• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm starting to think that Microsoft has already done too much to "lose" the next generation of gaming

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Good point. So that would cause them to upgrade to the XSX. However, many of the people who bought the X were not necessarily hardcore Xbox fans. Some were PS4 Pro owners and PS-leaning gamers who bought an X because they fit your description. When next gen comes, ASSUMING there isn't a big difference in power between the two consoles (like we have now), I'd expect a lot of those people to choose PS5 rather than XSX.

True too especially those that only bought the Pro, actually no doubt there will be a lot of people buying PS or XsX only at least at launch. But I think a lot of people that bought both last time will probably buy both again. I'm not THAT hardcore since I really only liked Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS 4 so I'm not buying a PS 5 next gen unless they wow me with new IPs.

Dory16

Banned
No, you guys are just getting offended because I'm talking about Xbox.

I'll try again to make this VERY SIMPLE.

Halo will sell.

There's no denying that.

IF (Key Word: "IF" ) Halo has a little impact on sales for the NEW XBOX (next gen Xbox) because the majority decided to buy the game for the Xbox One, then that means Sony NOT having a big triple A launch title to sell people on the new PlayStation to compete with MS becomes less significant.

Again, pay attention to this point.

He said Sony is in trouble because they will NOT have a title as big as Halo to sell consumers on the next generation hardware.

I specifically pointed out that Sony probably doesn't need to have a title just as big to launch alongside the PlayStation 5 because its possible that a small portion of those Halo sales will be for the Xbox Series X.

If this happens, that means Sony NOT having a big title to compete against Halo to sell people on the next generation PlayStation hardware becomes LESS significant.

I used charts from November and December NPD to show that the majority of cross gen titles were made on last gen hardware and not the PS4\Xbox One and it's not out of the realm of possiblity (it's a likely scenario) that the majrotiy of sales will be for the XboX one, debunking his POINT.

If you don't understand this, then yes, you do have reading problems.
His point was never my point. My point is that while you’re console crusading on GAF, MS is completing its masterful scheme for total ubiquity in gaming while also bypassing console sales as the success barometer.
Nintendo for example may sell more switches than Xbox sells series X next holiday season but I have no doubt that MS would never want to swap their position in this industry with Nintendo’s.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
His point was never my point. My point is that while you’re console crusading on GAF, MS is completing its masterful scheme for total ubiquity in gaming while also bypassing console sales as the success barometer.
Nintendo for example may sell more switches than Xbox sells series X next holiday season but I have no doubt that MS would never want to swap their position in this industry with Nintendo’s.
Your point has nothing to do with my point. You keep saying "MS doesn't care" which means it's IRREVERENT.

I sure as hell don't plan to buy the rectangular box. Pure evil that thing is. Damn lousy rectangular figures mass cloning themselves for world domination fucking mutated bio matter n shit.

Tho MS has been doing a good job aquir -~squirrel~ studios I just don't see them ever doing anything worthy with them aside Forza, gears, Halo.

Truthfully I don't know about next gen as a whole I might be calling it idle for awhile.

meirl

Banned
138689058428yfpko.jpg

Look at all the multi-platform titles and see that they sold better on last gen consoles compared to current gen consoles.

Zelda: BotW sold just over 900k with a very high attach rate on the Switch (which released in March) and sold around 400k on the WiiU.

Here is what you're saying:

You expect Microsoft to sell around 4 million Xbox Series X units and have a very high attach rate for Halo Infinite for the Xbox Series X just like Zelda (Ha!) and push massive numbers.

What I'm saying is not bullshit.

you are talking about multiplats. Is HALO INFINITE a multiplat?? lol

HALO has ALWAYS been a system seller exclusive for XBOX. And especially halo infinite WILL be a system seller and people jump to xbox series X def. because of halo infinite. it will be HUGE!

sony is damn stupid they should have sold the last of us 2 with ps5 together and optimize it for ps5! this would make the launch for ps5 HUGE, but now? what do they have for ps5 during the launch? nothing special! This just shows that arrogant sony is BACK! they will fail so hard, its going to be a bloodbath.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
I used charts from November and December NPD to show that the majority of cross gen titles were made on last gen hardware and not the PS4\Xbox One and it's not out of the realm of possiblity (it's a likely scenario) that the majrotiy of sales will be for the XboX one, debunking his POINT.

