestly i don't think its worth because i don't play large variety of games.

I don't play strategic games like civ/rts games/building games, japanese type of games, i dont play "magic type" of games like lol, dota etc.

So basically in TOP 100 most played games on Steam i would play 2-3 games like Battlefield, Apex Legends, PES football, racing games like Assetto Corsa.And i have those games on PS5 so i guess its not really worth it to get gaming PC,right?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Do it and send me your PS5 (pretty please).
I'm in France but it shouldn't be a problem for a gentleman as affluent as you !

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I also thought about getting a gaming PC but honestly i don't think its worth because i don't play large variety of games.

I don't play strategic games like civ/rts games/building games, japanese type of games, i dont play "magic type" of games like lol, dota etc.

So basically in TOP 100 most played games on Steam i would play 2-3 games like Battlefield, Apex Legends, PES football, racing games like Assetto Corsa.And i have those games on PS5 so i guess its not really worth it to get gaming PC,right?
Keep in mind, I have 3080 pc. Recent games:
-It takes two - worked perfectly fine. No crashes. 2 controllers work OK.
-Phongs - could not get 2 controllers to work for good half an hour
-Ascent - could not get settings menu to work with controller. A lot of stutter
-12 minutes - bad fps. Maybe 30-70 (4k max). 1 solid, game breaking crash that required pc restart
-Fahrenheit: Indigo prophecy remaster - Crash on startup. Required launching in windowed mode and switching to full screen with alt-enter... with good timing.
-Metro Exodus - broken hdr, broken black levels. Finally there is a command to fix that...
-Final Fantasy XV - about 5-10 crashes through out whole game... even after beating bosses. Some stutter and disappointing performance
-RE Village - about 90fps average. No crashes. light stutter. Overall great.

In comparison on ps5 this year
-FF7 remake. 30 or 60fps mode. No glitches, no crashes. Works perfectly Fine
-Demons Souls. The same
-UC4 the same
-RE Village Demo. Better sound and cool dualsense than pc but pc runs faster.

All games on console have better HDR too. Except Village. Looked great on pc

Generally - with pc it's a lottery but expect always having to look for some quick fix or something. if You are patient, you can do more than on console. But for now, ps5 offers Dualsense, 3d sound and faster loading than pc

GHG

Gold Member

You mentioned assetto corsa, if you're a serious sim racer or want to get serious about it then you have no other option but to get a gaming PC. If you play that heavily then I'd actually go as far to say its worth it for that one game alone because of the sheer number of high quality mods available on PC.

Don't feel like now it's a right time to do that.
If he gets reimbursed for it why not? with a 3080 + powerful Ryzen CPU there is no apparent downside.

My only question is why do you waste time posting here about it?
these new CPUs will be supporting DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 which basically affects the entire PC: CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM, SSD. to give you an idea...DDR4 RAM maxes out at about 4700. DDR5 could go to about 6500. As for SSDS they currently max out at about 7.1GB/s (PS5 is 5.5GB/s) but with PCIE 5.0 they could reach 14.2GB/s. if you jump in with DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 you can rest assured knowing that your system will not be out dated for at least 6-7 years.
You need to learn how to read games benchmarks, at the moment we have this situation in Windows:
- Games load at about the same speed on a decent SATA SSD and a top of the line PCIe 4.0 drive (not all, but quite a lot)... Same for professional applications.
- Current CPUs, even the mid-range ones, can run games at very high frame rates if they are paired with the right GPU

See this chart with older CPUs
aalY9o2.png

4K is not limited by current CPUs, even on a 60hz panel—GPUs are the bottleneck (if you insist on using the Ultra setting on everything)
High refresh at low resolution can be, but if I was to get a shiny new system next year (I am the type to be carried away by the hype) I would never pair a machine like this with a 1080p monitor just to that the CPU is my bottleneck, no matter how high the refresh rate is.

The main benefit I see to DDR5 will be for RPCS3 (PS3 emulation likes high bandwidth RAM) and APUs (their built-in GPU will benefit quite a lot from the higher RAM bandwidth).

We are not in the 286 to 386 to 486 to Pentium days where you will see a new CPU and architecture that enables completely new applications and real-time effects in a dramatic way.
You could always build a PC using a Ryzen APU just to tie you over until the market stops freaking out.
What if he wants to game on PC sooner rather than later? and when the machine is reimbursed by work (I assume this is how it's paid)... it's not like a 3080 would become bad even if we had GPUs that are 5 times the speed released tomorrow... However there may be a feeling of having missed out.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If he gets reimbursed for it why not? with a 3080 + powerful Ryzen CPU there is no apparent downside.

