• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sure some of these Deathloop reviews can't with a back hander

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....like dishonored, prey, dark souls etc etc in regards to reading stuff.

I enjoyed it. Don't see blackspoitation in it either.

It's more dishonored with a admitly broken pvp. It's not a bad thing.

As for one above saying political. I didn't see anything political about it lol.

Some rambling thoughts: nowadays games with black people in them are perceived as political.

One of my first games was StarCraft. Jim Raynor is a black guy. Never thought about it, didn't care. It's a great and memorable character.

tommib

I think it's the lack of games... oh a new game to review!
Returnal is the same... it's ok but I don't like it THAT much like reviewers.
Returnal is everything and I will fight for it until I'm dead and trapped in purgatory with Selene.

Returnal's gameplay is just more addictive than Deathloop. I think Deathloop is awesome but it has too many stops and starts for it to really flow like Returnal does.

McCheese

The game is disqualified from a perfect score due to the piss-poor AI alone. I haven't seen AI this bad in 20 years.

The AI has some interesting systems where it changes based on the time of day, guards who are drinking at the start of the day will be sloppier towards the end of the day etc, I recall them saying it has more levels than that, some guards just get tired, but it's not explained at all in-game and often just comes across as "well this AI is shit"

Agree with the OP, this is in no way a 10/10 game. I think it's more a case of them wanting it to be a 10/10 game as it's trying something a bit different, is very easy due to everything being clearly sign-posted and repeatable, comes from an admired studio that has consistently churned out great but underperforming titles and deserves a big break, and best of all it doesn't have a generic white guy lead; it checks off pretty much every modern gaming journalists wishlist.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Some rambling thoughts: nowadays games with black people in them are perceived as political.

One of my first games was StarCraft. Jim Raynor is a black guy. Never thought about it, didn't care. It's a great and memorable character.

Is there anything political in the game other than the race of the characters? The game's director is black. Makes sense he would want black characters in his game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
awkward bart simpson GIF

SaucyJack

I haven’t played it, but know the scores are too high. They are always too high or too low. Very few reviews actually give an honest opinion on a console title anymore IMO. Either hyping or trashing. Metacritic should be more discerning in the publications they allow to contribute to the overall score, because there are waaaay too many fan sites hyping the shit out of very average titles (this and Kena being the most recent offenders) and inflating their MC score to a nonsensical level.

I rarely pay much heed to critic reviews these days, they are very often seeming way out of line with gamers views. You see the same phenomenon with movie reviews too, massively scored by critics with low user scores and vice-versa.

Deathloop seems a good example of this. 88 Metacritic based on reviewers but a 6.2 user score, the former seems too high and the latter too low, but they’re definitely not aligned. Similar thing on Kena, 81 critic score because a few reviewers marked it down for “originality” but an 8.8 user score suggesting gamers didn't care about that.

Buggy Loop

I mean, pick any game that got a 10 score, IGN or Gamespot list, and you can easily dissect why it’s not a perfect game, if you can’t, someone somewhere sure can.

It’s just a fucking score

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just based on shit what I read in this thread, I don't think that black characters in this game are political or that they bow to the Twitter culture.

Creative director of this game has darker skin, so I can see why he wanted to make something to look alike. I think the artstyle and all of that really fits well within the context of the game.

I feel strongly about this, due to Kingdom Come: Deliverance woke fiasco "You are white, making game about white nations, so why there are no darker skin characters?? Ur racist or something" and that impact me as well as the rest of the team heavily, pretty much everyone was attacked directly by journos or indirectly for being somewhat right wing...

So please don't do what twitter/journos did and let game devs do what they want to.

And scores really does not matter that much. I sank 120 hours in to Ascent, which reviewed poorly and it's one of my most favorite games of past 5 years.

I bought the game on PC, I like it, but liking it mainly because it feels like the Arkane game, I think some aspect are not really good, like AI, the whole loop thing, etc. I would go with 6, but I would go with average scores for a lot of 90+ titles...

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

Arun1910

It clicks with a certain political mindset so that's why it's reviewing so highly. Seems like it's a pretty good game but not the amazing classic some people are making it out to be.
Black People are Political?

What kind of dumbass comment is this? The game has nothing to do with Politics.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's more the attitude, image and stereo types. It was actually an older relative in his fifties that made the comment about blaxspoitation. I can see where he's coming from a bit.
Care to elaborate.
Finished the game just yesterday.

What Blaxploitation stereotypes are present?

<--- Is black and watched a lot of Blaxploitation media.

FUBARx89

I dunno why people have to shoehorn politics into everything.

I don't think devs can actually win with black characters these days. It's either seen as pandering or offensive.

I still don't understand the backlash from certain circles with Barrett from remake. Was a great character and passionate. Not a stereotypical angry black man like they suggested.

It's so stupid if you ask me. We should all be like Ubisoft........deny politics are in any game 😂

Last edited:
Finally wrapped up Deathloop including all side quests and collectibles.

Positives
-Superb and silky smooth gameplay, variety of weapons, and supernatural abilities.
-Intriguing story premise
-Intrigued by the nonlinear storytelling.
-Fantastic dialogue writing, dialogue delivery by Colt and Juliana voice actors.
-One of the best implementations of haptic feedback, adaptive triggers.
-stellar audio design and a fantastic soundtrack.

Neutral
-Needs player to be very very attentive, bring up the touchpad menu to read a lot of sheets of info on what where, and when to progress in the game. This game might not be for some casual/ADHD players.
-Game has zero hand-holding. Though I’m all for minimal hand-holding in games, so much of the game isn’t explained easily/clearly to the player.
-wtf of an ending. Missed the opportunity for exploring a few important characters.

Negatives
-Way too many progression hindering bugs as I pulled up the touchpad to read the case story files. The game would glitch leaving me no choice but to restart the loop by restarting the game app.
-Having to take the player back to the main menu to sync with the server when we finish a section and then giving the player access to load the next section or time of day feels archaic.

I’d give the game an 8.5/10 and definitely recommend it for Arkane fans.

tommib

Finally wrapped up Deathloop including all side quests and collectibles.

Positives
-Superb and silky smooth gameplay, variety of weapons, and supernatural abilities.
-Intriguing story premise
-Intrigued by the nonlinear storytelling.
-Fantastic dialogue writing, dialogue delivery by Colt and Juliana voice actors.
-One of the best implementations of haptic feedback, adaptive triggers.
-stellar audio design and a fantastic soundtrack.

Neutral
-Needs player to be very very attentive, bring up the touchpad menu to read a lot of sheets of info on what where, and when to progress in the game. This game might not be for some casual/ADHD players.
-Game has zero hand-holding. Though I’m all for minimal hand-holding in games, so much of the game isn’t explained easily/clearly to the player.
-wtf of an ending. Missed the opportunity for exploring a few important characters.

Negatives
-Way too many progression hindering bugs as I pulled up the touchpad to read the case story files. The game would glitch leaving me no choice but to restart the loop by restarting the game app.
-Having to take the player back to the main menu to sync with the server when we finish a section and then giving the player access to load the next section or time of day feels archaic.

I’d give the game an 8.5/10 and definitely recommend it for Arkane fans.
Great and informative review, man. Can I ask you to post on the OT?

Your writing is too good for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom