• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm thinking of getting a powerful gaming PC but..

Greggy

I have both an XSX and a PS5.
Turns out I found a way to get approximately half of the cost of a 2000£ gaming rig reimbursed to me if I was to make the purchase. That would get me approximately a 3080 with an Amd Ryzen 5 and a 512GB nvme SSD from ADMI (by the way hook me up if you know a better "pick your specs" gaming computer website)
So for the first time in a decade, I have been thinking of getting a gaming PC. But I really struggle to see the necessity for it especially now that gaming consoles are reaching 60 fps in most games.
Also what is the real added value if I have game pass on console and cloud? What are the games or features that I would suddenly gain access to that could justify this move?
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me with the decision process.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
What brings me to PC a lot of times is competitive games, high fps, and mouse and keyboard. So it really depends on what you're looking for out of the PC.

If you're just casually playing single player games, I would stick with consoles and upgrade to an OLED TV and a sound system.

mansoor1980

FluffyEmotionalIbizanhound-small.gif

MikeM

As you said, its a want, not a need. But so are consoles. You are basically getting games that may be a bit cheaper that will run substantially better on a more expensive and possibly time-consuming (driver issues, troubleshooting, component malfunctions, etc.) PC.

If I were getting a gaming PC subsidized through work or whatever at 50%.. yep. I'd buy in a heartbeat. Just upgrade that SSD to 1TB at least.

What about your monitor? I have an MSI Optix MAG27CQ 144hx 1440p and its fantastic. Or you could run the PC to your TV and use your Xbox controller. So many options on the PC side.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

But I really struggle to see the necessity for it especially now that gaming consoles are reaching 60 fps in most games.
Still a bit questionable since we're in the crossgen stage. Developers have been making an effort to make performance mode for their games but only time will tell if this trend will continue. Personally i think it will.

That said, if you struggle to see a reason to get a gaming pc beyond performance, i don't know if it would be a good idea for you to get one.

Also what is the real added value if I have game pass on console and cloud?
Not too sure, but i think the library for PC and Xbox are slightly different. Personally, i'd reccomend the xbox version over the pc one simply because windows apps suck ass.

What are the games or features that I would suddenly gain access to that could justify this move?
A huge library of older games, possibility to emulate games that can't be played on current consoles (Like MGS4, old Persona titles or Xenoblade Chronicles X for example), lots of PC oriented games that either aren't available on console or just work better on a PC (you'd have to research what particularly interests you in this case), mods and user created content, better digital ecosystem when compared to console's, better visuals and performance depending on your specs and the game in question... those are the advantages i can think of.

Last edited:

tusharngf

I built my PC in 2017 after playing pubg pc beta. One of the best experience in a MP game ever. Some things are just better with keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I absolutely love PC gaming and I have a kickass gaming PC, but to be honest, this generation is maybe the first time ever where console games don’t feel like they are begging for more power than the console can handle. Most games have an option for 60 FPS with some decent upscaling. Both consoles have very fast SSDs that are orders of magnitude better than the shit we had last gen. XSX has variable refresh rate and PS5 should also have it soon.

If you enjoy games where mouse/keyboard controls are preferable, or where you really benefit from >60FPS (fast paced shooters especially, or if you want to use mods, then hell yes get a gaming PC. Otherwise I’d say it’s “nice to have” but not absolutely essential. If you don’t have a nice 4K OLED, that would be the biggest “bang for your buck” gaming upgrade you can get IMO.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Outside of what others have already said about it not generally being a good time to buy a PC, here's my thoughts:

I think it depends how picky you are about image quality and framerate or specifically how most console games aren't native and use DRS/recontruction to get to 4K or aren't locked to 60 and drop frames. Maybe the responsiveness/input lag of console games bothers you and you wish it was better or graphics settings being on medium instead of Ultra is noticeable to you (like flickering in volumetric light shafts). Even if you don't care about that stuff/about fixing it then you'll still pay less for games (A lot less depending on where you are in the world) and be able to mod them and use crazy cheats you can't on console.

If you don't care about most/all of that then I'd buy a new TV and sound system/headphones instead as someone said about, unless you already have a really recent/good display that is ofc.

TrueLegend

With PC you can play about 99% of total games that exist in 4k60 fps because consoles cant do that for previously released games. Play Dark souls 3 on 4k60HDR with Special K mod or with Windows 11 auto-HDR. Play AC unity on 4k60 with Auto HDR. You cannot do that on Console. For next-gen, once Unreal engine 5 drops consoles can play it at 1440p60 at best. As of now, they do 1080p30 but after optimizations 1440pLow60 like how Control runs with low settings. Just put in perspective this, 3060 is a way more powerful GPU than what's in ps5 or Series X at just 329 USD if not for current shortage situations. That's Year 1 for consoles. On Year 3 you are again looking at the big gap with 5nm Ryzen and 4060 similar with what happened to last-gen consoles. Uncharted 4 Native4K60, New final fantasy Native4K60. But before that get a monitor or TV with kickass HDR. With Cemu you could play Zelda BOTW at 4K60 and with time even the second game. I had Metal Gear Rising Revengence in my Xbox 360 before it died so I never got to play it beyond 1st Mission. And last night I got it on Steam and I am running it on 4K60 and god it looks beautiful. Seriously 4k does magic for some old games. Look, I am not shitting on consoles because 1440p60 up to 55 inches is just GREAT. Absolutely nothing to cry about, just a great experience, but never ever compare consoles with PC.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Turns out I found a way to get approximately half of the cost of a 2000£ gaming rig reimbursed to me if I was to make the purchase. That would get me approximately a 3080 with an Amd Ryzen 5 and a 512GB nvme SSD from ADMI (by the way hook me up if you know a better "pick your specs" gaming computer website)
So for the first time in a decade, I have been thinking of getting a gaming PC. But I really struggle to see the necessity for it especially now that gaming consoles are reaching 60 fps in most games.
Also what is the real added value if I have game pass on console and cloud? What are the games or features that I would suddenly gain access to that could justify this move?
Building one from scratch right now is more expensive than usual and probably continue to be for the remainder of the year if not longer. I would maybe look to 2022 when things will hopefully stabilize. The end of the pandemic will probably be a good marker for when to start shopping.

However, if your buying it prebuilt and the cost will be shared, price may not matter as much. If you're going with a 3080, I would suggest going with at least Ryzen 7 5800x. It's what I have in my rig right now.

As far as the fps. Have you played at 120+ fps before? 60 fps to me is uncomfortable to the point that if it isn't a fighting game, I prefer playing on PC. It's one of the reason Gamepass for PC. Humble Bundle and CDkeys are godsends.

I find myself rebuying a lot of games on PC that I originally had on console. Dark Souls 3 is on sale along with the entirety of the Bandai Namco catalogue. Picked up the Deluxe Edition for $21.99. Sadly, it is locked to 60 fpsm though can do a little modding to unlock the framerate. Problem is the game bugs out a bit if you do that.

What kind of games do you play mostly?

reinking

Gold Member
I know many are pointing out that this is a bad time to buy a PC. The biggest issue right now is costs are high. If your cost is getting cut in half then that takes care of that.

In my experience of owning consoles and PC it is about options. There are still some games I prefer to play on consoles. There are others I prefer to play on PC.

PC also still offers some things you cannot get on consoles besides tweaking settings. Things like widescreen or multiple monitors.

If you can afford I would not let owning consoles hold me back from getting a gaming PC. Me personally, I would give up my XBSX before I would the PC. PS5 is right behind if they start bringing all of their games to PC day one.

Greggy

Building one from scratch right now is more expensive than usual and probably continue to be for the remainder of the year if not longer. I would maybe look to 2022 when things will hopefully stabilize. The end of the pandemic will probably be a good marker for when to start shopping.

However, if your buying it prebuilt and the cost will be shared, price may not matter as much. If you're going with a 3080, I would suggest going with at least Ryzen 7 5800x. It's what I have in my rig right now.

As far as the fps. Have you played at 120+ fps before? 60 fps to me is uncomfortable to the point that if it isn't a fighting game, I prefer playing on PC. It's one of the reason Gamepass for PC. Humble Bundle and CDkeys are godsends.

I find myself rebuying a lot of games on PC that I originally had on console. Dark Souls 3 is on sale along with the entirety of the Bandai Namco catalogue. Picked up the Deluxe Edition for $21.99. Sadly, it is locked to 60 fpsm though can do a little modding to unlock the framerate. Problem is the game bugs out a bit if you do that.

What kind of games do you play mostly?
I mostly play first party games from Xbox and Playstation. Halo, Gears, Forza, TLOU, HZD, GOW. On the 3rd parrty side I'd really like to play Cyberpunk at high settings, I love Doom Eternal and most fast paced shooters.
In terms of genres I'd say action, shooting, adventure and RPGs.
How does the Ryzen 7 compare to an i9 9900K?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mostly play first party games from Xbox and Playstation. Halo, Gears, Forza, TLOU, HZD, GOW. On the 3rd parrty side I'd really like to play Cyberpunk at high settings, I love Doom Eternal and most fast paced shooters.
In terms of genres I'd say action, shooting, adventure and RPGs.
How does the Ryzen 7 compare to an i9 9900K?
I check userbenchmark to compare hardware. This site will give you an Idea. Seems Ryzen 5800x has a slight edge for not that much more money.

With Pc starting to receive all of your favorite Xbox First party games and slowly getting the Playstation library as well, I think it's worth it if you don't mind double dipping. You have a PS5 so if it's a big deal for you, you still won't have to wait to play Sony's games day 1, but for those you can wait for...you might be able to play it better on PC. It's left to be seen because there may be some things the SSD allows the PS5 to play but maybe not on certain specs on PC. Hard to say, we'd have to see what's coming down the pipe for Sony.

Cyberpunk on PC with a 3080 and 5800x looks really good. Toss in some DLSS to take advantage of the plethora of options with RTX. I originally played Cyberpunk on a 1070ti and it was passable. Ended up finishing the game before I got my 3080. I do plan on going through it again, this time as a female Vee as a Netrunner. I was Solo on my first playthrough. Still waiting for more update before I go back though.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Do it, but also, I'd go with a weaker gpu and put more of the budget into the cpu/ram/sdds.
The GPU prices are going to come down eventually, at least by then you'll have some top of the line parts and you can just upgrade the gpu when the time comes.

I check userbenchmark to compare hardware.
Don't. When AMD started catching up to Intel in terms of performance they started modifying their benchmarks to ensure Intel would stay ahead in their rankings. They were so obvious about it that multiple tech sites and channels started calling them out for it, and it eventually got so bad that they got banned as a benchmark source on the Intel (!) subreddit of all places.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Don't. When AMD started catching up to Intel in terms of performance they started modifying their benchmarks to ensure Intel would stay ahead in their rankings. They were so obvious about it that multiple tech sites and channels started calling them out for it, and it eventually got so bad that they got banned as a benchmark source on the Intel (!) subreddit of all places.
REEAAALLLYYYYY? Wow didn't know that.

Fredrik

PC gaming is great, definitely worth it even if you have a XSX and PS5. You get game-changing mods and never have to worry about a dev choosing that 30fps is good enough and don’t have to spend $2k just to get variable refresh rates, which is awesome.
Through Gamepass you also get the definitive version of all MS exclusives. Expect better visuals, better framerates, mods, more choices how to use your system power.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If you are getting a $3,000 PC for free, why not?

Get in line though, there is no way you are getting one before 2022.

