• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sure some of these Deathloop reviews can't with a back hander

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the 10/10 review and thought huh maybe it's better than I thought? Eh? Okay I'm bored. Just finished hired gun. I'll give it a go. About six to eight hours in and I'm fucking bored. But just of the blackspoitation attitude but honestly I thought you'd choose how you went around killing these dudes. Wrong! Honestly wtf? This game is at best a 7. Functional and somewhat fun. But the core gameplay loop gets really boring after a good few hours, the story is very lacklustre and christ I'm sick of the reading and audio logs. Just like dead space 3.

Barakov

Gold Member
I saw the 10/10 review and thought huh maybe it's better than I thought? Eh? Okay I'm bored. Just finished hired gun. I'll give it a go. About six to eight hours in and I'm fucking bored. But just of the blackspoitation attitude but honestly I thought you'd choose how you went around killing these dudes. Wrong! Honestly wtf? This game is at best a 7. Functional and somewhat fun. But the core gameplay loop gets really boring after a good few hours, the story is very lacklustre and christ I'm sick of the reading and audio logs. Just like dead space 3.
It clicks with a certain political mindset so that's why it's reviewing so highly. Seems like it's a pretty good game but not the amazing classic some people are making it out to be.

FUBARx89

So.....like dishonored, prey, dark souls etc etc in regards to reading stuff.

I enjoyed it. Don't see blackspoitation in it either.

It's more dishonored with a admitly broken pvp. It's not a bad thing.

As for one above saying political. I didn't see anything political about it lol.

Last edited:
Its got elements of blaxspoitation in it? Does he dress like a pimp and fuck loads of women with his giant willy?

Damn I didn't know, I need this now.

It's more the attitude, image and stereo types. It was actually an older relative in his fifties that made the comment about blaxspoitation. I can see where he's coming from a bit.

TagZ

I enjoyed it, not a 10/10 though. I like Arkanes games but they're starting a trend of underwhelming endings in their games. I give it an 8/10.

Mozzarella

The one thing that bothered me with Arkane game design the most, is that you have to read a lot of bland text, they dont try to do anything unique with their lore or story, you just read long walls of text and it gets bland, if they translate that into cutscenes that are well directed you would be able to absorb the material easier, or at least do some environmental storytelling or any other change. Dishonored, Prey and now Deathloop all follow this formula too much.

junguler

Banned
this is what you get fore trusting reviewers to tell you what to play. i'm not saying it's a good or bad game as i haven't played it but it's funny to me when i see people complaining about a game not being worthy of the score it's gotten or being angry at some troll reviewer who gave it a low number.
review scores are subjective and don't mean shit, stop letting them decide what to play or skip already.

Reactions: Isa
I'm enjoying Deathloop but the 10/10 reviews are comical. It is simply not a 10/10 game, and I'm not sure why some outlets praised it so much while dogging others more harshly. Different strokes, I suppose, but wow. The game to me is perfectly good with lots of flaws but not blowing me away.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm enjoying Deathloop but the 10/10 reviews are comical. It is simply not a 10/10 game, and I'm not sure why some outlets praised it so much while dogging others more harshly. Different strokes, I suppose, but wow. The game to me is perfectly good with lots of flaws but not blowing me away.
10 out of 10 from Gamespot used to be a big deal back in the day. They rarely gave them out. Now not so much.

I don't get the roguelike comparisons lol.

Lets be honest here. It's a fast paced Dishonored with a few extra steps ane steps removed
Yeah. Anyone calling it a rougelike still simply have not played it. Or they haven't played an actual rougelike to know what it is. This game is no more a rougelike than Dishonored or Prey.

I haven’t played it, but know the scores are too high. They are always too high or too low. Very few reviews actually give an honest opinion on a console title anymore IMO. Either hyping or trashing. Metacritic should be more discerning in the publications they allow to contribute to the overall score, because there are waaaay too many fan sites hyping the shit out of very average titles (this and Kena being the most recent offenders) and inflating their MC score to a nonsensical level.

Laptop1991

I love the Dishonored games but i'm not keen on Deathloop, it seems like a death match game to me, using the same map again and again with the overuse of audio logs to explain things like Doom Eternal did, i miss the different levels and areas, and the actual conversations with characters Dishonored had,

i just don't want to buy it at the minute, plus i remember the poor port of Dishonored 2 on PC at release and there are quite a few reports of issues, not a 10 game in my opinion, strange so many game sites gave it such a high score.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The game has some intelligent design to it. I just wanted more progression, but instead I got a choice to throw down a turret to make it easier on me. That should be fun, but if you mess up you’re back at where you started. It felt like replaying the first mission of a FPS. It’s easy, it’s simplistic, but you want to move on after a while. You don’t want to sit there hitting the “new game” button over and over again just to get it right. I can see why people enjoy it.

The enemies also felt like they were all the same, which is a blessing and a curse. It felt like I got what I paid for during the first loop, but it makes you keep doing it to get more out of it. It’s like replaying the same game, just to get a different result. I learned to appreciate the genre, but I also feel like I’m not that into this genre of games.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's such a boring fucking game. I hate it.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Shmunter

Defeated 2 bosses and I’m still trying to find my groove, trying to push through as it’s not clicking thus far. Sometimes the best rewards come from the larger investment. See how it goes.

GymWolf

No game is a 10, no tlou2, no botw or rdr2, they all have BIG FLAWS that without the big name would get a 8-9 instead of a 10.

Deathloop is no exception, except this time instead of the big name it was the somehow original take on classic arkane formula or fps in general.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I have really, really struggled to enjoy Deathloop. I don't know why. I just don't like it. I don't like the world, I don't give a shit about the story, the shooting is awful, the weapon saving system is shit, the puzzles are annoying, and the whole thing is repetitive in a really, really bad way. Every time I sit down to play it, I'm just kind of fidgeting because I'd rather be playing something else.

The reviews of this game are utterly preposterous. 10/10? Get fucking real.

anthony2690

Banned
blackspoitation?

Is this a real word, legit never seen it or heard of it before or have any idea what it means.

Anyway, I think you need to put less faith in reviews and play games for yourself, reviewers just like ourselves are ordinary people with different tastes and opinions.

Everyone seems to love fallout 4 or Nier Automata, two titles I ended up buying due to everyone else's hype for them & disliked both of them, Nier had great music though, but I thought the gameplay and story was awful.

Crackdown 3 widely panned and disliked, but I really enjoyed my time and thought it was a lot better than crackdown 1 myself.

tommib

There's nothing political about the game, unless you're saying black leading characters are political
Yeap, there’s 0 political content in the game. It’s just a bunch of cult scientists and their loop discoveries. Colt and Juliana are both super hot and charismatic though. I’m sure someone will find that political.

I for one love the game and find it super creative. Love the space age design, the art direction, the colours, the music and the voice acting. It stands out clearly this year. It’s also super entertaining. AI is dumb because they want to make the whole action portion of the game feel like an arcade game. It’s a fast paced game. Is it perfect? No. It’s very, very clever in its structure though and that was enough to wow a lot of the critics. It has a clear vision and it’s focused. It’s also not another AAA open-world with 500 hours of cutscenes.

And original OT is here:

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I think it's the lack of games... oh a new game to review!
Returnal is the same... it's ok but I don't like it THAT much like reviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom