• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm seriously tired of Nintendo (rant)

Nintendo really needs to stop designing their hardware and games for the masses and focus on the real gamers.

Think about how small the Switch is compared to modern consoles... how is everyone supposed to know you're a gamer when they walk in your living room?

Then you have their games which are all over the place. One of their top selling games is some weird fitness RPG for people looking to get into shape. Luigi's Mansion looks like a Pixar movie. Breath of Wild is fine I guess, but the graphics aren't realistic at all and it lacks social commentary. Everything else is either a platformer, adventure game, sim, party game, RPG, shooter, racer, sports game, or fighter.

The Switch is only good for people that like Nintendo games, games that third parties put on the Switch, or like having the option to switch between playing on the big screen and going portable.

jigglet

Banned
Me too OP, the best way to deal with this is to become a multi-platform gamer. This fixed 99% of my problems.

The remaining 1% is the fucking Joycon drift. Now I can't even enjoy the Nintendo games I want to play. God dammit. (and no sorry, buying a Pro controller is a fucking cop out...I love the split controller too much)

Kokoro2020

Me too OP, the best way to deal with this is to become a multi-platform gamer. This fixed 99% of my problems.

The remaining 1% is the fucking Joycon drift. Now I can't even enjoy the Nintendo games I want to play. God dammit. (and no sorry, buying a Pro controller is a fucking cop out...I love the split controller too much)

That's why you buy a Pro Controller for your Switch. They are overpriced, yes, but I would rather just pay the $60 for an awesome controller than to stick with the Joycons and deal with the drifting issues.

jigglet

Banned
That's why you buy a Pro Controller for your Switch. They are overpriced, yes, but I would rather just pay the $60 for an awesome controller than to stick with the Joycons and deal with the drifting issues.

Fuck no. Split controller all the way. No way I'm playing Galaxy with a regular controller. I'd rather wait for the next version of the Switch than play Galaxy with a regular pad.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I like Nintendo and all, but imho they are the epitome of least effort, most reward. Maybe their brand recognition is still REALLY powerful or something? Also, the reason they do what they do is because they can and they know Nintendo fans will embrace it and eat it up. Technically in my eyes, they actually don’t have genuine competition which probably contributes to things as well. I’m sure Nintendo actually having legitimate console exclusives and offering a unique experience helps as well unlike Microsoft and even Sony.
But their games are fun, millions who played them enjoyed the heck out of it. What's so complicated about this?

I'll never understand how having polished gameplay focused games are called lazy effort while graphics whore window dressing games gets the praise.

Yeah Switch has been a big disappointment.

BOTW was amazing, Game of the Gen caliber title....but after than? Nothing really. Odyssey was terrible. A 5/10 Mario game AT BEST. I don't care about their rehashed games like Smash or Kart or Animal Crossing. That stuff sells, but I'm looking for new, meaningful titles, not casual stuff.

So yeah, 1 big game in almost 4 years is a pretty big bust to me. They really needed to have Zelda, a great Mario, and a great Metroid lined up pretty early. With all the cash coming in, it's shocking to me how little Nintendo cares about their core base. I guess they just feel the casual stuff sells so well they don't need to put any effort into their games.

MagnesG

Banned

BOTW was amazing, Game of the Gen caliber title....but after than? Nothing really. Odyssey was terrible. A 5/10 Mario game AT BEST. I don't care about their rehashed games like Smash or Kart or Animal Crossing. That stuff sells, but I'm looking for new, meaningful titles, not casual stuff.

So yeah, 1 big game in almost 4 years is a pretty big bust to me. They really needed to have Zelda, a great Mario, and a great Metroid lined up pretty early. With all the cash coming in, it's shocking to me how little Nintendo cares about their core base. I guess they just feel the casual stuff sells so well they don't need to put any effort into their games.
Their cores what you describe as rehashed games.

MagnesG

Banned
Probably true, I guess what I mean by that is there's two different consumers of Nintendo products. Those that like ambitious games, and those that like pretty much everything they make. I'm in the former camp.
I've stopped expecting much because magical games are just that rare, probably less than 10 in a lifetime. I've enjoyed what they produced for what it is since.

Tschumi

I can only say that i was set on getting a switch earlier this year, but when i found a second hand ps4 pro cost the same as new switch, i went with the pro, because i know the amount of games i really wanted to play was many times larger on the sony platform.

This was further reinforced by knowing that the idea of getting the wind waker hd on switch next year as part of an anniversary is just heresay..

They just haven't got the library to persuade me.

Is that the fault of management? It could well be. Very happy to sit on laurels and secure profits. Maybe this is because they don't want to go up against sony/xsx.. to that extent i understand.. but yeah, again, the library isn't enough for me.

Ps. Totally didn't realise xmas is in 3 days

Jethalal

Banned
The only problem for me is that they don't officially release stuff in my country so people have to get the console and games imported which adds to the exorbitant price. I'd stick to Sony for now even though I love the Zelda IP.

Senhua

Nintendo platform always catered to all ages games first which mean their first party games designed to be received by:
1. Kid and teens
2. Women
3. Casual adult gamer
4. Core portable oriented gamer
so hoping they would release "heavy" games like Astral Chain, BOTW etc constantly is futile.
Even their third party support usually consist of ported indie PC or old AAA games.

Just avoid their platform if all the above not your things

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Nintendo platform always catered to all ages games first which mean their first party games designed to be received by:
1. Kid and teens
2. Women
3. Casual adult gamer
4. Core portable oriented gamer
so hoping they would release "heavy" games like Astral Chain, BOTW etc constantly is futile.
Even their third party support usually consist of ported indie PC or old AAA games.

Just avoid their platform if all the above not your things

Ya I think this is a fair point. On one hand I grew up with Nintendo and I was a huge fan my whole life. But if these are the kinds of games they want to make that's fine if others are buying them and are happy, what can I do? Best to just let them enjoy and move on to other platforms. Plenty of other games to play on PC, PS, Xbox etc.

Last edited:

Caio

I got tired of Nintendo rehashed games and rehashed games and rehashed games, and the most funny thing is that they always sell millions, so why Should Nintendo try something different or improve or do something new ? Fans are happy with the rehashed games, so that is, for the majority of games. If you ask me, I will never buy a Nintendo console anymore if things do not change.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I got tired of Nintendo rehashed games and rehashed games and rehashed games, and the most funny thing is that they always sell millions, so why Should Nintendo try something different or improve or do something new ? Fans are happy with the rehashed games, so that is, for the majority of games. If you ask me, I will never buy a Nintendo console anymore if things do not change.

I have a friend who buys new consoles with one specific game he wants to play and after finishing the game he sells everything ASAP while it has high value. Like a rental.

Im planning on doing that for BOTW2.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I have a friend who buys new consoles with one specific game he wants to play and after finishing the game he sells everything ASAP while it has high value. Like a rental.

Im planning on doing that with BOTW2.
I've recently realised that. If I sell one of my two PS Vitas (why would i?) i'd make about $80 more if i sell them on an ebay equivalent than at the pawn shop... guess that's a tale as old as time xP

But their games are fun, millions who played them enjoyed the heck out of it. What's so complicated about this?

I'll never understand how having polished gameplay focused games are called lazy effort while graphics whore window dressing games gets the praise.

Oh, I’m not talking about their games, but other things like charging top dollar for outdated hardware and expensive accessories. $80 controllers for example. Their games are fun and excellent quality. Never denied that and again, I like Nintendo and grew up with them, but I guess I would just like to see a little more from them next generation.

Things like a better online infrastructure and maybe better hardware would be nice for a start, but what’s most important is that they continue to create quality and enjoyable games. I’m glad they march to the beat of their own drum. I guess I just felt like Nintendo got a little too comfortable and almost complacent in a way with their current success. Then again, what they are doing is working and who am I to judge?

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Nintendo fans are weird. I got in an argument with a friend about how its a good thing Nintendo overcharges for all its software and never has meaningful sales (makes his games library more valuable or something). Guy is so brainwashed he actually enjoys giving them more money.

Also defended the Joycon issue stating that Nintendo will not lose any class action lawsuits and that anyone complaining is making a mountain of a molehill.

Your friend sounds a lot like my friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy. :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:
Nintendo people will dead ass look at you and tell you that Super Mario 3D All Stars was a wonderful tribute to some classic games lol.

Personally I wouldn't go that far.

And I think it's quite cynical of Nintendo not to include Galaxy 2. Unless there's a reason for it which I haven't come across.

But I don't feel short-changed by having bought it. That's three of my all-time favourite games I can now play on the go (didn't like 64 DS so much). So I'm happy if not exactly over the moon.

Kokoro2020

Fuck no. Split controller all the way. No way I'm playing Galaxy with a regular controller. I'd rather wait for the next version of the Switch than play Galaxy with a regular pad.
Galaxy is fine on the Pro Controller. Besides, my JoyCons have the drift. I'm not dealing with that when I can just use the Pro Controller.

Kokoro2020

I'm not sure what you were expecting then. Most Nintendo games are casual.

You have a pretty skewed definition of "rehash". Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, sure, as literally a port of the Wii U game with a few extra characters and a new Battle Mode. But the only thing that's the same for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the core gameplay. You get a ton of new characters, a ton of new stages, a new story mode, the addition of Spirits. That's plenty of effort, and it's literally what a sequel should be.

The reason the "casual" stuff sells is because they are fun games for a lot of people. Those who looking for ambitious games are in the minority.

I'm not sure what you were expecting then. Most Nintendo games are casual.

You have a pretty skewed definition of "rehash". Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, sure, as literally a port of the Wii U game with a few extra characters and a new Battle Mode. But the only thing that's the same for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the core gameplay. You get a ton of new characters, a ton of new stages, a new story mode, the addition of Spirits. That's plenty of effort, and it's literally what a sequel should be.

The reason the "casual" stuff sells is because they are fun games for a lot of people. Those who looking for ambitious games are in the minority.

not really, BOTW was ambitious and sold great

I’m not asking them to abandon their casual rehashes, just devote more to their core to even things out

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm just now warming back up to Nintendo and it's because I'm playing the Wii U games I missed out on. Had one at launch but wasn't gaming much and sold it within a year. The same week I bought my 2nd Wii U, I also got a Switch for my wife. We play the Wii U more than the Switch.

The Switch has a great library but the thing feels like absolutely garbage in my hands. I don't have massive hands either, I'm 5' 9".

So for me, I'm loving the Wii U but can't be bothered with the Swtich. I borrowed Odyssey from my brother and I don't see what the hype is. It's a fun game but I really can't be bothered to play it.

Intoxicate

I'm just now warming back up to Nintendo and it's because I'm playing the Wii U games I missed out on. Had one at launch but wasn't gaming much and sold it within a year. The same week I bought my 2nd Wii U, I also got a Switch for my wife. We play the Wii U more than the Switch.

The Switch has a great library but the thing feels like absolutely garbage in my hands. I don't have massive hands either, I'm 5' 9".

So for me, I'm loving the Wii U but can't be bothered with the Swtich. I borrowed Odyssey from my brother and I don't see what the hype is. It's a fun game but I really can't be bothered to play it.
When I got my second Wii U and had installed all the games, I saw directly why I sold my first one. It takes forever to switch between games or just go through the menus.
I just sold it again and was hoping to get some of the games also on the Switch. With the Mario games we got in autumn there’s only Wii Sports and Nintendo Land left.
I don’t see the point of playing the Wii U more then the Switch when you have the snappier system with the same or enhanced games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
When I got my second Wii U and had installed all the games, I saw directly why I sold my first one. It takes forever to switch between games or just go through the menus.
I just sold it again and was hoping to get some of the games also on the Switch. With the Mario games we got in autumn there’s only Wii Sports and Nintendo Land left.
I don’t see the point of playing the Wii U more then the Switch when you have the snappier system with the same or enhanced games.
I hear where you're coming from but I'm not overly concerned with menu speed. In my case, I'm playing VC games, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame 5, Paper Mario Color Splash. It still has exclusives worth playing. I'll jump on the switch at some point because of BOTW 2 and Astral Chain. For the the being though, Wii U is my console of choice and I'm loving it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This thread is so fucking Stupid. My kid fucking loves Lego Mario, it is the greatest video game toy. He likes Mario Kart Live too, but so far Lego Mario is his obsession. In about 6 weeks I will play the updated 3D World with him and at some point do the same with the new Zelda spinoff. You know, actual games. They make games that are fun for all and I appreciate that.

Ceadeus

Nintendo tend to sit on their laurel after being successful. They know about all of the things they should work on but tell me why, they're not. Worst yet, they're the most secretive company to their customer. No sign at all of respect nor appreciation towards us. Watching their Nintendo Direct feels so much disconnected. Watching a guy speaking in foreign language like a robot, in a white uncluttered room, selling us their next breadcrumb.

Last edited:

Rran

The problem is that Nintendo started wasting their time with mobile games so we still aren't really getting a consolidated library. I guess they pay the bills.

I really like my Switch (BotW and Odyssey were showstoppers that raised my goodwill for the system through the roof) but Nintendo had a rough 2020. Nearly all their first-party releases this year had some major issue or caveat with them, and I also had problems with some of their 2019 stuff like Luigi (dull and clunky controls), Fire Emblem (often solid but too padded and over-written), and Pokemon (GameFreak technically, but absolute laziness and looked looked thoroughly amateurish next to the sublime Dragon Quest XI).

Also the drifting! Will I even be able to enjoy these games in a decade with busted joysticks??

Mario Kart Live is actually great though. Quirky, fun, inventive and novel--something Gunpei Yokoi would've loved. I think it's better than MK8, which I felt was pretty routine.

Last edited:

Dampf

Oh no... MH Rise Digital Event??

Usually that's the time where a big general Nintendo direct happens... :/ Don't tell me we won't get a general direct this month either...

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Usually that's the time where a big general Nintendo direct happens... :/ Don't tell me we won't get a general direct this month either...

90 Day Fiance The Other Day No Hope GIF by TLC

Woopah

Not really. 2017 had the Switch reveal event but in 2018 the first big Direct was March and in 2019 it was February.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Successful Nintendo is the worst Nintendo.
the big bang theory sheldon GIF

Yeah I agree. They build momentum then just Peter out.
I was expecting the 3DS teams to make software. Honestly indies and ports are mostly keeping the boat afloat. Unless Nintendo is going drop big loads in 2021

200.gif

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The only thing that made triggered me about Nintendo in the last few days was when I tried to hook up Switch to the TV for the first time. At first it asked me to only use the AC adaptor that came with the thing. I spent about half an hour trying to figure out where it could be since I always just used my Oculus AC adaptor for Switch, phone, Quest etc. Luckily I found it in my wardrobe so that was a big "phew". So I plugged the thing into the TV and NOTHING happened, no signal. So I had to go, again, into the box that Switch came with, take that cable and only THEN it actually worked. I can understand the AC adaptor but even the HDMI cable? Get out of here...

Last edited:
Top Bottom