• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm starting to think that Microsoft has already done too much to "lose" the next generation of gaming

SleepDoctor

Banned
Are you suggesting Cloud isn't going to succeed?

"
Probably something like this or similar
2020 - The Last of Us 2 (probably an upgrade to PS5)
2021 - The Last of Us 2 MP (or whatever they call it)
2020 - Ghost of Tsushima (probably with PS5 enhancements)
2020 - Dreams
2020-2021 - PS5 release window game Killzone MP or Socom or similar
2020-2021 - PS5 release window game probably Ratchet and Clank
2020-2021 - Ps5 release window game GT
2020-2021 - Ps5 release window game (remake by Bluepoint, probably Demon Souls??)
2021ish - The MLB Show
2021ish - God of War II
2022ish - HZD II
2022ish - Spider-Man 2
2022ish - Days Gone 2
2023ish - non-ND Uncharted game
2023ish - New Naught Dog Franchise

- Probably various titles being worked on by Japan Studio
- This leaves out their various studios working on VR titles"

"Probably" "probably" "probably".

Its a safe bet this one knows absolutely nothing lol. Wouldn't give his/her words any weight 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
"
Probably something like this or similar
2020 - The Last of Us 2 (probably an upgrade to PS5)
2021 - The Last of Us 2 MP (or whatever they call it)
2020 - Ghost of Tsushima (probably with PS5 enhancements)
2020 - Dreams
2020-2021 - PS5 release window game Killzone MP or Socom or similar
2020-2021 - PS5 release window game probably Ratchet and Clank
2020-2021 - Ps5 release window game GT
2020-2021 - Ps5 release window game (remake by Bluepoint, probably Demon Souls??)
2021ish - The MLB Show
2021ish - God of War II
2022ish - HZD II
2022ish - Spider-Man 2
2022ish - Days Gone 2
2023ish - non-ND Uncharted game
2023ish - New Naught Dog Franchise

- Probably various titles being worked on by Japan Studio
- This leaves out their various studios working on VR titles"

"Probably" "probably" "probably".

Its a safe bet this one knows absolutely nothing lol. Wouldn't give his/her words any weight 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Pretty sure he/she blocked me for calling em out on their BS. Shrugs

SleepDoctor

Banned
Pretty sure he/she blocked me for calling em out on their BS. Shrugs

Lol he made up a game line up and timeline and posted it as fact to argue someone's opinion.

Hzd 2
Days gone 2
Non nd uncharted game
New nd franchise

"Probably various titles being worked on by Japan studios"

When they're so bothered they just type a bunch of bs to "win" a discussion 😭😭😭😭

The last 2 things I've seen about the Netherlands are now "Marco Van Basten threw the Nazi sign on live tv wthout being drunk" and "The Xbox brand is dead in the Netherlands".
I think the real concern here should be "What the hell is happening in the Netherlands" ?
What the hell has this comment to do with console gaming? Sony is not only killing it in the Netherland but in Europe as a whole. And thats a fact. For 4 generations now...There is not much wrong in the Netherlands, on the other hand there is defenitly a lot wrong in the USA, ever tought about that?

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
What the hell has this comment to do with console gaming? Sony is not only killing it in the Netherland but in Europe as a whole. And thats a fact. For 4 generations now...There is not much wrong in the Netherlands, on the other hand there is defenitly a lot wrong in the USA, ever tought about that?
Don’t go all nationalist on me, I’m not even American. Your countryman’s quote was that the Xbox brand is dead in Holland. For the company with the most consumer friendly principles to be dead in a country says at least a little bit about the consumers in that country, I’m afraid. But you shouldn’t care that much what I think.

Ivellios

Don’t go all nationalist on me, I’m not even American. Your countryman’s quote was that the Xbox brand is dead in Holland. For the company with the most consumer friendly principles to be dead in a country says at least a little bit about the consumers in that country, I’m afraid. But you shouldn’t care that much what I think.

Xbox being dead in his country dont say anything about the people there though.

SirTerry-T

I am amazed by how satisfied and excited the Xbox community is by a bit of flashy advertising and good PR. Xbox have still to release a good game that is original and not just another sequel to Gears.

They key problems at Xbox are the same, low quality or unoriginal exclusives that are also available on PC. No matter how much they undercut the sale price of games with Gamepass, it cannot compensate for the lack of high quality exclusives in the eyes of potential buyers.
C'mon now, let's not pretend Sony fans never wanked themselves into a frenzy over every tweet or comment Cerny, Boyes and Yoshida made

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
First of all I dispute that Xbox is dead anywhere until I see evidence that nobody plays xbox games on game pass, buys any Xbox console or downloads game pass pc games in that region. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if it wasn’t selling high numbers but if it was in fact dead, it would say something about the game consumers (or the gaming market if you prefer) in the Netherlands, who by the way don’t have to all be Dutch. I haven’t even specified what I think it says and I’m already being approached as if I had dissed the citizens of the Netherlands. This is textbook market analysis because the brand has collected a high amount of goodwill from consumers in other territories in the years since the Xbox one reveal. Everyone takes a deep breath please. Thanks.

Ivellios

First of all I dispute that Xbox is dead anywhere until I see evidence that nobody plays xbox games on game pass, buys any Xbox console or downloads game pass pc games in that region. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if it wasn’t selling high numbers but if it was in fact dead, it would say something about the game consumers (or the gaming market if you prefer) in the Netherlands, who by the way don’t have to all be Dutch. I haven’t even specified what I think it says and I’m already being approached as if I had dissed the citizens of the Netherlands. This is textbook market analysis because the brand has collected a high amount of goodwill from consumers in other territories in the years since the Xbox one reveal. Everyone takes a deep breath please. Thanks.

I dont know if Xbox is dead in his country or not, that was not the point of my post.

I merely disagree with your statement, i dont believe consumers from his or any other country not buying Xbox tells anything about them, just that the brand may not be popular enough in these countries

Dory16

Banned
I dont know if Xbox is dead in his country or not, that was not the point of my post.

I merely disagree with your statement, i dont believe consumers from his or any other country not buying Xbox tells anything about them, just that the brand may not be popular enough in these countries
It says only what you say it does?
You could ask me what I think it says beyond the fact that Xbox is unpopular in the Netherlands, especially if you’re questioning my decency as it appears that you are.
I think it also says (provided that the “dead” statement can be verified) that having the most pro consumer practices is not at the top of the list of what consumers in the Netherlands look for and that other things are.

Klayzer

IKR. What a ridiculous take. Some of these Xbox fans are insane. For the record, it tells me they like PlayStation and Nintendo way more than Xbox period. Why try to come up with these silly justifications for why they're not as popular.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lol he made up a game line up and timeline and posted it as fact to argue someone's opinion.

Hzd 2
Days gone 2
Non nd uncharted game
New nd franchise

"Probably various titles being worked on by Japan studios"

When they're so bothered they just type a bunch of bs to "win" a discussion 😭😭😭😭

Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Spider-Man were very successful titles. It should be obvious we're going to see sequels for these games next generation.

Last of Us Part standalone multiplayer is also in development.
Naughty Dog is also rumored to be working on new title.

This was rumored back in 2018.

Gran Turismo game.

They're not BS, these things are likely to happen.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Spider-Man were very successful titles. It should be obvious we're going to see sequels for these games next generation.

Last of Us Part standalone multiplayer is also in development.
Naughty Dog is also rumored to be working on new title.

This was rumored back in 2018.

Gran Turismo game.

They're not BS, these things are likely to happen.

Im all for it if they come to fruition.

But end of the day, these are "rumors". Nothing official. Making up a timeline and all off mere opinion is not fact.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Im all for it if they come to fruition.

But end of the day, these are "rumors". Nothing official. Making up a timeline and all off mere opinion is not fact.

Timeline is merely a guess and not as important. The point is that people are saying Sony has a problem and that's not the case based on what we know now.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Timeline is merely a guess and not as important. The point is that people are saying Sony has a problem and that's not the case based on what we know now.

Like I said before. I don't agree with that assessment. But posting a guess as a fact is not winning any discussion either. If it was the other way around that same poster would scold the person doing it.

If you're not going to add anything to the discussion. Why even jump in the thread? Is it so bad some of these guys feel the need to "defend Sony's honor" or something?

Its tired and old already. If you can't have a discussion like a normal person, don't say anything at all. Saddest part is a lot of theses dudes are "grown" men.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Like I said before. I don't agree with that assessment. But posting a guess as a fact is not winning any discussion either. If it was the other way around that same poster would scold the person doing it.

If you're not going to add anything to the discussion. Why even jump in the thread? Is it so bad some of these guys feel the need to "defend Sony's honor" or something?

Its tired and old already. If you can't have a discussion like a normal person, don't say anything at all. Saddest part is a lot of theses dudes are "grown" men.

Funny that it's called defending Sony's honor, but not defending MS from a subpar generation compared to the others.

Overall, it's a discussion about the future of BOTH companies in the gaming world.

Developing a stand alone MP title for TLOU is based on job listings and hiring people for MP title. It's called a "rumor" because it's not confirmed.

GT "rumor" is based on a statement by the developers.

New Naughty Dog games comes from them looking for talent for their next project.

Horizon Zero Dawn?

“Just wait until you see the sequel,” the actress replies. “You’re gonna die. I know some secrets. You’re gonna die.”

They're not merely guesses, these "rumors" have good support, but not confirmed. The possibility is likely based on the information and the success of the first titles.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Funny that it's called defending Sony's honor, but not defending MS from a subpar generation compared to the others.

Overall, it's a discussion about the future of BOTH companies in the gaming world.

Developing a stand alone MP title for TLOU is based on job listings and hiring people for MP title. It's called a "rumor" because it's not confirmed.

GT "rumor" is based on a statement by the developers.

New Naughty Dog games comes from them looking for talent for their next project.

Horizon Zero Dawn?

They're not merely guesses, these "rumors" have good support, but not confirmed. The possibility is likely based on the information and the success of the first titles.

Oh no it goes both ways. But since the xsx reveal we have like 30 xsx threads and fanboys doing overtime on this shit.

Edit: Still not official and release dates are definitely guesses "new nd franchise 2023".

Last edited:

Ivellios

It says only what you say it does?
You could ask me what I think it says beyond the fact that Xbox is unpopular in the Netherlands, especially if you’re questioning my decency as it appears that you are.
I think it also says (provided that the “dead” statement can be verified) that having the most pro consumer practices is not at the top of the list of what consumers in the Netherlands look for and that other things are.

I never questioned your decency, as i said before i just disagree with your statement, no need to take this personally.

I dont believe Xbox is "dead" anywhere, just the least popular console in some countries.

I also think calling Microsoft the most pro consumer questionable.

Dory16

Banned
I never questioned your decency, as i said before i just disagree with your statement, no need to take this personally.

I dont believe Xbox is "dead" anywhere, just the least popular console in some countries.

I also think calling Microsoft the most pro consumer questionable.
Until Xbox 's competitors offer a netflix like subscription service where I don't have to buy every game, or make exclusives available to subscribers day one, in addition to pretty much full backwards compatibility and support for cross play, I'm afraid that I have a claim that MS is the most pro-consumer at the moment.

Ivellios

Until Xbox 's competitors offer a netflix like subscription service where I don't have to buy every game, or make exclusives available to subscribers day one, in addition to pretty much full backwards compatibility and support for cross play, I'm afraid that I have a claim that MS is the most pro-consumer at the moment.

Fair point, GP is one of the best things Microsoft did in recent times and im considering subscribing to it for PC. Though i do wonder how viable this is for them in the long run.