My only question is why do you waste time posting here about it?

You need to learn how to read games benchmarks, at the moment we have this situation in Windows:
- Games load at about the same speed on a decent SATA SSD and a top of the line PCIe 4.0 drive (not all, but quite a lot)... Same for professional applications.
- Current CPUs, even the mid-range ones, can run games at very high frame rates if they are paired with the right GPU

See this chart with older CPUs
aalY9o2.png

4K is not limited by current CPUs, even on a 60hz panel—GPUs are the bottleneck (if you insist on using the Ultra setting on everything)
High refresh at low resolution can be, but if I was to get a shiny new system next year (I am the type to be carried away by the hype) I would never pair a machine like this with a 1080p monitor just to that the CPU is my bottleneck, no matter how high the refresh rate is.

The main benefit I see to DDR5 will be for RPCS3 (PS3 emulation likes high bandwidth RAM) and APUs (their built-in GPU will benefit quite a lot from the higher RAM bandwidth).

We are not in the 286 to 386 to 486 to Pentium days where you will see a new CPU and architecture that enables completely new applications and real-time effects in a dramatic way.

What if he wants to game on PC sooner rather than later? and when the machine is reimbursed by work (I assume this is how it's paid)... it's not like a 3080 would become bad even if we had GPUs that are 5 times the speed released tomorrow... However there may be a feeling of having missed out.
It wasn't long post like yourself and I personally feel like that, because everything is inadequately expensive compare to maybe few months in the future. But that's just my opinion. obviously

Klik

You mentioned assetto corsa, if you're a serious sim racer or want to get serious about it then you have no other option but to get a gaming PC. If you play that heavily then I'd actually go as far to say its worth it for that one game alone because of the sheer number of high quality mods available on PC.
Yeah im on PS5 and its most of the time GT sport which is something like simcade/light sim.It still has decent physics and ffb because i really drive gt sport and ACC almost the same. I play sometime Assetto Corsa Competizione but honestly it just takes too much time. If i enter competition server its 5min practice, pause, 15min quali-5min setup - 1 hour race. It takes like 1 and half hour to finish a race. And lot of time somebody damage you etc. I just wish there was daily races like in GT sport, you can qualy during a week and race every 15-30min.So now i use ACC just sometime for hotlapping, but honestly its not like ACC is completely different than GT sport in terms of physics, ffb and braking points. If you're good in GT sport you will easy adjust to ACC or Iracing, rFactor 2

And also i tried VR and its a gamechanger for racing games. Now i cant wait for PSVR2 and hopefully games like GT7, Project Cars 4,Dirt Rally 3.0,Assetto Corsa in 2024 will fully support it.

Found myself in the same situation: thought fuck it only live once get that PC.

Dragon Quest 11 on PS4 was utter shit but modded and tweaked on PC it was a whole different game and I'm enjoying it.
That's the game changing power of a game PC and you can't get it elsewhere.

Shai-Tan

Banned

yeah, not worth if you would only play games you could already play on console unless you really prefer mouse/keyboard like me

some of my most played are Total War Warhammer II, loads of "indie" strategy/deck builder/rpg/etc type games

I suppose it's also possibly worth if you are into specific games that have a lot of mods e.g. I'm playing Fallout 4 VR with a Wabbajack 100+ mod list

What brings me to PC a lot of times is competitive games, high fps, and mouse and keyboard. So it really depends on what you're looking for out of the PC.

If you're just casually playing single player games, I would stick with consoles and upgrade to an OLED TV and a sound system.
I actually have my PC hooked up to a 4K, LG OLED E8 with 7.1 Klipsch surround sound.

I bought my PC specifically for tactical shooters and running older Xbox 360/PS3 era games with higher settings. I spent about $1,400 on mine about 3-4 years ago. Definitely worth the investment if those arethe type of games you're looking for or if you just prefer keyboard and mouse.

For the past yearI have been playing mostly Hell Let Loose and now that I have my PS5, I plug in my Dualsense controller to my PC and use that and it works great.

I have both an XSX and a PS5.
Turns out I found a way to get approximately half of the cost of a 2000£ gaming rig reimbursed to me if I was to make the purchase. That would get me approximately a 3080 with an Amd Ryzen 5 and a 512GB nvme SSD from ADMI (by the way hook me up if you know a better "pick your specs" gaming computer website)
So for the first time in a decade, I have been thinking of getting a gaming PC. But I really struggle to see the necessity for it especially now that gaming consoles are reaching 60 fps in most games.
Also what is the real added value if I have game pass on console and cloud? What are the games or features that I would suddenly gain access to that could justify this move?
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me with the decision process.
There are still a lot of games that don't reach 60 fps on consoles or consistently without some drops. Also they have to sacrifice graphics(not just resolution but AA,filtering,etc) to get that 60 fps. Other advantages on PC are free online, amazing backward compatibility, you get options to buy from different stores and not just one(Steam, Zoom Platform, gog,etc), Mods, more indie game support.

