• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm seriously tired of Nintendo (rant)

Shaqazooloo

The only thing that made triggered me about Nintendo in the last few days was when I tried to hook up Switch to the TV for the first time. At first it asked me to only use the AC adaptor that came with the thing. I spent about half an hour trying to figure out where it could be since I always just used my Oculus AC adaptor for Switch, phone, Quest etc. Luckily I found it in my wardrobe so that was a big "phew". So I plugged the thing into the TV and NOTHING happened, no signal. So I had to go, again, into the box that Switch came with, take that cable and only THEN it actually worked. I can understand the AC adaptor but even the HDMI cable? Get out of here...
Don't what that's about, i've used different cables for my Switch before I didn't have issues.

The only thing that made triggered me about Nintendo in the last few days was when I tried to hook up Switch to the TV for the first time. At first it asked me to only use the AC adaptor that came with the thing. I spent about half an hour trying to figure out where it could be since I always just used my Oculus AC adaptor for Switch, phone, Quest etc. Luckily I found it in my wardrobe so that was a big "phew". So I plugged the thing into the TV and NOTHING happened, no signal. So I had to go, again, into the box that Switch came with, take that cable and only THEN it actually worked. I can understand the AC adaptor but even the HDMI cable? Get out of here...
I've never had this issue. I've used multiple different HDMI cables over the years depending on console placement and never once had an issue.

Did I see someone post a hardware chart with the Switch compared to two next gen consoles that are supply constrained (and the data was inaccurate anyway)?

Thing is Nintendo can't continue to go down this route, They didn't get away with it on the Wii U, they brought time by going all in on the hybrid, and now portable, approach with the Switch but soon they are going to find that their software is going to tilt lopsided, which is already happening, and they are going to have to cut costs not only to balance sales, but to continue momentum for the more nostalgic fans because newer fans aren't buying the older games. That core fanbase of rabids is actually smaller than people think, and are shrinking. They used to almost carry a 3rd of a system.

mcz117chief

Don't what that's about, i've used different cables for my Switch before I didn't have issues.
I've never had this issue. I've used multiple different HDMI cables over the years depending on console placement and never once had an issue.
Tried to pull cable from my PS4Pro and it did nothing, haven't tested any other but at that point it seemed that Switch was particular about its cables for some reason.

Woopah

Did I see someone post a hardware chart with the Switch compared to two next gen consoles that are supply constrained (and the data was inaccurate anyway)?

Thing is Nintendo can't continue to go down this route, They didn't get away with it on the Wii U, they brought time by going all in on the hybrid, and now portable, approach with the Switch but soon they are going to find that their software is going to tilt lopsided, which is already happening, and they are going to have to cut costs not only to balance sales, but to continue momentum for the more nostalgic fans because newer fans aren't buying the older games. That core fanbase of rabids is actually smaller than people think, and are shrinking. They used to almost carry a 3rd of a system.
Why would Nintendo be cutting costs? What is about their route that they can't continue down?

The Switch is going to be Nintendo's 2nd highest selling platform ever in terms of hardware and 1st in terms of software. You can't explain strong growth with nostalgic fans or a shrinking fanbase.

Caio

I have a friend who buys new consoles with one specific game he wants to play and after finishing the game he sells everything ASAP while it has high value. Like a rental.

Im planning on doing that for BOTW2.

I never thought about it. It could work.

Clarissa

Banned
200.gif
Is that man in the gif about to cum?

Why would Nintendo be cutting costs? What is about their route that they can't continue down?