A 3080 should be able to run PS5 and XSX games at double the framerate or twice the resolution. Especially once RT starts being utilized and DLSS 2.0 becomes the norm. So if you are into 60 fps gaming, PC gaming is the go to place for next gen.

spawn

Since you have both consoles you don't need a PC. Most of the newest releases coming out you will have on your console. If you really want a powerful PC for some of the PC exclusives then there is no reason to have the Xbox in the house since everything on Xbox will come out on PC with mods

Sgt.Asher

The initial investment is high, but once you build a library it's worth it, infinite backwards compatibility pretty much. If you are going pc, get a pre-build, as it's nigh impossible to get a gpu at msrp right now.
Also sell the xsx if you do, since all games are coming to pc. No need for both

Last edited:

Rudius

Still a bit questionable since we're in the crossgen stage. Developers have been making an effort to make performance mode for their games but only time will tell if this trend will continue. Personally i think it will.

That said, if you struggle to see a reason to get a gaming pc beyond performance, i don't know if it would be a good idea for you to get one.

Not too sure, but i think the library for PC and Xbox are slightly different. Personally, i'd reccomend the xbox version over the pc one simply because windows apps suck ass.

A huge library of older games, possibility to emulate games that can't be played on current consoles (Like MGS4, old Persona titles or Xenoblade Chronicles X for example), lots of PC oriented games that either aren't available on console or just work better on a PC (you'd have to research what particularly interests you in this case), mods and user created content, better digital ecosystem when compared to console's, better visuals and performance depending on your specs and the game in question... those are the advantages i can think of.
If next gen games start targeting 30fps on consoles it will be really hard to lock them at 60 even on a powerful PC. Games rely more on single thread performance, or a few threads for the hard work, and usually can't use many cores very well.

avin

How does gaming-related hardware compare on the XSX versus PC? Things like flight-simulation sticks, throttles, rudders? I'm trying to make a similar decision myself, and I think that would be the deciding factor for me. Thanks for any insight.

avin

Wonko_C

PC is at its strongest in the indie and dojin camps. Mods and fan games are also a nice bonus, some of them are just downright amazing. And you don't even need a powerful rig to play them, but it's still a nice thing to have.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Also, there is no comparison when it comes to strategy games on the PC, especially real time strategy games. If you don't play those, it becomes a harder sale although mouse and KB for FPSs are still vastly superior to a gamepad. It really comes down to the genres you like.

Spidey Fan

Banned
not worth it OP. Unless you are strictly want to play pc games, don't bother getting a pc gaming. I bought rd2 on epic when it was on sale, and got gta5 free from epic. But the reality was that, I wasn't playing those games. So my gaming pc became useless.

If you have pc games, or buy them and want to play them, go for it. If not, I recommend you don't buy it. It will be sitting there on your room. Just like how I use my pc for YouTube and this site, while I play on my consoles.

Buggy Loop

Best WRPGs,
Sims, strategy, VR, online fps, etc

I can’t skip PC personally.

Try to score a GPU at MSRP first, it’ll be the critical part to get. With PC gamepass you can just ditch the series X later.

Guilty_AI

If next gen games start targeting 30fps on consoles it will be really hard to lock them at 60 even on a powerful PC. Games rely more on single thread performance, or a few threads for the hard work, and usually can't use many cores very well.
Usually varies from game to game. I personally witnessed games that got massive improvements by utilizing multi-thread optimizations.

And whether games that target 30fps on console will be able to run 60fps on pc properly will also depend on the devs in question. Metro exodus EE for example, despite running at 60fps on consoles, can run at higher settings on pc at 60fps with equal or even higher resolution using new current cards, implying there'd be a need to target lower frame rate on consoles to run at similar quality.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
It is a fucking awful time to make a PC.

It's your money but each month you wait GPU prices fall. Average price of a ROG Strix OC 3090 one month ago was $3500.00 and it's like $2900.00 right now.