KAL2006

Banned
I too will be jumping into PC gaming too but I already have a PS5 at the moment and to be honest alot of games just look great and performance mode guaranteeing me 60fps with majority of releases is working out for me.

But I will still get a gaming PC and surprsingly it's not just for the graphics it's for:
- free online
- mods, I can make grindy games tolerable, mod in or out things to my liking. This is probably the biggest deal for me
- Steam sales
- the best backwards compatibility, I can play a random game like Sonic Generations in 4K60
- Xbox exclusives, as a PS5 only owner there is a few Xbox games I wouldn't mind playing if they turn out good. I'm not into the while Halo, Gears or Forza stuff but the upcoming WRPG slate is something that would be good to check out that's not on PS5

However I will wait until 2023 to jump in because I have far too many PS4/PS5 games to play and by then hopefully I can get a 40xx series that will last me a long time.

It wasn't long post like yourself and I personally feel like that, because everything is inadequately expensive compare to maybe few months in the future. But that's just my opinion. obviously
I get this, but what lies ahead of us is speculation. I know people who are still waiting for basic pieces of equipment to arrive from China—they are months late. So I would not expect things to just go back to "normal" soon, price drops happen at a much slower pace than price hikes.

Anyway, as I said, I don't think that the CPU and I/O are the bottleneck to gaming these days.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I get this, but what lies ahead of us is speculation. I know people who are still waiting for basic pieces of equipment to arrive from China—they are months late. So I would not expect things to just go back to "normal" soon, price drops happen at a much slower pace than price hikes.

Anyway, as I said, I don't think that the CPU and I/O are the bottleneck to gaming these days.
I agree with this. My point...OG post was just a comment about the logistic situation which currently is. Nothing more. I think that if price would be normal, you could get PC now, which last you whole gen. DLSS and all that. I think that we have awesome HW now.... sadly mainly on the paper and within scalper warehouses.

Guilty_AI

Found myself in the same situation: thought fuck it only live once get that PC.

Dragon Quest 11 on PS4 was utter shit but modded and tweaked on PC it was a whole different game and I'm enjoying it.
That's the game changing power of a game PC and you can't get it elsewhere.
k, now go play cruelty squad

f4347e2fa021cce2c50582008b3f8da14489ba9d.gifv

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah im on PS5 and its most of the time GT sport which is something like simcade/light sim.It still has decent physics and ffb because i really drive gt sport and ACC almost the same. I play sometime Assetto Corsa Competizione but honestly it just takes too much time. If i enter competition server its 5min practice, pause, 15min quali-5min setup - 1 hour race. It takes like 1 and half hour to finish a race. And lot of time somebody damage you etc. I just wish there was daily races like in GT sport, you can qualy during a week and race every 15-30min.So now i use ACC just sometime for hotlapping, but honestly its not like ACC is completely different than GT sport in terms of physics, ffb and braking points. If you're good in GT sport you will easy adjust to ACC or Iracing, rFactor 2

And also i tried VR and its a gamechanger for racing games. Now i cant wait for PSVR2 and hopefully games like GT7, Project Cars 4,Dirt Rally 3.0,Assetto Corsa in 2024 will fully support it.

Get yourself a PC.

You're missing out on a ton of stuff that's better than GT Sport in the racing space. Iracing, raceroom and Rfactor 2 now all have system online similar to what GT Sport does and there's a lot more variety (iracing always had that system, it actually predates GT Sport by a big margin).

VR support is much better on PC as well, you can use it in all racing games/sims in all modes. Same thing goes for peripheral support - no barriers. Racedepartment is full of people who started on console with games like GT and Forza but gave since moved on to PC and haven't looked back.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Honestly if you have both a XSX and a PS5 getting a gaming PC now seems like a bit of a waste. Wait a year or two for PCs to massively leapfrog the current systems.
This. PC’s will pull away again (although I expect mid gen consoles again) but now isn’t the time to buy PC parts because of a combination of price and timing.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm in this situation right now. Might have to upgrade my pc for work, (might as well go all out) and thinking about going with either the MSI Trident AS or Trident 3.

Not sure if going from an i5 to i7 and 1660 super to 3070 is worth an extra 1000 (CAD)

Last edited:
Top Bottom