The Switch is going to be Nintendo's 2nd highest selling platform ever in terms of hardware and 1st in terms of software. You can't explain strong growth with nostalgic fans or a shrinking fanbase.
You're missing the point, the nostalgic part is the part that's shrinking. This is why you are seeing Nintendo offering deals more, gradually, because newer Switch buyers that weren't part of Nintendo's ecosystem aren't buying old games to make up for that shrinkage, despite what some people here want to believe.Hence why people often say, even in this thread, that "rabid fans will chew anything they put out" but there aren't as many of them as there were say, 10 years ago. maybe even 5 years ago

MagnesG

Banned
You're missing the point, the nostalgic part is the part that's shrinking. This is why you are seeing Nintendo offering deals more, gradually, because newer Switch buyers that weren't part of Nintendo's ecosystem aren't buying old games to make up for that shrinkage, despite what some people here want to believe.Hence why people often say, even in this thread, that "rabid fans will chew anything they put out" but there aren't as many of them as there were say, 10 years ago. maybe even 5 years ago
Do you have any factual data comparison to back up your statement? How much of these "Old games" need to sell in order for the narrative to be the opposite? 10 million per year?

KellyM

I just bought a Switch This Jan. I love it. I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Nintendo Gamecube.

Woopah

What is that based on? Switch software and hardware sales are continuing to grow, so where is this shrinking coming from?

There's no evidence that the number of Nintendo fans is lower now than in 2015. More people are buying Nintendo games than they were back then which means overall they have more fans. How would you tell the difference between a sale to a "rabid fan" and a normal fan.

Do you have any factual data comparison to back up your statement? How much of these "Old games" need to sell in order for the narrative to be the opposite? 10 million per year?

This is a dumb line of questioning, not only has Nintendo been transparent with numbers, but if one number is lower than another it sold "less", your "10 million a year" dismissal doesn't even make sense here. The FACT is that they aren't selling as much as they were not that they aren't selling, and at some point Nintendo will have to change some of their habits, which they are already gradually doing, in order to balance volume with profits. That doesn't mean however, that they are "in trouble" or anything. Just an observation.

What is that based on? Switch software and hardware sales are continuing to grow, so where is this shrinking coming from?

I never said anything about "switch" software in general and you know it, or have decided to replace what I actually said with your own imagination, which never happened. I'm talking about specifically older/nostalgic games. Been only talking about that the entire time.

isoRhythm

Banned
Because according to my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony, Nintendo games are evergreen and can be played by people of all ages. Nintendo games bring genuine joy to people who play them. Look at all those Nintendo ads where people are smiling. Those are genuine smiles. My friend often posts pictures of his kids dressed in Nintendo apparel playing the switch and they are smiling so brightly. You can't fake that.

He often hosts parties and invites his friends' kids over, buys pizzas for all of them and takes pictures of them playing the switch and posts them on social media.
I do not trust Switch owners around kids :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MagnesG

Banned
This is a dumb line of questioning, not only has Nintendo been transparent with numbers, but if one number is lower than another it sold "less", your "10 million a year" dismissal doesn't even make sense here. The FACT is that they aren't selling as much as they were not that they aren't selling, and at some point Nintendo will have to change some of their habits, which they are already gradually doing, in order to balance volume with profits. That doesn't mean however, that they are "in trouble" or anything. Just an observation.
Give me metrics instead of bullshitting like a retard. They aren't selling as much compared to what? The fact that you can't even present it but still dodging is pretty pathetic. That's FACT right there.

What old games are we talking here? BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party are all best selling titles for their franchise, breaking records far more than their predecessors.

At least elaborate these "habits" so I know what you're referring to.

I never said anything about "switch" software in general and you know it, or have decided to replace what I actually said with your own imagination, which never happened. I'm talking about specifically older/nostalgic games. Been only talking about that the entire time.
They only sell repackaged old games these days plus games offered on the NSO. Mario 3D All Stars already sold 8 million last time it was counted. So wtf are you talking about?

Last edited:

Woopah

My mistake, I thought you meant people buying software in general because of nostalgia, not older games in particular.

What games are you talking about specifically that are selling less now than 10 years ago? Or do you mean the fact that Nintendo offers older games as part of their online subscription rather than selling them through a virtual console?

Hydroxy

This is why I am not interested in anything Nintendo. They don't have games I'm interested in. I really loved the game selection on Nintendo DS.

Give me metrics instead of bullshitting like a retard. They aren't selling as much compared to what?

You are clearly not hereto have a discussion, and don't seem to be capable of having one due to your mental deficiencies.

To attempt to try and communicate with you a last time, which I really shouldn't given how you just crashed the quality of the conversation down to a 2nd grade level with your "mature" post above as quoted, if you had actually read anything that was written you would know that I'm comparing classic/nostalgia Nintendo game sales on one system to other Nintendo systems in the past (which include the minis btw though you have to gauge those differently since the games are build in), of course this may seem obvious now, but it's clear you never picked up on that, because you were looking to be confrontational instead of rational.

Currently, on the Switch older Nintendo titles aren't selling as much as they were before, and given many games aren't even on the Switch that were on some of the other systems, this should also be rather obvious but apparently it's not. It also helps Nintendo is transparent about sales.

Compared to Wii, DS(all models), 3DS(all models), The switch(all models) has had less attention and sales of older Nintendo titles for various reasons (except for the Wii U), of course this could change in the future but as of right now the pull and money for the older titles isn't matching previous systems, and I'm sure the minis didn't help with that either considering how successful those were.

So the question is why? Because the die hard fans are shrinking and the new gamers young or old to the Switch and the eco system are not making up for the shrink in nostalgia die hard, opting to instead buy more original/newer Switch titles than old classic Nintendo games. This doesn't mean Nintendo is in "danger" as clearly new Switch games are making vastly more money than old retro games (duh), however it does mean that if they want to still rake in as much dough as they have in the past they will have to balance their prices with to increase volume. You are already seeing Nintendo starting to change their strategy for older game prices and marketing, limitedly, due to this that they hadn't done before. There's nothing controversial here at all.

Rather simple really.

MagnesG

Banned
You are clearly not hereto have a discussion, and don't seem to be capable of having one due to your mental deficiencies.

To attempt to try and communicate with you a last time, which I really shouldn't given how you just crashed the quality of the conversation down to a 2nd grade level with your "mature" post above as quoted, if you had actually read anything that was written you would know that I'm comparing classic/nostalgia Nintendo game sales on one system to other Nintendo systems in the past (which include the minis btw though you have to gauge those differently since the games are build in), of course this may seem obvious now, but it's clear you never picked up on that, because you were looking to be confrontational instead of rational.

Currently, on the Switch older Nintendo titles aren't selling as much as they were before, and given many games aren't even on the Switch that were on some of the other systems, this should also be rather obvious but apparently it's not. It also helps Nintendo is transparent about sales.

Compared to Wii, DS(all models), 3DS(all models), The switch(all models) has had less attention and sales of older Nintendo titles for various reasons (except for the Wii U), of course this could change in the future but as of right now the pull and money for the older titles isn't matching previous systems, and I'm sure the minis didn't help with that either considering how successful those were.

So the question is why? Because the die hard fans are shrinking and the new gamers young or old to the Switch and the eco system are not making up for the shrink in nostalgia die hard, opting to instead buy more original/newer Switch titles than old classic Nintendo games. This doesn't mean Nintendo is in "danger" as clearly new Switch games are making vastly more money than old retro games (duh), however it does mean that if they want to still rake in as much dough as they have in the past they will have to balance their prices with to increase volume. You are already seeing Nintendo starting to change their strategy for older game prices and marketing, limitedly, due to this that they hadn't done before. There's nothing controversial here at all.

Rather simple really.

Are you a retard incapable of reading what I've wrote below or not?
They only sell repackaged old games these days plus games offered on the NSO. Mario 3D All Stars already sold 8 million last time it was counted. So wtf are you talking about?
How do you gauge people's interest on old games if they're not even offered except for a repackage like All Stars and classic games on Nintendo Switch Online? THERE ARE NO SALES WHATSOEVER BECAUSE IT IS NOT OFFERED. I'm not even interested to dive into this topic but the sheer delusionality of your narrative is just too much.

Classic mini systems are another story, and they're selling obscenely well for systems selling classic games. You just forgot the fact that even though only famous old titles are selling well (the point that you can't seem to comprehend unlike 2nd grade schoolers - 8 million 3D All Stars remember?), Nintendo games are pretty much focused on their gameplay for the most part, the wonderful experience of their gameplay wouldn't be tainted much even with the passing of time compared to games relying too much on graphics.

What you're spewing here is already been done by Nintendo since the introduction of the NSO. I really don't know wtf are you on here and I just don't care anymore. No metric just "observation".

Last edited:
How do you gauge people's interest on old games if they're not even offered except for a repackage like All Stars and classic games on Nintendo Switch Online?
You are the one confusing yourself adding elements to the conversation I never spoke of, like retailer packages.
By mentioning the Wii, DS(all models), and 3DS (all models) it should be clear what I'm talking about when speaking of "retro game sales" which is referring to classics brought on those systems. The new mario all stars release wouldn't count under that.

For 15+ years "retro Nintendo game sales" has meant the same thing, the only reason you are confused is because of lack of comprehension in addition to putting words in my mouth I never said. I'm talking about games on the stores/VC on these systems, hence the list of systems I gave. How many repackaged old classic Nintendo games were releases on the Wii?

Sometimes it's as simple as using your brain.

Derktron

Banned
I use to have a love for Nintendo games but after the Switch was released, I was not interested in their games anymore. Keep in mind I had the Switch, Switch Lite and again when I sold those two systems I tried again to like the Switch I got myself a used Switch Lite. I don’t know I guess I lost interest in Nintendo in general. I guess I expected more from them this generation.

MagnesG

Banned
You are the one confusing yourself adding elements to the conversation I never spoke of, like retailer packages.
By mentioning the Wii, DS(all models), and 3DS (all models) it should be clear what I'm talking about when speaking of "retro game sales" which is referring to classics brought on those systems. The new mario all stars release wouldn't count under that.

For 15+ years "retro Nintendo game sales" has meant the same thing, the only reason you are confused is because of lack of comprehension in addition to putting words in my mouth I never said. I'm talking about games on the stores/VC on these systems, hence the list of systems I gave. How many repackaged old classic Nintendo games were releases on the Wii?

Sometimes it's as simple as using your brain.
How many classic digital games are actually released on the Switch eShop that you're so confident that those games wouldn't sell? Do you have the data for classic games sold on Wii, WiiU for comparison?

And why the fuck only classics digital games like VC only counts if we're gauging the interest of public for classic games in general, and why the fuck a retail package like All Star and classic mini systems doesn't count for that?

Last edited:
How many games are actually released on the Switch eShop that you're so confident that those games wouldn't sell?
Which I never said, not even close, not even near the argument I've been making. You're confusing yourself so much you are forgetting what you read.

Take a step outside sir.

My mistake, I thought you meant people buying software in general because of nostalgia, not older games in particular.

What games are you talking about specifically that are selling less now than 10 years ago? Or do you mean the fact that Nintendo offers older games as part of their online subscription rather than selling them through a virtual console?
I'm talking about their retro games on demand in general. Compared to those games on previous systems/gens. VC or otherwise.

MagnesG

Banned
Which I never said, not even close, not even near the argument I've been making. You're confusing yourself so much you are forgetting what you read.

Take a step outside sir.
I forgot to add " classic digital" games. My bad. Just read back and answer my questions. I'm posting on phone here.

Last edited:

Woopah

I'm talking about their retro games on demand in general. Compared to those games on previous systems/gens. VC or otherwise.
As you point out it's difficult to see whether demand has decreased or not as Nintendo has changed strategy. Rather than going with a virtual console they are using older titles to add value to their NSO subscription service (which they didn't need to do on the Wii as online was free).

So given the vastly different business models I don't think we can definitely say that demand is going down or up, we don't have the data to measure that. All we can say is that Nintendo still thinks demand for older titles exist and they are using that demand to make make money from subscriptions instead of one-off purchases.

I'm expecting NSO to get a major revamp after 31 March and for more legacy content to be a part of the service, so it will be interesting to see we get. NERD built a brand new emulator for Mario 3D All Stars and Nintendo will want to use that for other projects.

Last edited:
Top Bottom