• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm seriously tired of Nintendo (rant)

Kerotan

If you look at the sales patterns for those games you will understand why they go on sale when they do.

Really strong sales at launch then a severe drop off.

TLOU2, for example, had an 80% drop off after the first week. Putting a game on sale is a way to try and shift some extra units once the hype is gone.

I don't know why games like Mario Kart 8 don't suffer from this.

It can't just be fanboys. What fanboy is waiting months before buying the game at full price?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released in 2017 and is still selling millions of copies at full price in 2020. Are fanboys really sitting and waiting for years before deciding to buy.

People make the same arguments that "Nintendo Fans" are buying the same games over and over but looking at sales figures this makes no sense. What Nintendo fan has waited until Q4 2020 to eagerly pick up a Switch and a bunch of games that have also been out for ages.

If your game is still selling millions of copies months or even years after launch then that's not "fans lapping up the same stuff over and over". That's new customers or returning customers.

You cant have it both ways. Hardcore fans are the ones preordering and buying stuff at launch. So you can't then say its them who are driving sales of the console and the big selling games. years later.
Spiderman, god of war, ghost of tsutshima, Horizon. I'm sorry but they didn't all have big drops. Excellent legs in fact.

Woopah

Agreed.

Nintendo is miking Mario, Zelda and Pokemon like crazy, which is devaluating these franchises mid-term, instead of diversifying.

- Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, New Super Mario U, Super Mario Party, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Kart Ar, Mario Kart Tour, Super Mario Run, Mario Tennis Ace, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Super Mario Maker, Mario Paper: Origami, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Mario+Rabbids: Battle...
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Zelda Hyrule Warriors HD, Zelda Age of Calamity, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Zelda: Breath of the Dark, Zelda: Cadence of Hyrule
- Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee, Pokemon Sword & Shield, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Quest, Pokemon Café Mix, Pokemon Unite, Pokemon Go, Pokemon Shuffle Blitz, Pokemon Masters, Pokemon Whatever the fuck etc...

And where are F-Zero? Starfox? Waverace? Metroid? Donkey Kong? New stuffs? Old stuffs?

They're initial success relied on AAAA games (big exclusive AAA games), two actually BoTW and Odyssey, some AAAs like Mario Kart, Super Smash, Pokemon 8 or Luigi's Mansion3...and an incidentally successful AA game, Animal Crossing. But what else?
This year has definitely been rubbish, but for the past 3 years they have published a large variety of IP (I do wish that they'd rely on Mario less).

I was you. I realised that I'm not poor and can afford a gaming PC. I've just had the best year of gaming I've ever had.

I now barely ever think of Nintendo.

Saruhashi

Banned
Spiderman, god of war, ghost of tsutshima, Horizon. I'm sorry but they didn't all have big drops. Excellent legs in fact.

My main point was that it's not fanboys who are responsible for games shifting millions of units months and years after launch.

Its new or returning customers.

People always make those arguments that fans will keep on buying the same stuff over and over but can you really class them as "fans" when they are waiting so long to buy the game?

Mario Kart shifting millions of units years after launch? Must be those easily pleased fanboys who just waited years for some reason.

Animal Crossing selling millions 8 months after launch? Must be those superfans who didn't want the game at launch. Weird.

The talking point that "fanboys" will just by a Zelda or Mario game because they accept anything at all is just not supported by sales numbers and trends.

e&e

Banned
I'm still waiting on a Mario or Zelda game that's as magical as Mario 64 or Ocarina, nothing's come close imho. For me, the Nintendo of the 16bit and 64bit gens died a long time ago, they haven't been awful since then, just a bit greedy and soulless compared to old school Nintendo, kinda like Disney since after The Lion king (except Enchanted, that was great). I think they (a long with most of the entertainment industries) forgot why they were in their respective businesses, it never used to be about the money, that was more of a necessity and reward for doing something right, than the be all and end all.

It should be about bringing joy into people's lives and man do we need that right now. I think the people that run these mega corporations need to go on a retreat for a month with no internet access and remember what's important, something like that...
You can’t be this naive...how old are you?

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
This is why anecdotal evidence means jack shit lol...
Obviously. Im just sharing from my experience. I said the switch is a success. I’m just confused by it from my personal experience. Bought a couple games fo mr my son this Christmas but couldn’t believe they’re priced 99$ Canadian right now as well. This is BOTW too. It’s ridiculous when I just picked up bloodborne for 9$. Parents that buy a switch for their kids because they think it’s cheaper are in for a rude awakening. Don’t get me wrong, I love Nintendo but I’m just confused as to why it’s doing so well.

Clarissa

Banned
My main point was that it's not fanboys who are responsible for games shifting millions of units months and years after launch.

Its new or returning customers.

People always make those arguments that fans will keep on buying the same stuff over and over but can you really class them as "fans" when they are waiting so long to buy the game?

Mario Kart shifting millions of units years after launch? Must be those easily pleased fanboys who just waited years for some reason.

Animal Crossing selling millions 8 months after launch? Must be those superfans who didn't want the game at launch. Weird.

The talking point that "fanboys" will just by a Zelda or Mario game because they accept anything at all is just not supported by sales numbers and trends.

Because according to my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony, Nintendo games are evergreen and can be played by people of all ages. Nintendo games bring genuine joy to people who play them. Look at all those Nintendo ads where people are smiling. Those are genuine smiles. My friend often posts pictures of his kids dressed in Nintendo apparel playing the switch and they are smiling so brightly. You can't fake that.

He often hosts parties and invites his friends' kids over, buys pizzas for all of them and takes pictures of them playing the switch and posts them on social media.

My friend's vision is for every single kid to own a Nintendo Switch and I can see that coming true. With regards to questions about why Nintendo games don't drop in price, he laughs in response.
"Nintendo games should in fact increase in price. They are treasures. You don't see the price of gold ever falling do you? They rise. So why should you ever expect Nintendo games to fall in price?"

B Bodomism Lionel Richie Lionel Richie Jooxed Jooxed MagnesG MagnesG S Saruhashi

Last edited:
Because according to my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony, Nintendo games are evergreen and can be played by people of all ages. Nintendo games bring genuine joy to people who play them. Look at all those Nintendo ads where people are smiling. Those are genuine smiles. My friend often posts pictures of his kids dressed in Nintendo apparel playing the switch and they are smiling so brightly. You can't fake that.

Your friend is a gangster, an inspiration to all Nintenchads out there and a goddamn legend. But why did you bring me back to this absolutely shit thread? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Clarissa

Banned
Your friend is a gangster, an inspiration to all Nintenchads out there and a goddamn legend. But why did you bring me back to this absolutely shit thread? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Not only that. He's a model dad who truly loves his kids and treats his friends' kids equally well with all the sleepover parties with pizza and of course, the Nintendo games.

Any thread with the wise sayings of my friend are sacred and should be preserved for posterity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member

He often hosts parties and invites his friends' kids over, buys pizzas for all of them and takes pictures of them playing the switch and posts them on social media.

My friend's vision is for every single kid to own a Nintendo Switch and I can see that coming true. With regards to questions about why Nintendo games don't drop in price, he laughs in response.
"Nintendo games should in fact increase in price. They are treasures. You don't see the price of gold ever falling do you? They rise. So why should you ever expect Nintendo games to fall in price?"

B Bodomism Lionel Richie Lionel Richie Jooxed Jooxed MagnesG MagnesG S Saruhashi
Not only that. He's a model dad who truly loves his kids and treats his friends' kids equally well with all the sleepover parties with pizza and of course, the Nintendo games.

Any thread with the wise sayings of my friend are sacred and should be preserved for posterity.

uB0qfRd.jpg

Here's the catch though. This gen when Sony first party titles were smashing their records god of war, Spiderman etc, they still gave a generous sale 2 months after launch and within 12 months they could be got for under $20 on sale. It's just insane how good value playstation offers for full game purchases. Sony could be greedy and keep the prices high because those games sell at high prices.

The reason those games go on sale and can be bought for under $20 within a year is because Sony think that will make the most profit for them. Nothing else whatsoever. It's very naive indeed to think that Sony slash prices because they are not greedy. That's a very unhealthy attitude to have towards multinational companies. They are not your friend. They are in it for themselves. That doesn't make them bad, but don't let their marketing fool you into thinking you mean anything other than a potential wad of cash to them.

e&e

Banned
I'm sad that you're so cynical, how old are you? Is it wrong of me to believe for the best, even if I'm fully aware most will take the wrong road most of time?

No, it's not naive at all, I'm just not dead inside :p
Companies are not your friends! Never were, never will be. Period!

The sooner you learn that, the less time you will spend writing that childish block of text.

Last edited:

Kokoro2020

2020 hasn't been too great for Nintendo, that I can agree with. The Switch is actually my favorite Nintendo console, but 2020 hasn't done it justice. Not counting Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is really the only game I've enjoyed on it this year, as far as exclusives go.

Speaking of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, why make that a limited of time release? Just why? Imagine someone wanting to buy it after March not knowing it was a limited release, only to find out that it's no longer being sold.

And they should have given us Mario Kart 9, not Mario Kart Live.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Speaking of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, why make that a limited of time release? Just why? Imagine someone wanting to buy it after March not knowing it was a limited release, only to find out that it's no longer being sold.

Probably so they can release Super Mario All Stars Deluxe. With more shit to play.

---------------

2020 hasn't been great for anyone as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

2020 hasn't been too great for Nintendo, that I can agree with. The Switch is actually my favorite Nintendo console, but 2020 hasn't done it justice. Not counting Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is really the only game I've enjoyed on it this year, as far as exclusives go.

And they should have given us Mario Kart 9, not Mario Kart Live.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is a special anniversary title, to make it feel special Nintendo limits it availability like they do with other special anniversary titles.

Last edited:

TalentedMrJ

The fact that Nintendo games hold their value speaks to their quality

And in most walks of life, you get what you pay for

Sony, MS, and 3rd party games go on sale within months

Kokoro2020

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is a special anniversary title, to make it feel special Nintendo limits it availability like they do with other special anniversary titles.

I don't care. There's no good reason to make it a limited release. Tons of people have ranted about this, and I agree.

At the very least, keep it in the digital stores, even if you have to make the physical version limited.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I don't care. There's no good reason to make it a limited release. Tons of people have ranted about this, and I agree.

At the very least, keep it in the digital stores, even you have to make the physical version limited.
These are limited edition old games that they would want to rerelease again for the next 5 years, probably on the 40th. They probably don't want this release to stay.

The Skull

New I.P's are sorely needed from Nintendo and that's coming from someone who enjoys the switch and it's library of games. Since the Wii u they've just had Splatoon and ARMS?

Kokoloko85

I want more games and I want the back catalogue.
Like I really wanted a new Pikmin 4 and some new types of AAA games from Nintendo Not Mario, Zelda or Metroid.

Plus I want Nintendo to bring stuff like Metroid trilogy and Wind Waker HD to Switch faster

Woopah

large variety of ips? what games?
I think so.

Let's look at 2019 as an example.

Apart from games in the Mario, Pokémon and Zelda series, Nintendo also published games in the Labo, Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Dragon Quest franchises. (There was also Yoshi and Luigi's Mansion, but those series can be lumped in with Mario).We also got three new IP with Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina and Ring Fit.

That's a lot of games that aren't Mario, Pokémon or Zelda. Add eShop releases and there would be even more new and old IP used.

New I.P's are sorely needed from Nintendo and that's coming from someone who enjoys the switch and it's library of games. Since the Wii u they've just had Splatoon and ARMS?

2020 has been rubbish for this, but if we look at new IP published by Nintendo in the last three years (using Western release dates and not including eShop only games):

2019 - Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina and Ring Fit.
2018 - Octopath Traveller, Labo, Fitness Boxing and Sushi Striker
2017 - Arms, Ever Oasis, 1 2 Switch, Snipperclippers and Miitopia.

I'm hoping 2021 is a return to form (having Buddy Mission: Bond come to the West would be a good start).

This isn't anything new for Nintendo, and it's worse when they have a successful product. You know what is better for a business then a successful product? A successful product that you don't have to much much effort into.

Here is the thing with Nintendo (and this is coming from somebody that didn't grow up with Nintendo as I only started playing games with the PS1). They make great games, and their franchises have rich history. They are the Disney of video games and that comes with all of the negatives as well. They basically ARE video game nostalgia for a good amount of people. They aren't in a rush to put out games because they don't need to. They don't discount their games often because they don't need to (and believe that it helps maintain a positive image and sense of worth similar to Apple and honestly it does to a good majority of the population). Same thing with Pokemon; why would Game Freak put effort into changing things when troves of people will still buy it if they half ass it.

They struck gold with the Switch and they don't need titles to keep people interested for better or worse. They don't have competition, at least not in the same way Microsoft and Sony compete. In Japan they basically have the country on lock with no effort at all because the product is basically tailored made for the demographic.

The game situation won't change as long as they have a successful product, and they can keep the Switch idea rolling for generations.

I was you. I realised that I'm not poor and can afford a gaming PC. I've just had the best year of gaming I've ever had.

I now barely ever think of Nintendo.
Damn you are really cool. I'm super impressed by how not poor you are. Tell me more.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I think so.

Let's look at 2019 as an example.

Apart from games in the Mario, Pokémon and Zelda series, Nintendo also published games in the Labo, Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Dragon Quest franchises. (There was also Yoshi and Luigi's Mansion, but those series can be lumped in with Mario).We also got three new IP with Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina and Ring Fit.

That's a lot of games that aren't Mario, Pokémon or Zelda. Add eShop releases and there would be even more new and old IP used.
Nintendo developed all these games? I dont see the "a lot" anywhere, some titles yes. But a lot?mmm dunno

GAMETA

Banned
Are you one of those twitter adult-children? Bitching about the tournament thing? And the park think?

"I'm having dreams about my relationship with a video-game company..." Bitch, please, how old are you? Go find a job or something, bro...

I had a dream last night. I was participating in some sort of tournament about crafting some stuff hosted by the Kit and Krysta from Nintendo Minute. After some time I had enough of the BS and straight up yelled, "why are you just not giving people what they want, GAMES"

I believe this was a deep insight in my relationship with Nintendo right now. Nintendo milks their IPs like crazy, Lego Mario, AR Mario Kart, now that direct with the theme park, a ton of unnecessary tournaments and a lot more I'm forgetting. And of course all that copyright strikes do not leave Nintendo in a good light either.

But what everyone of course, really wants from them is games. What did we get in the second half of 2020? A Pikmin 3 Port, ROM dumps and a Hyrule Warriors, basically all super low effort and low budget stuff. They did that WHILE investing a ton in toys and I'm seriously tired of this direction. Games should always come first. When was the last time we had a full general direct, fans were begging for mind you? That was more than a year ago.

Now that theme park direct and again, the absence from them at the TGA (Smash is sooo milked right now and I couldn't care less) is the last middlefinger from them to the fanbase this year. Hopefully.

Seriously, I'm so tired of Nintendo. If BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 weren't in development right now, it would be a lot worse than the WiiU era and that says a lot. Atleast Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto were sympathic faces of the company and made a ton of wholesome jokes, it was always a joy watching the directs even though game announcements sucked. But now? That Nintendo doesn't exist anymore.

Spend your time and money were you won’t feel like that. They won’t give a shit as long as the money keeps rolling in. Vote with your wallet if that’s how you feel.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Switch is so much better than the disaster of a console Wii U. I will say Nintendo had some quality first party releases during the Wii U years, but that still led to long droughts because the system had really no 3rd party support. The first party stuff during the Switch years has been pretty good in my opinion although certainly the last 12 months have been disappointing.

While Switch doesn't get a ton of huge budget AAA 3rd party games, it does get a significant amount of so called AA 3rd party stuff and a ton of indies(some great, some garbage)

Some of my most played games on Switch are actually 3rd party.(Dragon Quest, Civilization VI, and Brigandine.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo developed all these games? I dont see the "a lot" anywhere, some titles yes. But a lot?mmm dunno
They weren't the primary developer for all them no, but the other poster was taking about Nintendo as a publisher not a developer. They collaborate with external developers on many titles, but those titles are still Nintendo games.

Publishing retail games from 10 different IP in 12 months is a lot in today's era.

To put this in perspective, Sony published 8 retail games in total in 2019 while Microsift published 6.

I play primarily Playstation but I have noticed in the times I bust out a Nintendo system whether NES or someone elses Switch, I get this weird 'simplistic' joy of just 'pure gaming' if that makes any sense? Like, no bullshit, everything is straightforward, and it takes me back to being a wee little girl. I dunno what it is.

I like Nintendo and all, but imho they are the epitome of least effort, most reward. Maybe their brand recognition is still REALLY powerful or something? Also, the reason they do what they do is because they can and they know Nintendo fans will embrace it and eat it up. Technically in my eyes, they actually don’t have genuine competition which probably contributes to things as well. I’m sure Nintendo actually having legitimate console exclusives and offering a unique experience helps as well unlike Microsoft and even Sony.

I will never understand how Sony is considered anti-consumer and greedy for selling next generation games for $70 which has the latest, cutting-edge technology, but yet no one bats an eyelid at watered down old third party Switch ports for $60. Also, paying full price for 5 year old games feels weird to me. I know they don’t devalue supposedly, but it’s still disappointing especially on antiquated hardware.

Last edited:

Woopah

They weren't the primary developer for all them no, but the other poster was taking about Nintendo as a publisher not a developer. They collaborate with external developers on many titles, but those titles are still Nintendo games.

Publishing retail games from 10 different IP in 12 months is a lot in today's era.

To put this in perspective, Sony published 8 retail games in total in 2019 while Microsift published 6.
I got curious about this so decided to look at how many IP other publishers used in their retail games in 2019:

2K - 4
Activision Blizzard - 3
Bandai Namco -13
Capcom - 2
EA - 7
Koei Techmo - 6
Sega - 8
Sqaure Enix - 5
Ubisoft - 9

So to conclude, yes 10 is a lot.

Nintendo fans are weird. I got in an argument with a friend about how its a good thing Nintendo overcharges for all its software and never has meaningful sales (makes his games library more valuable or something). Guy is so brainwashed he actually enjoys giving them more money.

Also defended the Joycon issue stating that Nintendo will not lose any class action lawsuits and that anyone complaining is making a mountain of a molehill.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Hahahahahahaha, no game nintendo ever made will be as entertaining than seeing their fans melting down in the internet. Never change Nintendo, never.

TLZ

Banned
Also defended the Joycon issue stating that Nintendo will not lose any class action lawsuits and that anyone complaining is making a mountain of a molehill.
Really now? My Joycon moving completely on its own now never sitting still is making a mountain of a molehill? It makes my games completely unplayable and extremely frustrating.

As much as the Switch is cool, they did a crap job at QC this time.

Last edited:

Woopah

Really now? My Joycon moving completely on its own now never sitting still is making a mountain of a molehill? It makes my games completely unplayable and extremely frustrating.

I'm sure you've heard this before but electrical contact cleaner worked perfectly for me. Sprayed the controllers once and never had a problem since (fingers crossed)

How much do you weigh?

Top Bottom