Rudius

Usually varies from game to game. I personally witnessed games that got massive improvements by utilizing multi-thread optimizations.

And whether games that target 30fps on console will be able to run 60fps on pc properly will also depend on the devs in question. Metro exodus EE for example, despite running at 60fps on consoles, can run at higher settings on pc at 60fps with equal or even higher resolution using new current cards, implying there'd be a need to target lower frame rate on consoles to run at similar quality.
Alright, but a game like Metro still runs at 60 on consoles, so it's not CPU bound. I'm thinking about a next gen only GTA VI or Assassin's Creed, running at 30 and fully utilizing the consoles CPUs. If it's not super well optimized to make use of 16+ cores on PC, and I bet it will target 8c/16t like most next gen games, running at double the frame rate would only be possible with much higher clocks or much better IPC. Even the best CPUs on the market, with great cooling and lots of power to sustain 5Ghz would probably run a game like that at 45~50 fps. Since a CPU bottleneck is not easily solved like a GPU one, your best option would be running it with a variable refresh rate.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s up to you if you care about things that PC offers like an open platform, mods, emulation, etc. Personally I will never go back to consoles as my main platform.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i have a PS5, switch and a mid end gaming rig and im satisfied with my main platform PS5, since you have XSX and PS5 , i really dont think you need a high end gaming PC, unless you REALLY want to game on highest settings.

If you plan to buy the one game to main on one platform, there is no point investing on additional gaming platform, unless you have the money to spend of course.

Are you sure you really going to play games mainly on a high end PC going forward? Or just you sudden "wants" only?

Last edited:

Greggy

i have a PS5, switch and a mid end gaming rig and im satisfied with my main platform PS5, since you have XSX and PS5 , i really dont think you need a high end gaming PC, unless you REALLY want to game on highest settings.

If you plan to buy the one game to main on one platform, there is no point investing on additional gaming platform, unless you have the money to spend of course.

Are you sure you really going to play games mainly on a high end PC going forward? Or just you sudden "wants" only?
It’s mainly because I would get the (gaming) pc subsidised through work and it’s an expiring opportunity. I don’t think I would use it much except for RTS and demanding FPS games. Or flight simulator.
i appreciate everyone’s input. I’m leaning towards waiting for as long as I can to allow GPU prices to fall more.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you have these 2 consoles, pc will only bring you misery.
Unless you want to play games that are only on pc :p

TheKratos

If you're not 100% sure then don't jump in. To me PC gaming is you go all in or you don't, if you already have the next gen consoles that is.

Azurro

Banned

You already have a XSX and a PS5, so you already have access to all of the AAA games. So, let's look at the rest of the positives: better graphical settings that translate into slightly better graphical quality in games. Access to all indies and mods maybe If that's your thing. Mouse and Keyboard if you like to play FPSs.

Are those things above worth the investment to you? As a bonus, you could become one of these pompous PCMR dudes that require a bj every day in the forum over their PC specs. ;)

now is not the time to be building a PC.

it is hard to find hardware and anyway even if you did build a PC it would be severely outdated in about a year. Intel + AMDs next CPUs, which are coming soon, are what we'd consider "next gen" in the PC world. If you think of it like console generations then PC is currently 6 years into its "current gen". So building a PC today is like someone buying a PS4 in 2020 knowing the PS5 is just around the corner.

these new CPUs will be supporting DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 which basically affects the entire PC: CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM, SSD. to give you an idea...DDR4 RAM maxes out at about 4700. DDR5 could go to about 6500. As for SSDS they currently max out at about 7.1GB/s (PS5 is 5.5GB/s) but with PCIE 5.0 they could reach 14.2GB/s. if you jump in with DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 you can rest assured knowing that your system will not be out dated for at least 6-7 years.

it makes no sense to build a PC right now especially if you have both a PS5 + XSX.

Hold onto your money. You have everything you need for gaming.
Unless you need a PC for other tasks apart from playing games.

Top Bottom