Ask Sony where they run PSNow
This is not xbox, this apparently is Azure. Azure is a computing and storage cloud platform... it can be used for anything, just like a computer (it's a bunch of computers)... Still Microsoft, but it doesn't make xbox any good, not directly anyway.
They are also the only brand with solid footing in console, PC, cloud streaming or subscription based gaming all at the same time.
You see, it's not really possible to argue a word like "solid" what do you even mean by "solid", they are a third grade player in each of them (maybe not subscription, but if I am not mistaken PSNow is the top subscription service in therms of user base).
- They sell less consoles than either Sony or Nintendo
- They only publish games on PC (as far as I know the windows store still can't handle games properly, so MS in effect only publishes games on PC).
- I'm not sure for subscriptions, but here is the thing, the only people who benefit from this are the platform owners.
I don't assume anything in terms of power, I clearly state it as a pre condition for MS to make the impact that they aim for in the next gen.
Your whole argument starts with an assumption in therms of the relative power of the machine.
The bottom line is this: Ms has all the tools to get into the console sales race but clearly chooses not to by releasing their first party games on PC day one and by developing Xcloud. It's not an excuse.
I would argue that if they either let their studios create top tier games, like Sony and Nintendo are doing, they could have fared better whether or not their games were released on PC (that wasn't the case early in this gen, their sales were still much lower than Sony's ).
They have a different business model. The cloud is like the electric car. 7 years from now, there will be companies that have succeeded with their cloud transition and companies that died
You seem to be so sure about the whole cloud thing, I see that there is a strong push for it, but not such a strong demand... obviously I could be wrong. But the numbers MS are getting come mainly from free to almost free new registrations (buy a video card, chances are you'll get 3 months free... then there is/was that 1$ offer). I don't like what it could do to gaming. Having rotating libraries of games on each services, like you have on Netflix and other movie streaming services, as an example Netflix has Harry Potter episodes 5 to the end... I wanted to watch the series with my daughter and well, we can't start in the middle.

Psykodad

Banned
I hope you realize that "dead" is figure of speech, right?

Besides, it not just the Netherlands, it's most of the world.

Last edited:
So when not many Dutch people buy an Xbox than something must be wrong with them??
Do you realy believe that?? Than you are delusional ore worst: you just dumb..now i realy dont care what you think😉

Last edited:

Ruben43cb

I have to disagree with the thread. I have a ps4 pro and xbox one x. I love both but honestly use my xbox one x more. If you look at the highest selling games they are multi platform (cod mw, fifa etx) and I play them on the more powerful console. Plus gamepass has been amazing. That alone... outer worlds, dmc5, gears 5, outerwilds... I was going to buy anyway and that's half the price of my one x! So xbox has my sale next gen. So does ps5 for exclusives.

Last edited:

Jad-Just_A_Dale

Neo Member
I agree with the original post, but the games themselves are increasingly becoming the platform. It was mostly unheard of decades ago, but it slowly started to happen. With cross-play and cross-progression it's going to matter less which platform actually wins for developers. Microsoft owns two of the largest gaming platforms in the world and are constantly working to make part of their offerings hardware/platform agnostic. It's going to be a bigger deal that you can play Halo Infinite on a phone over getting a more premium experience on an Xbox Series X console or a high end PC. Local will always be better, but streaming is going to be able to take up many niches. I love that Microsoft is tackling streaming from both ends. I may not use Xcloud much while outside of my home, but I am already streaming Xbox games throughout my house with ease. That used to be something that I could only do on PC with Steam, and I never bothered to deal with Sony's convoluted version of this.

I don't play Rocket League, but if I did I would only have to ask my friends if they played Rocket League. There wouldn't be any broken hearts over me not having a PS4 while they only have that system. I believe that I can buy it for any platform and just search their uid to play with them online. That's the future, that's awesome. I do play Wargroove and I know that it has cross-play. I'm hoping that every cross-platform game embraces cross-play and cross-progression in the future. I'm also hoping that the ones that embrace it now improve upon it. I think that Microsoft is going to surprise us with their embrace of this trend by providing more tools beyond streaming tech and PC synergy. I mean people still own and buy bluray players and bluray discs while still streaming content from netflix or renting content from redbox. Game streaming is more special, but Microsoft seems like they're going to take the role of a gatekeeper and studio owner and say screw the format.

Microsoft is likely to become a lot more like Sony in a sense, but way more cohesive between all of their parts. Sony sells bluray players, consoles that play blurays, they offer their own streaming service(s) (I think that Vue and Crackle are still alive) and they also offer some of their titles on other streaming services. They create films and shows and they air in theaters and on tvs. Sony has their hand in every part of the stack, they even have it on the media in which they sell blurays and games. Microsoft is most likely going to do all of that from a gaming focus, and the combination of XCloud and Game Pass are only going to be the beginning of it. Their success is going to be that they always eat no matter what where people go and no matter what they do. Xbox Live services are being offered for Nintendo Switch games, they are really being aggressive about this and I can only see them taking advantage of every tide that isn't exclusive to any console manufacturer that's not themselves.

Brayden

Neo Member
what do you mean... if anything what MS is doing will cause more people to join... they are under better management, and are most likely going to start making better exclusives

Top Bottom