If you don't understand this, then yes, you do have reading problems.

What are you talking about, Sony Defence Force Member? you even PROVED my POINT lol

"Zelda: BotW sold just over 900k with a very high attach rate on the Switch (which released in March) and sold around 400k on the WiiU."

So more than double the sales on switch compared to wii u and high attach rate, so PEOPLE BOUGHT the SWITCH because of an EXCLUSIVE game - EXCLUSIVE (!!!) NOT (!!!) multiplat title!

Is Halo a MULTIPLAT? NO. What does that mean? --> People WILL buy an xbox series X BECAUSE of halo infinite and there will be a HIGH attach rate.

Thanks for proving my point, Sony Defence Force Member. ☺️

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What are you talking about, Sony Defence Force Member? you even PROVED my POINT lol

"Zelda: BotW sold just over 900k with a very high attach rate on the Switch (which released in March) and sold around 400k on the WiiU."

So more than double the sales on switch compared to wii u and high attach rate, so PEOPLE BOUGHT the SWITCH because of an EXCLUSIVE game - EXCLUSIVE (!!!) NOT (!!!) multiplat title!

Is Halo a MULTIPLAT? NO. What does that mean? --> People WILL buy an xbox series X BECAUSE of halo infinite and there will be a HIGH attach rate.

Thanks for proving my point, Sony Defence Force Member. ☺

So you provided one example and I provided many.

God, you fanboys are ridiculous.

YES, Halo INFINITE IS a multiplatform.

Xbox One
Xbox Series X
PC

WiiU was not a successful console that sold and died when the Switch released. Many people either moved on from WiiU a long time ago. That's not the case with PS4\Xbox

Showed many example of multiplat titles not selling nearly as much on last gen titles vs new gen titles.

You're going to stick to Zelda BotW, yet I provided examples how that's generally not the case.

Thanks for proving my point, Sony Defence Force Member.

You didn't prove anything. What's worse is that you said Halo was a not a multiplat LOL

You failed bad on that one.

EDIT:
sony is damn stupid they should have sold the last of us 2 with ps5 together and optimize it for ps5! this would make the launch for ps5 HUGE, but now? what do they have for ps5 during the launch?

Again with the fanboy stuff.

No, I would think TLOU 2 will sell the majority of its copies on the PS4 and not the PS5 if the game released during the PS5 launch.

Didn't work out too well, huh? lol

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

HALO has ALWAYS been a system seller exclusive for XBOX. And especially halo infinite WILL be a system seller and people jump to xbox series X def. because of halo infinite. it will be HUGE!

Why is Halo Infinite going to change Xbox's fortunes when previous series entries didn't do so this generation? What's the difference exactly?

Klayzer

Why is Halo Infinite going to change Xbox's fortunes when previous series entries didn't do so this generation? What's the difference exactly?
I don't understand were all this absolute confidence in Xbox is coming from. You have posters acting like it's a mere formality that Xbox will ascend to the top nextgen.

What games and services that Xbox will debut nextgen will get Sony and Nintendo customers to invest in their platform? Judging by what happened this gen, it would seem very unlikely.

Playstation has the big exclusives imo and unless microsoft take rockstar or Nintendo theres no chance they will win. Who is willing to miss out on the last of us, spiderman, uncharted, nioh, demons souls, gran turismo, god of war and more? I’m not. Series x makes a great case as a third pillar after ps5 and switch, but no more than that. The series x reminds me of the original xbox one, with its very large, boxy design. If the ps5 is cheaper i have a feeling that ms will exit the console market by late 2021, dreamcast like.

sony is damn stupid they should have sold the last of us 2 with ps5 together and optimize it for ps5! this would make the launch for ps5 HUGE, but now? what do they have for ps5 during the launch? nothing special! This just shows that arrogant sony is BACK! they will fail so hard, its going to be a bloodbath.
This is one reason I always go with PlayStation, they support the console the whole lifetime, best games land end of the generation. MSFT abandoned 360 at the end, while Sony delivered for PS3.

We don't know launch games for PS5 yet, next gen starts when Sony says so.

MSFT running on Phil's hot air with nothing to show for xbone, in desperation MSFT jizzes prematurely with even more promises and reveals their miniPC and that games will come... just wait one more year. 😏

In the mean time Sony is releasing heavy hitters for current gen, Death Stranding a month ago, GoT and TLOU2 coming soon ...all for PS4. 💪

Can't fathom the trust xbots place in the empty promises Phil "hot air" Spencer has been hurling for a whole generation now.

Xbox fanboys are fun.
If you didn’t notice last gen, Sony stayed quiet and waited for Microsoft to spill everything.
Sony is playing chess.
Microsoft is playing checkers.
Let’s wait for a PS5 reveal before we start comparing :D

So you provided one example and I provided many.

God, you fanboys are ridiculous.

YES, Halo INFINITE IS a multiplatform.

Xbox One
Xbox Series X
PC

WiiU was not a successful console that sold and died when the Switch released. Many people either moved on from WiiU a long time ago. That's not the case with PS4\Xbox

Showed many example of multiplat titles not selling nearly as much on last gen titles vs new gen titles.

You're going to stick to Zelda BotW, yet I provided examples how that's generally not the case.

You didn't prove anything. What's worse is that you said Halo was a not a multiplat LOL

You failed bad on that one.

EDIT:

Again with the fanboy stuff.

No, I would think TLOU 2 will sell the majority of its copies on the PS4 and not the PS5 if the game released during the PS5 launch.

Didn't work out too well, huh? lol

How is Halo Infinite multiplat if the only platform it’s on are Microsoft platforms? Xbox One, Xbox SX, and PC all run Windows and all have the Xbox platform built into them. You need to sign into Xbox to play them.

Last edited:
Who is willing to miss out on the last of us, spiderman, uncharted, nioh, demons souls, gran turismo, god of war and more?

I am. These may be popular games but not everyone's going to like them. Now others like GT would be real draws but GT Sport had a bad launch and there's no telling if GT7 will have the same problems out the gate. As for the others (besides Spiderman)? They're multiplats; I can even get them on PC (eventually).

Now if Sony announced an UmJammer Lammy 2 or Tomba! 3, I'd be ALLLLL over those. But that doesn't seem to be their game design philosophy these days. Sad, because they've made it an either/or when it could easily be both, given their resources.

Dory16

Banned
Your point has nothing to do with my point. You keep saying "MS doesn't care" which means it's IRREVERENT.
Game pass isn’t irreverent. Sony charges me full price for everything. Exclusives day one on GP isn’t irreverent. Sony doesn’t do it on PS now. GP available in Xcloud isn’t irreverent. Stadia charges for every download.
Isn’t it strange that the one irreverent company you fingerpoint is the one with the most customer friendly practices by a wide margin? But again it’s not like your bias is something you don’t proudly exhibit.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How is Halo Infinite multiplat if the only platform it’s on are Microsoft platforms? Xbox One, Xbox SX, and PC all run Windows and all have the Xbox platform built into them. You need to sign into Xbox to play them.

Uhh... It's a multiplatform game. It doesn't matter how you sign it.... It's a multiplat.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Game pass isn’t irreverent. Sony charges me full price for everything. Exclusives day one on GP isn’t irreverent. Sony doesn’t do it on PS now. GP available in Xcloud isn’t irreverent. Stadia charges for every download.
Isn’t it strange that the one irreverent company you fingerpoint is the one with the most customer friendly practices by a wide margin? But again it’s not like your bias is something you don’t proudly exhibit.

It's irrelevant to the discussion. You comprehension is god awful.

DanielsM

Banned

HALO has ALWAYS been a system seller

Hm, I mean it depends on your definition of "system seller", Halo and Halo 2 I would say kept Xbox somewhat relevant although sales of Xbox were horrible (for the record, I have two original Xboxes that get used). The original Xbox did not sell well, somewhere around 24m units. Halo CE and Halo 2 sold well for a new franchise somewhere in the 5-8m units each... they kept Microsoft somewhat in the game. Halo 3 sold better 10m+ and is probably the peak of sales, been pretty much a downhill since that time.

exclusive for XBOX

Actually, many of the Halo titles have been on PC, that's not exclusive to Xbox. Even Halo CE was ported to PC way back in the day.

And especially halo infinite WILL be a system seller

Microsoft really doesn't care if people buy their plastic, buy into their services, sure. Also, not sure we know the quality of this title yet... I would imagine it will sell some units, but I am pretty fucking suspect of any GaaS title, let alone one with 343's track record. Halo Infinite will have to appear on PC at a minimum and really the only way it happens long-term is even more expansion to other platforms, imo.

Halo Infinite I believe was already confirmed for PC.

halo infinite WILL be a system

Maybe, but why not just play it PC?

people jump to xbox series X def. because of halo infinite. it will be HUGE!

10s of millions of people are not buying a Xbox SEXY edition for one game, Microsoft generally doesn't care if people buy the plastic. Whether or not Halo Infinite does well, I don't know, I remain suspect but Halo hasn't really been moving units, I mean we're at a 5-6m annual Xbox unit rate right now.... that ship has probably sailed. Generally, Xbox sales have been only really been decent 2 years out of 18 that I can see... 2010 and 2011... other than that they've been bad to mehh.... which is why they have been shifting to services.

All Sony is doing is rolling out games, there is no reason to wait... if the game is ready they'll launch it.... no different than The Last of Us on the PS3. In this case, The Last of Us Part 2 will actually be playable on the PS5 on day one from what I can gather. Not sure what the issue is there or why that would make a company "arrogant"... not even sure what this means to be honest. Seemed to work last time.

FYI the console warz are over, the sooner you get out of the trenches and breathe the fresh air probably the better.

In today's world I would consider a franchise a system seller to be in the 10-30m unit range of sales per title, but that is just my take on things. Anyone can say a title is a system seller but at some point you actually have to sell the systems.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Microsoft creates Windows so there’s that.

Does that mean they don't have to pay 30% to Valve to release the game on THEIR platform?

PC does not equal Microsoft because of Windows. They don't make the hardware. They don't own the game store launchers, outside of their own that nobody uses.

Liljagare

MS has a huge hurdle in order to reestablish itself, the brand is technically dead on alot of markets after this gen.

They better have a few huge things lined up.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I have a gaming pc and xbox tries to co-exist with pc. So i don't worry about xbox exclusives. Ps exclusives started to appear on pc too, but some years after release, and not every game does that. These two brand already lost my interest at this point. And with crossplay option, i will wait for ps exclusive policy and that particular games before i decide. But xbox not an option for now.

Vawn

Banned
I have a gaming pc and xbox tries to co-exist with pc. So i don't worry about xbox exclusives. Ps exclusives started to appear on pc too, but some years after release, and not every game does that. These two brand already lost my interest at this point. And with crossplay option, i will wait for ps exclusive policy and that particular games before i decide. But xbox not an option for now.

Most of the PS games on PC are only on PS Now via streaming years after release and for a short period of time. Better than nothing, but not enough to make a PS5 any less of a must-buy.

Xbox is still something only to consider if you can't afford a gaming PC and consider the very few quality Xbox exclusives must-plays.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Can't say Microsoft's games are multiplat without people telling you, "It's still owned by MS" and "You need to login to Xbox to play their games." Does that change anything? It's still a multi-platform game.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dory16

Banned
It's irrelevant to the discussion. You comprehension is god awful.
Your blind bias and internet military service to a console is very relevant to the conversation. But at least you throw in the towel when exposed, you should be proud of it instead of hiding behind my “comprehension”.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Can't say Microsoft's games are multiplat without people telling you, "It's still owned by MS" and "You need to login to Xbox to play their games." Does that change anything? It's still a multi-platform game.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

According to some people taking their last stand in the cross play debate of old and the better together Minecraft update, needing an Xbox LIVE login changes nothing ;).

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Your blind bias and internet military service to a console is very relevant to the conversation. But at least you throw in the towel when exposed, you should be proud of it instead of hiding behind my “comprehension”.
No, you're the one talking about great MS when it had nothing to do with the conversation.

Here's a tip:

If you're discussing a topic with someone, you stay on it and try not to deviate from it. If you bring up information that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, then it will be labeled as irreverent.

You exposed no one. I, on the other hand, exposed the fact that you're clearly not paying attention.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think people tend to underestimate how stale the PS360 gen had gotten by the end, and how that feeling laid a lot of the groundwork for the change of market leadership this gen.

It just ran so long that people were looking for a change. Bear in mind over the timespan of that generation things like motion gaming, and plastic instrument music games went from being absolutely mega to basically unsellable. Crazy rises and falls like that suggests to me that the market shift actually happened prior to the PS4/XBone launch, and that maybe Sony just ended up benefiting the most from that.

This, more than anything, is why I feel like MS chances in the next gen are being overstated. Although Xbox has done itself a lot of good in terms of mindshare over the last few years, I don't see much sign of it growing its core audience despite doing so much. On the other hand Nintendo has recovered wonderfully from the WiiU, and Sony is steadily maintaining its leadership precision by being as conservative as possible.

In simple terms the underlying market conditions and the overall status quo do not suggest to me a radical change in fortunes for anyone in 2020.

SleepDoctor

Banned
tenor.gif

Probably something like this or similar
2020 - The Last of Us 2 (probably an upgrade to PS5)
2021 - The Last of Us 2 MP (or whatever they call it)
2020 - Ghost of Tsushima (probably with PS5 enhancements)
2020 - Dreams
2020-2021 - PS5 release window game Killzone MP or Socom or similar
2020-2021 - PS5 release window game probably Ratchet and Clank
2020-2021 - Ps5 release window game GT
2020-2021 - Ps5 release window game (remake by Bluepoint, probably Demon Souls??)
2021ish - The MLB Show
2021ish - God of War II
2022ish - HZD II
2022ish - Spider-Man 2
2022ish - Days Gone 2
2023ish - non-ND Uncharted game
2023ish - New Naught Dog Franchise

- Probably various titles being worked on by Japan Studio
- This leaves out their various studios working on VR titles

Not that I agree with the post you replied but..... "PROBABLY"? really? Lmao. 😂😭😂😭.You guys need to stop if you cant come with a legit argument.

At least you didn't resort to personal attacks like most fanboys here tho. I can at least give you credit for that.

Humdinger

True too especially those that only bought the Pro, actually no doubt there will be a lot of people buying PS or XsX only at least at launch. But I think a lot of people that bought both last time will probably buy both again. I'm not THAT hardcore since I really only liked Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS 4 so I'm not buying a PS 5 next gen unless they wow me with new IPs.

Horizon is my GOTG, I really loved that game. I recently started my fourth playthrough. So by itself Horizon 2 will be enough to guarantee a PS5 purchase by me.

I hear you about your game preferences -- everyone is different -- but I like several other PS franchises as well, such as Days Gone, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Last of Us, and God of War. I'm looking forward to the next iteration of each of those games. I haven't gotten around to Spider-Man yet, though I'll probably like it when I do. I expect I'll like Ghost of Tsushima, too. Not sure about Death Stranding; I've always been kind of iffy on Kojima. But anyhow, those franchises are enough to draw me in.

On the MS side, I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Fable turns out. I enjoyed the old series. I'm also curious to see what The Initiative has up their sleeve. Hellblade 2 looks interesting, although I'm not sure I want to revisit that world -- a bit too grim and anxiety-provoking for me.

Anyhow, next gen will definitely be interesting. I do think MS will give Sony a much better run for their money this time around. I disagree with the OP that they won't lose, at least if we define win/lose in terms of hardware, but it should be a much closer race.

DanielsM

Banned
Not that I agree with the post you replied but..... "PROBABLY"? really? Lmao. 😂😭😂😭.You guys need to stop if you cant come with a legit argument.

At least you didn't resort to personal attacks like most fanboys here tho. I can at least give you credit for that.

Probably means guess, even Sony can't tell you when these games are coming out for sure, either way chances are tons.

At least you didn't resort to personal attacks like most fanboys here tho. I can at least give you credit for that as you didn't add anything to the discussion.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Probably means guess, even Sony can't tell you when these games are coming out for sure, either way chances are tons.

At least you didn't resort to personal attacks like most fanboys here tho. I can at least give you credit for that as you didn't add anything to the discussion.

Can't add anything to a post that brought nothing to begin with. You literally posted your guess as a fact lol. Better luck next time tho. You fanboys are easily triggered smh 🤷🏻‍♂️

DanielsM

Banned
Can't add anything to a post that brought nothing to begin with. You literally posted your guess as a fact lol. Better luck next time tho. You fanboys are easily triggered smh 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sure it did, which is why you've been triggered and started name calling. Lol I never said it was exact fact, ball guesses, please note the question marks and ish...saying Sony doesn't have games in the pipeline is kind of laughable.
Better luck next time..

Last edited:
Give me your thoughts. Fanboys allowed but tone it down, thanks :)
This is a lot of rationalization or excuses to not sell consoles, and you text assumes a lot of things.

1. Sony has PSNow, which is like both game pass and xcloud combined, since it lets you download games if they have a version native to the platform you are playing on (we can argue about the quality of the stream all day, this is like arguing what American car is the best... Kind of pointless in the end).
  2. Xbox is not the most ubiquitous brand in gaming, at least not worldwide - in most of the world they are not even relevant.
  3. Phil only added lubricant in order to achieve Don mattrick's vision of a fully online gaming future, games as a service, etc. The difference between the two is mostly when it comes to their focus on augmented reality and vr (kinekt anyone?)
  4. Their new studios have not proven themselves yet, or those who did maybe mismanaged like MS has done for so long now. They rush games out to meet their arbitrary release schedule (3 exclusive a year one of which will be Halo, Gears, or Forza... If they adhere to the schedule too stricly all we will ever get will be more good but not great games).
  5. You assume that the next Xbox will perform better than the PS5, given that leaks so far point in the opposite direction, it makes you sound like a cheerleader kore than someone who has an informed opinion.
  6. The backward compatibility is not seamless, it's not even complete, you can't play most games from the 360, let alone OG xbox (it's very nice that they have it, and they are better than all other console manufacturer, but let's not act as if that was actual compatibility, they still have to do some manual labor for each game to be added to the compatibility list and work well)
The rest is drivel, there is no logical answer to give out.l, it seems like you read too much of MS PR material.

Saying the xbox one X is the generation's most powerful console is true. However note that - but the PS3 - every PS console were the most powerful console upon release, this is also true for the PS4 PRO, it was the most powerful console for over a year, before then that was the PS4, before then either the 360 or PS3 depending how you count, then the PS2 was AT RELEASE, then the PSX was the most powerful console at release.... etc.

Like the only time MS had a clear advantage in therms of power was with the OG xbox, and now a bit with the X (but the benefits of having an X over a PRO are certainly not enough so that games made for their platform can't even be adapted without serious sacrifices to the competing platform, this is how much of an advantage MS had over the PS2 in the OG xbox days - an actual developer who worked on Syphon Filter told me about this problem back in the days!)

Now I wrote enough :messenger_loudly_crying:

I haven't referenced any links whatsoever, I have just given my personal opinion about the console market. This is a gaming forum right?

Sorry to break it to you, but you don't have to work for Kotaku or IGN to write click bait content.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
ah, so PC is now a console. nice. dude, you are way too stupid. seriously, can't argue with this stupidness. we will see next holiday, how halo infinite will sell most on series X.
PC is another platform.

If you try to argue this point, then you're just a typical fanboy.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Calls me stupid for pointing out that PC is a different platform. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of the posters on here act like children.

Dory16

Banned
This is a lot of rationalization or excuses to not sell consoles, and you text assumes a lot of things.

1. Sony has PSNow, which is like both game pass and xcloud combined, since it lets you download games if they have a version native to the platform you are playing on (we can argue about the quality of the stream all day, this is like arguing what American car is the best... Kind of pointless in the end).
  2. Xbox is not the most ubiquitous brand in gaming, at least not worldwide - in most of the world they are not even relevant.
  3. Phil only added lubricant in order to achieve Don mattrick's vision of a fully online gaming future, games as a service, etc. The difference between the two is mostly when it comes to their focus on augmented reality and vr (kinekt anyone?)
  4. Their new studios have not proven themselves yet, or those who did maybe mismanaged like MS has done for so long now. They rush games out to meet their arbitrary release schedule (3 exclusive a year one of which will be Halo, Gears, or Forza... If they adhere to the schedule too stricly all we will ever get will be more good but not great games).
  5. You assume that the next Xbox will perform better than the PS5, given that leaks so far point in the opposite direction, it makes you sound like a cheerleader kore than someone who has an informed opinion.
  6. The backward compatibility is not seamless, it's not even complete, you can't play most games from the 360, let alone OG xbox (it's very nice that they have it, and they are better than all other console manufacturer, but let's not act as if that was actual compatibility, they still have to do some manual labor for each game to be added to the compatibility list and work well)
The rest is drivel, there is no logical answer to give out.l, it seems like you read too much of MS PR material.

Saying the xbox one X is the generation's most powerful console is true. However note that - but the PS3 - every PS console were the most powerful console upon release, this is also true for the PS4 PRO, it was the most powerful console for over a year, before then that was the PS4, before then either the 360 or PS3 depending how you count, then the PS2 was AT RELEASE, then the PSX was the most powerful console at release.... etc.

Like the only time MS had a clear advantage in therms of power was with the OG xbox, and now a bit with the X (but the benefits of having an X over a PRO are certainly not enough so that games made for their platform can't even be adapted without serious sacrifices to the competing platform, this is how much of an advantage MS had over the PS2 in the OG xbox days - an actual developer who worked on Syphon Filter told me about this problem back in the days!)

Now I wrote enough :messenger_loudly_crying:

Sorry to break it to you, but you don't have to work for Kotaku or IGN to write click bait content.
I could reply point by point because all the points are flawed ut that would take too long.
Yes Sony has PSNow but even they are not touting it as a system seller and it's not a significant part of their strategy going forward. Sony is barely marketing it. That says it all.
Ubiquity is not only related to console sales. I explained very clearly what makes them ubiquitous. Ask Sony where they run PSNow from or look at the number of publishers on GP. They are also the only brand with solid footing in console, PC, cloud streaming or subscription based gaming all at the same time. That's what ubiquitous means.
I don't assume anything in terms of power, I clearly state it as a pre condition for MS to make the impact that they aim for in the next gen.
The bottom line is this: Ms has all the tools to get into the console sales race but clearly chooses not to by releasing their first party games on PC day one and by developing Xcloud. It's not an excuse. They have a different business model. The cloud is like the electric car. 7 years from now, there will be companies that have succeeded with their cloud transition and companies that died.

Last edited:
I think people tend to underestimate how stale the PS360 gen had gotten by the end, and how that feeling laid a lot of the groundwork for the change of market leadership this gen.

It just ran so long that people were looking for a change. Bear in mind over the timespan of that generation things like motion gaming, and plastic instrument music games went from being absolutely mega to basically unsellable. Crazy rises and falls like that suggests to me that the market shift actually happened prior to the PS4/XBone launch, and that maybe Sony just ended up benefiting the most from that.

This, more than anything, is why I feel like MS chances in the next gen are being overstated. Although Xbox has done itself a lot of good in terms of mindshare over the last few years, I don't see much sign of it growing its core audience despite doing so much. On the other hand Nintendo has recovered wonderfully from the WiiU, and Sony is steadily maintaining its leadership precision by being as conservative as possible.

In simple terms the underlying market conditions and the overall status quo do not suggest to me a radical change in fortunes for anyone in 2020.
I think you hit the nail right on the head. I dont think there will such a huge rush to upgrade right out of the gate. I think MS biggest fans are hungry to get this gen over with and move on but the rest of the world wont be so quick to upgrade.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I could reply point by point because all the points are flawed ut that would take too long.
Yes Sony has PSNow but even they are not touting it as a system seller and it's not a significant part of their strategy going forward. Sony is barely marketing it. That says it all.

They have been doing a strong marketing push during this entire year and they recently made a deal with MS.

DanielsM

Banned
The bottom line is this: Ms has all the tools to get into the console sales race but clearly chooses not to by releasing their first party games on PC day one and by developing Xcloud. It's not an excuse. They have a different business model. The cloud is like the electric car. 7 years from now, there will be companies that have succeeded with their cloud transition and companies that died.

Hm, they had all the tools to get into the following sales races... what happened:

- smart phones (Windows Phone/Kin)
- digital software/game distribution (Games for Windows Live)
- music streaming (Groove Music, formerly Xbox Music formerly Zune Music)
- digital watches (Microsoft Band)
- PC/console camera/voice/playing assistant (Xbox Kinect)
- automobile voice assistant (Microsoft Connected Vehicle)
- computer/phone assistant (Cortanta) - basically in a near abandoned state as they continue to shutdown features and is only available in selected countries, embracing echo

I'll tell you what happened, failure to execute and compete on a massive level in the consumer space, which is why the axeman cometh i.e. Nadella. They also had all the tools in 2001 when the original Xbox was launched.

The "cloud" is mostly just a marketing term, that term is over a decade old now... you're talking about something in the future that has already happened in the past like it hasn't happen. The cloud offers very little to the average gamer, at least anything the typical gamer is going to notice - which is what everyone said on this forum in 2013 when Microsoft rolled out their "infinite power of da cloud" bullshit silly marketing.

Basically, you're trying to remarket the silly ass "power of da cloud" sogan, which means jack shit and jack left town.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hm, they had all the tools to get into the following sales races... what happened:

- computer/phone assistant (Cortanta) - basically in a near abandoned state as they continue to shutdown features and is only available in selected countries, embracing echo

I'll tell you what happened, failure to execute and compete on a massive level in the consumer space, which is why the axeman cometh i.e. Nadella. They also had all the tools in 2001 when the original Xbox was launched.

The "cloud" is mostly just a marketing term, that term is over a decade old now... you're talking about something in the future that has already happened in the past like it hasn't happen. The cloud offers very little to the average gamer, at least anything the typical gamer is going to notice - which is what everyone said on this forum in 2013 when Microsoft rolled out their "infinite power of da cloud" bullshit silly marketing.

Basically, you're trying to remarket the silly ass "power of da cloud" sogan, which means jack shit and jack left town.

Are you suggesting Cloud isn't going to succeed?

Dory16

Banned

Nope I’m just saying that what’s outdated is relying on console sales as the only barometer for how a manufacturer is doing, esp Csilla if it’s microsoft. Why? Ubiquity. I don’t need to market anything, the cloud or else. I just observe who’s made strides in the area and who hasn’t. I buy every console and always have. Your opinion is noted.

Top Bottom